• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Alanna

Alanna Pushes Pause

On 6/16/2016 at 9:40 AM, AugustaAdaByron said:

It's not allowed to thinking of neurons when your challenge goal is "no brains" :P 

I tried to find a neuroscience pun/joke to demonstrate the usefulness of knowing *some* neuroscience, but the internet seems to be deficient there. So here's a powerlifting-relevant pun instead:

tumblr_mvcmjq2TKm1rr20vfo1_500.png

On 6/16/2016 at 10:00 AM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

YES!!!!  I am adding that to my lifting play list RIGHT NOW. 

I also like to feel like titanium when I am lifting:

Nice!

I think it's time for me to share my two favorite PR/max effort songs:

On 6/16/2016 at 10:42 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

booooks! did you like the long war? if so, i'll add the long earth to my list. terry wrote a book with neil gaimen (Good Omens) and it was hilarious.

also <3 chvrches!

i would agree that florence isn't a lifting artist but definitely worth a listen! she puts on a great show too... so if you get the opportunity...

It's good so far, though it has a different feel than his other work (less irreverent, in particular) -- TP and SB built a very cool playground, and I always enjoy seeing what interesting world(s) good sci-fi/fantasy authors come up with. My memory of Good Omens is really fuzzy -- I should put it on my to re-read list.

I just found Chvrches on spotify not to long ago and have really enjoyed their music! Any suggestions for similar artists?

I can just imagine based on what I've seen of her music videos!

Thursday, 6/16 Recap:

• Daily plan: done
  • Daily to-do:
    • Movement: lifting (bench). Only got 6.somethingk steps for the day, though.
    • Adulting: yep, and the highlight was sending in my registration to vote
    • Adventure: went to Goodwill to try to find some better clothes to wear in this weather... found a few things including a great dress that would be perfect for swing dancing!
  • Screen curfew: a tad late (8:12 pm)
  • No brains: just gainz

Friday, 6/17 Recap:

• Daily plan: done
  • Daily to-do:
    • Movement: morning walk. Got a bit over 10k steps today
    • Adulting: plenty
    • Adventure: went to another thrift store
  • Screen curfew: getting off now! (8 pm on the dot)
  • No brains: besides reading some neuroscientist Ryan Gosling during my search for a neuroscience pun

8991be9d7129aede652ed3fb3a1bae2a.jpg

*corpus callosum = the main fiber tract (= lots of projections from many neurons, which they use to send signals to each other) connecting  the two hemispheres of the brain

I lifted at the two close YMCA branches on Wednesday and Thursday. While I could make it work if I needed to, I have a better option (Gold's Gym). All of the bars at branch 1 are ridiculously old and practically worn smooth, which would make heavy deadlifts... interesting. It's funny what I notice after 2 years of powerlifting that didn't bother me after 3 months of lifting. The second branch is newer and has newer equipment, but is smaller (one power rack and one bench) and I'd also really like to have a platform for deadlifts -- their floor looked very, very hard, and I can just imagine my 300+ lb deadlifts echoing throughout the building XD. They *might* be okay with it, but I'll go for the place with 2 power racks, a few benches, and a platform.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SevenofSeven said:

One of the few times I hit our little gym, I scared a dreadmill bunny by dropping a bar from knee height on a deadlift. Her look of absolute surprise was precious. ;)

Aren't they all 'bout that heart rate, that heart rate anyway? You were doing her workout a solid.

• Like 2

It's good so far, though it has a different feel than his other work (less irreverent, in particular) -- TP and SB built a very cool playground, and I always enjoy seeing what interesting world(s) good sci-fi/fantasy authors come up with. My memory of Good Omens is really fuzzy -- I should put it on my to re-read list.

I just found Chvrches on spotify not to long ago and have really enjoyed their music! Any suggestions for similar artists?

I can just imagine based on what I've seen of her music videos!

A few similar artists that I enjoy are Tegan and Sara (newer stuff is more like chvrches), Foals, MisterWives, Miike Snow, Børns... Lol I could go on because I'm totally into this genre right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/17/2016 at 8:32 PM, SevenofSeven said:

One of the few times I hit our little gym, I scared a dreadmill bunny by dropping a bar from knee height on a deadlift. Her look of absolute surprise was precious. ;)

On 6/17/2016 at 8:47 PM, Urgan said:

Aren't they all 'bout that heart rate, that heart rate anyway? You were doing her workout a solid.

