• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ArgSki77

ArgSki77 Uses Kryptonite For Good

Week 2 Day 4 Weigh In:

Its once again the continuation of the 309's. Weighed in this morning at 309.5lbs. No improvement but at least staying the same. Now for speculation: I am curious if this is just an adjustment to my new schedule, reduction in workout times, poor tracking, or something else. If anything I would think that a combination of bad tracking and less workout calories burned could be the contributing factor. But also it could just be a timing during the day thing...Im up at 530 now and working late so it changes everything. Dinner much closer to bed and weigh in earlier in the day. Who knows...just need to see where it goes. If things dont change then there are options. I have time during non-lifting days to get a quick walk/ruck/run in but you know...

53622602.jpg

Good note though, I dropped another loop on my belt. While I may not be losing I may be toning a bit which would be good. I have been upping the weights so its possible. Wish I had taken other measurements when I started. Guess I should start now.

Also, bagel Thursday was a success this week. Didn't get dragged off to a meeting or something else that is treated like an end all be all task which really isn't that important. Got to sit at my desk for 10 minutes and enjoy a good blueberry bagel with no one bugging me. Deadlifts tonight, hoping to break through my couple week stall and hit that 15 on the AMAP. So close to the 405lb single which I would like to try and pull in the next week or two as a test. Ill have to see how the sets tonight go.

Week 2 Day 4 Gym and Food:

The gods of free bagel Thursday were shining down their carby glory on the gym last night. All my lifts were feeling great through my 90% scheduled lift at 365lbs. So like I said I was thinking about, I wanted to try the 405lbs 4 plate lift I've had my eye set on. Went up without a problem this time!!! See woot below for video.

Even after the 405lb single I had enough in the tank to complete a new rep max for the AMAP at 285lbs which was 15. After that though, tired out fast. Skipped over the 350 set of rack pulls and just did some battle rope :30|:30 tabata sets and hanging knee raises. Went home and stretched out doing ROMWOD although I didnt do the warrior routine as I didnt have 45 min to spare.

Food was meh but like I said not a big deal since major lifting. Went out for Mexican lunch with work friends and made good choices with fajitas. But no matter how good a choice I make its still not gonna be as healthy as my meal prep meals plus the restaurant gives delicious free chips and those are not the best choice. I just shifted meal prep lunch to my dinner again which was actually turned out to be a solid choice because I didn't really want to cook when I got home. Only thing that really threw it off was the fat content since lunch was greasy and no one got light cream cheese with breakfast so that was full fat type. Cal 2697 Carb 200 Fat 146 Protein 191

Week(end) 2 Update:

Successfully finished up the LUYL goal of moving to Boston this weekend. Spent all day Saturday emptying boxes and putting stuff away and then Sunday was spent cleaning and going out to buy all the stuff we forgot or didn't own.

Weight:

Weights fluctuated a bit over the course of the weekend. Bounced from 310.4 on Friday to 308.4 Saturday to 309.9 Sunday. All sorts of a mixed bag but it seems that Ive got the weekends figured out a bit better even with a few bad meals. No more 6-7 pound increases over the weekends.

Food: 

Went to a party for my friend/coach at the new gym on Friday night for his Mr World going away party which was an interesting location. Pressure was on as they asked people to bring food but obviously I didn't want to just roll up to a party at a gym with a big bucket of supermarket cookies. Kept it closer to the healthier side with pita chips and hummus.

Side note: its gonna take a little while to get used to being around the people at this gym. Lots of really strong people, all active Spartan Race or GoRuck or Strongman competitions. I was a bit intimidated talking with all of them being the only one who hadnt done any of those events(yet) but most everyone was nice and I settled in a pretty well. Also may have accidentally signed up for the GoRuck Light following the Powerlifting competition in August...we will if that actually happened

Saturday was a bad food day. Pizza for lunch since we were in the middle of unpacking and just ordered delivery. And then out to dinner to celebrate, which was fine foodwise but a pitcher of strawberry margaritas never helps the macro counts.

