On 7/16/2016 at 0:36 PM, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

I didn't always want to be a writer. I wanted to be a doctor, but then I got to talking to my dad and some horrible realities of being a doctor became known to me. Namely that I will have patients who will not make it. And I will have to be okay with that. I don't think I could ever be okay with that and I'm not sure I want to be okay with that, so I decided I'd be a scientist instead... but then I realized that instead of paying attention in O chem and physics, I was writing stories. So I switched my major to English and now I... receive a steady diet of rejection letters from magazines.

Funny, I wanted to be a writer for television and I ended up in accounting.  I went to class one day and was the only person wearing shoes save one incredibly over-dressed girl who seemed to perpetually be prepared for when CNN would chopper down one day and ask her to read the news live, that instant.  I decided to get a finance degree instead. 

• Like 1

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

On 7/17/2016 at 5:22 PM, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Tell me how the flavors work. I only ever by the unflavored kinds

Maybe they're not available everywhere, but they're basically in these foil packets and they have flavors like ranch, lemon pepper, buffalo, etc.... I was soooo impressed by the macros on these. low calorie AND 18 g of protein? count me in! Except mercury. How much is too much mercury? I should look that up... I had the ranch packet for lunch today and it was pretty good! 

• Like 1

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

On 03/07/2016 at 0:18 AM, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Actually, question for all of you: the ending of Gods of Egypt (all the spoilers, I guess) basically consists of Ra "rewarding" Horus's good deeds by coming down and handing out life to Horus's dead friends the way Oprah hands out cars. "And YOU get to be alive again! And YOU get to be alive again. And YOU get to be alive again!" This, for a lot of reasons, is bad writing. It's literally a Deus Ex Machina, it takes away the weight (what little there was) of all the previous scenes... But does that kind of thing really bother you guys? I mean, the ending of Edge of Tomorrow, a movie I actually quite enjoy and a lot of other people seem to like, does almost the exact same thing for their cheap happy ending.

The reason I ask is because I kind of plan the same thing for Sacrifice. (I mean, I hope to set it up a lot better and won't remove all the consequences so actions still have purpose... but, yeah... it's disturbingly similar.) Should I scrap it and go for the 100% downer ending? 

I didn't get to watch Gods of Egypt, but I sure did watch Edge of Tomorrow. But they're saying that the real ending of Edge of Tomorrow is that the guy never really saved the girl from her death in the original manga. :) They said the alien invasion should've been easily defeated if only the guy didn't desire to save the girl from death, coz he always tried his best to go back to time to save the girl. I don't know if you knew that already, but it may help you with your ending too.

On 7/18/2016 at 4:06 PM, Mike_d85 said:

Funny, I wanted to be a writer for television and I ended up in accounting.  I went to class one day and was the only person wearing shoes save one incredibly over-dressed girl who seemed to perpetually be prepared for when CNN would chopper down one day and ask her to read the news live, that instant.  I decided to get a finance degree instead. 

Weird.. why no shoes? I thought about writing things for television (spec scripts are basically fanfiction, right?) but I'm... really not that comfortable with script formats.

Congrats on being able to fiance. That is waaaaay harder than writing.

On 7/18/2016 at 8:11 PM, durfette said:

Maybe they're not available everywhere, but they're basically in these foil packets and they have flavors like ranch, lemon pepper, buffalo, etc.... I was soooo impressed by the macros on these. low calorie AND 18 g of protein? count me in! Except mercury. How much is too much mercury? I should look that up... I had the ranch packet for lunch today and it was pretty good! 

Omg, I didn't consider mercury... I forgot that was a thing... hmm... Well, I"m not mad hattering yet! (I think...........)

4 hours ago, LucentFrost said:

I didn't get to watch Gods of Egypt, but I sure did watch Edge of Tomorrow. But they're saying that the real ending of Edge of Tomorrow is that the guy never really saved the girl from her death in the original manga. :) They said the alien invasion should've been easily defeated if only the guy didn't desire to save the girl from death, coz he always tried his best to go back to time to save the girl. I don't know if you knew that already, but it may help you with your ending too.

Actually, no I didn't know that! Hmmm, thematically, there's a lot of stuff you can do with that. I'm not sure how much applies to Sacrifice though. Nobody messes with time in that story.

Speaking of messing with time, I have rediscovered that Undertale is a thing that I want to play. But I don't own it. Instead of actually playing the game, I've been mostly watching this video.

