[Charlie_Quinn] Mostly Void, Partially Stars

tumblr_nh9omaT3mV1sholl5o9_1280.png

Got some annoying news this morning; an email stating that the One True Grit race on the 31st July has been cancelled. They've said they've moved my registration over to the 2nd October race, but I had purchased a season pass so I'm already signed up to that race. Now I have to email them to see if I can get a refund, but as I had a season ticket, I'm not sure that's likely. I also can't find an alternative OCR to do locally that weekend as a replacement. Grrrrr.

Anyway, BW workout was done last night. It's week 3 of the plan so I had to increase the difficulty slightly. That was fine for the chin ups - I just removed the x-small resistance band (I was using a small and x-small band together) - and the push ups, but it was a bit tricky for the single leg squats. I've been squatting onto a chair but couldn't find anything that was slightly lower than the chair to squat down to. I have the boxes I use for my feet for benching so I tried one of those, but once I got my butt down to the box, I couldn't get myself back up again! The box is definitely too low for me without a bit of assistance and I'm still really wobbly on one leg, so I'm going to try using my suspension trainer to provide a bit of stability. Like this:

jf12_muscbstrength4a2.jpg

I went back to doing the SL squats to a chair for the rest of the workout. Today is a rest day in the plan so I'll try with the suspension trainer on Wednesday. As it's rest day in the plan, I'll go for a run tonight and do some extra push-ups for the mini throughout the day.

• Like 5

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

That stinks about the race, good job on the progressions.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On July 1, 2016 at 5:28 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm sure this is the case for a lot of us. As DarkRaideR said; as nerds, we question everything so we know that BMI is bull so it's OK to ignore what it's saying if we know we're in good shape (and getting better). Ha! thanks! The hair had been through a lot that day, driving rain and winds. I'm amazed it wasn't a big ball of fluff by then! 

Part of my annoyance was because I'm a little worried for my friend who is basing her success purely on her weight and BMI and I think she might feel like she's failing as her weight-loss slows (which is bound to happen as she gets close to her goal weight). I want to tell her that it's totally OK that she "only" lost 1lb this week, that she is getting stronger all the time and becoming a better runner. How do you tell someone not to focus so much on the number on the scale without making it sound like the weight-loss she's achieved so far is worthless? 

BMI is a really tricky metric.  I can see why doctors use it, due to ease and the fact that it's at least a reasonable estimate for most people.  Has your friend tried just using measurements rather than weight to track her progress?  

On July 4, 2016 at 4:53 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm still not feeling 100% yet. I actually managed to get myself up early this morning to go for a run (well, the cat woke me up early, but it still counts) but I came close to being sick when I got up so figured running wasn't such a good idea. As irritating as it is, I'm just glad it hit me now and not the end of this week. 

I'm glad you're feeling better. :)

5 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

The box is definitely too low for me without a bit of assistance and I'm still really wobbly on one leg, so I'm going to try using my suspension trainer to provide a bit of stability. Like this:

jf12_muscbstrength4a2.jpg

I went back to doing the SL squats to a chair for the rest of the workout. Today is a rest day in the plan so I'll try with the suspension trainer on Wednesday. As it's rest day in the plan, I'll go for a run tonight and do some extra push-ups for the mini throughout the day.

That's a solid plan for the pistol squats.  I've found that if you're female and carry a lot of your mass in your rear and legs, it's really tough to keep your body balanced for a SL squat without kind of falling backward.  Using the suspension is a great idea.  You should also maybe work on ankle mobility if your weight is just too far back on the squat.  It can be really frustrating, though.  I feel like I'm strong enough to do the SL squat, but the balance is just impossible.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That stinks about the race, good job on the progressions.

I emailed them about the fee and they said they'll be issuing refunds in the next 2 weeks, so at least that's something. Apparently there were drainage works taking place on the site that was supposed to be finished a month ago and the landowners only told them recently that the works had severely overrun.

