• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

elvenengineer

ElvenEngineer Stops Being an Idiot

The title may change, but as you may have surmised from the tags... I hurt my back again. Same thing. I'm an idiot.

This is why you DON'T stop doing your PT exercises when you feel better people. *smacks self on forehead*

So now I must stop being an idiot.

tumblr_nv8mv8Wbfw1u16m3do1_400.gif

For zero week, PT every day. And NO LIFTING.

3 sets of 10 of whatever I can do daily (ab tightening while laying down with knees bent, ab tightening while doing bridges, ab tightening while doing supermans)

Glute stretches in the morning

Glute stretches in the evening

Pigeon pose in the morning (1 minute each side)

Pigeon pose in the evening (1 minute each side)

(I tried to make this a song in my head and failed epically lol)

There will also be graduate school drama and venting I am sure.

On that note, I'm pretty sure I have another sinus infection (doc apt today).

And there may have been a paperwork issue with the thesis defense and I may have to change the date. AGAIN. To the day I was supposed to move to NJ. Of course.

Also, my advisor had like a million more edits when I saw him in person. Why he couldn't email me this, I have no idea.

Themes.... I'm taking suggestions! The gif is from AC Syndicate, which I have started but not finished. I don't want to use it, because #spoilers. But I like that gif :D

• Like 1

First!  (so far)

15 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

The title may change, but as you may have surmised from the tags... I hurt my back again. Same thing. I'm an idiot.

This is why you DON'T stop doing your PT exercises when you feel better people. *smacks self on forehead*

So now I must stop being an idiot.

I do the same thing. :stupid:

Shoulder issues.  Not back issues.

• Like 1

Boooooo for the lifting injury, sinus infection, and thesis drama. Now I know why you were reading Tamora Pierce!

2 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

For zero week, PT every day. And NO LIFTING.

3 sets of 10 of whatever I can do daily (ab tightening while laying down with knees bent, ab tightening while doing bridges, ab tightening while doing supermans)

Glute stretches in the morning

Glute stretches in the evening

Pigeon pose in the morning (1 minute each side)

Pigeon pose in the evening (1 minute each side)

(I tried to make this a song in my head and failed epically lol)

Skidamarink a-dink, a-dink,

Skidamarink a-doo,

PT for you. (2x)

Pigeon in the morning,

And in the afternoon;

Pigeon in the evening,

So you can deadlift soon!

Oh, skidamarink a-dink, a-dink,

Skidamarink a-doo,

PT for you.

*bows*

Notice I snuck in an extra PT session for you ;)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Alanna said:

Boooooo for the lifting injury, sinus infection, and thesis drama. Now I know why you were reading Tamora Pierce!

Skidamarink a-doo,

PT for you. (2x)

Pigeon in the morning,

And in the afternoon;

Pigeon in the evening,

Skidamarink a-doo,

PT for you.

*bows*

That is a most excellent song :) 

Yes, I see that extra pigeon there :P It's just hard in the jeans I'm wearing for work you see. I need to get some of those yoga dress pants....

Tamora Pierce is my happy place. I'm listening to the audiobooks of the Immortals while I run matlab code repeatedly.

Did you know TP herself narrates them?! So cool. And the different characters have different people playing them. It's so soothing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Skidamarink a-doo,

PT for you. (2x)

Pigeon in the morning,

And in the afternoon;

Pigeon in the evening,

Skidamarink a-doo,

PT for you.

*bows*

This is the best!

Now I want to right a version using Thunderstruck - AC/DC!  But I should probably work.

• Like 1

I'll never understand why yoga dress pants need to cost a million dollars. Are they weaving gold threads into the fabric? Yoga pants $12, yoga dress pants $120. Makes sense.....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Are they weaving gold threads into the fabric?

Oh, noes!  I hope we are not talking about the Emperor's New Clothes!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Matlab coding is soothing?

