• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ArgSki77

ArgSki77 Uses Kryptonite For Good

44 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm excited for your fancy pants scale.

And built in MFP synchronization...all the weight to calorie and exercise correlation charts will be upcoming. Love me some good data.

Though my charts wont be good as Matlab and WolframAlpha easter eggs...

RegionalPlotSuperman

1 hour ago, ArgSki77 said:

Also, ordered a new Withings scale since my current scale is something crappy from the dollar store. A little added treat for some motivation. Plus I'm a sucker for anything Bluetooth!

Give us a review on the scale after you've evaluated it.  I love gadgets!

On 6/15/2016 at 8:56 AM, ArgSki77 said:

We are really on the same wavelength. I was thinking about that last night actually. When my macro ratios are off, I tend to look at whether the increased values were at least good foods. I though that they would have been good fats but, looking at my log, I had the chance to eat better fats. Most of those fat grams came from dairy which isn't that good. Next time I should probably sub guac for the cheese and sour cream but I was feeling cheap and didnt want to pay more on top of the double meat cost.

Plus I had some calories to burn at the end of the night and I was starving after the gym to the point where my planned dinner didnt cut it. So I added in a few frozen meatballs as a snack (and to clean out the freezer for the move...side goals!). Then I remembered why I haden't eaten them in the past which is that they are pretty much equal fat to protein and tons of calories but boy are they tasty!

i think you could have definitely done worse with fat sources. as long as your body reacts fine with dairy, i'm all about it. plus fat from meat? that's good in my book too. okay, would it have been better for you to have made your own meatballs with grassfed beef and veal? maybe. lol but solid choices none the less.

Week 1 Day 3 and 4 Weigh In:

Rest day yesterday so it wasnt that exciting. Ended up really just leaving me with no excuse to leave work early. Was at work until 8, ate dinner, did ROMWOD and went to bed. First time I was able to go to bed before 1130 in a while. Cant wait to have the day off tomorrow. I can sleep in a bit before having to get up to pack my apartment and take my final exam.

Food was pretty good for eating out for breakfast and lunch. Once again fats were a bit high but this time I know they were good. Avocado and olive oil on my salad at lunch and steak for dinner jacked that value way up. And the lemonade I had at lunch brought the calorie count up above where it was supposed to be but not the worst day. Even at 2500 calories I should lose weight or maintain at the worst. Cal 2499 Carb 218 Fat 102 Protein 170

Weigh In this morning was a bit of a surprise. 312.6 which was about a pound fluctuation up from the day before. Usually my rest days are the days I drop the most weight since my body spends all day in recovery from two heavy workout days. Its a completely different feeling than on days that I lift and I felt like that yesterday but no drop this time. But that weight could be anything. A couple pound fluctuation day to day is pretty common so not really that worried. Could very well have been that I put my AC in and didnt get as warm over night as I have been the last few days or the extra glass of water I drank to take my allergy medicine...who knows. All I hope for is that trend doesn't continue.

Day 4 workout/food update preview: I missed free bagel Thursday this morning and it was pretty devastating...stay tuned for more details.

• Like 1

I don't put a lot of stock in what I weigh.  I weigh myself several times a week, but anything less than a 1% change isn't statistically significant.  Put it this way - when I came back from Pennsylvania Sunday, I felt a little dehydrated even though I was 266 vs 263 on Friday.  So I sat down and drank water.  I was 274 later in the day.  I woke up Monday at 265.  A pint of water weighs a pound.  I would say I weigh 265 +/- 2, but I can swing outside of that pretty easily.

TL;DR - a 1# fluctuation could just be statistical noise.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

Week 1 Day 3 and 4 Weigh In:

Rest day yesterday so it wasnt that exciting. Ended up really just leaving me with no excuse to leave work early. Was at work until 8, ate dinner, did ROMWOD and went to bed. First time I was able to go to bed before 1130 in a while. Cant wait to have the day off tomorrow. I can sleep in a bit before having to get up to pack my apartment and take my final exam.

Food was pretty good for eating out for breakfast and lunch. Once again fats were a bit high but this time I know they were good. Avocado and olive oil on my salad at lunch and steak for dinner jacked that value way up. And the lemonade I had at lunch brought the calorie count up above where it was supposed to be but not the worst day. Even at 2500 calories I should lose weight or maintain at the worst. Cal 2499 Carb 218 Fat 102 Protein 170

Weigh In this morning was a bit of a surprise. 312.6 which was about a pound fluctuation up from the day before. Usually my rest days are the days I drop the most weight since my body spends all day in recovery from two heavy workout days. Its a completely different feeling than on days that I lift and I felt like that yesterday but no drop this time. But that weight could be anything. A couple pound fluctuation day to day is pretty common so not really that worried. Could very well have been that I put my AC in and didnt get as warm over night as I have been the last few days or the extra glass of water I drank to take my allergy medicine...who knows. All I hope for is that trend doesn't continue.

Day 4 workout/food update preview: I missed free bagel Thursday this morning and it was pretty devastating...stay tuned for more details.

I must have karmic-ly ate your bagel because I never do bagel Thursday but I had one this week because I lifted this morning and felt like I needed it. I had to check your intro thread to confirm we weren't in the same bagel Thursday program. ;) 

Week 1 Day 4 Gym and Food:

LSGzOZhqTz3BC.gif

^General mood at the gym today^

Worked almost 50 hours since last Friday and barely slept last weekend. Deadlift day is my most strenuous lifting day between the deadlift progression and then the 12" deadlift 350 method. I got through the main sets with the same numbers as last week...405lbs estimated 1rm so a weekly 90% single of 365lbs and 13 reps at 285lbs for the AMAP. The real tiredness set in during the 350 method with 205lbs on the bar which was a 5lb increase. But that 5lbs felt like 50 when those reps came around managed 15,15,10 for 40 total. I had nothing in the tank during those last 10. Went and did some lighter battle rope overhead slams, hanging knee raises as prescribed and just one set of bulgarian split squats. Then went home and ate and did warrior routine ROMWOD. It was a long 45 minutes but managed to stay pretty relaxed throughout which was difficult in some of the longer days. I think it was probably the fact I was so tired that I had no option but to be relaxed.

But dinner made it a bit better. Grilled up some flat iron steak and made some tacos with fresh spicy salsa and a protein shake. The rest of the day was a decent food day...besides the aforementioned missed bagel breakfast. Woke up late and when I got into work there was a customer meeting and they had raided the bagels and there were none left. That is my typically only carby breakfast during the week so I was a bit disappointing. And on top of that I got called to another office and had to rush out soon after so I didnt get any breakfast at all. That also means I got stuck with poor lunch choices for lunch at a mall food court. There was pretty much just a taco bell or chinese food. I took what I thought was a better choice which was some plain lo mein noodles, steamed chicken and broccoli, and some spicy shrimp. It actually turned out to be a pretty spot on day with the macros so I'm happy that I managed to keep it sane through the busy day.

Cal 2403 Carb 198g Fat 93g Protein 204g 

• Like 2

Week 1 Day 5:

Weigh in this morning was at 311.4lbs. Sitting at just about the same point as last week. Not bad but not great either. Was hoping to see a bit of a drop but cant win every week.

I work a 9/80 schedule so I have off-fridays built in to my schedule every other week but its been so busy that I've been working on my scheduled days off recently. Today I refused since the schedule was burning me out and its been the best day. Slept in until 9 and went straight to the gym. Knew that I wouldn't have had the motivation to go on such a nice day if I sat around in the morning. Cranked out my overhead press work with all the accessories to the best of my ability. Broke through a stall last week so 5lb increase on the 1RM OHP estimate baseline, now at 160lbs. Todays workout then consisted of ramp up to heavy single at 145lbs and an AMAP of 13reps at 115lbs. Assisted dip(-185lbs) and incline pushup(18" box) 350 method sets at 43 and 33 reps respectively. And lastly, 4x9 dumbell rows at 80lbs and 4x10 side and lateral raises at 20lbs.

I know this isnt the near the end of the challenge nor is it the end of the program I am working on but when I met with my coach to set the program up, we mapped out the 12 weeks of workouts which was the timing until I moved to Boston where I then could start training in his gym. Anyways, here is the 3 month wrap-up on this program. Its been an awesome period of progress with PRs I never thought that I would get to. I saw some periods of quick growth after adjusting to the volume and dedicated training and I also saw periods of grinding through some lifts for a few weeks on end. Pushing close to the 1000lb total that I need for the August competition!

mN7IIR2.jpg?1

Since it was so nice out, I took my ROMWOD outside on my porch with my black iced coffee and local strawberries from the farm next door which I argue is the best way to do yoga. I was also able to make some real food instead of take-out. The old paleo fan in me came out...made some over-easy eggs with Canadian bacon and shredded sweet potatoes for breakfast and a Moroccan seasoned burger patty with avocado and spicy salsa for lunch. And I've already started to defrost shrimp for dinner which I am going to use to make shrimp scampi with local kale and fresh pasta for dinner. Throwing a protein shake in there this afternoon to boost the protein values a bit as well. With this all mapped out I can already mark up my macros in MFP for the day which are once again pretty ideal.

Cal 2320: Carb 170g Fat 94g Protein 204g

TL;DR - Killing it in the gym and kitchen

• Like 1

Week 1 Day 6 Morning:

Last full day living in New Hampshire. That awesome day yesterday led to an awesome result on the scale this morning. Weighed in at 308.1lbs! That puts me at the goal weight for this challenge. Now ideally I can bring it down a bit more so that I can bulk back up a bit trying to pick up some lifting increases before August. I took the measurement on my new scale so I was a bit skeptical...but it was the same on my old scale too! Its amazing what happens with a day of good gym focus, homemade healthy food and relaxation. It could also have been that I took my air conditioner out to pack for moving and Ive been sitting and sleeping in a 75 degree apartment for a full day now. But Ive kept up with water intake so it can all have been dehydration.

Anyways, today is a very similar looking day. Spent some of the morning cleaning my apartment for the move tomorrow. Its amazing how much stuff I had to bring to the dump/donation bin that I have accumulated over only 2 years of living in this apartment by myself. I rolled up to the dump with what looked like a "family of 4 who just threw a big party" amount of trash and recyclables. Made a veggie and canadian bacon omelet for breakfast and have another Moroccan burger for lunch. That pretty much wipes out the rest of the food in my house though so I will have to go out and get something for dinner. Ill have to look at my macro counts but probably something like chipotle where I can pick and chose what I want to match macro goals.

Week 1 Day 7:

Never been happier to be in bed. Now officially back to being an MA resident. Spent all day yesterday packing and all day today actually moving and unpacking in the new apartment. Definitely no rest on my rest day weekends this weekend. Just need to work through some boxes but got all of the big stuff in and many boxes put away already which brings a big check for my LUYL goal for this challenge!

There were fitness benefits to this weekend too.

1) Moving is quite the workout. Lots of heavy things to lift. Plus my old apartment was on second floor so I went up and down countless times stacking boxes in the car.

2) I was so busy that I really had no time to sit around and snack on junk. Yesterday I rounded the night off with chipotle like I predicted and only messed up my macros a bit because I got a small bag of chips for a little crunch in my salad and carb boost. Today was not as good but we were moving all day, breakfast sandwich this morning and celebratory all-you-can-eat(if it fits your macros) sushi after finishing the move. I actually ordered another few pieces of sashimi and a hand roll because I was live tracking and had more room to eat within goal since only really had two meals today and all the exercise moving in 85 degree heat.

3) Weight was down a bit again this morning...307.7lbs which is officially below goal instead of that pesky 308.1lbs.

Back to the work grind tomorrow. Hopefully I am not at work too late and I can make it to the super market and gym after work otherwise one will have to wait until Tuesday.

Week 2 Day 1 Weigh In:

Weight this morning was a bit higher. 309.1lbs. After not eating most of the day and moving stuff in the heat, I spent all night drinking water to rehydrate and I think my body held onto that sushi dinner for dear life since it was the only thing I really ate all day. Still felt kinda full this morning which is very unusual. Slowly working through a peanut butter protein smoothie from the place near work which is also strange because they are so good, they usually don't even make it to my desk. Hopefully my body readjusts now that I can eat at regular times again. If only I had the time to go to the super market so that I don't have to get takeout all this week. Hoping to squeeze that in tonight but depends on how work goes.

