• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

elvenengineer

ElvenEngineer Stops Being an Idiot

Congratulations on finishing your thesis!

rawImage.jpg

What are you getting your masters in? I am a grad student come august, I've heard it's pretty rough. I've actually already started collecting data for my thesis already...

• Like 3

Congratulations on finishing your thesis!

rawImage.jpg

What are you getting your masters in? I am a grad student come august, I've heard it's pretty rough. I've actually already started collecting data for my thesis already...

Civil engineering with a concentration in structural engineering :)

Main recommendation: pay REALLY close attention to all the paperwork, always scan stuff and/or follow up with an email documenting that you turned something in and what it said. The amount of horror stories / sympathy I've gotten when I tell people about my paperwork struggle is staggering.

Advisor said I did a great job with the edits!!!!!!!!!!

Now I just have to redo my whole defense PowerPoint... But I'm feeling much better mental health wise, so that's good! I can do the thing!

But first sleep.

I had a salad with dinner and I did some PT so we're calling that a win for today.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

GUYS I FINISHED MY THESIS!

Well, I had already kind of done that. I finished all the edits my advisor asked me to make. Sent it to the SO for proofreading, then will send to advisor.

Such a weight off my shoulders.

Congrats again! Though I can´t appreciate you getting weight off your shoulders. Don´t you even lift? ;)

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, BarbarianBassBro said:

Congrats again! Though I can´t appreciate you getting weight off your shoulders. Don´t you even lift? ;)

I had to get the thesis weight off so I can put the barbell on.

Duh.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, elvenengineer said:

I had to get the thesis weight off so I can put the barbell on.

Duh.

Seriously, imagine how well you'll lift with that major stressor out of your life? 

• Like 5

Good luck tomorrow!!! (I hope, still!)

Yes! Tomorrow :)

They figured it out. I'm going to have to bring the Secretary for the department cookies or something.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have started documenting all my work. Re-organized, back up copies of everything. Detailed research logs. What was your thesis?

I didn't mean your work, I assumed you were doing that lol.

I'm talking about any forms you submit to your department or graduate school. And then forget about. And no one tells you that they have to be updated. That comes back to bite you....

My thesis is on if solar panels can be used to mitigate negative pressure and roof suction on flat roofed low rise buildings. Short answer: yes.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to make some edits of course, but I have yet to hear of a time when the defendee didn't. 

SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to make some edits of course, but I have yet to hear of a time when the defendee didn't. 

SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty much this.  Yay!

Confession:

The most embarrassing mistake I made in my Thesis was putting a book away before realizing I did not put it in the list of references.  Then I went back to the library and grabbed the WRONG edition!  The professor who wrote the book simply said he did not discuss that issue with the co-author.

Ooooops!

But ya.  I had a laundry list of things to fix.  Then show it to the advisor to show that it was done.  Then print it.

I never did publish any papers, but that no longer matters because soon after, I realized I did not have a future in academia and ended up in industry.

• Like 3