Say it isn't so! ;)

850a61abc00b53f7c804cc85711cf7d1305da78e

zone.gif

funny-code-working-meme.jpg

6 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'll never understand why yoga dress pants need to cost a million dollars. Are they weaving gold threads into the fabric? Yoga pants $12, yoga dress pants $120. Makes sense.....

6 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

Oh, noes!  I hope we are not talking about the Emperor's New Clothes!

lolz... yeah I don't understand yoga dress pants either. New York and Company has decently cheap ones, like $40, but they fall apart. Or I'm just hard on my clohtes. I'm eyeing some $70 ones from betabrand, but.... expensive. grad school. no mix well.

help-me-im-poor.gif

6 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Here to support and cheer you on.  

You remain one of my inspirations - you handle everything that comes your way with both grace and chutzpah.  You got this!  (Get some!)

Aww.... That's so sweet. I feel like I handle it horribly lol. I really appreciate the encouragement.

It hard to get perspective on life when you're all stressed out, it takes good friends to see the other side :)

tumblr_nbk8rckvai1tdhgfho3_500-142679368

post-17965-Supernatural-Dean-Thank-You-g

17 minutes ago, wildross said:

Hi!

HI-GIFS.gif?gs=a

• Like 2

UGH and oh dear. So second on @Emerald_Dragonfly statement about grace and chutzpa, and I hate to hear that you're having to dial back to PT - think I may be joining you soon, my scapular issues have been bugging me lately. Here for support and all the awesome!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

That is a most excellent song :) 

Yes, I see that extra pigeon there :P It's just hard in the jeans I'm wearing for work you see. I need to get some of those yoga dress pants....

Tamora Pierce is my happy place. I'm listening to the audiobooks of the Immortals while I run matlab code repeatedly.

Did you know TP herself narrates them?! So cool. And the different characters have different people playing them. It's so soothing.

Ah, yes, yoga dress pants are the dream...

On the other hand, it IS grad school, right? So do they really need to be DRESS yoga pants?

I had no idea those existed *makes plans to hopefully snag them from a library* -- thanks for the head's up! I don't think I could code and listen to an audiobook at the same time -- I'd probably start accidentally weaving quotes into my script :P. Sounds like you've already done most of the writing part for this project, though.

9 hours ago, Alanna said:

On the other hand, it IS grad school, right?

I thought she was talking about the first job - the one that is taking her to NJ.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alanna said:

Ah, yes, yoga dress pants are the dream...

On the other hand, it IS grad school, right? So do they really need to be DRESS yoga pants?

I had no idea those existed *makes plans to hopefully snag them from a library* -- thanks for the head's up! I don't think I could code and listen to an audiobook at the same time -- I'd probably start accidentally weaving quotes into my script :P. Sounds like you've already done most of the writing part for this project, though.

48 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

I thought she was talking about the first job - the one that is taking her to NJ.

Sam is right. I'm currently working as a civil engineer about 24 hours a week while I finish up the graduate degree. I'll transition to full-time when I move to Jersey.

Currently it's a mix  of field work and writing reports, but I'm in a part of the office where I'm 'supposed' to dress business casual. Jeans are okay on days I'm going in the field.

Who wants to ruin their nice Ann Taylor pants by kneeling in the gravel to look under a tank? *raises hand awkwardly and slowly*

Also, re: audiobooks - my library has an online download audiobook thing called Overdrive. If you go into the library, you may be able to ask if they have something similar. Not that I did that when I visited NJ or anything *(whistles innocently)* They call it something different but it's the same principle. You can check out kindle books and download audiobooks for 21 days, just like a normal library book, but you do it all from you computer or phone! It's great.

Yeah, I couldn't really code while listening to audiobooks, but now it's more liked "advisor doesn't like title, must change all the graph titles and rerun the code", "advisor doesn't like precision on the contour plot, must rerun all the code", etc. [why he couldn't' tell me all of this at once, I have no idea]. I usually change the one or two things while the book is paused, then let it play while the code compiles. It makes it slightly more fun :)

• Like 2

"Tamora Pierce will be appearing at the Barnes and Noble in Dewitt, NY, on Saturday, June 11th, as part of their B-Fest Teen Book Festival! The appearance will involve a panel and a signing, both on Saturday afternoon"...why am I not in NJ yet?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I want to meet her!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

Currently it's a mix  of field work and writing reports, but I'm in a part of the office where I'm 'supposed' to dress business casual. Jeans are okay on days I'm going in the field.