1 hour ago, Nymeria said:

Has your friend tried just using measurements rather than weight to track her progress?  

I'm not sure. I was thinking of suggesting it to her when i next see her. She goes to Slimming World which - like most other slimming clubs - is totally reliant on weekly weigh-ins so I'd imagine she's not using measurements.

1 hour ago, Nymeria said:

That's a solid plan for the pistol squats.  I've found that if you're female and carry a lot of your mass in your rear and legs, it's really tough to keep your body balanced for a SL squat without kind of falling backward.  Using the suspension is a great idea.  You should also maybe work on ankle mobility if your weight is just too far back on the squat.  It can be really frustrating, though.  I feel like I'm strong enough to do the SL squat, but the balance is just impossible.

That's where I carry most of my weight, but I'm falling more sideways as opposed to backwards! I have the same problem when doing single leg poses in yoga too, so maybe its just terrible balance! I'm one of those people that can fall over while standing still.

tumblr_inline_mq02met4vf1qkkdn5.gif?w=58

• Like 3

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

15 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm falling more sideways as opposed to backwards! I have the same problem when doing single leg poses in yoga too, so maybe its just terrible balance! I'm one of those people that can fall over while standing still.

Me too ha ha ha!

1879151c0c699c7df5060703d8833272.jpg

Sorry to hear about the OCR being cancelled, that sucks. But it sounds like you have done some great progressions with the SL squats. My workout called for SL squats yesterday and I was falling sideways all over the place.

• Like 1

Challenges 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17

Instagram photos of daily life

Battle Log

"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become" ~ Carl Jung

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm very bottom heavy but I don't really struggle with falling backwards, so I think it's a question of having the ankle mobility to compensate. Side to side wobble is a different thing, but I think it will simply come with practice and increased foot strength.

You know what? After @Nymeria mentioned this, my brain must have been thinking about it all night, as I woke up this morning and suddenly remembered that I sprained my left ankle as a kid. I don't know why this didn't occur to me till now, but I have do have a little less ROM in my left ankle compared to my right. It's always been one of those things that I've always thought was a little weird, but never considered that it might be causing issues elsewhere. 

Now I'm going to go do some research on ankle mobility! Thanks guys!

3 minutes ago, sozzielou said:

Me too ha ha ha!

1879151c0c699c7df5060703d8833272.jpg

Sorry to hear about the OCR being cancelled, that sucks. But it sounds like you have done some great progressions with the SL squats. My workout called for SL squats yesterday and I was falling sideways all over the place.

We'll get there eventually, after much wobbling! Today feels like Thursday to me as I'm off from Friday! Can't wait!!

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

5 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I don't know why this didn't occur to me till now, but I have do have a little less ROM in my left ankle compared to my right. It's always been one of those things that I've always thought was a little weird, but never considered that it might be causing issues elsewhere.

Mobility issues suck! Especially when they come from injury, but luckly most of the time it can be corrected with stretching and mobility drills.

• Like 1

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

23 minutes ago, Agnarr said:

Mobility issues suck! Especially when they come from injury, but luckly most of the time it can be corrected with stretching and mobility drills.

It would probably suck more if I had more than the vaguest of memories of how or when I injured it! I'm sure happened while I was in secondary school (11 years old) as I remember missing PE class for a while, but I can't remember how it happened. I remember going to a doctor and being told it was sprained but I definitely don't remember having any physio for it. I might have to ask one of my parents about it! Bit weird that I don't remember much about it.

I've looked up some exercises to do so I'll work them into my post workout stretches and see how it goes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tumblr_noglq1RBiD1uroo4uo1_540.jpg

I need this on a t shirt.

Yesterday was a bit manic at work. The boss came back from a month long holiday and so had 4+ weeks of mental torturing to catch up on. Sometimes he's the best boss ever and other times he's a complete ass. Yesterday was "ass day".

