• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Wolverine

The One in Which Wolverine Gets His Shit Together

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Saphros said:

Just checking in to see how things are going. Keep pressing forward. You've got this. We are behind you all the way

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

 

Thanks for checking in, Saphros.  Means a lot!

 

A brief update... SM is home and on hospice.  My wife and I have been switching off spending nights over there so that Dad isn't on care duty by himself all night.  Everyone is pretty exhausted.

 

I did manage to get in one workout, and, while I've been eating like crap, I've at least been tracking said crap.  A tough start to the challenge, but I'm hoping (for everyone involved) that it won't be that way for too much longer.  We shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2016 at 10:39 AM, Wolverine said:

Not yet working on Goal 2 or 3 (saving that for week 1 because, well, I'm wallowing and I'm just gonna be okay with that until Monday), but getting a head start on Goal 1. Many interesting threads this challenge. I'm looking forward to following along!

 

Last night my wife went to visit SM (step-mom) in the hospital. She came home and broke down. It's very frustrating not being able to do anything other than offer a shoulder. I want to fix things, but this is a thing that can't be fixed.

 

SM's day is packed with visitors who sit at her bedside and sometimes talk and sometimes hold her hand. I don't know where I fit in all of this. She's got kids of her own and I'm a "late in life acquisition". I want to see her, talk to her, hold her hand, but I don't want to prevent any of her "real" family from doing the same. My wife is better at this than I am.

Giving your wife a shoulder to cry on is a huge help. But, yeah, it is hard. And with it being so sudden that makes it even harder. 

Others have said it, but I agree, if you want to visit her, you should. You don't have to say a lot just be with her and hold her hand. Her other family can still visit too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rooting for you dude. Don't beat yourself up if working out is too much with being exhausted from staying up every other night. If you get through this with a semblance of a diet intact, you're basically a superhero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're supporting your family through one of the hardest things you can go through. If the rest has to take a back seat for a while so you can put yourself into that, then so be it. We're all rooting for you no matter what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Giving your wife a shoulder to cry on is a huge help. But, yeah, it is hard. And with it being so sudden that makes it even harder. 

Others have said it, but I agree, if you want to visit her, you should. You don't have to say a lot just be with her and hold her hand. Her other family can still visit too.

 

Thanks, EG.

 

20 hours ago, Laghail said:

Rooting for you dude. Don't beat yourself up if working out is too much with being exhausted from staying up every other night. If you get through this with a semblance of a diet intact, you're basically a superhero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Ha!  So far... superhero-ness has not been achieved. I'm working on it. :)

 

18 hours ago, obax said:

You're supporting your family through one of the hardest things you can go through. If the rest has to take a back seat for a while so you can put yourself into that, then so be it. We're all rooting for you no matter what.

 

Thanks, O. Means a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting pretty sick of the depressing challenge updates, but... that's kind of life right now!

 

Wife is off to SM's after dinner so I'll have some time to myself this evening after I put the genetic experiment down for the night.  I am hereby announcing that I will be working out and getting some iron therapy in tonight.  Will post workout tomorrow for accountability.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Wolverine said:

I'll have some time to myself this evening after I put the genetic experiment down for the night.  

^^^^

I LOL'd at this! 

 

Enjoy your iron therapy, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2016 at 4:05 PM, SevenofSeven said:

^^^^

I LOL'd at this! 

 

Enjoy your iron therapy, 

 

Glad I could make you smile. ;)

 

On 6/17/2016 at 10:29 AM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Checking in on you...hope the iron therapy was helpful...