Mix of office and shop over here.  The unofficial dress code is, "Every day is Casual Friday, but we do not want our Customers to find out."  Meanwhile, I am Public Enemy Number One for [violating] disregarding the dress code.  When I think about it, it has been a good couple of years or so since the last time they bugged me about it.

So I just wear jeans and keep a pair of Dockers in a drawer somewhere in case they tell me to change, which they usually don't - because they get more mileage about bugging me about it.

I really pissed my supervisor off one time a few years ago when I told him my definition of "business casual" includes jeans.  (Definitions are vague and change over time.  I read some stories somewhere about Steve Jobs changing a lot of this.  And Silicon Valley.)

But I am NOT a role model! :lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

"Tamora Pierce will be appearing at the Barnes and Noble in Dewitt, NY, on Saturday, June 11th, as part of their B-Fest Teen Book Festival! The appearance will involve a panel and a signing, both on Saturday afternoon"...why am I not in NJ yet?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I want to meet her!

If it's any consolation, Dewitt, NY is 3.5 hours away.  I don't know how rabid a fan you are, but a 7 hr round trip sounds like a lot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grymm said:

If it's any consolation, Dewitt, NY is 3.5 hours away.  I don't know how rabid a fan you are, but a 7 hr round trip sounds like a lot.

I mean, it's a Saturday, so it's doable. I'm a pretty big fan. I nerd out over authors like most girls nerd out over musicians. But eh, I may have not.

25 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Mix of office and shop over here.  The unofficial dress code is, "Every day is Casual Friday, but we do not want our Customers to find out."  Meanwhile, I am Public Enemy Number One for [violating] disregarding the dress code.  When I think about it, it has been a good couple of years or so since the last time they bugged me about it.

So I just wear jeans and keep a pair of Dockers in a drawer somewhere in case they tell me to change, which they usually don't - because they get more mileage about bugging me about it.

I really pissed my supervisor off one time a few years ago when I told him my definition of "business casual" includes jeans.  (Definitions are vague and change over time.  I read some stories somewhere about Steve Jobs changing a lot of this.  And Silicon Valley.)

But I am NOT a role model! :lol:

I wore jeans both yesterday and today, because I need to go to the field, but it's too hot. So just in case I go today, I'll wear jeans.

The sole mechanical engineer in our group wears light wash jeans and tennis shoes every day with a polo. So there's that.

I at least wear nice shoes with my dark wash jeans. And it isn't every day. I have plausible deniability!

I DID A THING! I sent a really hard email.

I had someone proofread it, but I wrote it! And I sent it!

/grad school shenanigans

The deadline for Form X for the graduate school is June 10th. I submitted it the 7th. Found out it's due June 10th OR three weeks before your defense, whatever comes first. My defense is June 17th, sooo..... it's late. It only said that in one place (List A), and that place has been incorrect before. Still got chewed out over not looking at/conforming to List A. Lady said she'd try to send it through anyway.

Prof who makes the decision whether or not to send it through was my undergrad advisor and on my graduate committee. So he knows me. No idea if he's approved it or not, and if he doesn't approve it, I have to reschedule, but I still have to submit the form with the rescheduled date and time on it by June 10th (AKA TOMORROW), and it takes AT LEAST a day to get 3 professors to agree on a date/time. So I need to know if he's going to approve it or not ASAP. But I hadn't heard anything. So I emailed Lady asking about a possible timeline, and told her my constraints. It was TERRIFYING.

/end grad school shennanigans

My back is feeling better! I've done all the PT since I posted my challenge (It wasn't going well before that, hence the post)

Needs ice though.