Watching it, like, a lot. OMG, do I want to play this game. 

• Like 2

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

July 18 and 19 2016

Diet: Monday I had a banana, fruit strips, granola bars and some cinnamon sugar pastry thingies for breakfast/lunch. Dinner was my regular tuna/rice dish, and then I used the left over rice to make something approximating rice pudding but nowhere near as good. Tuesday I ate an apple, carrots, and a fruit strip for breakfast/lunch. Ate a lot of popcorn at book club, and had chicken with ranch and green beans for lunch.

4WC #1: Under calorie goal? Yes and yes.

4WC #2: Under sodium goal? Yes and yes.

Exercise: I didn't do anything on Monday, but yesterday I did a body weight work out. I swapped out squats for lunges, which was I was not able to do very many of. Other than that, pretty similar to Sunday.

4WC #3: Active 4x a week? No and yes. Two of four complete.

Life: I cleaned and dusted my nightstand on Monday and an antique... thingy. (Piece of furniture. Made of wood...?) Both of these were really small, but I really hate cleaning so doing anything at all is a plus for me. But! On to the good stuff, the writing: Last two days protagonist B has been super mad at protagonist A for not defeating the giants in a traditional manner. His argument is that offering to trade with them does not count as "vanquishing." Protagonist A's argument is that attempting to vanquish them traditionally would have gotten them stepped on. Mostly we're just creating conflict between the two leads. While they're all buddy-buddy, it doesn't feel like protagonist B has much of a presence? So if they're pissed at each other, he'll have more... influence on the plot, I hope? Probably I'm just doing that traditional story thing where all the protagonists have to be pissed at each other before we start Act Three. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, I would be happy to list off lots of stories that do this and dissect why writers seem to consider this an "essential" element. That would actually be pretty fun?) Anyway, if it means I'm getting close to Act Three... that would literally be the farthest I've ever gotten in writing a novel before and I'm honestly pretty excited!

4WC #4: Clean a thing every day? Yes and yes.

Summary: Things are happening! I'm not sure what they are or where they'll lead but they are definitely happening.

• Like 2

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”

1 hour ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Weird.. why no shoes? I thought about writing things for television (spec scripts are basically fanfiction, right?) but I'm... really not that comfortable with script formats.

Congrats on being able to fiance. That is waaaaay harder than writing.

To this day I have no idea.  And it seems more like writing a fanfiction while playing a party game where random things have to happen because reasons.  This includes draft revisions with instructions like "re-write you plot and kill character Y."

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

18 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Speaking of messing with time, I have rediscovered that Undertale is a thing that I want to play. But I don't own it. Instead of actually playing the game, I've been mostly watching this video.

Watching it, like, a lot. OMG, do I want to play this game. 

I don't know anything about this game but the video is interesting and watched it till the end but a little creepy for me, maybe because of the bg music? :)

On 7/20/2016 at 0:49 PM, Mike_d85 said:

To this day I have no idea.  And it seems more like writing a fanfiction while playing a party game where random things have to happen because reasons.  This includes draft revisions with instructions like "re-write you plot and kill character Y."

Is it weird that that sounds like fun to me? Except this would eventually become canon which makes it a lot more serious than what I'm imagining. 

On 7/21/2016 at 5:49 AM, LucentFrost said:

I don't know anything about this game but the video is interesting and watched it till the end but a little creepy for me, maybe because of the bg music? :)

Possibly? The actual game isn't really this creepy... or, I guess it could be depending on how you choose to do things... It's one of those making choices games that I'm pretty fond of. 

• Like 1

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

July 20, 21, and 22, 2016

Diet: Ugh, okay. So Wednesday breakfast was leftover popcorn from bookclub, lunch was carrots and a chicken cabbage wrap(?) with a little ranch, and dinner was pasta with Parmesan and butter. And somehow I still managed to come in under both my sodium and my calorie goals. Thursday, not so much. Thursday was apparently "national junk food day" according to the radio hosts who decided it would be appropriate to go on and on about their favorite junk foods? Broke me like pinata. Suddenly I was scarfing down bagels, in addition to the food I had brought to eat. (Basically the same as yesterday's lunch, but twice because I ate it for breakfast.) Under my sodium goal but my calorie goal? Not so much. Friday was an apple for breakfast, tuna and frozen veggies combo for lunch, and carrots in the afternoon, and then dinner I ate incredibly unhealthy because my sister came over! (Yay!) Grilled cheese sandwich and then ice cream. But I was still under both my sodium and calorie goals, so that's good! (Too much fat, though... I mean, not a thing I'm focused on, but I'm still noting it.)

