• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stepping_out

[] moves and shakes

Tried another new gym yesterday. This one's an athletics centre but they have a great strength training section. Mostly geared towards Oly, but perfectly doable for PL. There's chalk, and I was explicitly told that it was okay to drop the bar. Not that powerlifters do! All the racks with safety bars were taken, so I squatted on one of those free standing ones (I'm sure they have a proper name...) and had to ask for a spot for my top sets. 3 of 120x4, accidental sleeveless PB because I forgot to bring them. It was nice, people were very supportive and cheered me on. Went to the loo before the last set and I guess I didn't pull my leggings up over my bum properly or something (they're also a few years old), and could hear some of the thread break at the bottom of the squat! The horror! Nothing too obvious ripped, but these are going in the bin!

• Like 4

I am the destroyer of pants.  I have split them at work, doing yard work, walking around the house.  I have split them trying to put them on.  I have ripped them severely playing flag football (and played the rest of the game with them duct taped together).  I think the only time I did any real damage at the gym, I caught the pocket on a peg or rack and ripped the pocket a few inches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grymm said:

I am the destroyer of pants.  I have split them at work, doing yard work, walking around the house.  I have split them trying to put them on.  I have ripped them severely playing flag football (and played the rest of the game with them duct taped together).  I think the only time I did any real damage at the gym, I caught the pocket on a peg or rack and ripped the pocket a few inches. 

In my head, that was quite dramatic, a la Oppenheimer:

"I am become Grymm, The Destroyer of Pants"

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

In my head, that was quite dramatic, a la Oppenheimer:

"I am become Grymm, The Destroyer of Pants"

I'm ok with this.  I tend to break a lot of things.  Did you know that those canvas on frame camping chairs are usually rated for 225 lbs?  I do. 

• Like 4

Went to the bro gym with the weird plates today, just some light squats and bench on the menu. I was supersetting my bench with seated good mornings so using two benches. Dude kind of annoys me by trying to be helpful and changing my plates for me on one side. I kinda just like to be left alone, unless I want a spotter, then I want people to be at the ready! Is that REALLY too much to ask??? Anyway, as I'm good-morninging, he starts talking to me and asks me what I'm training for, and was I doing Crossfit. Yeah, because bench press is such a core Crossfit move. Bit of back and forth then he says maybe we'll do a workout together some day and walks away. Not sure what to make of this but I think he was trying to be nice??? In a bit of a weird mood lately because of everything that's going on with the world, the country and in my personal life, so if he was, I may not be able to notice right now.

• Like 3

He was probably trying to be nice. But if you'd rather be left alone it could have the exact opposite effect.

Once I got asked if I was doing Crossfit while I was doing deadlifts...

which even though it makes more sense, I'm still not sure if that guy was insinuating something specific.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

He was probably trying to be nice. But if you'd rather be left alone it could have the exact opposite effect.

Once I got asked if I was doing Crossfit while I was doing deadlifts...

which even though it makes more sense, I'm still not sure if that guy was insinuating something specific.

I'm wondering if people think it's a compliment ;-)  Not to say Crossfit isn't great, no idea, but I can't get the guy from the "Do you even lift" video out of my head!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, evabo said:

I'm wondering if people think it's a compliment ;-)  Not to say Crossfit isn't great, no idea, but I can't get the guy from the "Do you even lift" video out of my head!

That guy?

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

I'm a little late on this, but if it were me with the issues of the competitive ladies, I would wear a shirt that says something like, "I'm not competing with you..." on the front. And on the back, "I'm competing with me." But then, I didn't do too well in high school either, so non-confrontational would be my way to do it.

Congrats on the move. I remember when I moved from the smaller town (meth village in the middle of the desert, really) into a neighborhood in "the city" and the sound of sirens and such was so weird. And the loss of the stars still makes me sad. So I am wishing you more stars in your new home and the quiet to enjoy them properly. :D

• Like 2

Being a relative newb myself I get the sense that people don't understand bodybuilding vs powerlifting vs weightlifting and if you are doing something other than cardio 'n' curls you must be doing crossfit?

I got asked in conversation at a work meeting if I am doing crossfit and all I said was that I had been doing strength training.

• Like 3

There are gyms where you can be kicked out for mentioning the C word. ;) 

Not really, but it's a pretty dirty word for some people in my gym. Mostly because there were some assholeish visiting Crossfitters on various occasions who damaged equipment. 

Some of the juiced-up recreational bodybuilders also have a bad rep for the same reason.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2016 at 8:35 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Being a relative newb myself I get the sense that people don't understand bodybuilding vs powerlifting vs weightlifting and if you are doing something other than cardio 'n' curls you must be doing crossfit?

I forgot to say that the guy seemed to be a PT at that gym, he was doing some sort of involved training session with a guy where he had shackles around his ankles that were connected to a cable machine.

1 minute ago, evabo said:

... he had shackles around his ankles that were connected to a cable machine.

Or they are both into public scenes. ;)

xTiTnHvXHHxOTcdmxO.gif

• Like 3

Back to my usual gym which is nice. No weird Crossfit advice!