Along with work, I was trying sort out last minute arrangements for our trip on Friday. I called the cottage owner and confirmed the time to pick the keys up. Which was basically "oh I'll leave the keys in the box near the back door, call me if they aren't there". Country folk, so laid back and trustworthy. You gotta love 'em. Also arranged meeting times with a friend and driving arrangements with SIL to-be.

I did my planned run yesterday evening. I decided that, seeing as I'm not in a training phase (half marathon training starts at the end of this month), I'm not going to track my runs on Strava or use my running watch at all. I get too caught up in analyzing every little detail of my run and for now I just want to go out and enjoy running. It felt really freeing, I just went to the park and ran around until I felt I'd had enough and headed home. I'm going to continue running this way for the next few weeks. When I start my half marathon training I'll need to start tracking again for distance but I might see if I can set my watch to just show me distance so I'm not constantly staring at my watch and checking my time and pace. 

• Like 6

2020 Races: 

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I did my planned run yesterday evening. I decided that, seeing as I'm not in a training phase (half marathon training starts at the end of this month), I'm not going to track my runs on Strava or use my running watch at all. I get too caught up in analyzing every little detail of my run and for now I just want to go out and enjoy running. It felt really freeing, I just went to the park and ran around until I felt I'd had enough and headed home. I'm going to continue running this way for the next few weeks. When I start my half marathon training I'll need to start tracking again for distance but I might see if I can set my watch to just show me distance so I'm not constantly staring at my watch and checking my time and pace. 

I've really been trying to take this mentality to heart recently. I've gone on a few bike rides the past couple of weeks without any sort of tracking, and, you're right, it is freeing when you can just go out and not worry about time or distance. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 6:06 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

Can't be bothered to search for a Night Vale picture this morning, so here's an Awkward Yeti comic that sums up me, every damn morning

Snooze

Oh hey, you found a picture of me! :P 

Re: BMI - mine says I'm almost obese, my doctor also takes measurements though and was like "ya, you're fine, you have muscles" :D But my parents didn't realize how off it can be as soon as you start putting muscle on - they thought I was 20lb lighter than I am and also didn't realize how high my BMI reads, I think it opened up their eyes when I explained it to them!

It's also endless frustrating when people link being female to weakness. 

It always brings the overwhelming urge to deck them whilst yelling something about "tell me how weak I am now!"

It reminded me of this though!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm not going to track my runs on Strava or use my running watch at all. I get too caught up in analyzing every little detail of my run and for now I just want to go out and enjoy running. It felt really freeing, I just went to the park and ran around until I felt I'd had enough and headed home. I'm going to continue running this way for the next few weeks. When I start my half marathon training I'll need to start tracking again for distance but I might see if I can set my watch to just show me distance so I'm not constantly staring at my watch and checking my time and pace. 

3o6gDSdED1B5wjC2Gc.gif

This is an awesome approach. Just enjoy the run.

• Like 3

Challenges 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17

Instagram photos of daily life

Battle Log

"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become" ~ Carl Jung

21 hours ago, Jormungand said:

I've really been trying to take this mentality to heart recently. I've gone on a few bike rides the past couple of weeks without any sort of tracking, and, you're right, it is freeing when you can just go out and not worry about time or distance. 

We're nerds, we love to analyse everything so it's a hard habit to break. 

20 hours ago, maegs said:

It always brings the overwhelming urge to deck them whilst yelling something about "tell me how weak I am now!"

It reminded me of this though!

Great video. Must admit, I wasn't expecting it to be for sanitary products! I get so annoyed when people just assume I lift or move something because of my size or sex. Especially when it's something that's not even that heavy, like a water cooler bottle. Do they think my womb will explode if I lift something heavier than a shopping bag or something? 

5 hours ago, sozzielou said:

3o6gDSdED1B5wjC2Gc.gif

This is an awesome approach. Just enjoy the run.