 

It was, thanks. I'm hoping to prioritize it better this week and get more in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WEEK 1 (LACK OF) PROGRESS

 

Mind

  1. Post in challenge thread: 5 of 5
  2. Follow at least 5 others and stay active in their threads: 5 of 5

Mouth

  1. Track all food every day: 3 of 7
  2. Eat at least 135 g of protein: 1 of 7

Muscles

  1. Training: 2 of 5
  2. Stick with program: 0

Notes

 

Well, I think I underestimated how all-encompassing the death process would be. I hope that doesn't sound callous; it's not meant to.  I was single parenting for half the week and caregiving the other half. All meals were provided by others or grabbed on my way to something else.  Just about nothing was tracked, protein was almost non-existent, beer was a main player, and no training was done according to plan.  The only goal I did successfully complete during week 1 was my community one.  At least I have that!

 

Going to focus on getting my training in this week. I know that if I can manage that then some of the other stuff will fall into place. For now, I'm not going to worry about the food stuff (as so much of it is outside of my control at this point) and try and not feel guilty about it.

 

Dealt with some financial end-of-life stuff. Teared up over my checkbook. For whatever reason, the business side of things made it all feel real. Grief is strange.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going through the death of a loved one is exhausting, mentally and physically, and that doesn't sound callous, it just sounds like reality.

 

Good on you for pulling the positive of your community goal out of all of it, it's the little things that get you through and set you up for forward motion when you're able to shift your focus. Not worrying about the food stuff and just focusing on one goal at a time seems like a wise choice, considering everything else that's going on.

 

Still sending good vibes your way! Just keep doing what you can, and you'll get through it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Wolverine said:

 

Going to focus on getting my training in this week. I know that if I can manage that then some of the other stuff will fall into place. For now, I'm not going to worry about the food stuff (as so much of it is outside of my control at this point) and try and not feel guilty about it.

Grief is strange.

Good idea to focus on a bit at a time. 

 

Grief is strange.  I swung wildly between extremes.  Being kind to yourself is likely to help more than anything - whatever that means to you.  It might mean allowing yourself iron therapy, it might mean refusing to feel guilty over a food choice.  It might mean cuddling with a loved one. 

 

Despite your situation, you are doing quite well on your challenge - bravo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Friday night / Saturday morning, SM lost her battle with cancer.  32 days from diagnosis to death. Crazy.  I miss her terribly but am very thankful that it's over.  It's a weird feeling.

 

Thanks for all the support!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WEEK 2 (LACK OF) PROGRESS

 

Mind

  1. Post in challenge thread: 1 of 5
  2. Follow at least 5 others and stay active in their threads: 1 of 5

Mouth

  1. Track all food every day: 0 of 7
  2. Eat at least 135 g of protein: 0 of 7

Muscles

  1. Training: 1 of 5
  2. Stick with program: 0

Notes

 

Another difficult week.  Not going to say it was unproductive, because it wasn't, but more productive in non-challenge ways.  Now that the caregiver role has come to an end, I should be able to get back into a better routine.  There will be things to do, but they will be less encompassing emotionally, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wolverine said:

Another difficult week.  Not going to say it was unproductive, because it wasn't, but more productive in non-challenge ways.  Now that the caregiver role has come to an end, I should be able to get back into a better routine.  There will be things to do, but they will be less encompassing emotionally, I think.

Which is in the end the way more important part here! I'm having some trouble this challenge too, though it is gladly not as hard as the stuff you're dealing with. Sometimes life happens and you have to deal with it.

My condolences for your loss! May NF and the iron therapy help you getting back on track! :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BarbarianBassBro said:

Which is in the end the way more important part here! I'm having some trouble this challenge too, though it is gladly not as hard as the stuff you're dealing with. Sometimes life happens and you have to deal with it.

My condolences for your loss! May NF and the iron therapy help you getting back on track! :( 

 

Thanks, BB.  Both the support and the reminder of why we're here is appreciated. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've (finally) decided on a program by Brad Schoenfield.  It's unlike anything I've ever done before, so I'm a little nervous about making the commitment to it, but... YOLO?

 

First part is a "Break-In Routine" for those who haven't trained before or are coming back from a long layoff.  As I am both injured (left shoulder, right elbow, lower back) and coming back from almost two months of inconsistent training, I have decided to go ahead and complete the two months of preparatory work before the actual program starts.