Sunday back on track. Had one of my meal prep turkey containers leftover so added an egg and called that breakfast, cooked up some mussels and leftover rice for lunch and had some haddock and cucumber salad for dinner. Only slip up was when we went to Wegmans, there is a Paul across the street and their pastry are delicious. Over all not the worst weekend I have had. Real challenge will be upcoming 4th of July four day weekend.

Workouts:

Moving is pretty much a workout in itself. So many boxes. Also heavy dressers and beds. So that was Saturday workout in essence. Sunday I got to workout at the new gym for the first time. It was awesome minus the time. My friend is a coach there so he has keys and goes in first thing in the AM for fasted cardio which was at 7am yesterday so he let me go in with him then to squeeze squat day in early. Not my favorite to get up at 630 on a weekend but it was a pretty good feeling to be sitting eating breakfast at 930 knowing I already got my whole workout in. Plus, I can do something else after work today like go for a ruck or run to start introducing some conditioning training for the possible Light.

Week 3 Day 1:

Weight:

Missed the morning update yesterday so I will cover everything. Weighed in at 308.7lbs which was a pound or so drop since Friday which was awesome. Was able to not completely over do it with the bad food temptations so mark that up as a win towards the goal.

Food:

Major meal prep on Sunday night which was 4 breakfasts and 4 lunches for myself and 4 lunches for my girlfriend so have the week all set up for success. Consequently, my food intake was awesome yesterday. Same old turkey breakfast and then pork chops, cauliflower and green beans for lunch. Dinner was big plate of turkey tacos which lasted little to no time on my plate.

Cal 2528 Carb 197 Fat 97 Protein 233

Workout:

Picture says it all...the dreaded cardio conditioning is back in the routine.

11093030_356981364502355_1325212887_n.jp

Doing some HIIT work on my non-lifing days to try and train a bit better for a GoRuck on the endurance side and aid in burning fat. Living near a college now with nice fields and facilities a 10ish min walk away so I went out and did some sprint intervals on the outdoor track coupled with ab work.

• Tabata cycle 1: :20sec sprint | :10sec walk 8reps followed by 1min rest
  • Tabata cycle 2: :20sec situps | :10sec rest 8reps followed by 1min rest
  • Tabata cycle 3: :20sec sprint | :10sec walk 8reps

Its only a 4 minutes per Tabata but those sprints were roughhh. Also, my coach wants me to do these before eating so that there is a bit of a fasted element and that is both good and bad. The bad is that I am tired with no food since lunch but its also good since I was already ready to throw up during that second sprint cycle and food would definitely not have helped that cause. We will see how progress forms with these once I start doing them regularly.

Also, forgot to say yesterday, I got back on the ROMWOD routine before bed again so all the mobility shall be had soon.

• Like 1

Week 3 Day 2 Weigh In:

Quick follow up to the longer recap from yesterday. Weighed in this morning at 308.1lbs. Seeing nice steady loss/maintainance now instead of crazy 10lb fluctuations like I was in the past.

• Like 1

Week 3 Day 2 Gym and Food:

Workout:

Bench press day was a success. Left work at a semi-normal time of 6pm which gave me a normal amount of time to workout and I got all my main sets and accessory done. Break through bench day...1RM was set at 255lbs as the last few weeks and the 230lb single has not been a problem. The issue has been with the AMAP at 180lbs. Finally hit the 15 rep mark which means I can bump the max up a bit next week.Glad to see some progress with that lift.

Accessory was solid. May have made a bit too large of a leap a few weeks back on incline press from 105 to 115. Im stuck in the high 30s(37-38) for reps over the three sets which is too low. Minimum is supposed to be in the 40s. Rows 4x10 at 115lb were fine and same with 4x10 overhead plate raise at 35lbs. Finished up with 350 method curls at 65lbs with rep count of 45.

Ended my night with some foam rolling as my legs were sore from the squats/running combination and the daily ROMWOD after that.

Food:

Meal prep helping keep me on track but I hit some points where I was unbearably hungry and added some food that brought me a bit up above goal. I was dragging a bit at lunch and had no carbs for a boost so I bought some baked sweet potato fries from the cafe at work. I also had cream and sugar in my coffee which is unusual but I really wasnt feeling a black coffee. But ratios looked ok, still a bit higher in fats. Finally getting proteins close to the 230g goal which has been a battle.