Haha! That gif! Thatn's some serious overacting there! 

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

22 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I did my planned run yesterday evening. I decided that, seeing as I'm not in a training phase (half marathon training starts at the end of this month), I'm not going to track my runs on Strava or use my running watch at all. I get too caught up in analyzing every little detail of my run and for now I just want to go out and enjoy running. It felt really freeing

This is a great idea!  It's too easy to obsess over all of the numbers and details to a point where you forget to just enjoy what you're doing.  

For the pistol squats, it isn't necessarily an injury issue.  If you tend to wear heels at all or if you ever had a time when you did, you probably just have poor ankle mobility.  Mine is poor, but it's improving.  I have trouble hanging out in a low squat without putting a thin mat or something like that under my heels.

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

1 minute ago, Nymeria said:

This is a great idea!  It's too easy to obsess over all of the numbers and details to a point where you forget to just enjoy what you're doing.  

For the pistol squats, it isn't necessarily an injury issue.  If you tend to wear heels at all or if you ever had a time when you did, you probably just have poor ankle mobility.  Mine is poor, but it's improving.  I have trouble hanging out in a low squat without putting a thin mat or something like that under my heels.

I never wear heels, I've never got on with them so the most I wear is boots with a 1 inch heel. I have been doing my workout barefoot as I hate wearing shoes indoors. Maybe I should try doing them with a pair of trainers on and see if it helps.  I used the suspension trainer last night and it felt a lot more comfortable. I did my best to only lightly hold the handle so I wasn't getting too much support on the way down so it was mostly helping to get myself up from the squat position.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1bd7b0c17929be2edf443ea4222e1166.jpg

So as I said above, the workout was completed last night and the suspension trainer helped with the SL squats. My legs are definitely noticing the difference today! I haven't had any DOMS doing this workout so far but there is a noticeable soreness in my thighs this morning!  

Challenge Wrap Up(?)

This might be the end of this challenge for me. We're driving to Wales tomorrow for a 4 day break and to do Dirty Dash on Saturday. Updates will depend on the internet connection in the cottage we're staying in. If I get a connection, I'll do a little update after the race but if not, I'll move straight onto the new challenge if the boards are up when I get back. I wrote out my next challenge yesterday so I'm ready and raring to go!

I've enjoyed this challenge immensely as it's been a nice break from the norm, but now I feel like I'm ready to get back to the usual challenge format. The best thing I did over the last few weeks was getting Nia Shanks' BW workout. I'm seeing some good progress in my chin ups and push ups and I'm confident I'll be much stronger if I keep this up for the next 6 weeks. Needless to say this is going to factor into the next challenge. 

So if I don't get a chance to log on over the weekend, I hope everyone has an amazing weekend and I'll see you all next week!

tumblr_n4ltwmSZhw1tyl3k8o1_250.jpg

• Like 6

2020 Races: 

Nice job all around. The Night Vale portion has been great, and I've really enjoyed the rest. Have fun while you're away.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Aaaarrrgghhhh!!! Guys!!!!!! I've had the most amazing day at Dirty Dozen.

I don't even know where to begin. Let's start with: I COMPLETED THE MONKEY BARS!! And they weren't a straight set, but the kind that go upwards and then down again. I was so happy afterwards I was screaming and jumping up and down.

Not only that, but I only failed one obstacle and only needed assistance on one, the rest I did solo; including a FRICKIN' 10 FOOT WALL!

And the amazing-ness didn't end there. I came very close to bottling out of going across the slack line as it was high above the water but I sucked it up, did it, and made it across without falling in.

I'm so damn happy right now. Still trying to process this right now and I've had a few beers to celebrate so I'll try and do a proper update when I'm more sober and have a proper Internet connection!!

[emoji41]

• Like 12

2020 Races: 

Rangers Gonna Ranger!

Well done, proud of you.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Awesome! Well done!

• Like 1

Level 13 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Homemaking - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map