• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Alanna

Alanna Pushes Pause

19 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

All of those gyms sound like good options. Best of luck in your decision.

Indeed! Any gym with a squat rack and a bench has the essentials, right?

3 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

how about you count moving back home as an adventure!

Haha, yes, this whole process is an adventure! Albeit not quite what I had in mind for that goal :P. I'll have my adventures soon... just need to get my feet back under me!

im-going-on-an-adventure1.gif?w=350&h=20

.... soon

3 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Naps are great for when you push pause! ;)

Doctors who instruct you to get regular massages are even greater! 

051795168a30072742473624854f0f74328ccd-w

That said, I broke the cardinal rule of getting over jet lag and took a long nap late in the day... ah well. Eventually my body will catch on to the new time zone.

Yes! Now I have an excuse to get regular PT again :D. Too bad insurance won't cover it...

• Like 1

Monday, 6/14 Recap:

• Daily plan: completely forgot to write one... my poor excuse is that I went fasted to my doctor's appointment and never had breakfast.
  • Daily to-do:
    • Movement: evening walk... finally got >10k steps for the day
    • Adulting: loooooong doctor's appointment, and also organized my supplements for the next week. Looks like this doctor will be a good match, too (and not just because of the aforementioned prescribed massages).
    • Adventure: not yet... though I did some more reading
  • Screen curfew: yep
  • No brains: yep
  • Like 4

Glad you found a doc you like! That's so important

4 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Naps are great for when you push pause! ;)

Doctors who instruct you to get regular massages are even greater! 

I feel like naps are essentially pushing pause :) They go quite well with your challenge.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

Glad you found a doc you like! That's so important

12 hours ago, Alaysia said:

Good doctors that you find rapport with are so special. Like Leprechauns.

Yes, and a sine qua non for the year I've designated as "figure out the health stuff." I'll readily admit that I'm a tricky patient, too -- I'm excellent in the sense that I'm proactive, organized, and able to follow through and make any necessary changes (e.g., I've been following a pretty strict diet for >6 months now). However, I also have a background in biology, do a lot of my own research, bring my own ideas to the doctor's office, and ask a lot of questions, which sometimes 1) doesn't go over well, or 2) takes the conversation outside of the doctor's own experiences so they can't provide an opinion. That doesn't seem like it will be an issue here.

12 hours ago, Alaysia said:

I'm sorry if I missed it, but what are you currently reading? *being nosy*

Feel free to be nosy -- I love talking about books :D. Also, the timing of your question is perfect since I finally went on a proper adventure yesterday and got a library card!

Right now I'm reading The Long War by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter (my own copy, not a library book). It turns out it's actually a sequel to The Long Earth which I haven't read (oops), but I seem to have caught up alright. At the library I picked up two Garth Nix books (To Hold the Bridge, which is a collection of short stories, including one set in the Old Kingdom, and A Confusion of Princes) as wells as a Pratchett Discword novel (Moving Pictures). I also picked up some music (Of Monsters and Men, The Head and the Heart, Florence and the Machine, and Chvrches).

On that note, any book and music suggestions would be appreciated! I particularly want to add to my collection of lifting music.

• Like 6

Tuesday, 6/15 Recap:

• Daily plan: done
  • Daily to-do:
    • Movement: morning walk --> a bit over 10k steps for the day
    • Adulting: more groceries, made a dent in unpacking, and started a load of laundry
    • Adventure: got a library card and picked up some books and music
  • Screen curfew: yep
  • No brains: yep

My mom has already realized that it is futile to put away my favorite cooking pans since I use them so often, and has taken to leaving them on the stove top for me instead :P. (For the record, I do clean up after myself, but we tag-team -- for example, I sometimes wash all the dishes, regardless of whether I made them, and she'll put away everything in the drying rack... except those pans, as of yesterday.)

• Like 5

I've heard of Florence and the Machine, but haven't listened to any of their stuff. Anything in particular you'd recommend?

I would also love to add to my 'lifting music' collection! Let me know if you get any good suggestions?

YAY LIBRARY CARD! DID YOU CHECK ABOUT E-BOOKS AND E-AUDIOBOOKS? They're awesome :D 

(I have a library thing)

It's awkward when you feel like you know a little more than the doctor. But I'm glad you found someone it isn't an issue with!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

I've heard of Florence and the Machine, but haven't listened to any of their stuff. Anything in particular you'd recommend?