2WC #1: Under calorie goal? Yes, no and yes.

2WC #2: Under sodium goal? Yes, yes and yes.

Exercise: So we've had an excessive heat warning on Wednesday and Thursday, however that did not stop me mowing the lawn on Wednesday. (Doesn't count, but I thought I'd mention it.) Awful. Terrible. No fun. So, on Thursday, I did nothing. I did bike yesterday, a lot farther than I thought I was going to. It turns out biking is a lot easier when one of your tires isn't almost completely flat.

2WC #3: Exercise 4x a week? No, no and yes. Three out of four complete.

Life: Cleaning. So, I cleaned off a bathroom counter, a chair, and an end table. Yay. As far as writing goes, we're back with the bad guy and the two characters I didn't plan on having! Yay! I'm mostly pre-writing in the draft again, fleshing out character motivations I didn't know I would need. But I expect to write actual plot today. Something I deliberately skipped over worrying about when it actually happened is going t be explored today... I'm not sure I want to, mostly because this is a first draft, and I haven't spent a lot of time thinking carefully and deliberately about what I'm doing. Basically, if I think it, it goes down on the page. And with this part, I feel I may have to actually think about stuff and things. My brain is not used to thinking.  

2WC #4: Clean a thing? Yes, yes, and yes.

Summary: Ugh. Ugghy weather, ugghy food, ugghy exercise (for the most part) It's just been pretty ugh. Except for my sister coming to visit. That's awesome. (I told her about this website, and she was super excited by it? She told me she wanted to join but she hasn't actually done it yet, so I'm not sure if she will or not.)

• Like 1

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

Saturday July 23, 2016

I feel like I need to do individual posts because a lot of things happened this weekend? Anywho...

Diet: Thank goodness I have MyFitnessPal because otherwise I would forget. Cereal for breakfast, and then I had an actual sandwich for lunch, with actual bread. This turned out to be a bad idea because I almost gagged? This was a lunch I used to eat all the time in college, to the point where I couldn't stomach it anymore. It's been two years, but apparently I still can't. Anyway, dinner was tacos with chips and guac.

4WC #1: Under calorie goal? Yes.

4WC #2: Under sodium goal? Yes.

Exercise: Okay, so, Saturday was super busy. After work, we all went to my place to eat tacos and then we all decided to go to the new Stark Trek movie? (Good action, not so good character development, and also Beastie Boys. Krall is definitely the weakest of the three villains so far. But good action and lots of little nods to the original.) I did manage to get a work out in after we got back though. Lunges still suck. Adding Beastie Boys to my workout playlist was a very good decision.

4WC #3: Exercise 4x per week? Sliding under the wire with that last workout. Yes! 4 out of 4 complete!

Life: Cleaned in the living room. Wrote stuff, but I don't remember what now? Sorry.

4WC #4: Cleaned a thing? Yes.

Summary: Tacos and movies with friends is always a good day!

• Like 2

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

Sunday July 24, 2016

Diet: Cereal and buttered toast for breakfast, and then my sister and our friend all went out to eat for lunch. We had Chinese; I did not add any sauce, soy or otherwise, to anything I ordered. Then both my sister and our friend had to leave, so I was on my own for dinner. I had toast and a Mike's for dinner.

Exercise: Biked to where I'm pretty sure the trail ends on the north side. Something branches off and heads west a few miles south of that, so I'll explore that next time.

4WC #3: Exercise 4x a week? Biked today. 1 out of 4 complete.

Life: Clean a thing? Cleaned in the living room again. I totally forgot to write yesterday, so that's a thing.

Summary: Relatively good day, but I forgot to write. I can't say it was a great day.

• Like 2

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

Monday July 25, 2016

I could have put this with Sunday I guess. It wasn't as full a day as I thought it was.

Diet: Okay, so... breakfast was cereal and chips with guacamole. Because I looked in the fridge and saw that I had sooo much guac left over from Saturday and it was starting to get all brown and oxidized? So I ate it. Some of it. The rest of it I ate for dinner, with toast and a fried egg. Lunch you ask? Totally forgot about lunch. Guac turns out to be filling? I ate some carrots as a snack, but I didn't really eat a lunch.

4WC #1: Under calorie goal? Yes. Turns out guac is not that caloric?

