The Legend of Michi: Summer Sojourn

Oh man when I encounter people that act the way you said your parent(s) are acting about LGBT people it just makes me want to go full on Pride mode ultra lesbian with a willing female and just reaaaaally rub it in their face.

Like rainbow accessories, be super affectionate and just be over the top super duper nice as hell to them but be painfully stereotypically gay at them.

I do the same thing to customers at work if they're talking down to me or my co-workers. Be ultra friendly and so cheerful you want to back away from me slowly. Best part is that they can't get me in shit for it. If they complain to head office what are they gonna be able to say? "Leigh was being far too friendly and helpful. She was so damned good at her job it made me angry" Head office will just roll their eyes and laugh.

On a less ranty note: high five in sticking to your plans ans being close to the next goal! o/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leigh said:

Oh man when I encounter people that act the way you said your parent(s) are acting about LGBT people it just makes me want to go full on Pride mode ultra lesbian with a willing female and just reaaaaally rub it in their face.

Like rainbow accessories, be super affectionate and just be over the top super duper nice as hell to them but be painfully stereotypically gay at them.

I do the same thing to customers at work if they're talking down to me or my co-workers. Be ultra friendly and so cheerful you want to back away from me slowly. Best part is that they can't get me in shit for it. If they complain to head office what are they gonna be able to say? "Leigh was being far too friendly and helpful. She was so damned good at her job it made me angry" Head office will just roll their eyes and laugh.

On a less ranty note: high five in sticking to your plans ans being close to the next goal! o/

I am jealous of this super power that you behold. I hope to obtain this power with no problem.

• Like 2

On a Retreat until June 17, 2024... Look forward to seeing you on the other side!

Yet another reason Leigh is so awesome.  :)

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

LOLOLOLOLOL!!   best reaction ever!

You're awesome! <3

• Like 1

Challenges:

(PS - that's usually how I feel when I find out a woman is into other women. Cause I am horrible at guessing! :P)

(PPS - no seriously, a female guildie has been flirting with me increasingly for weeks, and I had to straight out ask because I was convinced she was just being nice :P )

• Like 2

Challenges:

Aww, thanks. :)

• Like 1

Challenges:

I'm a bit late on this, but I wanted to say I think here is a great place to have a rant. It doesn't really matter if what you're posting is diet and exercise related or not; if something's bothering you and it's impacting your life in general then it's good to talk about it and get it out in the open.

• Like 2

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

Thanks, Jarric. :) NF feels like "safe space" to me, so I am glad I had somewhere to get the rant out.

Today is my monthly marsh hike at the state park, followed by lunch and the Warcraft movie!  Even though I'm Alliance I keep wanting to shout Lok'tar Ogar, cause Alliance doesn't get cool things in made up languages, LOL.

• Like 3

Challenges:

I had a great time hiking and seeing a movie with a fellow NF-er yesterday. :) She also convinced me my calories should be higher with all the activity I have at work, so I'm giving that a whirl and seeing how it affects my weight and how I feel and etc.

Not much else to report. Heading to the gym in a few minutes, then grocery shopping, then shower, then supper, then kiddo to bed, then video games. Just reading that list makes me tired, lol!

• Like 3

Challenges:

OK, so, a question hopefully some of you can help me with!

As mentioned in previous post, I increased my daily calories based on a conversation yesterday. But, my pedometer also syncs to mfp and gives me more calories for the day. And when I plug in my gym time it raises that day's calories.  So say my calories start at 1600 (with setting "active"), then my pedometer adds 350 for 12k steps at work, then I add 250 for a half hour on the treadmill.  Do I eat 1600, or do I eat 1600+350+250?   I am so confused about how to handle this. I don't want to overeat, or undereat.

Challenges:

I would say aim for 1600 but leave room for small snacks for when you might feel hungry. And maybe have 1850 (base calories + the smaller adjustment) and see how it goes for a week. The little extra shouldn't tip the scale in a bad way over a week and it gives you the time to see how your energy levels feel on the new totals :)

Also I find almonds make a really handy snack!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MichiruSedai said:

OK, so, a question hopefully some of you can help me with!

As mentioned in previous post, I increased my daily calories based on a conversation yesterday. But, my pedometer also syncs to mfp and gives me more calories for the day. And when I plug in my gym time it raises that day's calories.  So say my calories start at 1600 (with setting "active"), then my pedometer adds 350 for 12k steps at work, then I add 250 for a half hour on the treadmill.  Do I eat 1600, or do I eat 1600+350+250?   I am so confused about how to handle this. I don't want to overeat, or undereat.