Cal 2424 Carbs 195g Fat 94g Protein 222g

Week 3 Day 4 Workout and Food

Workout:

Went for a nice mile and a half walk around the college campus near my new apartment with my 20lb ruck. Turns out its really just one big hill so that made for a bit more strenuous walk than I intended.

Later at night, I continued adventuring into new conditioning work...deck of death PT. Sounds about just as fun as the name suggests.

Deck of Death

20 min or full deck of cards(which ever comes first)

Flip a card and perform exercise # of times on card(J=11 Q=12 K=13) JKR= 1min rest

Spade - Push-up (Ace = 30 sec mountain climber)

Heart - Hip Raises (Ace = 30 sec bridge hold)

Club - Squats (Ace = 30 sec deep squat hold)

Diamond - Burpee Non-Push-up style (Ace = 30 sec plank hold)

Made it through just over half a deck in 20 min and then I proceeded to lay on the floor of my apartment for 20 more minutes. It was pretty rough. Did a very half-assed ROMWOD and went to bed after that.

Food:

Was holding strong with the meal prep but cravings at the store got the best of me. They had fresh baked PB brownies and I fell victim. But no regrets...they were delicious!

Also tried this chickpea pasta that we found at the store to make scampi for dinner. Its nutrition profile is interesting...25g protein from the beans and only 43g carbs instead of 13g protein and 71g carbs in the pasta I usually eat. I thought it was fine in a pasta dish but don't think I could eat it plain like I can with normal pasta. Good addition every once and a while. The protein boost is really what makes it and I killed it exceeding goal for the day. And now that I am looking at it, the ratios of macros is pretty solid so not that bad a day. Just a bit high calorie-wise.

Cal 2667 Carbs 198g Fat 98g Protein 262g

Side note: I'm a dumb dumb and completely forgot to weigh in this morning so no update on that.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2016 at 11:22 AM, ArgSki77 said:

Week 3 Day 4 Workout and Food

Workout:

Went for a nice mile and a half walk around the college campus near my new apartment with my 20lb ruck. Turns out its really just one big hill so that made for a bit more strenuous walk than I intended.

Later at night, I continued adventuring into new conditioning work...deck of death PT. Sounds about just as fun as the name suggests.

Deck of Death

20 min or full deck of cards(which ever comes first)

Flip a card and perform exercise # of times on card(J=11 Q=12 K=13) JKR= 1min rest

Spade - Push-up (Ace = 30 sec mountain climber)

Heart - Hip Raises (Ace = 30 sec bridge hold)

Club - Squats (Ace = 30 sec deep squat hold)

Diamond - Burpee Non-Push-up style (Ace = 30 sec plank hold)

Made it through just over half a deck in 20 min and then I proceeded to lay on the floor of my apartment for 20 more minutes. It was pretty rough. Did a very half-assed ROMWOD and went to bed after that.

Food:

Was holding strong with the meal prep but cravings at the store got the best of me. They had fresh baked PB brownies and I fell victim. But no regrets...they were delicious!

Also tried this chickpea pasta that we found at the store to make scampi for dinner. Its nutrition profile is interesting...25g protein from the beans and only 43g carbs instead of 13g protein and 71g carbs in the pasta I usually eat. I thought it was fine in a pasta dish but don't think I could eat it plain like I can with normal pasta. Good addition every once and a while. The protein boost is really what makes it and I killed it exceeding goal for the day. And now that I am looking at it, the ratios of macros is pretty solid so not that bad a day. Just a bit high calorie-wise.

Cal 2667 Carbs 198g Fat 98g Protein 262g

Side note: I'm a dumb dumb and completely forgot to weigh in this morning so no update on that.

That deck of cards workout does sound brutal! Like HIIT to the max. Do you think you'll keep that one in your rotation? 

I have seen black bean pasta before, but only at the bulk store (Costco), which I don't have a membership to anymore. I have never seen chickpea pasta, but that sounds like something I would enjoy. Ever since I moved I go to a small grocery store, but I might have to venture out to one of the larger ones sometime soon to give things like these a chance to end up in my cooking rotation. Yummy!

