Spice overload - food extraodinaire

Let me begin by saying that being a vegetarian your options are limited (I think so) and it all seems bland, but there is something about Indian cuisine that makes me feel that even vegetables have an eloquent flavor given the right treatment. Initially, I had my reservations regarding my tolerance for spices but I visited this place (Indian Kitchen) in Riverside, CA that changed my perception.

I was amazed by the exhaustive vegetarian options, and each one with a different distinctive flavor. Same set of spices used in different proportion can culminate into amazing dishes. It would be an injustice to Indian food by saying its a haven for vegetarians since it equally accommodates non-vegetarians too with their wide assortments.

I got to know this later on,that technically what we call Indian food could also mean food originating from Indian subcontinent( Pakistan, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka). Since the Indian subcontinent shares a common cultural dating back to more than 3000 years. However, many Non-vegetarian recipes have evolved when Mughal cuisine intermingled with traditional Indian cuisine.

So all the spice lovers gather around and share your experiences and recipes that you love. 

I. LOVE. CURRY.

You can throw literally anything in there (aka leftovers from the fridge) I generally just get a bunch of veg that's cheapest at the moment and some protein like tofu or lentils or something and stir fry all that and then throw in some coconut milk and a bunch of spices and BAM curry. Make a big batch and eat it for a week over some yummy brown rice.

Liveforwonder's Quest Log

1 2

Walking to Mordor - Hobbiton to Rivendell: 97.1 miles out of 458

In the UK we have Indian takeaways everywhere! Unfortunately most of them churn out slop that bears absolutely no relation to any dish invented or eaten in India (or anywhere else in the Indian subcontinent). **Real** Indian food is wonderful though, and they are so inventive with their flavours. Learning how to combine your spices is key to making really good Indian food.

I'm hoping people will post some good recipes because I have bugger all. :D  I do have some good recipes which use spices which I will share. **runs off to find recipe book** :onthego: 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Mango Curry

ingredients:

1tsp coconut or grapeseed oil

1/2 onion, chopped

1.5 cups green beans cut into 1" pieces

1 med zucchini, cut into 1/8" half circles

1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped 

3 cloves garli, minced

1.5 tablespoon ginger, minced

2 tablespoon red curry paste

1 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari)

1.5 cups coconut milk

1 cup veg broth

1 mango, cut into chunks

Dry-fried tofu (or add meat)

2 tablespoon lime juice

Brown rice to serve

Heat the oil in a medium soup pot over a medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 mins until light golden.

Add green beans, zucchini and peppers and cook until veg starts to soften (about 2-3 mins)

Add garlic, ginger and curry paste, cook for 30s then add coconut milk, soy sauce and broth.

Bring to a gentle simmer. 

Once simmering add mango and tofu. Reduce heat to low and cook until the mango is tender enough to fall apart (5-8 mins.)

Turn heat off, add lime juice then serve over brown rice. 

Enjoy! :D

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Has anyone here heard of The Spicery? I'm not sure if it's just a UK thing or what, but basically they put together recipes from all over the world, you subscribe and pick the recipes you want, they deliver the recipe cards and all the spices to you. They have some AMAZING recipes too. It's well worth checking out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Has anyone here heard of The Spicery? I'm not sure if it's just a UK thing or what, but basically they put together recipes from all over the world, you subscribe and pick the recipes you want, they deliver the recipe cards and all the spices to you. They have some AMAZING recipes too. It's well worth checking out. 

So fun! I need something like this!

I've been on a - eating the bulkcook body builder glue food - kick lately and really need to get my flavor back on! We have a bulk spice shop in town that has all sorts of exotic stuff, just need a good source of recipes. Will be keeping an eye on this thread...