I would also love to add to my 'lifting music' collection! Let me know if you get any good suggestions?

YAY LIBRARY CARD! DID YOU CHECK ABOUT E-BOOKS AND E-AUDIOBOOKS? They're awesome :D 

(I have a library thing)

I'm most familiar with her earlier albums -- Lungs and Ceremonials... Shake It Out, Never Let Me Go, No Light No Light, Only If For A Night, and You've Got the Love are favorites. I don't think I've used her music for lifting, though some of the songs were good for running. The album I just got from the library is their newest -- I'll let you know how I like it!

YES they have audiobooks! I haven't explored their selection yet, but the librarian said they have lots of Terry Pratchett :). Haha, it's okay -- I have a book thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alanna said:

Also adding Dog Days Are Over, another good one that had been removed from the playlist:

Well, I guess my work sountrack is going to be Florence and the Machine. *totally okay with this*

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Alanna said:

Yes, and a sine qua non for the year I've designated as "figure out the health stuff." I'll readily admit that I'm a tricky patient, too -- I'm excellent in the sense that I'm proactive, organized, and able to follow through and make any necessary changes (e.g., I've been following a pretty strict diet for >6 months now). However, I also have a background in biology, do a lot of my own research, bring my own ideas to the doctor's office, and ask a lot of questions, which sometimes 1) doesn't go over well, or 2) takes the conversation outside of the doctor's own experiences so they can't provide an opinion. That doesn't seem like it will be an issue here.

2 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

It's awkward when you feel like you know a little more than the doctor. But I'm glad you found someone it isn't an issue with!

Who else loves docs who talk waaaay too fast, like your understanding isn't really as important as spitting out the info like a disclaimer on a prescription ad because it's general information? (Coincidentally enough, the intersection of people who do this and people who have helped truly solve a problem of mine has been 0.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alanna said:

Feel free to be nosy -- I love talking about books :D. Also, the timing of your question is perfect since I finally went on a proper adventure yesterday and got a library card!

Yes!!!! I love the library, one of my favorite places :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Who else loves docs who talk waaaay too fast, like your understanding isn't really as important as spitting out the info like a disclaimer on a prescription ad because it's general information? (Coincidentally enough, the intersection of people who do this and people who have helped truly solve a problem of mine has been 0.)

Yep - Not a high success rate. I have a intersection of one though. However, most of the stuff he's recommended hasn't worked, so something had to stick eventually.

(he diagnosed the chronic sinus infection thingie - but he talks SO FAST and doesn't listen so I'm considering dropping him)

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Libraries are the BEST :D:D:D 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

Yep - Not a high success rate. I have a intersection of one though. However, most of the stuff he's recommended hasn't worked, so something had to stick eventually.

(he diagnosed the chronic sinus infection thingie - but he talks SO FAST and doesn't listen so I'm considering dropping him)

Have you considered bringing this up to his staff or him personally? Totally get wanting a higher success rate than that, though, lol. GPs and derms haven't impressed me much lately.

3 hours ago, Urgan said:

1 hour ago, elvenengineer said:

Hmm, I don't think I've actually encountered any speed talkers, but that also sounds super frustrating. To be fair, the issue here is probably deeper rooted in how insurance companies expect appointments to run (i.e., very quickly). The doctor I see now (and the naturopath I saw this past year) doesn't work through insurance since no company would pay for 1.5 hr new patient appointments (mine actually ended up being 2 hrs just with the doctor because I had so much history to cover). I'm really lucky that I can afford to pay out-of-pocket right now.

As a side note, I only have a n of one, but the GP I saw while in England was much less brusque/dismissive compared to the traditional doctors I've seen in the US, even though their appointments are similarly rushed... I've been told they get training in how to listen while in med school.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elvenengineer said:

Libraries are the BEST :D:D:D 

3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

YES! Libraries and used book stores. But I need to stop carting books around, so... libraries it is.

tumblr_mxaiislzZq1rm76xwo1_500.jpg

Although this library I'd like to avoid...

