• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Alaysia

Alaysia Gets Ready

This challenge fits really nicely into the last weeks before I start a new full-time job. This will be my first full-time job with set hours and weekends off. I kinda feel like a grown-up. It's only a temp job, but it comes right at a chaotic time with the kids out of school and when the SO is busy during a peak time at work. But the job pays more than I've ever gotten, and it is somewhat in the field of what I am going to school for, so it'll help with “transferable skills.” Totally worth it.

But that means I have to be ready. I have certain challenges that MUST be completed before I start. It's do or die be really frustrated and inconvenienced time!

Challenge the FIRST:

I will workout five times a week. 3 of lifting and 2 of cardio. I want to get stronger as well as build some endurance.

Lifting program will be a modified Stage 2 of NroL4W. There is a good-sized learning curve to this stage which will slow a lot of my momentum, I'm afraid, but I still want to increase my strength in each exercise by at least 15lbs.

Cardio will be Zumba Gold. It's a low impact version so I'm hoping it won't interfere with my recovery on those days. I'm also doing Tai Chi just before that class to help with mobility. Sure, I'm exercising with some senior citizens, but it's nice to be one of the strongest people in the room for a change. Shallow? Yes, yes, I am.

Challenge the SECOND:

I will batch cook and freeze at least four dinners a week. My family doesn't understand where food comes from if it doesn't come out of a paper bag. And I don't really cook when tired or distracted. (I envy those people who cook to relax!) Therefore I'll need to prep food ahead of time.

Side challenge is to eat at least 100g of protein a day. With all the exercise I plan on doing, I will not care about calories at this time.

Challenge the THIRD:

Get my continuing education credits out of the way for my tax preparer certification. School starts again this month and I'm afraid I won't have the time to do it later in the year, so best to just knock it out now and if I have time later, try to level up my certification.

Side Quests:

Go to the beach this month

Rearrange the living room (and ok, put away the last of the xmas decorations)

Donate the stuff that has been piled in my garage for months.

Refinish the new-to-us dresser (and also get it out of my garage)

Find an at-home lifting or bodyweight(boo) program I can do at home if I am unable to get to the gym during July.

Zero Week Quest:

Create a points and reward system for this challenge.

My muse for this challenge is Lagertha, a warrior who can weave, cook, and kick ass all while looking like it ain't no thang. May she inspire me to greatness. When in doubt, I shall ask,  WWLD?

b8UKjz6TSDEgU.gif

• Like 5

Lagertha! Inspirational, no doubt!

I'm stoked that I am not the only one with Christmas decorations still out! Truth be told, our tree only got put away about a month ago. :)

Good luck with your busy, busy Challenge.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SevenofSeven said:

Lagertha! Inspirational, no doubt!

I'm stoked that I am not the only one with Christmas decorations still out! Truth be told, our tree only got put away about a month ago. :)

Good luck with your busy, busy Challenge.

I'm not usually so late on the decorations. Typically everything is packed and stored by New Years because I am done. But this year dragged out a bit and I still have some poinsettias and snowmen sitting out. While I'm here sweating under the heat, they're kind of ticking me off, now.

• Like 1

Lagertha! HELL YEAH! She's the reason I occasionally go over board on braids. Here for awesome lifting and cooking and dare I say... the beach? *invites herself along...

XfvCaoM.gif

(I know, I know. I'm a pushy SOB)

• Like 2

No shame in the tai chi class!

I'm not gonna lie, there was a silver sneakers stretch class at my old gym, and I was always kind of jealous of them because it looked like an awesome class to take.

• Like 1

Nice new challenge! (there's still a sparkly gold bow on my front door, but it's my roommate's) I just took the Christmas tree I bought when it was on sale around new years out of my car the other day.

What is it about those decorations? They just... never go away.

NF (not the forums) has some at home bodyweight type workouts that may help. Let me know if you want links.

Were you the one mentioning in my last challenge that you are also familiar with the SCA? I do know some women who can weave, cook, and kick ass like a warrior in real life. So it is totally doable. You can do it!!!

• Like 1

On 6/8/2016 at 8:05 PM, ~RedStone~ said:

Lagertha! HELL YEAH! She's the reason I occasionally go over board on braids. Here for awesome lifting and cooking and dare I say... the beach? *invites herself along...