Haha, yes, this is pretty much what I envision would happen ... plus the staff probably asking me to be quiet. I think I'll let the cardio queens deadlift in peace XD. Lift and let... not lift!

On 6/17/2016 at 11:09 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

A few similar artists that I enjoy are Tegan and Sara (newer stuff is more like chvrches), Foals, MisterWives, Miike Snow, Børns... Lol I could go on because I'm totally into this genre right now! emoji854.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooooh, I love MisterWives! They were another one of my spotify suggestions. I'll check out the others, too -- thanks!

------

Big accomplishment for today: accidentally stumbling into the training session of a local powerlifting group!

Today's plan was to join Gold's Gym and deadlift, but I really wanted to find a lifting gym. So this morning, I called up one last gym that's a little further away (15 min. vs. 5 min. drive) and asked what kind of free weights they had -- power racks? Deadlift platform? According to the employee, yes -- they have everything.

I go to the gym on a trial pass and the staff member shows me to the basement, where they have a powerlifting room. A proper powerlifting room with three power racks, a couple of benches, a deadlift platform, plates everywhere, and chalk everywhere. There's also a bunch of equipment that I've heard of but never used, like a deadlift loading jack, monolift, and lots of chains and bands hanging from hooks on the walls. Oh, and there's half a dozen powerlifters (including two women) training while heavy metal blasts in the background.

Turns out that most of the equipment is owned by the two oldest lifters (both Masters competitors) and they've gradually accumulated a group of fellow lifters that train together in the evenings and Sunday mid-day. And I'm welcome to join them. From what I could see, they train hard but have fun, support each other (everyone was cheering each other through the tough lifts), lift heavy (like 7 plate squats heavy), and have good form. They also compete -- mostly with IPA it sounds like (which I'm not familiar with).

I think I found my home for the next year :D. Even if I don't like training with them for some reason (e.g., feel pressured to change my programming in ways I don't want, start pushing myself too hard, etc.) I can always just train at different times, and the upstairs portion of the gym has more equipment (a couple of benches and a few squat racks). Best case scenario, though: I'll have a lifting community and will learn a lot from training with people more experienced than me.

Oh, and get this: the name of their powerlifting group includes the word "Warrior" :P.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Big accomplishment for today: accidentally stumbling into the training session of a local powerlifting group!

Today's plan was to join Gold's Gym and deadlift, but I really wanted to find a lifting gym. So this morning, I called up one last gym that's a little further away (15 min. vs. 5 min. drive) and asked what kind of free weights they had -- power racks? Deadlift platform? According to the employee, yes -- they have everything.

I go to the gym on a trial pass and the staff member shows me to the basement, where they have a powerlifting room. A proper powerlifting room with three power racks, a couple of benches, a deadlift platform, plates everywhere, and chalk everywhere. There's also a bunch of equipment that I've heard of but never used, like a deadlift loading jack, monolift, and lots of chains and bands hanging from hooks on the walls. Oh, and there's half a dozen powerlifters (including two women) training while heavy metal blasts in the background.

Turns out that most of the equipment is owned by the two oldest lifters (both Masters competitors) and they've gradually accumulated a group of fellow lifters that train together in the evenings and Sunday mid-day. And I'm welcome to join them. From what I could see, they train hard but have fun, support each other (everyone was cheering each other through the tough lifts), lift heavy (like 7 plate squats heavy), and have good form. They also compete -- mostly with IPA it sounds like (which I'm not familiar with).

I think I found my home for the next year :D. Even if I don't like training with them for some reason (e.g., feel pressured to change my programming in ways I don't want, start pushing myself too hard, etc.) I can always just train at different times, and the upstairs portion of the gym has more equipment (a couple of benches and a few squat racks). Best case scenario, though: I'll have a lifting community and will learn a lot from training with people more experienced than me.

Oh, and get this: the name of their powerlifting group includes the word "Warrior" :P.

How exciting!!! That is just amazingly awesome!!! Very serendipitous!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Alaysia said:

How exciting!!! That is just amazingly awesome!!! Very serendipitous!

2 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

EXACTLY THAT!!!

2 hours ago, Grymm said:

That sounds awesome!  

