• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stepping_out

[] moves and shakes

I was so wrapped up in life stuff that I didn't even realise the old challenge had ended :D

Busy busy so going to keep things simple (and because I tend to fall off the challenge cliff by about week 2!). This is more about doing things I do anyway, but being more consistent about it.

1. Move! We're moving all our stuff to the new place this weekend. White goods come in next week. Do something that'll get us moved out every day. Once we're there: Do something that'll get us moved in every day.

2. Eat! All the veggies. Bringing this one back because it seems to be the only diet-related challenge I'll actually stick with. Veggies with lunch and dinner 6 days out of 7. Bonus points for breakfast. i don't have my weekly deliveries at the moment because we're moving house, but will set that up again once we get a fridge over there.

3. Train!!! This challenge is going to take me almost all the way up to the taper for my July comp, I want to focus on doing all sessions including accessories. 3x per week. It's okay to do accessory stuff separately if I run out of time at the gym.

4. Stretch! I've been doing romwod semi-regularly and really enjoy it, plus I seem to be helping my recovery. Do this 5 days per week.

• Like 6

Calling yesterday a win.

Breakfast was chocolate pancakes (chocolate is cocoa, which is a fruit, which is basically a vegetable). Lunch was a vegan burger, so I'm counting that as 100% vegetable. Dinner: large salad with a small portion of spaghetti carbonara from a tub - added extra bacon myself, though.

Lifting was done, I attempted the romwod but couldn't focus so decided to do the bit of work that was stuck in my head and distracting me.

Today is accessories that I had to skip yesterday because I ran out of time, and my romwod. Then PACKING, we're moving tomorrow, I'm so excited and apprehensive and a little bit sad to be leaving this place - it's been 8 mostly excellent years.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, evabo said:

Breakfast was chocolate pancakes (chocolate is cocoa, which is a fruit, which is basically a vegetable).

This is perfectly logical. I see no flaws here.

• Like 2

Mad weekend of moving. We rented a van that was just HUGE. Normally, we ride motorcycles, I haven't driven a car in months, so it was a BIG change and super scary. I had to do most of the driving because I guess I'm that tiny bit better at hiding my fear??? Anyway, I didn't hit anything, not even the cyclists who insisted on squeezing past me while I was trying to turn (why???????????) UNTIL we got to the recycling centre - this was the second one we went to btw because the van was TOO BIG to access the first one - where they had very narrow lanes to begin with, but for some reason they felt the need to turn them into some sort of obstacle course by putting metal baskets filled with trash on them that you had to go around?????? WHY YOU GOTTA DO ME LIKE THAT!!! Naturally, I scraped the left hand side of the van on one of those, alllllll the way across. So we spent the rest of the weekend worrying what that might cost us, but we did get rid of the truckload of junk the previous owners left behind. This included a metal bin they apparently used for burning trash, that also had a bunch of cat pooh in it, and a filthy BBQ that was leaking a mix of gunk, fat and rain water. Nice. Anyway, super stressful weekend but we got everything done just in time and now have officially moved! First night in the new place, it's very very quiet here because we've moved from Central London into the 'burbs. Will take some getting used to.

I'm in a bit of a funk with lifting. Several reasons. Isn't it supposed to be good for body image??? But sometimes I feel like the weight class business drives people into really odd and unhealthy behaviours. Plus, there is so much negativity. I spent several years being a terrible runner, not because I thought I'd ever win anything (although in running, everyone gets a medal anyway, so maybe that's why I didn't care), but because I enjoy running. And that was accepted, most people would feel the same way and there was rarely any discussion of it. Certainly not anything like "if I'm not going to win the race, there is no point even signing up". But with lifting, oh my. I'm qualified for nationals and I'm bloody well going to go, I don't give a hoot if I win or place or whatever. And sooooooo much negativity!!! I went to the gym and it was deadlift day, so I did some deadlifts at whatever percentage of max it was supposed to be. They felt easy, apparently they looked easy, great, my deadlifts are improving, I'm happy. But the commentary, "putting us all to shame"??? I don't give a hoot what you lift. Is it the right weight for whatever your training session is supposed to achieve that day? Are you putting in an effort? GREAT. I'm going to cheer you on, I'm going to change your plates, I'll spot you, I'll cheer you on, whatever you need. WHY does it matter if someone else lifts a higher weight? I'm not here for you. I'm here for me, I'm here because I want to get better - not better than you, just better. I'm reluctant to even tell people my numbers at this point, or say when I got a PB because apparently, it depresses people. And the joke is, I'm not even a very high level lifter. How are they going to cope with someone like that if they can't even cope with a n00b like me? I'm kind of done making myself smaller just so other people will be comfortable. Not my fault your lifts are stalling, not your fault either I expect - it's just what happens sometimes, it's how the body works, and everybody's body will be different. No doubt I'll hit a plateau soon myself, doesn't bother me massively but now I feel people are going to gloat. So now I'm uncomfortable going to the gym, I'm uncomfortable talking about my lifting and it's sucking the joy out of things. If anyone has any ideas for things I can say or do to make it better for people, that would be much appreciated. Sorry for the rant.