There are a couple of ways you could do this. You could eat the 1600 and not allow the exercise calories but I would have thought you'd risk undereating with this depending on how long you exercise for. You could eat the baseline (1600) calories plus the 350 pedometer calories and forget about the treadmill calories or you can use a TDEE calculator (like IIFYM which if you use that it will tell you to eat low carb - ignore the macro split if you don't want to eat low carb and just look at total calories) and let it work out an average for you over the week with the amount of exercise you do.  If you choose to do this, just enter the overall calories as your daily goal but I would recommend unsyncing you pedometer from MFP and track all exercise with the correct minutes but change the 'calories burned' to 1. I find this adds some stability as you know how many calories you can eat every day and it takes out the guesswork. Just recalculate your TDEE every few weeks to reflect weight loss. 

But before you change anything, why do you want to make a change? If things are working well as they are and you're losing weight at a steady pace that isn't too fast (no more than 2 lbs a week if you have a lot to lose, 1 lbs or 1/2 lbs a week if you have less to lose) and there are no signs you're under-eating such as tiredness or hangriness, I would consider leaving things as they are. Do you feel like you're currently eating enough? Are you having any negative symptoms that may be from the nutrition side of things?

• Like 2

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

I'm a bit late with this, but I understand exactly how it hurts to have family reject a part of you. I was 11 when my mum told me that the only thing I could do to disappoint her, would be to bring home a girlfriend. Needless to say none of my family know that I'm Bi, even though all my friends do. It helps that I'm married to a guy, but I still have to grit my teeth every time sexuality comes up in conversation with my family. They will never know about the great girlfriends I've had in the past, or the fun me and my hubby have comparing girl crushes. It sucks that we live in a world where this kind of bigotry stroll exists...

On a more positive note, well done with your weight loss! I second the comments above about sticking with what works for you, as long as you're feeling good on it. I've recently started tracking macros to get my protein levels up, and have also increased my daily calorie target, as my activity levels are far higher than they used to be.

• Like 2

Check out my character here!

Previous challenges: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen,

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain.

short reply before work:  deftona, this came up because I've been eating at the high end of my calorie range before (1400+exercise) and sometimes still hungry.  So the suggestion was made that with how I active I am, my settings should be different and I should try eating more.  I'm giving it a try for a few weeks and I'll see how it affects my progress.  Honestly I don't know if I could eat 1600+300+200 in a day.  But 1600, easily, and the extra snack/mini-meal might keep me less ragey.

edited to add: I also posted this question in a MFP forum, and so far the biggest piece of advice is to set activity level at sedentary, and then add in the pedometer + other exercise.

• Like 2

Challenges:

2 hours ago, MichiruSedai said:

edited to add: I also posted this question in a MFP forum, and so far the biggest piece of advice is to set activity level at sedentary, and then add in the pedometer + other exercise.

I either do this and eat back all my exercise calories, or do the IIFYM TDEE method. I flit between the two fairly regularly just to see what impact it has. But I unsynced my fitbit because it always told me to eat too many calories back. I think MFP vastly overestimates calories burned so I would either set it to sedentary and eat back all my exercise calories, or set it to active and eat back none of them. When it brings over my pedometer calories it always tells me to eat far too much for some reason.

But if you're finding you're still hungry, do consider adding a couple of hundred calories onto your goal and just play it by ear depending on how you feel and what effect it has on your weight loss.

22 hours ago, Leigh said:

I would say aim for 1600 but leave room for small snacks for when you might feel hungry. And maybe have 1850 (base calories + the smaller adjustment) and see how it goes for a week. The little extra shouldn't tip the scale in a bad way over a week and it gives you the time to see how your energy levels feel on the new totals :)

Also I find almonds make a really handy snack!

Almonds are yummy!  I also like cashews and peanuts.  And raisins. And ALL THE THINGS. well, not really, but some day it seems like it...

15 hours ago, deftona said:

you can use a TDEE calculator (like IIFYM which if you use that it will tell you to eat low carb - ignore the macro split if you don't want to eat low carb and just look at total calories) and let it work out an average for you over the week with the amount of exercise you do.  If you choose to do this, just enter the overall calories as your daily goal but I would recommend unsyncing you pedometer from MFP and track all exercise with the correct minutes but change the 'calories burned' to 1. I find this adds some stability as you know how many calories you can eat every day and it takes out the guesswork. Just recalculate your TDEE every few weeks to reflect weight loss. 

I know I partially responded to this earlier, but tagging again to say I don't understand that TDEE BMR stuff much at all.  My BMR is what I burn by just existing, right?  So my TDEE is what I'd want to eat just to exist?  On the link you shared I put sedentary and no exercise.   It says BMR 1674, TDEE 1925.

12 hours ago, LadyWitch said:

I'm a bit late with this, but I understand exactly how it hurts to have family reject a part of you. I was 11 when my mum told me that the only thing I could do to disappoint her, would be to bring home a girlfriend. Needless to say none of my family know that I'm Bi, even though all my friends do. It helps that I'm married to a guy, but I still have to grit my teeth every time sexuality comes up in conversation with my family. They will never know about the great girlfriends I've had in the past, or the fun me and my hubby have comparing girl crushes. It sucks that we live in a world where this kind of bigotry stroll exists...