Saturday was deadlifts and I've forgotten how to do them. Was lifting like a wet noodle! Soft knees, shoulders forward, hitching... Quite bad really, not sure what happened. Good news is that the weight still went up alright, 3 doubles @140. And I felt okay the day after. Guess they're easier when you don't lock them out!

Today: Squats, really fun session. Did doubles at 130, 135, 140, 145. Very pleased with this as I think I could have hit 150 (my current gym 1RM) with a fair bit of fatigues. Plus, nobody complained about depth. Squats are literally my only decent lift at the moment.

Food: We have our new fridge freezer!!! Finally enough space so will need to re-instate my vegetable deliveries. Nutrition has been a bit hit and miss lately (in part because we ran out of gas, it's prepaid here at the moment - never had to deal with that before) and I think it's starting to affect my recovery.

House things: Getting lots of little bits and pieces done, really happy with the way it's coming together.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, evabo said:

Back to my usual gym which is nice. No weird Crossfit advice!

Saturday was deadlifts and I've forgotten how to do them. Was lifting like a wet noodle! Soft knees, shoulders forward, hitching... Quite bad really, not sure what happened. Good news is that the weight still went up alright, 3 doubles @140. And I felt okay the day after. Guess they're easier when you don't lock them out!

Today: Squats, really fun session. Did doubles at 130, 135, 140, 145. Very pleased with this as I think I could have hit 150 (my current gym 1RM) with a fair bit of fatigues. Plus, nobody complained about depth. Squats are literally my only decent lift at the moment.

Food: We have our new fridge freezer!!! Finally enough space so will need to re-instate my vegetable deliveries. Nutrition has been a bit hit and miss lately (in part because we ran out of gas, it's prepaid here at the moment - never had to deal with that before) and I think it's starting to affect my recovery.

House things: Getting lots of little bits and pieces done, really happy with the way it's coming together.

So much adulting!  Nice.  :-)  Setting up a new house can be fun. 

And your squats are fabulous - sounds like your 1RM may be higher than you are claiming! ;-) 

• Like 1

On 21/06/2016 at 8:15 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

So much adulting!  Nice.  :-)  Setting up a new house can be fun. 

And your squats are fabulous - sounds like your 1RM may be higher than you are claiming! ;-) 

It is all very adult-like! Well, unless you saw us doing our little silly dance in the kitchen when we finally got the fridge to make ice cubes ;-)

Missed a training session this week because I had a super draining day at work on Thursday, and yesterday I wasn't up for leaving the house due to... political reasons. Let's just say we watched GoT to cheer ourselves up :-(  On the plus side I got the kitchen sorted to the point where I can cook (simple) meals and got some vegetables in so salads are go!

Off to the gym in a bit for deadlifts and to watch the 84/84+ ladies lift in Killeen. Very excited about the Worlds, amazing lifting and good vibes. Can't wait now for my next comp, and for the British in a few months.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, evabo said:

It is all very adult-like! Well, unless you saw us doing our little silly dance in the kitchen when we finally got the fridge to make ice cubes ;-)

I'd be doing a lot of dancing if my fridge made ice cubes.

Missed a training session this week because I had a super draining day at work on Thursday, and yesterday I wasn't up for leaving the house due to... political reasons. Let's just say we watched GoT to cheer ourselves up :-(  On the plus side I got the kitchen sorted to the point where I can cook (simple) meals and got some vegetables in so salads are go!

Sorry about the news. Everytime I move I find it a relief to have the kitchen sorted! :)

Off to the gym in a bit for deadlifts and to watch the 84/84+ ladies lift in Killeen. Very excited about the Worlds, amazing lifting and good vibes. Can't wait now for my next comp, and for the British in a few months.

When's your next comp? 

Just because it was yummy, post-lifting lunch:

ASZflU4m.jpg

Scottish fillet of beef with veggies. I didn't get to eat all of this because my partner smelled it and I very kindly made him a steak sandwich. Sharing is caring.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, evabo said:

ASZflU4m.jpg

Scottish fillet of beef with veggies. I didn't get to eat all of this because my partner smelled it and I very kindly made him a steak sandwich. Sharing is caring.

giphy.gif

Be glad I smelled it too late. I bet I would´ve taken a deep breath and inhale it. So delicious!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, evabo said:

July 16! Exciting times, I hope my mental game is on point on the day.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, evabo said:

ASZflU4m.jpg

That looks delicious!

• Like 1

Remember when I said squats were my only decent lift right now? Well, seems I've forgotten how to squat! Something about my timing going into the hole, it's just off and then it's hard getting out, plus I'm falling forward. Last week, I did this weight for a double without too much trouble. This week, I'm trying not to decapitate myself on a single! The good news, kind of, is that I can do stuff with a pause at the bottom that's actually quite close to my max (because I literally had to). So there's that. Still, fun training session and it's so nice having people willing to spot - think that alone will help my progress. Next week we're apparently going even heavier, then openers on the Saturday and a taper for competition. Excited!!!

Edit to say this is the first time I've successfully added an instagram post, I think! (I looked up the FAQ.) #winning

• Like 2