Theodinspire: the Dawn of Summer

Finals are over! Yea! We've moved into our condo! Hurrah!

2wJQRNUhrWb2o.gif

Honestly, I'm a little at a loss of what to do with my life at the moment. Free time? What is this? I've also been using my schoolwork load interfere with my self-care. My sleep schedule's a wreck, I've not been to the gym in a few weeks, and swords in even longer. 

Zsc4dATQgcBmU.gif

I've a lot of things I'd like to do with my summer, though I do have a summer course. I want to build an application, I have four ideas running through my head right now, ranging from easy to difficult. I want to draw more. I'd like to learn embroidery. I'd like to practice the ʻukulele more. I'd like to be able to play a goddamned video game. I want to work on that epic poem that's gathering dust.

PGMqSJcVexVEQ.gif

So, onto it:

39rTHjH1qbHos.gif

Mind and Body:

• Physical activity at least five three times a week:
    • Broadsword: Go to sword class at least twice once a week. I need to get back on track there. And I miss grappling something fierce.
    • Bodyweight: Do the /r/bodyweightfitness recommended routine at least twice a week. I'm getting a hell of a lot better with my pull ups, as I've been able to do some practice not at a gym. We have normal lintels in our condo so I've been able to get a doorway bar. I can bust out five getting my clavicles to the handles. Gotta work on that power too, though. Also, does anyone have any pistol squat progression advice?
    • Rapier (optional): The new taster session for the rapier class starts on the 21st, and if I get a monthly sword pass, it is included. Might be fun.
  • Meditation: five minutes a day.

Diet:

• Always the worst bit of my challenge. I'm under 15% bf and if I try to go lower I have to think about food all the frelling time. So just watch it?

Life:

• Creativity: 30 20 minutes of creative endeavor a day three times a week. Drawing, strumming, writing, composing, programming, just something.
  • Programming: 12 pomodori a week? Including design. Start simple and build up?
  • Linear Algebra: I have 92 videos and exercises to go on Khan Academy's Linear Algebra module (not including the alternate coordinate systems). I need to brush up before my Image Processing class in the autumn. So that boils down to 8 videos a week.

vEcyRJ5yysqk.gif

Let's do this.

† Unless I want to clear my database and test everything again…

‡ Though we should probably get everything out of boxes (but we need another dresser), change the doorknobs, hang the art, change the kitchen faucet, &c.

Level 5 Monk (Broadsword Focus), Level 1 Assassin

Battle Log | Fitness Tumblr

Challenges: Currens | Octavus | Septimum | Sextum | Quintum | Quartum | TertiumSecundum | Primum

It's a lot.  Whether it's too much depends on you.  Would suggest you run a quick estimate on the time you've got available and the time you'll need to budget for this stuff, and maybe also plan for a week to ramp up to it, so you can get a better handle on how much of a stretch it is.

It's pretty cool, though, and you're making me want to do all the things.  I can't actually do all the things, but... I could, right?

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Regarding pistol progressions - they all work, and also, none of them work.

Bathurst does a good rundown on different kinds of progressions. I feel like I've been talking about him a lot lately, but he's the one person I've seen actually explore a bunch of different ways of pursuing this movement. I'm presently using method number one. ;)

Anyway, it is a lot of stuff to do, but you know yourself and your schedule. If it's doable, it's doable. That said, if you feel doubt already, it may not be foolish to take counsel of it and reconfigure. There's no shame in doing less if less things done are still done, you know what I mean?

• Like 1
Guest UnknownUser

Yeah, that's a ton of stuff. If you can do it, do it. Like Kishi said, there's absolutely no shame in doing less. The purpose of the shorter challenges is to allow for more focused goals.

On 6/9/2016 at 10:34 AM, theodinspire said:

Start simple and build up?

This. As a suggestion, start simple. From the many things that you want to do besides exercise, sleep, and food, pick one. Make it a habit. Have a scheduled time for doing it. I spent 50 hours on my word search web app in January (a good portion was spent every day Jan 12-23). I made a list of tasks I wanted to accomplish, set 1-2 hour timer each day and went ham during that period. If and when you decide to keep doing a thing, you can contemplate adding another. At least, that's what works for me.

If you want to make an application, do it. If you want to do artsy stuff, do it. It's your challenge. Crush it dude.

2 hours ago, buckswrath said:

This. As a suggestion, start simple. From the many things that you want to do besides exercise, sleep, and food, pick one. Make it a habit. Have a scheduled time for doing it.

There is, I think, a real value to looking at the short month-long challenges as time to tackle one big habit (maybe two) and make it stick, and doing twelve in a year.  Four weeks isn't really enough time to overhaul your lifestyle.  I think the most ambitious I would get in a single challenge is to step up each week, if the habit is going well.  Do one the first week, two the second, etc.