On a more positive note, well done with your weight loss! I second the comments above about sticking with what works for you, as long as you're feeling good on it. I've recently started tracking macros to get my protein levels up, and have also increased my daily calorie target, as my activity levels are far higher than they used to be.

Thanks for the solidarity, LadyWitch, though I am so sorry you have had to go through this too.  *big hugs*

8 hours ago, deftona said:

I either do this and eat back all my exercise calories, or do the IIFYM TDEE method. I flit between the two fairly regularly just to see what impact it has. But I unsynced my fitbit because it always told me to eat too many calories back. I think MFP vastly overestimates calories burned so I would either set it to sedentary and eat back all my exercise calories, or set it to active and eat back none of them. When it brings over my pedometer calories it always tells me to eat far too much for some reason.

But if you're finding you're still hungry, do consider adding a couple of hundred calories onto your goal and just play it by ear depending on how you feel and what effect it has on your weight loss.

So, I derped around with mfp a little today. I set it to sedentary which defaults my calories to 1200 (as opposed to lightly active: 1410, or active: 1680).  I left it synced to my pedometer which has earned me an extra almost 400 calories cause I was BUSY today.  I think this way makes more sense than setting it to active and then adding in more activity.  I'll try it this way for a week or so and see if my weight loss stops or anything.  If I notice I'm still hungry, I'll eat above the range as long as it's not garbage food.

• Like 3

Challenges:

4 minutes ago, MichiruSedai said:

I know I partially responded to this earlier, but tagging again to say I don't understand that TDEE BMR stuff much at all.  My BMR is what I burn by just existing, right?  So my TDEE is what I'd want to eat just to exist?  On the link you shared I put sedentary and no exercise.   It says BMR 1674, TDEE 1925.

Your BMR is the your basal metabolic rate - that is how many calories you burn when your body is just existing - the basic energy needs your body has to keep itself alive. So breathing, digestion, your heart beating. All that stuff. If you were to lay in bed all day and not move, this is how many calories you would burn. But you don't do that (since you have a job and other human activities to do!) so your TDEE is you total daily energy expenditure which will include moving around, being at work, walking to you car, climbing stairs and the other things you do. If you set it to say you did no exercise, this would be how many calories you should eat to maintain your current weight. But you do exercise so I would consider re-running the calculations with your total weekly workout times (divided by how many days you workout because this is how that calculator works) which will give you a more accurate TDEE. Then, to lose around 1 lb of weight a week, you minus 500 calories off your daily TDEE. To lose 2 lbs, you should minus 1,000 calories off this (these numbers aren't perfect but they're in and around the right region). But this should do the calculation for you and tell you how many calories to eat for different levels of cut. I think they use the terms 'aggressive' and 'reckless' for whatever reason, but this is just a way to say 'lose 0.5 lbs a week/ lose 1 lb a week' etc. It's probably not a good idea to set it to reckless though, I guess it's called that for a reason!

• Like 3

Also, I wouldn't set it as sedentary unless you think you actually are. Since you seem to be quite active at work I would suggest maybe going up to 'moderately active' and seeing how many calories it recommends when you put in how much exercise you do too. 

• Like 1

Ahh, thank you for explaining!

If I go into the linked website and set "active" and add in my two weekly workouts, it gives me BMR 1674 and TDEE 2303.   It's telling me "reckless" is 1727 calories. But that seems way too high to me to eat every day. O_o

So far for today I'm at MFP "sedendary" 1200 + pedometer 364 - ate 1545 = 19 left. I'll try not to spend it all in once place LOL.

Challenges:

6 hours ago, MichiruSedai said:

Ahh, thank you for explaining!

If I go into the linked website and set "active" and add in my two weekly workouts, it gives me BMR 1674 and TDEE 2303.   It's telling me "reckless" is 1727 calories. But that seems way too high to me to eat every day. O_o

So far for today I'm at MFP "sedendary" 1200 + pedometer 364 - ate 1545 = 19 left. I'll try not to spend it all in once place LOL.

How many calories were you eating before when you were finding you were still a little hungry?

between 1300-1500 most days.

Challenges:

18 minutes ago, MichiruSedai said:

between 1300-1500 most days.

1600 sounds like a good place to start then to see how you feel on it and raise or lower a little from there depending on your results. It's hard to find your sweet spot and the irritating thing is this changes anyway with weight loss...! 

• Like 1

Right?  I eat too little, the loss stalls. I eat too much, the loss stalls.  Trial and error, and then more, and then more!

Today is going well. I've been eating well and I got in a solid hour at the gym.  Here's how I'm looking today:

mfp base 1200 + 692 of exercise (including pedometer) - 1650 food = 242 remaining!

• Like 1

Challenges: