KiltedCowboy trains to tackle the (Green) Hill

Ok so it has been quite a long time since I did abchallenge,. But I figure giving it another try can't hurt.

At the end of August,  I will be competing in the Highland games at Green Hill (Roanoke, VA).  I did surprisingly well at my first comp this year,  setting 4 PRs after not training or really lifting at art this pat winter.  Now that I am back in the gym I am hoping I can do even better!

(Edit)

Here are the basics for my goals

1:  Lift using the Stronglifts app 2 or 3 days a week.  (On 2 day weeks I'll take the spinning class at the gym)

2:  Cut back on my snacking at work and drinking less soda. The plan is to only allow myself 1 soda a week at work.  In addition I plan to limit my beef consumption at home to one a night during the week.

3:  Start walking the dog every other day. Both Sprocket and I need to do this again.  

Life Goal:  Be consistent it's reading my devotional through the app I have.

Might add add more detail later :)

• Like 1

-KiltedCowboy

Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

Rev. 22:1-5

Confederate Thrower of Heavy Stuff

Lt. WFD - 37'9" | Hvy. WFD - 16'8" | Braemar Stone - 21'0" | Open Stone - 28'7

WOB - ? | Lt. Hammer - 71'7"| Hvy. Hammer - ? | Sheaf - ? | Caber - ?

YAYYYAYAYAY! So highlandy!

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Which events do you compete in? I've been to a couple Highland Games and they are pretty awesome. Except the one year when it was blazing hottttt. 

With the heavy athletics you compete in everything.  I like it because it forces you to learn a lot (and in the fly too with changing weather) and helps you become a more rounded strength athlete.

-KiltedCowboy

Following for stronglifts (whoohoo, stronglifts!) and the soda cut (damn delicious demons they are)

• Like 1

I´m a bass player, what´s your superpower?

"Small you are? Lift you must!" Master Broda, at the Dagobrah warrior bootcamp to his apprentice Luke Skylifter

"Let not the gains of your heart diminish the gains from your mind for the path of iron is long and full of hardship"  Book of Liftviticus ch23, v13

Success starts where excuses end! 

\m/ Be awesome!!! \m/

My DailyBattleLog:

\m/ Commitment on being awesome \m/

My Current Challenge:

Click me!!!

Also this is Sprocket 

image.jpeg

• Like 7

-KiltedCowboy

So technically the challenge doesn't start until tomorrow but I had an awesome lifting session yesterday morning.  Was fairly empty at the gym so I could move easily from one thing to another.  It was definitely one of those workouts that leaves you standing a little taller and starting Friday off right

image.png

image.png

• Like 3

-KiltedCowboy

Mid week update time! (Posted late cause I couldn't find the thread)

1:  Lift using the Stronglifts app 2 or 3 days a week.

This is a 2 day lifting week since I slept so horribly Sunday night, I decided to skip the gym and sleep in Minday morning.  Also on Saturday I'm going to a training clinic for throwing.  One of the pros, Wes Kiser is going to be coaching in addition to some other rising stars here in the Carolinas.  I'm pretty excited!  Today's screenshot will be below,  I'm writing this between sets :P 

2:  Cut back on my snacking at work and drinking less soda.

Just realized I said beef instead of beer in the original post so I fixed that

I have done okay with this one so far.  It helps that I ate all of the extra snack things in my seat and am back to my stash of peanuts.  So a few handfuls throughout the day.

doing well with the soda part.  Pretty sure I have only had a couple glasses of ginger ale so far.  Only one beer this week

3:  Start walking the dog every other day.

Fiancee (R) and I tried to go for a walk with the pups last night but it started storming right after we left the house,  so we didn't get very far

Life Goal:  Be consistent it's reading my devotional through the app I have.

Only read yesterday because I was stressing at work and needed a pick me up,. But hey that's what devos are there for sometimes!

• Like 1

-KiltedCowboy

Double update!  So in addition to the update above,. Here's where I stand midweek of week 2.

Im keeping up with my lifting.  Took last Friday off because of a throwing clinic.  That clinic was a blast!  I learned so much and with some instantly noticeable results too.

As for snacking in doing pretty well.  Back to a couple handfuls of peanuts a day at work.

Walking the dog is meh,. We are playing a bit but life is just busy right now at the evening.

Devotions are keeping up,. Had a good faith chat with my best friend yesterday over lunch too.

• Like 2

-KiltedCowboy

Friday morning at the gym, Woo!  Not gonna lie I am super tired this morning.  Started my SL sets out of order because both the squat rack and the cage were occupied (the rack for someone doing squats, and the cage by someone doing barbell shrugs)

So I did my Triple 7 curls until the cage opened up.  Failed both sets at 80#

Squats went well, OHP too.

Ive had a tight muscle in my neck since the weekend and OHP was tougher cause of a slight loss of flexibility and the tension in that muscle.  Ended up putting my wrist wraps in after 3 working sets too.

Deads were fine though I am still getting used to the SL idea that doing more than 1 working set of Deads isn't beneficial...

Hanging knee new raises were fine,. Pull ups sucked eggs.  Still working towards a single set of BW pull ups.  Today was 4/5/5 w/ 55# assist.

overall good workout.  Managed to write all this between sets today too!

• Like 2

-KiltedCowboy

Monday morning update...

ugh I'm tired today.  Stayed up watching the Olympic trials last night.  So far workout is going well as I write this.  Hit 125# squats this morning and they get really solid as I got closer to the end of my sets.

Bench is a tad wonky.  Something in my left wrist felt a little pinched.  Moving my thumb dead under the bar instead of around it like normal seemed to help.

We took the dogs in a short walk last night.  It's been bloody hot here even in the evenings recently.  Even the pups don't want to be out for too long.

Back to the gym though.  It continues to amaze me how many people hesitate to ask if they can work in.  The question I always get is "how many more sets do you have?"  When I offer to let them work in its either "No" "I'll go do something else". Ther stand around awkwardly waiting,. Or today's comment "I'd have to mess up your weights".  Am I missing something by being totally okay with people working in?

-KiltedCowboy

2 hours ago, KiltedCowboy said:

Back to the gym though.  It continues to amaze me how many people hesitate to ask if they can work in.  The question I always get is "how many more sets do you have?"  When I offer to let them work in its either "No" "I'll go do something else". Ther stand around awkwardly waiting,. Or today's comment "I'd have to mess up your weights".  Am I missing something by being totally okay with people working in?

I have noticed it, too.  I think that it depends on the culture of the gym in which you lift.  

I say keep offering; you are being a role model!  :-)

~Emerald_Dragonfly

Level 13 Warrior

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I have noticed it, too.  I think that it depends on the culture of the gym in which you lift.  

I say keep offering; you are being a role model!  :-)

That what I figured.  I go to Golds and most everyone is plugged into their headphones (me included) and just seem to want to get their stuff done and go.  I have met a few folks who are more social and we chat it up.  Which is nice,. Helps me to wake up faster since I lift at 5am

• Like 1

-KiltedCowboy