Kucki's first Challenge

Kucki68

I only joined the Academy this week and am still trying to find my way around, but will participate in the 4 week challenge

Nutrition:

- cook one new recipe per week

- eat fruit instead of sweets in the afternoon at work

Fitness:

- run twice a week

- go to the gym twice a week

Life:

- 5 minutes (at least) on Memrise for Italian each day

- read 2 books from the stacks (eg have to be in the house already on the 12th)

Bonus: explore a new path with MyGuy

• Like 2

Hope you enjoy the Academy!!!  I am now really intrigued by the Boss Fights in the strength training quests.  

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

That looks like a really solid plan. No fuss nor frills, just a real stuffs. All the best for the challenges. How I wish the currency is merciful haha. Enjoy your journey in the academy !

[ Rzqnzhf ][ Half-Elves ][ Level - 1 ]

[ STR - 3 ] [ DEX - 1 ] [ STA - 1 ] [ CON - 2 ] [ WIS - 1 ] [ CHA - 0 ]

Setting Up the First Player

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world"

11 hours ago, Kucki68 said:

I am having a terrible time with the Academy challenge for food logging

I hear you. I am a reluctant and resentful food logger. I even resorted to a small pocket-sized notebook for a while as the apps were frustrating me and I kept rage-quitting them. If you feel like giving another app a go, I just recently discovered FatSecret and have had good luck with it so far.

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

10 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

I just recently discovered FatSecret and have had good luck with it so far.

Thanks Badger, I will check it out, when I am ready to try an app again. For the moment I decided to shelf this. I am trying to lose weight, but so far I am going the right direction, so I figure it is not an urgent issue for me right now.

I find My Fitness Pal helpful, but everyone has to find what works best for them. Come to think of it, I hated tracking my food at the beginning. I actually just tried portion control comparing my plate to the USDA Food Plate online! Imprecise as heck, but then again I lost 30 lbs. doing it!

Glad to read that you're happy with your results, tracker or not!

• Like 1

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

It sounds like you are doing well with your challenge! I have been trying new recipes lately (not as a challenge, just because I like cooking) and once I find one that looks good, I make sure to add any ingredients I need to my shopping list so I'll be sure to have everything when I'm ready to cook! You can do it!

• Like 1

The cake is a lie.

13 hours ago, M_J said:

This means talking and emailing with a native speaker at work, because Duolingo didn't work for me.

That is a great way to learn. Do you know of Benny Lewis? He suggests exactly this approach. My boss is Italian, so I will eventually start doing that, but I need a bit more vocabulary than Hi and Bye. At least I can already say I am hungry when we go for lunch. :encouragement:

14 hours ago, Oshika789 said:

I have been trying new recipes lately (not as a challenge, just because I like cooking)

I often buy the veggies at a farmer's road stand so what ever they have and then go shopping for additional stuff once I decide what I will make. I want to make a cauliflower-chick pea curry either tonight or tomorrow and then the other half of the cauliflower will likely be baked in the oven with potatoes and gorgonzola. However neither of those is actually new to us, we cook most evenings, so have a bunch of seasonal recipes that we cycle through.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Kucki68 said:

That is a great way to learn. Do you know of Benny Lewis? He suggests exactly this approach. My boss is Italian, so I will eventually start doing that, but I need a bit more vocabulary than Hi and Bye. At least I can already say I am hungry when we go for lunch. :encouragement:

I have heard of him, but wasn't in the mindset to pay attention. Looked him up again, along with similar people who advocate the conversational "get the message across, figure out conjugation later" approach. 

This is exactly what I need. When the student is ready, the teacher appears... The main reason Duolingo was a bust is that I couldn't progress to useful phrases unless I knew the proper gender of nouns and other nitpickings. People may laugh, but they will understand if I say la gato!

Tengo hambre. That I remember from school. What can I say, the message spoke to me.

• Like 1

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

13 hours ago, M_J said:

Tengo hambre. That I remember from school. What can I say, the message spoke to me.

Yeah, I can remember that and thirsty too. It helps that I already learned French in school (not that I remember much, but Latin languages have some similarities). I always have trouble with the sun and the moon as well as with the cat because in German the cat and the sun are female while the moon is male, switheroo for Italian.