This is definitely going to be an adjustment week. Didn't quite finish moving everything this weekend so I'm gonna need to run back to my old apartment to grab some boxes after work some time and that's gonna take up some time after work. Plus my commute is now 45 min instead of 20 min so there is some added time to my day plus I'm up at 5:30 instead of 6:30. Couple all of that with possible overtime work again and the week is already full without even scheduling my workouts. Got to see which gym I can use, whether its the new one or old one this week. Once I can iron that schedule out and work settles down, I can fully plan to attend the classes at the new gym. Oh and I have a final report for my masters class that needs to get done by next Monday so sometime that needs to magically appear.

13 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I'm always, always, always heavier after sushi.

Yeah I tracked on MFP in real time to stay close to macro goals but the rolls vary so much that I think hidden calories are making it in there. Plus I always think fish = good protein so sushi must be great but its really more of a carb meal than anything.

Week 2 Day 1 Workout/Food:

Workout was short and sweet. In order to not burn myself out completely, I am basically giving myself an hour in the gym for my workouts this week. Its usually a hour and 45 min to fit in all sets of main lifts and accessory work and a little warmup and cooldown. With the single hour, I should get all my main lift sets, the first 350 method exercise and a set or 2 of the rest of my accessory...at least thats what last night was. Squats stayed the same 1RM at 325. 90% at 295lb definitely felt lighter this week and that showed with an added rep on the AMAP(14) at 230lbs. That AMAP was the first time I had failed a squat in a long time and I still cant get used to that feeling. I was pretty confident that I could hit the 15 rep mark so I could increase weights next week but I couldn't drive it all the way back up and had to bring it back to the safeties. It was a weird sticking point too. Usually if I fail a rep, I get into the hole and get stuck there. If I get the bar moving then I usually can get it up. This time I was stuck halfway up and just couldn't drive my hips to hit the lockout. Just an interesting point to watch for in the future. Finished with a 350 method RDL at a lighter 115 fixed weight bar since I couldn't get a barbell and space and didnt want to wait, then a 2x50' farmer carry with 80lb dumbells, and a 100' walking lunge set.

Food was good. Went to Wegmans for the first time on my way home and I was in meal prep heaven. They had 3lb packs of lean ground turkey and a family pack of pork chops that were individually sealed. Made up almost a pound of the turkey for dinner last night because it was almost 9:30 and squats made me hungryyy. Added in some peppers and onions to give a veggie boost too. Wanted to meal prep fully with turkey sausage breakfast bowls and pork chops for lunches but I was practically falling asleep cooking the breakfasts that I didnt get to make the lunches. Going to try and make porkchops tonight so I don't have to eat takeout for lunch all week.

Cal 2430 Carb 177g Fat 101g Protein 217g

Week 2 Day 2 Weigh In:

Despite a decent food day, holding steady at 309.4lbs. Not much more of an update from that. New scale measures BF% which seems to vary a lot. But I think this is standard for electrical impedance measurements since hydration and other factors change the values. Its dropped from 44% to 41% over the last week which I don't know how accurate but I would like to see that constantly below 40%.

• Like 1

amazing job getting in a workout and grocery shopping despite your new and crazy schedule this week.

also, I LOVE WEGMANS! i went to the opening of the westwood one and never looked back. look for the red "special" stickers on stuff like their marinated chicken breasts because those cook up so nicely in the oven, you can cook a bunch at a time, and i freeze them even though the package says not to. also, their hot italian poultry sausage is awesome and usually you can find some of those with "special" stickers on them too :D enjoy!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

also, I LOVE WEGMANS! i went to the opening of the westwood one and never looked back. look for the red "special" stickers on stuff like their marinated chicken breasts because those cook up so nicely in the oven, you can cook a bunch at a time, and i freeze them even though the package says not to. also, their hot italian poultry sausage is awesome and usually you can find some of those with "special" stickers on them too :D enjoy!

Their selection of meats was awesome. I was on the lookout for any meat that was on sale. That's pretty much how I base my weekly shopping anyways since I eat a lot of protein and that adds up fast. My meals tend to just be some protein with some side vegetable and a carb after the gym so its easy to swap in whatever is cheapest.