• Like 3

I don't think you should cater those people for even a second.  In fact, you are right to be a little mad, probably madder than you are.  I know a few guys who are fantastically strong and other people celebrate them.  People used to come up to my roommate at a bar and say "hey, I saw you benching at the Y the other day and you're a beast" and buy him a beer.  And sadly, you probably get the opposite treatment because you are a woman, and guys are insecure around a strong woman.  Really, guys are pretty insecure in general (so that makes everyone), but usually can cover it up with just axe body spray and stupid.  In a gym, iron doesn't lie.  So seriously, screw them.  And it it's fellow women lifters giving you crap, it's not any different.  

And if they give you any more crap, go over and take their 20kg plates.  They don't need them.

• Like 6

1) I backed into a tree with the moving truck when I moved into my currently place. Apparently they surround those things with bumpers for a reason... 

2) Was this mostly women or a mix of people? I find that women are the most competitive with other women and can get downright catty and it's ridiculous. We should be empowering each other to lift in a world full of male lifters. Instead it's the same problem as weight loss. Women all want to support each other in weight loss until that one friend starts to lose more than the rest and they are secretly crossing their fingers that she will get fat again. What a bunch of bullshit! We should all be excited for each other to see what our bodies are capable of. I for one am excited for you (and all the multitude of women who lift 10x as much as I do).

You should beast out as much as you want to beast out. Those people are probably not going to be in your life forever, but you are going to have your body for all your life and you might as well achieve your goals and push yourself beyond your wildest dreams. 

tumblr_njjh5tnH3I1siq8rfo2_400.gif

• Like 5

Not to make light of your situation, but my first instinct to say to you was, tell "them" to fuck off. Don't be embarrassed by what you achieve! Too many people are crushed by the insecurities of others. Be proud of you! You are working hard to get to your goals, no one has the right to tell you that you are not good enough. 

Nationals! Fuck yeah! You are going to be awesome! :)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SevenofSeven said:

Not to make light of your situation, but my first instinct to say to you was, tell "them" to fuck off. Don't be embarrassed by what you achieve! Too many people are crushed by the insecurities of others.

I know you're right, and I'd tell other people exactly the same thing, but then I'm thinking "but then I won't have many friends at the gym". It's like high school all over again, and I wasn't very good at it the first time around.

• Like 2

I think part of the problem is that it is such a small sport.

Any weekend you can find a race of some sort, 5k, marathon, OCR etc where people do it just for fun and don't really care. For powerlifting/weightlifting it is a lot smaller community and competitions are a lot harder to come by so I think there is more pressure to perform and do your best because you're not sure when the next one will be. Or pressure to be competitive because you only have 1-2 competitors, not hundreds.

If there was powerlifting competitions every weekend I think it would be a lot different.

my 2 cents.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, evabo said:

I know you're right, and I'd tell other people exactly the same thing, but then I'm thinking "but then I won't have many friends at the gym". It's like high school all over again, and I wasn't very good at it the first time around.

I completely understand.  Sucks.  You are amazing and your hard work and consistency is paying off.   Don't let the b*stards drag you down.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I think part of the problem is that it is such a small sport.

Any weekend you can find a race of some sort, 5k, marathon, OCR etc where people do it just for fun and don't really care. For powerlifting/weightlifting it is a lot smaller community and competitions are a lot harder to come by so I think there is more pressure to perform and do your best because you're not sure when the next one will be. Or pressure to be competitive because you only have 1-2 competitors, not hundreds.

If there was powerlifting competitions every weekend I think it would be a lot different.

my 2 cents.

It would be great to have more competitions. I think even with few competitions, the sport needs to act like the sport it wants to be, if that makes sense. If we close down access to meets and discourage people who maybe don't lift a lot (yet?), the sport won't grow and there won't be more meets. But it's tricky right now, totally agree.

• Like 3

Update of sorts, I guess it has been a week. I usually have a great zero week and then it all goes down the drain. Not this time, so maybe things are on the up??

Training: Done! Although I wasn't able to squeeze my deadlift session into the weekend of moving. I did it yesterday, at the gym across the road from the new place (did I mention this is about 75% of the reason I wanted to buy it...). The equipment there is fine, they even have a deadlift platform. BUT the bars are no-name, not even sure they're 20kgs (felt really light, but maybe I was just having a strong day!), and the plates, ohhh, the plates. They are these weird bumper things with holes in them. Makes them easier to carry, but they just feel very odd. And they have a bunch of different sets all mixed together, so plates of the same weight may be a different colour or even size! And they are mixing kg plates and lbs plates! Ahhhh, OCD in overdrive. It'll do, though.

Veggies: Have been eating them consistently, but over the weekend, my meals were very irregular. Still putting it into the win column.

House: Moved most things, only a few bits and bobs left. Got the internet in today, white goods coming this weekend. That's when I'll go on a meat shopping spree - massive fridge in my future!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, evabo said:

It would be great to have more competitions. I think even with few competitions, the sport needs to act like the sport it wants to be, if that makes sense. If we close down access to meets and discourage people who maybe don't lift a lot (yet?), the sport won't grow and there won't be more meets. But it's tricky right now, totally agree.

Move to Scotland. Seven meets over eight days this year and counting...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, evabo said:

They are these weird bumper things with holes in them. Makes them easier to carry, but they just feel very odd.

Round or hexagonal? My previous gym had hexagonal plates, I had to walk to the bar between reps.

44 minutes ago, evabo said:

House: Moved most things, only a few bits and bobs left.

Doh! I misread that at first...

• Like 3