• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

elvenengineer

ElvenEngineer Stops Being an Idiot

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Urgan said:

YAY COMPLETELY CLEAR AND SENSIBLE GRAD SCHOOL RULES. Job prep 101.

 

Here as always~

But see, I have a job. And it's never this crazy. That's what drives me nuts.

 

Thanks! Are you doing a challenge this time, or sticking to your battle log?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

But see, I have a job. And it's never this crazy. That's what drives me nuts.

 

Your trouble is, you have a more straightforward job than average, lol. It's the only justification I can come up with for the insane arbitrariness, sorry. 

 

5 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

Thanks! Are you doing a challenge this time, or sticking to your battle log?

 

Logging all the things! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Urgan said:

 

Your trouble is, you have a more straightforward job than average, lol. It's the only justification I can come up with for the insane arbitrariness, sorry. 

Logging all the things! 

I wasn't trying to say you were wrong! I hope that's not how it came off. Sorries :(

 

/rant

I just find it really annoying when people compare grad school to 'real jobs' (saying jobs are harder) because by most adulting standards I have and have had real, full time jobs. I'm currently part-time, but I haven't always been.

And every job I've had has been way easier than graduate school, with more clearly defined expectations. Mostly because of the silly paperwork deadlines of grad school. When I have a project at work due June 15th, it's due June 15th. And if something changes (I get sick, have computer issues, scope changes), I call the project manager and update them, then propose a new date if needed.

There's no mystery, it isn't due June 15th unless Bob does something else. It's usually clearly communicated (there are exceptions, but that's the rule I've discovered). Maybe it's also just engineers, or I've had excellent managers? No idea.

 

Also, shouldn't my advisor have known about the mysterious date switcheroo things? Shouldn't they also be annoyed at him? Why is it all my fault?

/end rant, sorry @Urgan

 

I shall head over to your battle log! I'm still having trouble with the 'following' thing...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

I just find it really annoying when people compare grad school to 'real jobs' (saying jobs are harder) because by most adulting standards I have and have had real, full time jobs. I'm currently part-time, but I haven't always been.

And every job I've had has been way easier than graduate school, with more clearly defined expectations.

 

But.  Grad School and Real Industry Job are not the same thing.  They are different.

 

I did not say harder.  I just said different. :apple::orange:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually you're right, in a lot of ways grad school is worse--you'll never have any logical explanation for why shit goes the way it does and it's at least as stressful as doing a full-time job, 'cuz that's what it is. In the case of being employed, at least there's a fighting chance there's a reason for the way things are done...but not always. And from here on out it's miles and miles of possible places to work (aka you probably won't be going back to grad school, right?), all with their own special way of doing things. Hence saying it's job prep. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

/rant

I just find it really annoying when people compare grad school to 'real jobs' (saying jobs are harder) because by most adulting standards I have and have had real, full time jobs. I'm currently part-time, but I haven't always been.

And every job I've had has been way easier than graduate school, with more clearly defined expectations. Mostly because of the silly paperwork deadlines of grad school. When I have a project at work due June 15th, it's due June 15th. And if something changes (I get sick, have computer issues, scope changes), I call the project manager and update them, then propose a new date if needed.

There's no mystery, it isn't due June 15th unless Bob does something else. It's usually clearly communicated (there are exceptions, but that's the rule I've discovered). Maybe it's also just engineers, or I've had excellent managers? No idea.

 

Also, shouldn't my advisor have known about the mysterious date switcheroo things? Shouldn't they also be annoyed at him? Why is it all my fault?

I'm going to agree here.  Actually, when I transitioned from my undergrad to a full time job (I was working full time during school as well), it was like a permanent vacation.  I did a lot of grad level and research work my last couple years in college and I don't miss 20 hour lab days or late nights in the machine room with the SAE team (where they are eating pizza and doing nothing I'm machining micro channel end plates). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2016 at 9:33 AM, Sam Ashen said:

 

Mix of office and shop over here.  The unofficial dress code is, "Every day is Casual Friday, but we do not want our Customers to find out."  Meanwhile, I am Public Enemy Number One for [violating] disregarding the dress code.  When I think about it, it has been a good couple of years or so since the last time they bugged me about it.

 

So I just wear jeans and keep a pair of Dockers in a drawer somewhere in case they tell me to change, which they usually don't - because they get more mileage about bugging me about it.

 

I really pissed my supervisor off one time a few years ago when I told him my definition of "business casual" includes jeans.  (Definitions are vague and change over time.  I read some stories somewhere about Steve Jobs changing a lot of this.  And Silicon Valley.)

