• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

spezzy doesn't have a theme

Recommended Posts

You guys should try living in country South Australia. the nearest place that has meets is a 4 hour drive from me, and they hold precisely 3 per year there. Oh, and I've only found 2 federations that operate in South Australia at all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

For those not from around here:

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/texas-is-how-big/

 

 

14 hours ago, wildross said:

Outer belt to outer belt, DFW is 100 miles. Or about the same distance as Columbus, OH to either Indiana or Pennsylvania.

You can fit the state of Ohio between Dallas and the Louisiana border.

The piney woods of East Texas are larger than New England

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

 

7 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

Paris to London isn't very far... 

 

Don't get me wrong, I get how big Texas is, but that particular example doesn't actually make it sound as big as it is. 

 

Dallas to Houston is a 3 - 3.5 hour drive, so actually not far at all. One thing that I've noticed after moving here is that due to the size of other states, people just assume everything is close - so they'll call me and say they are going to be in El Paso so lets hang out and I have to explain to them that that's the equivalent of them calling me when I lived in Massachusetts and saying they were going to be in Virginia. People here just assume same state = close.

 

I like this example: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/how-big-is-texas-compared-to-other-land-masses/

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

You guys should try living in country South Australia. the nearest place that has meets is a 4 hour drive from me, and they hold precisely 3 per year there. Oh, and I've only found 2 federations that operate in South Australia at all...

 

I don't think less federations is a bad thing necessarily. Here it gets confusing with so many and each have their own rules, set of records, etc. You end up with random people being "world record holders" because it's a federation that's only been around for a week and will be gone in a month. 

 

I'd rather not have to travel 4 hours for a meet though :) I'm lucky that there are a bunch held about an hour and 15 minutes south of here.

 

I wish there were more held up in Mass near where my mom lives, I'd love to compete and then combine either my taper week or rest with vacation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until this year, Powerlifting Australia actually only held 2 events in South Australia, so I should be happy about the extra one. But the east coast, where most of the meets are held, is more like 14-18 hours drive from me. Which means if I ever make nationals, I'll probably be logging some flight time.

 

But I get the multiple federations thing being frustrating. But with so few PA meets, I was just hoping for more going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Dallas to Houston is a 3 - 3.5 hour drive, so actually not far at all. One thing that I've noticed after moving here is that due to the size of other states, people just assume everything is close - so they'll call me and say they are going to be in El Paso so lets hang out and I have to explain to them that that's the equivalent of them calling me when I lived in Massachusetts and saying they were going to be in Virginia. People here just assume same state = close.

 

I like this example: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/how-big-is-texas-compared-to-other-land-masses/

 

The funny thing is that I'd always assume that people would fly from state to state (barring small, neighbouring states) as generally I fly around Europe rather than driving! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

 

 

That does sound kinda fun! 

 

It should be top 6 lifters of each gender based on Wilks... but there are other factors. Lots of politics! If I'm not selected it's not the end of the world, mostly want to go for a piss-up with the Welsh girls! ;) 

 

I'm not competing again before selection but not sure there'll be that many who are who aren't already ahead of me.

 

 

Fingers crossed you'll get it :D I wish we had more meets like that here. It's newer to have anything other than nationals have selection criteria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, spezzy said:

 

I don't think less federations is a bad thing necessarily. Here it gets confusing with so many and each have their own rules, set of records, etc. You end up with random people being "world record holders" because it's a federation that's only been around for a week and will be gone in a month. 

 

SO MUCH THIS!

 

I find myself wanting to scream when someone brags about being a "World Record Holder" in a federation with very low standards because no one else competed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

Until this year, Powerlifting Australia actually only held 2 events in South Australia, so I should be happy about the extra one. But the east coast, where most of the meets are held, is more like 14-18 hours drive from me. Which means if I ever make nationals, I'll probably be logging some flight time.

 

But I get the multiple federations thing being frustrating. But with so few PA meets, I was just hoping for more going on.

 

I can totally see that! Maybe you could get the community together to even run a mock meet, just for experience? 