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

That deck of cards workout does sound brutal! Like HIIT to the max. Do you think you'll keep that one in your rotation? 

I have seen black bean pasta before, but only at the bulk store (Costco), which I don't have a membership to anymore. I have never seen chickpea pasta, but that sounds like something I would enjoy. Ever since I moved I go to a small grocery store, but I might have to venture out to one of the larger ones sometime soon to give things like these a chance to end up in my cooking rotation. Yummy!

Deck of cards was pretty rough. I dont think that I will keep that exact version in my rotation. Its a bit too strength focused even though its HIIT. The next day I did my standard OHP and shoulders were dying from all the push-ups during the deck workout. I think I may keep the same card flipping structure but swap in exercises more like jump rope, jumping jacks, or sprints to make it more cardio-centric to work on endurance rather than strength to minimize impact on lifting template.

Also, as a follow up to the chickpea pasta...it was good but my stomach was rough the next day. Stomach definitely knew that I ate a ton of beans rather than a ton of pasta. May have to rethink the use of that pasta. Don't think I can handle another morning like that at work.:topsy_turvy:

Weekend Update:

4 day holiday weekend for me so things got a little awry with challenge goals. I didnt really keep track of my food at all and we had two BBQs where food and alcohol got a bit out of control. That definitely caused some big weight gain when I stepped on the scale yesterday. In at 314.3lbs which was almost as high as my starting weight 3 weeks ago. Luckily it settled back down to a 311lbs reading this morning. That should balance closer to last week in the next few days to round out the challenge.

Working out was one highlight of the weekend where I kept on schedule.

Didnt have much time to workout Thursday after work so I swapped my OHP day to then instead of deadlifts since the OHP day takes far less time. No changes in weight from last week but I got another rep on the AMAP so progress is being made.

Friday I had off and knew if I didnt go to the gym early I would be lazy and not go. But I got to go to the new gym which was awesome even though it was at 7am. Nice new barbells and no one yelling about getting chalk everywhere or complaining about dropping weights. Deadlifts felt pretty strong even though I was lifting almost fasted, just had a quick tortilla with hummus before with my preworkout. Upped the weight to a 415lbs max since I hit the 405lbs last week which led the single heavy to be 375lbs and the AMAP to be 295lbs. Its crazy to think that 295lbs was my 1RM only like 8 months ago!  Friday day I repped it for 14 and then the 7 as the burner set.

Sunday I got up and went out to the fields near my house for some conditioning. Spent 15 minutes doing down and back sprints from one light post to another. I could have sworn the posts were getting farther apart as the sets went up. Carried my 20lb ruck on the 20min walk to the coffee shop and back after that as well.

Monday was 4th of July but got up early and went to the only two hour open gym block at new gym for squats because what is more American than heavy squats in my red white and blue shorts?! Squats weight went up from last week as well to 330lbs 1RM. Heavy single for the day is now at 300lbs! AMAP was 235lbs and I managed 13 reps which is solid for the first week at those weights.

• Like 1

Week 4 Day 2:

Food

I cant really decide whether yesterday was good or bad. On one hand, I ate super recklessly. Went out for Mexican with coworkers and went against my rule of planning/tracking what I am going to eat before I go. I ordered what I thought may be a decent meal for eating out but then I tracked it after and lunch totaled around 1000 calories with the chips and such. And then to top it off, there were only 3 of us in the office yesterday and our boss brought ice cream sandwiches of which I had 2 over the course of the afternoon. We are just gonna forget about that day. I did track everything but its ugly compared to goal. Calories 2777: Carb 321g Fat 105g Protein 189g

Gym

The daily positive(sort of) was bench press day. I had reached the max AMAP last week so I bumped up my 1RM to 260lbs. That put my heavy single set at 235lbs. I guess that this is a PR even though its supposed to be 90% of my total. I have never recently tried to max out my bench so every time I increase weights for a week my 90% is really my actual PR best. 235lbs went up pretty easy...little sticking point trying to lock it out but I got there. Also may have accidentally yelled at my spotter to back off because he leaned in to help at the sticking point and I wanted to power through it. Ooops! AMAP at 185lbs was hard and only managed 11 reps which isn't ideal but it was first week at those weights.