 

But I am NOT a role model! :lol:

So blessed to have the most lax dress code at this new job. I'm wearing jeans sneakers and a long sleeve tee right now. And I'm more dressed up than a lot of people. It's awesome.

 

 

On 6/9/2016 at 10:34 AM, elvenengineer said:

I DID A THING! I sent a really hard email.

I had someone proofread it, but I wrote it! And I sent it!

 

/grad school shenanigans

The deadline for Form X for the graduate school is June 10th. I submitted it the 7th. Found out it's due June 10th OR three weeks before your defense, whatever comes first. My defense is June 17th, sooo..... it's late. It only said that in one place (List A), and that place has been incorrect before. Still got chewed out over not looking at/conforming to List A. Lady said she'd try to send it through anyway.

Prof who makes the decision whether or not to send it through was my undergrad advisor and on my graduate committee. So he knows me. No idea if he's approved it or not, and if he doesn't approve it, I have to reschedule, but I still have to submit the form with the rescheduled date and time on it by June 10th (AKA TOMORROW), and it takes AT LEAST a day to get 3 professors to agree on a date/time. So I need to know if he's going to approve it or not ASAP. But I hadn't heard anything. So I emailed Lady asking about a possible timeline, and told her my constraints. It was TERRIFYING.

/end grad school shennanigans

 

My back is feeling better! I've done all the PT since I posted my challenge (It wasn't going well before that, hence the post)

Needs ice though.

Ugh I remember having to jump through all of those horrible hoops.

Advisor has deadline, committee has a different deadline, Mech Eng. Department has a deadline, overall graduate school says something different. How are you supposed to keep anything straight?

Grad school was probably by far the most stressful period of my life. You can do it Elvie :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

So blessed to have the most lax dress code at this new job. I'm wearing jeans sneakers and a long sleeve tee right now. And I'm more dressed up than a lot of people. It's awesome.

 

This morning the Glorified Scheduler Who Believes He Is Next In Line To GM saw me in Jeans and T and asked me if this is how I decided to dress when we have customers in.  I said, "Yup."

 

The day is coming when I will ask him to draw an Org Chart and show me where he is on this chart. :P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

So blessed to have the most lax dress code at this new job. I'm wearing jeans sneakers and a long sleeve tee right now. And I'm more dressed up than a lot of people. It's awesome.

 

Same for me. Jeans, sneakers, and a tee with the superman logo which I was afraid it might not be the best idea for work until I noticed someone else was also wearing a superman t-shirt. Then I realised there might indeed have been a problem... if I wore the Batman one!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Ugh I remember having to jump through all of those horrible hoops.

Advisor has deadline, committee has a different deadline, Mech Eng. Department has a deadline, overall graduate school says something different. How are you supposed to keep anything straight?

Grad school was probably by far the most stressful period of my life. You can do it Elvie :)

Thanks :) 

It was approved by gatekeeper guy. But apparently two other people have to approve it also, which was not previously mentioned?!?!?! I won't know if they approved it until Monday. And if it isn't approved by then, I'm not graduating until December. Which would be REALLY annoying. 

In the meantime, I'm running endless matlab code.

 

In other news, the student health center caught on fire last night, so obviously my mental health appt I usually do on Fridays was cancelled. The whole center was closed.

 

I'm also have a really bad reaction to either the steroid shot or the antibiotics. If they had been open today, I'd have gone to see them. Oh well. If I'm not feeling better by Monday I'll stop by. I feel really feverish all the time, it's hard to go to sleep, but at the same time I'm exhausted and slightly dizzy, despite the whole making myself eat a normal amount thing that I've gotten much better at. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FitNotes Workout - Saturday 11th June 2016

** Barbell Squat **

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 55.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 65.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 65.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 65.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 65.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 65.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Overhead Press **

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Deadlift **

- 95.0 lbs x 5 reps

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Electrolytes and probiotics, they are your friend. I recommend them until you can get in to see a doctor. What you have sounds miserable! I hope you recover quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arson or accidental?

 

Yikes!

 

Lots of fluids, garlic, and onion in addition to the probiotics and electrolytes.

 

 If it doesn't clear up, can you call your home doc?  I forget how far away you are, but he helped last time you had the continuous sticks, right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2016 at 7:26 AM, elvenengineer said:

 

 

Sam is right. I'm currently working as a civil engineer about 24 hours a week while I finish up the graduate degree. I'll transition to full-time when I move to Jersey.

Currently it's a mix  of field work and writing reports, but I'm in a part of the office where I'm 'supposed' to dress business casual. Jeans are okay on days I'm going in the field.