 

I had to fly to Nationals last year because it would have been a 30 hour drive. I found out quickly that traveling that far to meets was not my favorite thing in the world :) Granted, we also flew into DC, then drove 5 hours to the meet, so that probably wasn't the best idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spezzy said:

 

Fingers crossed you'll get it :D I wish we had more meets like that here. It's newer to have anything other than nationals have selection criteria.

 

It's really good fun! Only 48 lifters in total and the standards are pretty high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

 

The funny thing is that I'd always assume that people would fly from state to state (barring small, neighbouring states) as generally I fly around Europe rather than driving! 

 

Yeah, it's about an hour and 15 minute flight to Dallas or Houston from me, but when you factor in price of the flight, parking, getting through security, and not having a car after you get there (public transportation isn't the best around here) it just makes it easier and less time consuming to drive the 3-4 hours. There are a ton of meets in the Atlanta area and that's a 3 hour flight, but still, just a quick math check would make the cost to compete almost $700 if you're just doing a flight, hotel for 2 days, and an entry fee. Local meets FTW. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm struggling with the 30 hour part. Darwin is a 29 hour drive from me, and Cairns is a 32 hour drive from me, and they are literally the furthest places in Australia from where I live.

1 minute ago, spezzy said:

 

Yeah, it's about an hour and 15 minute flight to Dallas or Houston from me, but when you factor in price of the flight, parking, getting through security, and not having a car after you get there (public transportation isn't the best around here) it just makes it easier and less time consuming to drive the 3-4 hours. There are a ton of meets in the Atlanta area and that's a 3 hour flight, but still, just a quick math check would make the cost to compete almost $700 if you're just doing a flight, hotel for 2 days, and an entry fee. Local meets FTW. 

Yeah, definitely agree on the travel stuff here. Even a "local" meet for me is 4 hours drive there, at least 1 night in a hotel, entry fees, all my food while I'm there, and a 4 hour drive home. All of a sudden I'm afraid of committing to a comp I was thinking about later this year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

 

SO MUCH THIS!

 

I find myself wanting to scream when someone brags about being a "World Record Holder" in a federation with very low standards because no one else competed. 

 

AND never will be competing in it again.

 

I see the point in goals and taking a record is a really good goal, but not if you have to find a federation with no records to take it. That's why I like USPA (not to mention I like the new drug tested division a lot) - because it's been around a while and the records are just as hard to beat as USAPL. 

 

I almost competed when I lived in Indiana because there was a local federation that did biceps curls instead of squats, and no other women had competed so I could have easily taken the WORLD RECORD BICEPS CURL and I still kind of regret not taking that opportunity because come on. ;) 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spezzy said:

 

Yeah, it's about an hour and 15 minute flight to Dallas or Houston from me, but when you factor in price of the flight, parking, getting through security, and not having a car after you get there (public transportation isn't the best around here) it just makes it easier and less time consuming to drive the 3-4 hours. There are a ton of meets in the Atlanta area and that's a 3 hour flight, but still, just a quick math check would make the cost to compete almost $700 if you're just doing a flight, hotel for 2 days, and an entry fee. Local meets FTW. 

 

I think domestic flights are a lot cheaper here. You're looking at £60 Edinburgh to London return if you are organised and actually about the same to Berlin, Paris, Rome or Amsterdam.

 

Sucks how expensive it winds up being! Scottish meets are never more than a couple of hours' drive away. British can be 11 hours drive but we usually make a bit of a holiday of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spezzy said:

 

AND never will be competing in it again.

 

I see the point in goals and taking a record is a really good goal, but not if you have to find a federation with no records to take it. That's why I like USPA (not to mention I like the new drug tested division a lot) - because it's been around a while and the records are just as hard to beat as USAPL. 

 

I almost competed when I lived in Indiana because there was a local federation that did biceps curls instead of squats, and no other women had competed so I could have easily taken the WORLD RECORD BICEPS CURL and I still kind of regret not taking that opportunity because come on. ;) 

 

But but but... Don't you want to be the World Brocep Curl Record Holder??? ;)

 

Seriously, though, even in some of the longer-standing federations the standards are crazy low, particularly for women. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpecialSundae said:

 

I think domestic flights are a lot cheaper here. You're looking at £60 Edinburgh to London return if you are organised and actually about the same to Berlin, Paris, Rome or Amsterdam.