I also have a weakness for cheese and cured meats and their selection is awesome for that stuff. giphy.gif

I had the post squat hunger setting in so I had to hustle past that section before I ate it all right there on the spot.

9 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

Their selection of meats was awesome. I was on the lookout for any meat that was on sale. That's pretty much how I base my weekly shopping anyways since I eat a lot of protein and that adds up fast. My meals tend to just be some protein with some side vegetable and a carb after the gym so its easy to swap in whatever is cheapest.

Meat + broccoli + sweet potato every dinner is where it's at.  No thinking required. 

• Like 3

ooo yeahhh we usually indulge in a new type of cheese every other week and just take our time eating it plain :D plus the cured meats/cheese platters are perfect for something quick to grab for a friend's get together!

5 hours ago, Grymm said:

Meat + broccoli + sweet potato every dinner is where it's at.  No thinking required. 

I could definitely live off that exact meal but I'm a Mexican or Italian kinda person. My go to dinners are tacos with pepper and onions in a bowl for non gym days and with tortillas for gym days and I like seafood pasta like shrimp or salmon scampi which I just cut back on the oil and add kale/spinach. But if I get to grill food outside, I love a good steak and sweet potato dinner.

11 hours ago, Grizzy said:

If sweet potato is involved, count me in.

4d16042bd7e433647267adbcc0c1824f.jpg

http://minimalistbaker.com/easy-baked-sweet-potato-tater-tots/

For your enjoyment, one of my favorite sweet potato recipes. Omit the sugar because potato is sweet enough. But I make them and freeze them before baking, then when I want I can just throw some in the oven. I also bake them longer so they get crispier.

1 hour ago, ArgSki77 said:

4d16042bd7e433647267adbcc0c1824f.jpg

http://minimalistbaker.com/easy-baked-sweet-potato-tater-tots/

For your enjoyment, one of my favorite sweet potato recipes. Omit the sugar because potato is sweet enough. But I make them and freeze them before baking, then when I want I can just throw some in the oven. I also bake them longer so they get crispier.

Just for this, you are my new favorite person.

• Like 1

Week 2 Day 2 Gym and Food:

Gym was solid. Stuck to my hour long workout allowance. But it was real busy and I agreed to let this other guy work in on the bench. I usually dont mind letting someone set in but it threw me off yesterday. I got up to my 90% 1 RM at 230lbs and it was a solid lift but then it felt like I rushed the AMAP. I got 14 which is 1 rep increase but I felt like if I waited another minute or so like I usually would on my last few sets, I could have hit 15 or 16 and increased my maxes for next week. And then it was all mental and I ended up skipping the 1/2 AMAP set at the end because it was stressing me out watching this guy I was lifting with rep 315 repeatedly. 

To make up for the missed set a bit, I upped the incline press 350 method to 135lbs. I managed 40 reps which was actually higher considering it was a jump up from 115lbs. Finished up with a 3x10 of barbell rows at 115lbs and 1x20 barbell curls at 65lbs.

Food was better since I was sort of back on meal prep(breakfast and planned dinner) and got a decent salad for lunch to fill in the gap. Cal 2,287 Carb 163g Fat 89g Protein 212g

Week 2 Day 3:

Might as well continue my update streak. Today is rest day so I've basically hit all my update points. Weighed in this morning at 309.3lbs so same as yesterday. That is strange to me since I was even a bit low on calories yesterday but maybe I've gotten rid of the random fluctuations a bit and staying more steady now. Food is all planned out for dinner so I've finished up my MFP log already. Had a customer meeting today and we ended up going out to lunch at chipotle again which I couldnt really turn down even though I brought food so Im swapping meals a bit. Gonna eat the pork chops I meal prepped for lunch with a little rice as a filler for my dinner since my dinner was going to be a taco salad similar to what I got at chipotle anyways.

Cal 2274 Carb 132g Fat 80g Protein 221g

Also, I dont know why this has completely slipped my mind for 3 days now but since I moved I haven't even remembered that I was doing ROMWOD. Need to do that tonight and get back on track.