XfvCaoM.gif

(I know, I know. I'm a pushy SOB)

Ha, ha! You, too? My coworkers teased me for my braids but it didn't matter 'cause I was channeling a bad ass!

Of course you're welcome to come along! Ever been to Venice Beach? Gorgeous sand and water and all the crazy street performers and cute seaside shops. Way better than Santa Monica pier, in my humble opinion. Oh, and Muscle Beach is right next door. It's a surreal experience to go from Rastafarians and sword swallowers to bulked out bros in speedos in a matter of a couple feet.

BVG6vneVMhZYI.gifSY54Zblq5K3iU.gif

California, I love ya. Don't ever change, babe.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2016 at 8:11 PM, Grymm said:

She is invariably badass.

Reveal hidden contents

lagertha_by_cyberaeon-d7ztz8z.jpg

Yes, she is. And that is some gorgeous artwork of her.

On 6/9/2016 at 7:39 AM, miss_marissa said:

No shame in the tai chi class!

I'm not gonna lie, there was a silver sneakers stretch class at my old gym, and I was always kind of jealous of them because it looked like an awesome class to take.

Right? I'm in a retirement city, where it rarely has bad weather and is super cheap (for California), and the amount of programs and such they have for the seniors is just unfair! They get all the cool stuff to do! So, yes, I feel a little odd when they are doing tai chi to address arthritis, but I figure, Ha! I'm a step ahead of the game! I haz smarts and preventionz.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Were you the one mentioning in my last challenge that you are also familiar with the SCA? I do know some women who can weave, cook, and kick ass like a warrior in real life. So it is totally doable. You can do it!!!

Yes, ma'am, I was at least one person who is a little familiar with SCA. I still need to figure out if we have a household I can join and not have to throw my lot in with the, like, only five people I ever want to avoid who all happen to be involved with our local chapter. And I would totally want to learn how to do all those things. The class list you showed of what was going to be available at the 50th bash is so friggin' cool.

So I did some AMRAPs using my starting weights, as per instructions. I'm not really sure what it does, but I did it as I was waiting for my son's teen strength class to end. (You guys! He's starting strength training! He's tall and lanky and prefers running and cycling, but enjoyed the strength class and wants to keep doing it. I am so proud. *tear*)

I did learn that I am way, way better at pull exercises and suck big time on push ones. That might be pretty normal, but it was demonstratively illustrated when I got bored waiting to tire out on wide-grip lat pulldowns, but was barely able to complete 20 reps of db shoulder presses. Deadlift reps were much higher than squats. Again, as a newb, I might be stating the obvious, but it was really eye-opening for me. Shows me what I need to put an emphasis on and what lifts I can and can't skip if I'm crunched for time. 

I half-completed my Zero Week Challenge. I created a points system for my challenge. I was very proud until I realized I forgot the reward bit. What are some rewards you give yourself? I need some inspirations in this area, Definitely nerdy workout shirts will be in the bag, but I'm stumped for anything else. I don't know if that shows how content I am or unimaginative. I have trips planned for New Orleans and Big Sur, CA this year, so maybe I can work with that. Hmm.

And in other news, I was watching a video where I guy fell 66ft, cracking his body all the way down, looking like a rag doll, and doctors said that the alcohol he had consumed relaxed his muscles enough that he escaped more serious injuries. So, clearly, this seems to indicate that doing some shots before lifting may help with DOMS. Or would you drink after a workout to help with that? Drunklifts!

• Like 1

1st day of challenge! Wooooo!

Good start for me today. On Challenge the First, I made a double batch of chili, one batch to eat tonight, one batch to freeze. I also made corn chowder which is freezing in my freezer as we speak. 2/4 meals for the week complete. We went into June Gloom, so the weather went from The Sun to chilly. So cooking those two recipes worked today.

I also will have gotten in at least 119g of protein for the day after dinner.

Challenge the Third: I completed 3 of the 6 hours I need a week to finish my continuing education credits.

Sweet Jeebus was it boring. I like doing taxes, and I was bored to tears. Is it mandatory to make it as dry as possible? Is that part of the challenge in getting your CECs? It's like the creators of the material sit around and are like, "Look, if these sonsofbitches can get through this, in small font, with run-on sentences and random points shoved in together, they will be ready to deal with crazy ass bastards who own rentals and a farm, started their own church, and want to claim all their cousin's step-children as dependents."

On the quest front, I donated the stuff in my garage. I also got the xmas decorations out of my living room, so that quest is in now in full progress.