23a9b5e254c36c1483a0b303340fc3fed3b4a0a9

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

Have you considered bringing this up to his staff or him personally? Totally get wanting a higher success rate than that, though, lol. GPs and derms haven't impressed me much lately.

Yes. Another problem is that when I arrive for my appointment at 2pm, I don't expect to leave until 5pm. That's with a 20 minute convo with doctor.

Hour to an hour and a half in the waiting room, hour to an hour and a half in the back waiting for doc.... just no. That's ridiculous.

I have found that it's faster if I go in either right before lunch, or late in the day (last apt is at 4, so I'm usually out by 6)

I have voiced my concerns, but it's kind of a 'you're free to find someone else' kind of a thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

Yes. Another problem is that when I arrive for my appointment at 2pm, I don't expect to leave until 5pm. That's with a 20 minute convo with doctor.

Hour to an hour and a half in the waiting room, hour to an hour and a half in the back waiting for doc.... just no. That's ridiculous.

I have found that it's faster if I go in either right before lunch, or late in the day (last apt is at 4, so I'm usually out by 6)

I have voiced my concerns, but it's kind of a 'you're free to find someone else' kind of a thing.

Okay wow, that alone is reason enough to go elsewhere, just sayin'. Their scheduling is crap and/or you're not valued.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Depends if the Doctor is there or not. (This sounds partially related to the GP discussion...)

Haha, can you imagine walking into a GP's office and getting THE Doctor instead?

16 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

14 hours ago, Urgan said:

Okay wow, that alone is reason enough to go elsewhere, just sayin'. Their scheduling is crap and/or you're not valued.

What Urgan said... hope you can find a better practice when you move.

14 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Perfect! I have some Imagine Dragons songs on my lifting playlists, but lack this one. However, perhaps my omission can be excused since I've included this song:

• Like 2

Wednesday, 6/16 Recap:

• Daily plan: done
  • Daily to-do:
    • Movement: lifted (squats) and managed to scrounge a bit over 10k steps
    • Adulting: plenty -- highlights included updating my driver's license address (finally) and making dinner for my mom
    • Adventure: went to a local farmer's market, conveniently located next to the gym
  • Screen curfew: respected
  • No brains: what's a neuron again?
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Haha, can you imagine walking into a GP's office and getting THE Doctor instead?

Depending on which Doctor, that'd be awesome!

28 minutes ago, Alanna said:

No brains: what's a neuron again?

It's not allowed to thinking of neurons when your challenge goal is "no brains" :P 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Perfect! I have some Imagine Dragons songs on my lifting playlists, but lack this one. However, perhaps my omission can be excused since I've included this song:

YES!!!!  I am adding that to my lifting play list RIGHT NOW. 

I also like to feel like titanium when I am lifting:

• Like 1

On 6/15/2016 at 8:57 AM, Alanna said:

Right now I'm reading The Long War by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter (my own copy, not a library book). It turns out it's actually a sequel to The Long Earth which I haven't read (oops), but I seem to have caught up alright. At the library I picked up two Garth Nix books (To Hold the Bridge, which is a collection of short stories, including one set in the Old Kingdom, and A Confusion of Princes) as wells as a Pratchett Discword novel (Moving Pictures). I also picked up some music (Of Monsters and Men, The Head and the Heart, Florence and the Machine, and Chvrches).

On that note, any book and music suggestions would be appreciated! I particularly want to add to my collection of lifting music.

booooks! did you like the long war? if so, i'll add the long earth to my list. terry wrote a book with neil gaimen (Good Omens) and it was hilarious.

also <3 chvrches!

On 6/15/2016 at 9:07 AM, elvenengineer said:

(I have a library thing)

On 6/15/2016 at 9:36 AM, Alanna said:

I'm most familiar with her earlier albums -- Lungs and Ceremonials... Shake It Out, Never Let Me Go, No Light No Light, Only If For A Night, and You've Got the Love are favorites. I don't think I've used her music for lifting, though some of the songs were good for running. The album I just got from the library is their newest -- I'll let you know how I like it!

YES they have audiobooks! I haven't explored their selection yet, but the librarian said they have lots of Terry Pratchett :). Haha, it's okay -- I have a book thing.

i would agree that florence isn't a lifting artist but definitely worth a listen! she puts on a great show too... so if you get the opportunity...

• Like 2