If meditation used to be a habit, you may get a freebie there, especially as it's only five minutes.  Same with exercise, if you're falling back into old habits, you may not need to count that one as a full habit.  Diet isn't really a change so much as a "don't fuck up", so that's fine.  If it were me, I'd do just that week one, with maybe the linear algebra videos, since they don't sound too time-consuming, and not too different from what you've been doing.  (I assume they're under half an hour each.) Then add the daily creativity for the rest of the challenge, once your brain has started to warm up to the challenge.  Consider letting the programming slide another month and just do stuff that goes to self-care or is necessary, like the linear algebra.  There's two more months in the summer, you can do the app in July - meditation, gym time, and a creative outlet seems more pressing.  Not, I think, because you can't do it all in one challenge, but just because it takes some time to test yourself on it, you know?  It takes at least a week to go, "Yeah, that's fine, load up the next plate on the habit barbell".

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

@sarakingdom, @Kishi and @buckswrath: Thanks. I got my first assignments for my GIS class already—why isn't there at least a week off between terms?—and I will have to step back a bit anyways. Turning things down to: at least twice at the gym and once at swords a week; thrice a week of at least 20 minutes creative stuff, excluding knitting as that's mostly an attention tool, but including whatever coding or designing whose muse I feel at the time; and keeping the meditation where it is, so that I can build the resilience and focus to help with future endeavors.

I'll take that for two weeks and adjust as needed. The gym and swords were regular habits before, so once I grease them a bit, they should become almost automatic.

I'll say that I kinda preferred the six-week challenges, as they allowed me more room to step up holistically, especially with what little room school and work together get me.

Challenges: Currens | Octavus | Septimum | Sextum | Quintum | Quartum | TertiumSecundum | Primum

Combine two challenges into a longer challenge.  Nothing says you can't.  That'll give you nine weeks to play with.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Combine two challenges into a longer challenge.  Nothing says you can't.  That'll give you nine weeks to play with.

QFT

No reason not to take a longer view of these things, right? And no reason not to comport yourself and your challenges with the long view in mind.

Mixed start: got to the gym for the first time in a month (yay) but missed the ball on the meditation because I was too busy cleaning for the guests we had over for the Tony's. But at least I got most of the soap scum off of the tub from the previous owners. Now I can take my intergalactic bath bomb bath tonight. How's that for self care?

The big thing that'll help with the meditation is to find a good time to key it in. I'm always scrambling to get out the door in the morning, especially now that I'm shaving everyday. I'm going to try it once I get settled from coming home this evening from work.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Good call with the evening meditation. I find that I'm in too much of a hurry for a longer thing in the mornings, so I stick to shorter focus-and-visualization exercises in the morning. Longer stillness works better in the evening, for me. Maybe it's the same for you?

The annoyance for me with both exercise and meditation is that there's a constant tension between when you need the physiological/mental effects (right away! before work!), and when you can most easily do them (after you're a bit more settled into the day, maybe have carved out a bit of time).  I never hit the best arrangement.

Meditation done yesterday. Broadsword done yesterday.I'm pushing today's gym session to tomorrow because I've got the day off tomorrow and I forgot my student ID and won't be able to get into the gym.

I'm gonna try to spend some time drawing tonight. I also need to figure out where I can easily get a significant amount of short grained rice for dinner.

It took me a while to finally get there including standing in front of the rice at the grocery store snivelling over myself but I did some drawing tonight!

tumblr_o8skes9olT1sniwwdo1_540.jpg

I finally realized that the nose, mouth and chin I wanted for my OC were Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's so I started practicing them. I'll need to do some more guided drawings in the future.

Whoa, I need to update.

I've been doing fine with the physical aspects of my challenge. And the linear algebra is probably coming along fine; it's hard to tell, sometimes I skip a couple of videos because they're two addition half-hours of rehashing what I picked up in the first ten minute of the first half-hour video. (I get it: a subspace is any space whose dimensions are a subset of its superspace; why are there three videos about this?).

The creativity one I'm slipping a little on, got two of three last week and have really yet to do any this week. Also, I keep just forgetting to do the meditation until it's bed time at which point I don't know what the best option is. I have put it on my Habitica dailies though.

One also weird turn of events: I've been consumed by a sportsball. This hasn't happened before. I could watch hockey, and I'll enjoy it, but this doesn't compare with how much I now enjoy and want to watch Rugby League. In the course of a week I've got a favorite team (the St. George Illawara Dragons) and am complaining about the calls some refs make (this shouldn't have been a try). Then, before swords last night, I went to a bar to watch the Queensland v New South Wales State of Origin game, and was one of two people in the bar there to actually watch that game and not the Copa América afterwards. How in the tenebrous did this happen?

• Like 1

Not well. I'm gonna scrap this one and make a new five week challenge for July.

I've been getting to the gym, so that's been fine, but my priorities have been a little out of whack. Not severely, because I would've noticed that sooner, but just enough to be causing some strife. Next challenge will be a housekeeping challenge, which is definitely going to need to be strengthened as the Finch goes through her second trimester and then when the bairn comes.

• Like 1