Ladylydia Finds Her Stride

ladylydia

I got a gym membership last month.   It has helped so much.  I just don't have enough time or energy after my commute to workout at home.  Having the gym close to work available, has made doing a workout considerably easier.  Though my schedule hasn't become routine yet, I can already feel my strength starting to come back.  I met with two trainers, who have told me slightly conflicting information; that's ok, I know enough on my own to be discerning.  First trainer tried to change my old lifting plan, I followed 5/3/1; Second trainer said that First trainer wasn't a power lifter and what i had been doing was fine. First trainer really tried to push paying for the PT sessions; while Second trainer said my form and info were good, and he wasn't sure why I was meeting with him.  He did recommend to change it up the program bit after a year or so; because even with a weight progression, my body will start getting used to it, making it less effective. I can worry about that later.  Second trainer said i could still do RDLs and I didn't have to stop at any particular weight as long as I kept good form; but echoed First trainer to use RDLs as a supplement, as conventional DLs will allow me to lift more.  Second trainer also gave me a better warm up routine than doing HIIT before lifting, reaffirming Info i received from Kishi.  The only thing I didn't agree with from Second trainer was to do all legs on one day and all arms on another.  Past experience has taught me that I can't really move the next day when I train like that. As a martial artist, I cannot be chronically sore and immobile like that, combative situations have a tendency to be sudden and unpredictable.  First trainer said that breaking up my lifts to one leg and one arm every day was fine, but to stop training squats and OHP together so as not to stress out my back. That one makes sense too i guess.   

That's enough rambling, here's the new  plan: (i still am unsure if i will do my weeks as: weights, cardio, break, cardio, weights, jujitsu; or: weights, cardio, break, weights, cardio, jujitsu; or  cardio, weights, break , cardio, weights, jujitsu.  I typically prefer to end my weeks with weights, which would have me leaning towards plan one and three; however, it might be good to heal up a bit before jujitsu, which has me considering plan two.)  

Goal 1: Power Lifting-- 2x a week

I have started power lifting again. It is the best form of therapy. Day 1 will be DL and OHP; Day 2 will be squats, RDLs and bench. i'm going to stick with 5/3/1 for a while  and see how my progression goes.

Goal 2: HIIT cardio--2x a week

12-15 min. of HiIT, whether it be on the machines or through a body weight circuit;  i would rather keep it short and efficient right now.  This will be followed by 4 min. of core work.

Goal 3: Water -- 7 glasses a day

It's summer, and it's hot, I need more to drink.  So it's time to up the goal.

Goal 4. Carbs-- 5 or less a day

This is still a bit hard to control until i move into my own place, but I'm going to give it another go because i do the best when my carbs are low.

Side quest: get seven hours of sleep a night

This  is a side quest because I won't feel guilty if it doesn't happen, I really need to move before this is particularly likely. But it won't hurt to try.

***Life quest:  Find a place to live 

i have enough saved up to get my own place now, with any luck i can find one and move by the beginning of July.

• Like 2

Level 17 Ranger Monk 

Str- 10, Dex-8, Sta-7, Con-11, Wis-68, Cha-43

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Challenge

Battlelog 

New schedule,  *note: some days may be interchangeable

Sunday:                   Monday:                  Tuesday:                   Wed;                     Thursday;                 Friday                      Saturday:

:       Walk                       DL & OHP                 Cardio                   Break  day                 Cardio             Squats, RDLs & Bench       Jujitsu    

Week 1:      No                             No                          Dead lifts                    Break                   BW circuit                  No                               No

Water: 3/7;     Carbs:4/7 ;    Sleep 3/7

Weeks 2:    No                           No                           DL &OHP                     Break                 No                     Squats and bench               Yes

Water:1/7,     Carbs:2/7,    Sleep 1/7

Week 3:   No                              No                              No                           Break                    No                           No                                  No

Water 3/7,     Carbs:4/7,    Sleep 2/7

Week 4:      Yes                      No                            DL& OHP                   Break                    No 

Water: 2/7, Carbs-4/7,      Sleep 1/7

Level 17 Ranger Monk 

Current Challenge

Battlelog 

Hold placer.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Really glad you met with Trainer #2! What you said about Trainer #1 didn't sound right to me...sounded like he was trying to fit you into some kind of mold that didn't necessarily match your goals. Your first post above makes a lot of sense based on everything you have written.

Hope you are able to find a place soon. Things are really coming together nicely for you. It seems like a pretty exciting time.