Exercise: No. Was gonna, but didn't.

4WC #3: Exercise 4x a week? Not today. 1 out of 4 complete.

Life: Cleaned in my bedroom. Wrote about Britta and her merry band of guys that tortured her for information she didn't have! Satire of religious fanatics who twist facts to fit their theories was a little strong yesterday. Might water that down a little in the second draft. Might... not. My main character did kill his significant other and the sun hasn't risen for a month. He has some pretty good excuses to behave irrationally.

Summary: Post-human interaction tiredness, I think? (I'm a super introvert according to Missus Myers and Briggs, so people make me tired. Even if I love them and have all the fun, I'm still tired.) I'm far more chipper this morning than I was all yesterday.

• Like 1

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

Tuesday July 26, 2016

Diet: Not so good. Toast and cereal for breakfast, and then I made a not-really-taco-not-really-salad taco salad for lunch using leftovers... that ended up being mostly salsa. (Pro tip: don't try to watch Penny Dreadful while eating. Don't do it. You think it's going to be a nice scene because everything's well lit and a child is walking through a field of daffodils. Surprise! Not a nice scene.) Salsa is not a filling lunch, so I was starving by the end of the day. I thought we were going to have book club today, so I had to go to the store and buy treats. (Cookies) and I also bought those sargento break snack pack things? I ate all three of them. That was my dinner. Plus 1.5 cookies, because guess what? No book club. So now I've eaten far more dairy than I normally do and have lots of cookies at work. Just sitting there. Waiting.

4WC #1: Under calorie goal? Actually, yes. Skated right under that wire with 12 calories left.

4WC #2: Under sodium goal? Yes. I know. I'm as surprised as you are.

Exercise: Body weight workout. I feel like I'm getting worse at this... and I'm not even doing NF Beginner Body Weight thingy. That was not beginner enough for me, and it doesn't feel like I'm getting to that level any time soon. Ugh.

4WC #3: Work out 4x a week? Yes. Two out of four complete. Grudgingly.

Life: We're going to fight a lich now, except I'm going to have to do that thing where we have character development in the middle of a fight scene... and I'm not entirely sure how to do that? Like, I don't consider myself very good at writing fight scenes in the first place, so this might be a bit of a clustercluck. But after I get done! Dude! Plot stuff happens! It's gonna be so exciting! (I hope.) Also, cleaned in the living room. The minimum amount to feel like I actually did this thing.

Summary: Cookies are Sith Lords.

• Like 2

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

Wednesday July 27, 2016

Here, listen to this song. It's awesome. Could just be me though, I love orchestras.

Diet: Cookies, not-quite-taco-not-quite-salad taco salad, nachos and a mikes lemonade. All super bad for me. (Except the not quite taco salad, I guess.) But I ate little enough of all those things to make it under my calorie goal? Feels like I'm trying to outrun my fork, though. Don't know. I do feel like I'm hungrier this challenge than I was last challenge. Or... perhaps just less able to resist cravings? I don't know.

Exercise: I went off on that branch of bike trail I saw last time I went biking! It crosses the highway, winds past a cemetery, and then crosses the highway again before going up the west side of the big lake. It does not go all the way around the lake. Not that I tried to go all the way around. (Lake's seventeen miles around. Eventually I'll do that, but not yet.) I know this because I know where the trail ends on the east side. Also, coming back, I totally missed a turn and ended up in the cemetery. Oops? Sorry about disturbing your ancestors.

4WC #3: Exercise 4x a week? Yes. Three out of four complete.

Life: I started cleaning in the living room, but then I got distracted and didn't complete the task I set for myself. So that didn't happen. On the plus side, interesting things are happening in my story. Zombie hands bursting out of the ground and the lecherous lich is about to show himself. (He's lecherous mostly because I like the alliteration. But also because satire on creepy guys who don't understand how creepy they are. An undead monster man is obviously the best way to get that point across. )

4WC #4: Clean a thing? No. Crud.

Fun fact: I went to the doctor's office this morning and they weighed me. According to their scale, I've lost 24 lbs since January. Yay! Also my blood pressure is lovely, though I think that's more of a genetic thing than anything I do intentionally.

Extra fun fact: Their scale weighs me about 3lbs heavier than my scale at home does. Change in weight is more important than actual weight. I mean, I knew that intellectually, but it's nice to have it reaffirmed. 

Summary: Why is biking so much more fun than body weight exercises?

• Like 1

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."