First day and feeling pretty good.

n61nvqxTAOAus.gif

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Alaysia said:

Challenge the Third: I completed 3 of the 6 hours I need a week to finish my continuing education credits.

Sweet Jeebus was it boring. I like doing taxes, and I was bored to tears. Is it mandatory to make it as dry as possible? Is that part of the challenge in getting your CECs? It's like the creators of the material sit around and are like, "Look, if these sonsofbitches can get through this, in small font, with run-on sentences and random points shoved in together, they will be ready to deal with crazy ass bastards who own rentals and a farm, started their own church, and want to claim all their cousin's step-children as dependents."

Woohoo for getting half of the continuing education done! I know that can be tedious as, well, doing taxes? Haha. Sorry not sorry.

Also, this must be what I'm doing wrong, my taxes aren't complicated enough and I need more cousins. And I only wish I owned a farm. Then will I get a bigger refund?

12 hours ago, Alaysia said:

I like doing taxes, and I was bored to tears.

AWESOME start!!! Doing all the things!! Always nice to start a week off strong :D 

But about this^... ??????? :P 

Me doing taxes:

xwh55uB.gif

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Woohoo for getting half of the continuing education done! I know that can be tedious as, well, doing taxes? Haha. Sorry not sorry.

Also, this must be what I'm doing wrong, my taxes aren't complicated enough and I need more cousins. And I only wish I owned a farm. Then will I get a bigger refund?

I would never say taxes are never tedious, that's for sure. We've had people come into the office with actual shoe boxes full of every receipt for the year. Not even close to fun.

If you ever buy a farm, make sure you budget in a good tax pro, 'cause farms are so full of regulations, credits, depreciation (We can depreciate a damn cow), etc, that you'll wanna just have someone do it all for you and you just come in and sign.

15 hours ago, Thom Ulfhedinn said:

Good start to the challenge

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

AWESOME start!!! Doing all the things!! Always nice to start a week off strong :D 

But about this^... ??????? :P 

Me doing taxes:

xwh55uB.gif

Thank you! And yes! Taxes are exactly like a desk full of kittens! All warm and squishy and fun! :D Although those kittens look pretty irritated to have had their nap interrupted.

• Like 1

Oh, how the gleeful have fallen.

EOHiotyECxaPC.gif

Today I started the next stage in my program and it was just fail city. First I was rushed out the door because I thought my son's fit class was at 1, not 1230 (he asks at 12:24 if we're going. He has no concept of travel time, gah!) I hate being rushed and, of course, forgot my phone. So I was frazzled and not able to chill on the treadmill warm-up with some of my pump-up music. That whole sentence was all about contradictions. I apologize. Anyway, so my first move is the front squat/push press. Fail. First there was a bench in the squat cage that would not roll. I felt like an idiot trying to move it and gave up. Which was for the best because I decided to use the pre-weighted bar, 15lbs, and couldn't do one to save my life. I couldn't figure out how to balance correctly and I kept clothes-lining myself on the bar because my elbows hit my knees every time. And without my phone, I couldn't consult the Great and Wonderful Thrall. I really thought I had this move down, but clearly need some time in front of the mirror with my wooden dowel.

Couldn't do the lunges, shouldn't have done the step-ups but did anyway. No sciatica pain on those, so far. Did some horizontal woodchop things on the cable machine and loved those. But couldn't do planks or pushups because both areas I use were in use. So, fail. I did do some goblet squats with a higher weight, so that's a tiny win. But otherwise, I feel like today would be a waste of protein. Ugh.

Not every day is going to be perfect. You went in there and give it your effort. If you keep doing that, even if some days aren't great, you will make progress. It's the people consistently showing up at the gym who make gains. You don't have to be a superhero. You just have to be you. 

And it takes time to learn new movements. Even elite athletes are constantly honing their skills!

• Like 2

It's all good! You went in and did something. Win right there. The front squat with a push press is hard! A whole lot going on! So don't feel bad, that one takes time. No fail here, just awesome!

• Like 2

Man, thanks, guys! You're right. I need to focus on the positives, no matter how outnumbered (I think) they may be. They are the most important bits. Thank you for reminding of that! In my strop, I forgot that I think I did do a new move right.

0710_aspire_dbrow.jpg

It certainly felt right because I felt worked after it. Yay for that.

• Like 2