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Just saw your updates, I think Trainer #2 is the superior option.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I honestly don't remember for what that third place holder was supposed to be.  

Didn't workout yesterday, i got out of work late and then looked at houses.   I wasn't feeling well anyway.

Left work late again today but was really determined to get in my workout.  I probably should have stuck with body weight and done a deload week though.  I was not feeling right and I think I did myself a disservice by trying to power-lift today.

I'm on my period. I always seem to be 25%  weaker then normal during this time of the month; probably due to the anemia and dehydration.  And none of it is helped by cramping. I have always made this week a deload week before, since I'm less strong anyway. But i let  my ego lead my workout plan.  I just didn't want to do a deload so early into working out again, but I realize now that I will have to for the rest of the week and try again next week.  I felt really sick leaving the gym today. Lesson learned

I only made it through half of my deadlifts and didn't even attempt OHP.  Then I saw how late it was and just gave up.  I'll have to try again another time.  

Level 17 Ranger Monk 

Current Challenge

Battlelog 

Sorry you had a rough day at the gym. 

I feel you on not being 100% in on those lifts.  Your cycle affecting your lifts is a real legitimate thing.  Like professional power lifters will tell you this. You did a great job doing what you could, and stopping when you knew you had to.  Hope you're feeling better today!

Bodies are weird like that. And I get not listening to your instincts and wanting to progress and push through. Sometimes it's right and sometimes it's not. You being on your cycle totally should affect the amount of strength that you display, and it makes sense that you wouldn't display it all.

So. Lesson learned. Rest up and recover well.

Did a body weight circuit yesterday for cardio and endurance. 

15 min. 

30 sliding side lunges R

30 sliding side lunges L

10 pushups

30 Russian twists

completed two rounds

Somehting must be getting better, last time i did this workout (6 months ago) i could only manage 1 1/2 rounds. 

• Like 1

Level 17 Ranger Monk 

Current Challenge

Battlelog 

Nice. Someone I've studied once said that lifting weights was the most anaerobic thing you could do. A circuit done like this with this intensity in this amount of time certainly looks like it's shooting for the same effect. I guess this is a case of carryover for you, then, which is awesome. :D

My knee has been cramping really bad the past couple of days.  I kept trying to stretch it out but by yesterday i was limping pretty badly, so i decided to skip the workout. Lo and behold, it turned out I was really dehydrated.  This is a new reaction to dehydration for me, usually my knees will ache if i get to dehydrated, but i've never had just one cramp up so severely.  I've been downing water like crazy all day and it's gotten much better; i'll try to lift later this evening. 

• Like 2

Level 17 Ranger Monk 

Current Challenge

Battlelog 

Well, didn't finish my whole workout. Though i had three bottles during my workout, I eventually got dizzy and nauseous and had to stop. To top it all off, I found out after I left the gym that my air conditioning at home had quit. So it was a warm night. Hopefully it will get fixed today. 

Did 7 min. of light intervals on the elliptical as a warm up.

The squat rack and power rack were taken, so I had to make due with the dumbbells in the Bro Zone. Started a bit lighter since I wouldn't be able to go to five pound intervals if i needed.  Alternated between standard and Romanian dead lifts whenever my knee started cramping. In between sets  of dead lifts I went to the decline sit up chair, mostly to see if i could crack my spine by being inverted; but while I was there I cranked out reps...because convenience.  At one point I could see some guys watching me through the mirrors and over heard them say "what does she think she's doing?" After my year of bar prep, I'm clearly out of shape and the decline chair was set a little high for me; so the process of getting properly positioned was less than graceful.  However, after I got in the chair, I cranked out perfect reps.  Then I heard, "What? How'd she do that?"  Take that Bro Zone.

Dead lifts: (Mixed:Standard and RDLs)

3x5 -100lbs

3x5 -110lbs

3x5-120 lbs. 

OHP:

3x5-40 lbs

3x5-50 lbs. 

40 decline sit ups. 

Light, quick stretching.  

• Like 3

Level 17 Ranger Monk 

Current Challenge

Battlelog 

Bro's are no match for Rebels. While they are busy curling in the squat rack we are busy teaching our bodies to do stuff.

• Like 2

Skipped yesterday to have my car worked on.  Weight day today.

7 min. interval cardio to warm up.

squats:

3x5-70lbs

3x5-80 lbs

3x5-90lbs

50 inverted sit ups

bench press:

3x5-70 lbs

3x5-80lbs

3x5 90lbs

10 hanging knee tucks

short yoga.