Accessory work is getting stronger now that I actually have time to do it. Did a 350method incline press at 115lbs and totaled 44reps which was much better than last week at 38reps. Then cranked out 4x10 barbell rows at 115lbs and 4x12 overhead plate raises with 35lb plate. Ended with a 3x10 of 60lbs ez-bar curls.

Did ROMWOD before bed to get some mobility work in.

Week 4 Day 3:

Gym

So I finally hit a terrible burnout yesterday at the gym. I worked late and was kinda tired going in. I was already kinda bothered that I had to move deadlifts up a day since my SO made dinner plans for today without asking me. I prefer to keep my social activities for the weekend and focus on myself during the week but its out of my control this week.

When I was unpacking my bag, I realized I lost my liquid chalk somewhere which increased my annoyance level. I figured I could manage without it and I was wrong. I had same weight(415lb 1RM) as last week and made it up to the 90% single at 375lb. I didn't have the grip at all and I felt super weak. As soon as I got to knees it started falling even with cross grip. I tried once more and failed at the same point. The fails also wiped me out. I tried to back off and do AMAP sets and only managed 7 reps when I got 14 last week.

Then I called it a day with the weights as I really wasn't feeling any motivation for accessory work. I just hid in the corner and did 15 min of HIIT on the spin bike since I felt guilty not doing my lifts.

Went home and did ROMWOD so that was a nice way to wind down after that gym day before bed.

Food/Weight

The whole food and weight correlation is confusing me. I guess it is just natural fluctuation but I came in today at 311.6lbs which is a 0.6lb increase since yesterday. The reason I am annoyed is that I ate well yesterday. The only treat that I allowed myself was a little 90 cal mini ice cream sandwich. All the other stuff was preplanned meal prep foods and I was under my calorie goal for the day. Could just be a lingering affect from bad weekend but its annoying. Cal 2173: Carb 182g Fat 81g Protein 207g

• Like 1

awesome job over the holiday weekend keeping up with the workouts. annnnnd going to the gym when you're already frustrated only to find more frustrating things (lost chalk), etc. you stuck through and did what you could without hurting yourself and then even did some more (hiit and romwod). gotta say, that sounds pretty BA for a crappy day.

i hear you on the annoying weight fluctuations. but weight *snicker* it out and continue with good food choices. it should come down :)

• Like 2

My coach told me in the past that weight training can increase weight temporarily since the tiny tears in muscles causes them to retain water more. I never believed it because in the past I always saw a drop after lifting. Also interesting, I have been tired recently after work and have been taking my old preworkout again on a semi regular basis for the caffeine boost. But that has creatine in it which causes the water retention phenomenon as well so I wonder if thats playing into the fluctuations.

Regardless, need to eat better towards goals. I've been bad recently throwing in snacks or not eating the meals that I prepped. I actually threw out two meals last week because I went out to lunch with people instead and they went bad. Its like throwing out my money and my macros! :dejection:

My weight is also higher the day after I lift and then lower the morning of the day I lift. (Typically lift every other day.) Even earlier this week my weight was lower and then I started working out again on Tuesday and this morning I am up a pound despite my face looking leaner than usual.

Muscle inflammation (any kind of inflammation if you want to be technical) holds onto fluid. Even if your body is just inflamed from stress. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Muscle inflammation (any kind of inflammation if you want to be technical) holds onto fluid. Even if your body is just inflamed from stress. 

That makes sense. Usually I am not so particular with my weight because I see some changes but with the amount I am eating and working out, I would think some decrease would happen. Plus it was a challenge goal to get below 308 and stay there.

I definitely am not gaining muscle as fast as I drop weight so that isnt the cause of staying the same. At my size, I should be able to comfortably eat around 2700 calories minimum, maybe more to maintain weight, so 2300 should be a decent cut even if I go over a bit a few days. I cant really cut much more than that and still be able to lift heavy.