I know -- I asked and the universe delivered! I was getting so frustrated that all of the cool gyms were personal training/follow my program type set-ups only. Still processing that I actually found the powerlifters :P.

Next question: to deadlift or not to deadlift in the deadlift-only competition on July 23rd? :D

------------------

Saturday, 6/18 Recap:

• Daily plan: yep
  • Daily to-do:
    • Movement: morning walk; got my 10k steps
    • Adulting: done, including cooking all the chicken now that I have my instant pot again
    • Adventure: low key adventuring with the best friend at home
  • Screen curfew: followed
  • No brains: I am not yet a zombie

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

SOUNDS PERFECT! (Definitely deadlift - it sounds like you would enjoy it!)

13 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

To deadlift :D 

I know, whether or not to deadlift is a silly question, right?

The informal competition is $40 (all as a fundraiser) and is about 45 min. away. I don't have to be registered with any federation, and I'm guessing my belt would be fine too (it meets most federation's specifications, it just isn't one of the companies okayed by them), so it would be an easy, low-key way to get back to competing... esp. since it's just one lift. I have a little hesitation from two things: 1) while I'm starting to feel better I still have not great days, and I'm worried the competition might coincide with one of them... but off days are a danger for anyone, and 2) I'm sooooooo not in my weight class after this year. Not that that affects whether or not I can deadlift! Or really whether I should compete, since I'm not lifting to win in a certain weight class or break records.

• Like 2

Sunday, 6/19 Recap:

• Daily plan: yes
  • Daily to-do:
    • Movement: deadlifts + evening walk (>11k steps for the day)
    • Adulting: yep
    • Adventure: meeting new powerlifters + going for a long walk/short hike in a new place with my mom
  • Screen curfew: yep
  • No brains: it's a good thing I have this goal because I do have data and I'm starting to go stir crazy (yes, that only took a week)
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Alanna said:

The informal competition is $40 (all as a fundraiser) and is about 45 min. away. I don't have to be registered with any federation, and I'm guessing my belt would be fine too (it meets most federation's specifications, it just isn't one of the companies okayed by them), so it would be an easy, low-key way to get back to competing... esp. since it's just one lift. I have a little hesitation from two things: 1) while I'm starting to feel better I still have not great days, and I'm worried the competition might coincide with one of them... but off days are a danger for anyone, and 2) I'm sooooooo not in my weight class after this year. Not that that affects whether or not I can deadlift! Or really whether I should compete, since I'm not lifting to win in a certain weight class or break records.

I'm sure a lot of the warriors who compete have a much better perspective on it than I do. But here are my two cents (in a spoiler) because... deadlifts are great :D

Spoiler

As far as I understand it, it's an informal competition that you'll do so that you get back to it and to have some fun in the process. This means that you don't have to worry about a weight class or about a bad day (btw I'm under the impression that many elite athletes who have to travel to different countries/continents to compete would tell you that they competed on an off day). You only have to go there and enjoy it. ;) Then you can start looking at formal competitions as well and decide on which weight class you'd rather be. This one would be a no-pressure one, you can get to meet even more lifters in your area, and you have about one month to prepare if you decide on it soon. :) 

• Like 4

On 6/19/2016 at 3:16 PM, Alanna said:

Haha, yes, this is pretty much what I envision would happen ... plus the staff probably asking me to be quiet. I think I'll let the cardio queens deadlift in peace XD. Lift and let... not lift!

Ooooh, I love MisterWives! They were another one of my spotify suggestions. I'll check out the others, too -- thanks!

------

Sounds like you found the best gym to be at.

20 hours ago, Alanna said:

If it is unsanctioned you should just do it! Just for funsies. Don't worry about showing up at your best, just show up and have fun, meet other lifters in the area, etc.

• Like 2

Do you want to do the competition? If you do, then do it and allow yourself to enjoy the experience without a performance goal other than to just show up! After a long hiatus, that is challenge enough IMHO. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2016 at 3:48 PM, AugustaAdaByron said:

I'm sure a lot of the warriors who compete have a much better perspective on it than I do. But here are my two cents (in a spoiler) because... deadlifts are great :D

Hide contents

As far as I understand it, it's an informal competition that you'll do so that you get back to it and to have some fun in the process. This means that you don't have to worry about a weight class or about a bad day (btw I'm under the impression that many elite athletes who have to travel to different countries/continents to compete would tell you that they competed on an off day). You only have to go there and enjoy it. ;) Then you can start looking at formal competitions as well and decide on which weight class you'd rather be. This one would be a no-pressure one, you can get to meet even more lifters in your area, and you have about one month to prepare if you decide on it soon. :) 

Competitive lifter or not, you give solid advice :).