 

BREAK-IN ROUTINE

Block 1 Microcycle 1 Day 1

  • Molding Mobility
  • DB Bench Press: 20# per DB x 20 x 3
  • Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown: 40# x 20 x 3
  • DB One-Arm Shoulder Press: 10# x 20 LR x 3
  • DB One-Arm Row: 20# x 20 LR x 3
  • DB Standing Alternating Curl: 10# x 20 LR, 15# x 20 LR x 2
  • Rope Pressdown: 30# x 20 x 3
  • Squat: 45# x 20 x 3
  • Lying Leg Curl: 25# x 20 x 3
  • Standing Calf Raise: BW x 20 x 3

NOTES

  • Sets: 3
  • Reps: 15-20
  • Rest intervals: 1-2 min.
  • Tempo: 1-2 sec. concentric and 2-3 sec. eccentric
  • RPE: 6
  • Training Frequency: full body 3 days per week
     
  • Mostly pump work, which was actually pretty fun.  20 rep squats, however, are never fun... even when it's just the bar!
     
  • DB bench press and shoulder press were performed with a neutral grip due to my shoulder injury.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Having a set program will help  you get back into the workout routine. 

 

Indeed. Seeing my MIL through hospice was a surreal experience, the loss came at the beginning so it's difficult to gauge how the mourning process went. But for sure life as we knew it was put on hold and getting back to regularity meant rebuilding a routine. Here's hoping the iron temple offers some solace in that, and best to you and yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wolverine said:

I miss her terribly but am very thankful that it's over.  It's a weird feeling.

 

I'm sorry for your loss.  

 

5 hours ago, Wolverine said:

I've (finally) decided on a program by Brad Schoenfield.  It's unlike anything I've ever done before, so I'm a little nervous about making the commitment to it, but... YOLO?

  • Mostly pump work, which was actually pretty fun.  20 rep squats, however, are never fun... even when it's just the bar!

 

Nice job committing to a program - I'll be interested to hear how it goes - I've never seen it before (not surprising - I'm still a newb!)  

 

Also nice job finding one that is fun for you!  Well done.  Agree with above posters re: having a routine is helpful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wolverine said:

On Friday night / Saturday morning, SM lost her battle with cancer.  32 days from diagnosis to death. Crazy.  I miss her terribly but am very thankful that it's over.  It's a weird feeling.

 

Thanks for all the support!

Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you found your way back to the boards, not just for fitness, but so that we could give you some words of comfort. Sorry I can only send virtual hugs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2016 at 11:49 AM, Elastigirl said:

Having a set program will help  you get back into the workout routine. 

 

I hope so!  That's the idea anyway.  Now the hard part - sticking to it and not getting distracted by shiny things!!!

 

On 6/27/2016 at 2:09 PM, ~RedStone~ said:

 

Indeed. Seeing my MIL through hospice was a surreal experience, the loss came at the beginning so it's difficult to gauge how the mourning process went. But for sure life as we knew it was put on hold and getting back to regularity meant rebuilding a routine. Here's hoping the iron temple offers some solace in that, and best to you and yours.

 

Thanks!  So far so good.

 

23 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Nice job committing to a program - I'll be interested to hear how it goes - I've never seen it before (not surprising - I'm still a newb!)   

 

I hadn't heard of it either.  I think most lifters around here are interested in strength first and hypertrophy second.  As I am the opposite, in my searching I came across quite a few routines that I hadn't heard of before.  I think Schoenfield's program is cool because it's split into three (four counting the break-in routine I'm doing now) different training phases, all with a different purpose.  It's gonna take me awhile to get through one round of the whole thing (6 months, I think)... I've never stuck to a program that long before!

 

20 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you found your way back to the boards, not just for fitness, but so that we could give you some words of comfort. Sorry I can only send virtual hugs

 

Thanks, EG. Virtual hugs are good too. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are things?? I hope all is as well as it can be after such a trying time.

 

I also hope you're able to stay for another challenge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now