19 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

That makes sense. Usually I am not so particular with my weight because I see some changes but with the amount I am eating and working out, I would think some decrease would happen. Plus it was a challenge goal to get below 308 and stay there.

I definitely am not gaining muscle as fast as I drop weight so that isnt the cause of staying the same. At my size, I should be able to comfortably eat around 2700 calories minimum, maybe more to maintain weight, so 2300 should be a decent cut even if I go over a bit a few days. I cant really cut much more than that and still be able to lift heavy.

Have you considered eating MORE for a week or two and see if that helps your body start reducing inflammation and get it out of starvation mode? A week or two wouldn't greatly effect your long term goals if it doesn't end up helping. 

25 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Have you considered eating MORE for a week or two and see if that helps your body start reducing inflammation and get it out of starvation mode? A week or two wouldn't greatly effect your long term goals if it doesn't end up helping. 

Yes, I have tried this once before. I followed the Renaissance Periodization diet for a few weeks but honestly wasnt able to keep up. They listed my cut at 2600 and maintenance at 3500. I had trouble eating 2600 without eating loads of junk. I currently use IIFYM to judge macros and they have cut sitting at 2350 which is only slightly more than I have set now. I can try a re-feed again and see if that helps balance everything out.

And there is the fact that nutrient/calorie dense non-junk food is more expensive. To hit higher calories without eating junk you need afford better quality fatty meats, avocados, nuts, almond butter, quality bacon, and the higher end vegetables have more calories like brussels sprouts and asparagus (higher cal) vs green beans and celery (lower cal). Even sweet potatoes cost more than regular potatoes, although I'm not convinced there is a huge benefit to eating sweet potatoes vs regular potatoes. Even higher quality grains cost more than plain rice. Not sure if that is an issue for you, but if I had to eat 3500 calories a day that wasn't junk, price would be a factor. 

7 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

To hit higher calories without eating junk you need afford better quality fatty meats, avocados, nuts, almond butter, quality bacon, and the higher end vegetables have more calories like brussels sprouts and asparagus (higher cal) vs green beans and celery (lower cal).

Here is the RP template breakdown of what they suggested for fat loss. I considered all my workouts light since it is designed more for athletes/crossfiters to perform and cut fat.

Training Type Calories   Protein     Carbs          Fat
Non-Training Day 2550 250 160 101
Light Training Day 2550 250 310 34

Non-Training Protein Carbs Fat  
Meal 1 Breakfast 50 32 20.2  
Meal 2 Lunch 50 32 20.2  
Meal 3 Afternoon 50 32 20.2  
Meal 4 Dinner 50 32 20.2  
Meal 5 Bedtime 50 32 20.2  

Light Training Protein Carbs Fat  
Meal 1 Breakfast 50 15.5 13.6  
Meal 2 Lunch 50 15.5 13.6  
Meal 3 Pre Workout 50 46.5 3.4  
Meal 4 During/Post Workout 50 124 0  
Meal 5 Post-Post Workout 50 108.5 3.4  

Issues:

1. 250g protein is a lot and like you said it gets pricey. Even with just chicken breasts, thats like 2+ pounds of meat per day. I would supplement with my protein shakes which I do actually like so that wasnt a big deal.
  2. I like carb cycling and workouts and recovery feel better when I eat my carbs just before and after working out. But the harder part was the fat gets cut out when they do a cut and cycles the opposite of carbs on workout days. Eating a meal of 108 carbs and 50g of protein after the gym with only 3.4g fat is near impossible.

But I have read through their book and it really does make sense to me plus major success with many of their followers. They focus on the idea that carbs are used to fuel workouts and allow you to perform your best and you dont want to cut those out. Thus the cut in fat when on a fat loss segment to reduce calories. Ill have to look into it a bit.

Really though all this doesnt matter if I cant control what I eat. Regardless of the goal I need to get to a point where I am eating at a constant level. The 2100 one day and 3300 the next day clearly doesnt work!

5 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

Really though all this doesnt matter if I cant control what I eat. Regardless of the goal I need to get to a point where I am eating at a constant level. The 2100 one day and 3300 the next day clearly doesnt work!

this is my life

• Like 1