 

Sucks how expensive it winds up being! Scottish meets are never more than a couple of hours' drive away. British can be 11 hours drive but we usually make a bit of a holiday of it. 

 

Yeah, round trip from Austin to Atlanta is about $350 - and hotels in atlanta are $100-150 a night. Makes the cost not worth it.

 

We're making a vacation out of Boss of Bosses - that's up in Northern California so we'll fly in, Ben will compete and then we'll hang out in California for a week, which makes it make much more sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spezzy said:

 

Yeah, round trip from Austin to Atlanta is about $350 - and hotels in atlanta are $100-150 a night. Makes the cost not worth it.

 

We're making a vacation out of Boss of Bosses - that's up in Northern California so we'll fly in, Ben will compete and then we'll hang out in California for a week, which makes it make much more sense. 

 

That's crazy! 

 

California sounds like fun, though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

 

But but but... Don't you want to be the World Brocep Curl Record Holder??? ;)

 

Seriously, though, even in some of the longer-standing federations the standards are crazy low, particularly for women. 

 

how cool would that be to have a real certificate saying that you are a world record holder in the curl? I could hang it on my fridge! ;)

 

And yeah, they are. though I don't know about there but over here the population of women lifters is growing at an exponential rate. it's amazing. so hopefully that will change soon!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Different random discussion:

 

Is it better to compete and WIN a meet, or is it better to compete and get a higher overall ranking in your weight class?

 

Like, say if you went up a weight class you'd be more likely to place 1st in a specific meet, but your overall ranking within the federation (and across all federations) would be better if you placed 2nd and competed in the lower weight class?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, spezzy said:

 

how cool would that be to have a real certificate saying that you are a world record holder in the curl? I could hang it on my fridge! ;)

 

And yeah, they are. though I don't know about there but over here the population of women lifters is growing at an exponential rate. it's amazing. so hopefully that will change soon!

 

 

 

Yeah, lifting overall has grown massively but Scotland has gone from 9 female lifters in 2013 to at least 65 this year. 

 

5 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Different random discussion:

 

Is it better to compete and WIN a meet, or is it better to compete and get a higher overall ranking in your weight class?

 

Like, say if you went up a weight class you'd be more likely to place 1st in a specific meet, but your overall ranking within the federation (and across all federations) would be better if you placed 2nd and competed in the lower weight class?

 

I'd say it's more important to be improving within your own records but otherwise it depends on your goals. If you're going to be more competitive in a weight class, then that's probably the best one to be in, but that only really becomes important when you're vying for top spot/national records and/or a spot on an international team.

 

I don't really get people cutting weight hard to come fifth in a local meet and performing far worse than if they'd stuck at their natural weight. 

 

I went up a weight class last year just to avoid having to compete against Tankweazel directly and managed to come first in that weight class and have a better ranking nationally at the same time. I wouldn't be competitive in that class in the longer-term, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually seriously considering this arguement at the moment. I have an idea of where I want to end up bodyweight wise, but the two weight classes around that are both super competitive not just here in Australia, but around the world (74 and 83kg weight classes for men). Some of the records for the 93kg weight class by comparison are actually lower than the 83kg weight class. But I'm not sure I'd be happy with my body at that weight, so, yeah, I'm interested to see what people have to say.

 

And SS, I can perfectly understand not wanting to directly compete against someone of Tankweazel's calibre.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Juni0r83 said:

I'm actually seriously considering this arguement at the moment. I have an idea of where I want to end up bodyweight wise, but the two weight classes around that are both super competitive not just here in Australia, but around the world (74 and 83kg weight classes for men). Some of the records for the 93kg weight class by comparison are actually lower than the 83kg weight class. But I'm not sure I'd be happy with my body at that weight, so, yeah, I'm interested to see what people have to say.

 

And SS, I can perfectly understand not wanting to directly compete against someone of Tankweazel's calibre.

There is no way on this earth that you should be 74kg or 83kg. Those classes are generally for guys shorter than me! How tall are you again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

 

Yeah, lifting overall has grown massively but Scotland has gone from 9 female lifters in 2013 to at least 65 this year. 