Who wants to ruin their nice Ann Taylor pants by kneeling in the gravel to look under a tank? *raises hand awkwardly and slowly*

 

Also, re: audiobooks - my library has an online download audiobook thing called Overdrive. If you go into the library, you may be able to ask if they have something similar. Not that I did that when I visited NJ or anything *(whistles innocently)* They call it something different but it's the same principle. You can check out kindle books and download audiobooks for 21 days, just like a normal library book, but you do it all from you computer or phone! It's great.

 

Yeah, I couldn't really code while listening to audiobooks, but now it's more liked "advisor doesn't like title, must change all the graph titles and rerun the code", "advisor doesn't like precision on the contour plot, must rerun all the code", etc. [why he couldn't' tell me all of this at once, I have no idea]. I usually change the one or two things while the book is paused, then let it play while the code compiles. It makes it slightly more fun :)

 

 

 

Right, I should have remembered your part-time job!

 

Thanks for the audiobook tips -- I'll have to explore if my library has something along those lines! First step: get a library card.

 

Yeah, that's not the fun part of coding... I'm glad Tamora Pierce was able to make it a bit more bearable :).

 

Hope you feel better soon!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Electrolytes and probiotics, they are your friend. I recommend them until you can get in to see a doctor. What you have sounds miserable! I hope you recover quickly. 

 

22 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Arson or accidental?

 

Yikes!

 

Lots of fluids, garlic, and onion in addition to the probiotics and electrolytes.

 

 If it doesn't clear up, can you call your home doc?  I forget how far away you are, but he helped last time you had the continuous sticks, right?

 

16 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Finally caught up! Wow soooo much going on!

 

Good luck with finalising school!

Good luck with getting better.

Good luck with Challnge!

 

3 hours ago, Alanna said:

 

Right, I should have remembered your part-time job!

 

Thanks for the audiobook tips -- I'll have to explore if my library has something along those lines! First step: get a library card.

 

Yeah, that's not the fun part of coding... I'm glad Tamora Pierce was able to make it a bit more bearable :).

 

Hope you feel better soon!

So this is going to sound really silly, but we just figured out that our AC is broken. Well, technically I figured it out lol. In south Louisiana, no wonder I felt terrible. I was probably not sleeping well, and even when I was at other places I had trouble cooling off. The fan was running but the freon was freezing up. There's a leak or something. 

I feel a lot better now that we have a temporary window AC unit, and the AC guy should come either today or tomorrow. It's amazing how much better not being overheated all the time is! 

 

Still working on thesis, no back pain from lifting yesterday, which is excellent. 

 

21 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Love some Assassin's Creed! I have one style of playing that has carried me through so many titles...

 

5c6.png

So many lolz

 

7 hours ago, Rookiebeotch said:

 

close parenthesis

Thanks :P 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I was hoping to update you guys on the grad school shenanigans, but the lady is not answering my email.

 

In the meantime, goals.

 

During this challenge I will:

-defend my thesis June 17th

-go to Houston for a friend's b-day June 18-20

-finish packing up my apartment for the movers, who come June 28th, while working on a journal paper related to thesis

-'supervise' movers June 28th

-fly to NJ either June 29th or 30th, whatever's cheaper

-'supervise' unpacking via movers

-prepare to start full-time job July 10th

 

So, we're keeping it simple.

1. ONE fruit or veggie a day (talk about a low bar....)

2. Track ONE meal a day (bonus points for tracking a full day)

3. Do PT, as previously stated for zero week

4. Have fun 30 minutes a day minimum

5. There will also be gym stuff, but although my back is not currently hurting, I want to be flexible if it begins again

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

/begin whining

So there's yet another paperwork issue, I'm still sick and the health center is still closed, and I just want to drop out of grad school.

 

I'm seriously considering saying F it, I'll just graduate in December, and push back my defense again. I'll have to fly back from NJ, but at this point it seems like the easiest option.

 

The issue this time is with a form that I submitted two years ago. If you hadn't caught the mistake in the two years since I gave it to you, when I've been sending you regular updates, it can't have been that important?!?!?!

I'm trying to get an exception, but that's stressful, and I really just want to throw in the towel (not graduating until December, not dropping out. I'm done, I refuse to just... not get my diploma).

/end whining

 

Sorry about all the venting. I forgot to eat my fruit or veggie yesterday, but I'm currently eating grapes!

Didn't track yesterday either. Will track two meals today, and eat two fruits today to make up for it.

I have been keeping up with my PT! whoo! Back isn't hurting at all. May go to the gym tonight to take out some.... frustration.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now