On 6/21/2016 at 11:57 AM, miss_marissa said:

If it is unsanctioned you should just do it! Just for funsies. Don't worry about showing up at your best, just show up and have fun, meet other lifters in the area, etc.

On 6/21/2016 at 0:34 PM, Urgan said:

Do you want to do the competition? If you do, then do it and allow yourself to enjoy the experience without a performance goal other than to just show up! After a long hiatus, that is challenge enough IMHO. 

Thanks for weighing in everyone. So the past few days I've been trying to answer that simple question :P. I definitely do want to compete, but I'm not sure if I want to quite yet -- esp. since I'm still feeling run down. And my entire right arm has been rather angry at me (much needed massage tomorrow!). I think I might rather focus on R&R, hiking, and whatnot this next month... though learning how to NOT care whether I'm at my best would probably be a good challenge for the future.

Goals have been on point, though I was a bit late (8 min.) getting off the computer last night because I wanted to see the last 84 kg Junior woman's opening deadlift @ 200 kg (!) during the World Classic Powerlifting Championships.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Thanks for weighing in everyone. So the past few days I've been trying to answer that simple question :P. I definitely do want to compete, but I'm not sure if I want to quite yet -- esp. since I'm still feeling run down. And my entire right arm has been rather angry at me (much needed massage tomorrow!). I think I might rather focus on R&R, hiking, and whatnot this next month... though learning how to NOT care whether I'm at my best would probably be a good challenge for the future.

I couldn't advise someone to do a thing that only serves to be for fun if it's only going to give them some kind of hearburn or concerns about whether they can show up and do their best (not necessarily BE the best) safely. That's like, the opposite of fun, lol. It's a month away, I guess that's not enough time to decide whether you get to feeling more up for showing up?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I couldn't advise someone to do a thing that only serves to be for fun if it's only going to give them some kind of hearburn or concerns about whether they can show up and do their best (not necessarily BE the best) safely. That's like, the opposite of fun, lol. It's a month away, I guess that's not enough time to decide whether you get to feeling more up for showing up?

I have about another week -- the organizer said she needed a few weeks notice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alanna said:

I have about another week -- the organizer said she needed a few weeks notice.

So maybe give yourself a few days to make a final call and if you still feel the same, then it's the right call for sure. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Urgan said:

So maybe give yourself a few days to make a final call and if you still feel the same, then it's the right call for sure. 

Yeah, and I'll see how much the massage therapist winces at the state of my right forearm/bicep/tricep/deltoid/lats/rhomboid :P.

• Like 4

Back on the subject of magnesium... I had to stop taking my supplements for a couple days for some tests, and noticed that middle-of-the-night insomnia was surprisingly not an issue (surprisingly because it's usually worsened if I don't take certain supplements). So, I decided to slowly add back my supplements to see if one of them was precipitating the sleeplessness.

Data:

All the supplements: insomnia

All the supplements + extra of one to help with blood sugar balance: no insomnia

No supplements: no insomnia

Just iron + magnesium: insomnia

Just iron: no insomnia

New hypothesis: my magnesium supplement is the culprit for the 3 am insomnia episodes (probably triggered by hypoglycemia) that I experience when I'm eating at a deficit.

Which is a bit strange, because magnesium is supposed to balance blood sugar levels and help you sleep (and it does help me get to sleep). I've found no indication that insomnia is a side effect... just one other very confused person with a similar reaction.

If I'm right, this might explain why my body completely flipped out when I tried cutting last summer...

Yeah, bodies are weird.

• Like 1

My understanding is that calcium and magnesium are needed to balance one another out for optimum muscle function. Your dedicated mag supplement must be throwing you out of balance, perhaps not with calcium but another vitamin? Surely it must be the extra one for blood sugar that is not in enough quantity to match the mag until you take the supplement?? A place to start researching, anyhow. My two cents.

• Like 1