 

 

I'd say it's more important to be improving within your own records but otherwise it depends on your goals. If you're going to be more competitive in a weight class, then that's probably the best one to be in, but that only really becomes important when you're vying for top spot/national records and/or a spot on an international team.

 

I don't really get people cutting weight hard to come fifth in a local meet and performing far worse than if they'd stuck at their natural weight. 

 

I went up a weight class last year just to avoid having to compete against Tankweazel directly and managed to come first in that weight class and have a better ranking nationally at the same time. I wouldn't be competitive in that class in the longer-term, though. 

 

Basing everything off of PL Watch - because:

1) With USPA all I'd have to do to qualify for worlds is to compete and hit my normal numbers

2) If you go to 'lifter rankings' on the uspa site it takes you to PL watch. soooo :)

 

IPF I don't have a chance at an international team regardless of which weight class I pick, unless a few specific women stop competing. Soooo :)

 

If I competed in 148, I'd have a chance at top 10, 165 I'd have a chance at top 15 (if all data in there is current right now). So it seems like that's the only big difference. I'm at a weight where I could compete in either easily (and could compete in 165 at 149 for wilks if I wanted). 

 

There just happens to be another woman here competing at 148 who is one of the top lifters in the country (she benched 250 at her last meet IIRC).

 

Longer term I know I need to be a 72/75kg lifter. I'm too tall to be a 63, and in a year or two I think 67.5 will be difficult to get to.

 

(I wouldn't want to compete against tankweazel either :) )

 

4 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

I'm actually seriously considering this arguement at the moment. I have an idea of where I want to end up bodyweight wise, but the two weight classes around that are both super competitive not just here in Australia, but around the world (74 and 83kg weight classes for men). Some of the records for the 93kg weight class by comparison are actually lower than the 83kg weight class. But I'm not sure I'd be happy with my body at that weight, so, yeah, I'm interested to see what people have to say.

 

And SS, I can perfectly understand not wanting to directly compete against someone of Tankweazel's calibre.

 

8 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

There is no way on this earth that you should be 74kg or 83kg. Those classes are generally for guys shorter than me! How tall are you again?

 

How tall are you? (Both of you!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spezzy said:

 

 

Basing everything off of PL Watch - because:

1) With USPA all I'd have to do to qualify for worlds is to compete and hit my normal numbers

2) If you go to 'lifter rankings' on the uspa site it takes you to PL watch. soooo :)

 

IPF I don't have a chance at an international team regardless of which weight class I pick, unless a few specific women stop competing. Soooo :)

 

If I competed in 148, I'd have a chance at top 10, 165 I'd have a chance at top 15 (if all data in there is current right now). So it seems like that's the only big difference. I'm at a weight where I could compete in either easily (and could compete in 165 at 149 for wilks if I wanted). 

 

There just happens to be another woman here competing at 148 who is one of the top lifters in the country (she benched 250 at her last meet IIRC).

 

Longer term I know I need to be a 72/75kg lifter. I'm too tall to be a 63, and in a year or two I think 67.5 will be difficult to get to.

 

(I wouldn't want to compete against tankweazel either :) )

 

How tall are you? (Both of you!)

 

IPF, I think my chances at GB team are diminishing as standards rocket (although I'm not sure my coach agrees), but I'm still good for Commonwealths at the moment in the 63s and I might make GB Masters in a few years, though.

 

I think we're the same height, 166cm/5'5.5", but I'm not carrying enough muscle mass at the moment to go up to 72s. Until I'm lean enough for it to be worthwhile, I won't be moving up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

 

IPF, I think my chances at GB team are diminishing as standards rocket (although I'm not sure my coach agrees), but I'm still good for Commonwealths at the moment in the 63s and I might make GB Masters in a few years, though.

 

I think we're the same height, 166cm/5'5.5", but I'm not carrying enough muscle mass at the moment to go up to 72s. Until I'm lean enough for it to be worthwhile, I won't be moving up.

 

ha, yup. same height. I got a DEXA done last year and they told me to get down to the 63's and maintain muscle mass (without water cutting) I'd have to get to 12% bodyfat.

 

Aaaaand that's when I decided to throw that idea right out the window. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now