• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Juni0r83

Not with a bang but a whimper, Juni0r83's not so triumphant return

Not with a bang but a whimper, Juni0r83’s not so triumphant return

So it’s been a while since I was active here. Basically, not since the last lifting competition. And not a lot has changed. I switched from 5/3/1 to the Texas Method of Power lifters. And I’ve gained about 13.5kg. In four months. Yeah I suck.

So, the Texas Method has been going really quite well. Which is to say that I’ve finally managed to get my training maxes to line up pretty much with my actual maxes from the last virtual lifting competition (once again, yeah I suck). And I’ve finally found a diet system that I think I can stick with, now I just have to actually implement it. That’s where this challenge comes in, the diet stuff, cause I finally feel like I’m starting to actually do well at the lifting stuff.

My challenge will therefore be to eat stuff that helps me get where I want to go. And where I want to go is a healthier weight class. Which one, I’m not entirely sure just yet, as I’m not sure where my body will find its resting point until I get there, all I know is: 138.5kg is not it.

So, let’s talk about my actual goals.

1. Start planning your evening meals so that they fit your overall goals. That is, 400 calories per meal, with plenty of protein. Not complicated, mostly about portion control, shouldn’t be too hard. But, we’ll see how it goes. 1 point for each day that I eat a 400 calorie evening meal (total possible score: 28 points).

2. Actually eat breakfast on my non-working days. I still tend to sleep too late on the days I’m not rostered on, and as a result skip breakfast, which then makes me feel like I can overeat on my subsequent meals for the day. Only problem is I always end up eating too much, and it becomes kind of a negative downward spiral. Once again, 1 point for each day that I eat breakfast when rostered off (total possible score: 14 points)

3. Eat my healthy lunch on days when I’m not working. Basically what happens here is I’m not being disciplined enough to stay on track when my wife isn’t motivated to do so. And likewise she isn’t being disciplined enough to stay on track when I’m not motivated to do so. Yes, we’re enablers. And so far it’s resulting in 5+ times per week takeaway. I’m not saying takeaway can’t be a part of a healthy balanced diet, but we definitely take it to excess. So, If I stick to my chicken salads on my days off, it’ll be one less thing that I can be derailed by. And hopefully it’ll help my wife stay on track too. And again, 1 point for each day that I eat my salad when I’m rostered off (or soup with my wife as she doesn’t like salad). (total possible score: 14 points)

So at the end of this, I should have a score out of 56 points. Normally I would then break it down into percentages (85%+ for an A, 70%-85% for a B, 50%-70% for a C, and everything else is a fail, just like when I was at high school). But instead, I’ll base my reward on my performance. Obviously getting the highest score will result in getting all of the rewards, and I won’t wait until the end of the challenge to get them all. As I hit a target point score, I’ll get myself the reward. And hopefully I’ll also be rewarded with a decent weight loss by the end of this whole thing too.

<30 – no reward. Suck it up princess; you should have done better if you wanted cool swag.

30+ - wrist wraps

40+ - knee sleeves

50+ - squat shoes

This is probably the most reward driven challenge I’ve run so far. Now let’s just hope that I don’t run out of money before the end of it and can’t afford my rewards!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Greetings fellow Dwarf warrior!  I like the reward system.  Hopefully, at the end of the challenge you're rolling in new swag!

Yeah, although using the term swag still makes me cringe a little...

26 minutes ago, wildross said:

Welcome back....think we're all late on the summer cut though.  (It will be in my goals as well...finding my natural weight class)

It's winter here, so, I'm precisely 6 months late on my summer cut, for the 32nd year in a row...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Squat shoes would be an awesome reward! You can do it!

That's the plan! I've actually told Kerri if she can hit the same goals, she'll get squat shoes too.

1 minute ago, Juni0r83 said:

It's winter here, so, I'm precisely 6 months late on my summer cut, for the 32nd year in a row...

Something could be said for your consistency, though.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Your Challenge write up is so cool! Precise and to the point. :)

Here to cheer you on.

(Loving that so many Challenges are connected this time, we are definitely not alone) :)

Yeah, apparently losing weight is like, difficult or something?

• Like 1

Weight loss is easy, weight maintenance is hard. ;) I think I've lost the same lb/kg 100 times.... it's like that one family member you wish wouldn't show up on holidays...

• Like 2

Okay, so the "whimpering" continues as challenge day 1 goes off with less than a bang.

Day 1

--------

I'm on nightshift (it's my last one) so I'm only eligible for 1 point, which is to eat a 400 calorie meal for dinner. I ate my mother's lamb roast, which is to say, precisely nothing was measured, and nothing was calorie controlled, and I have no idea about how many calories I consumed. So, 0/1 so far. damn. New maximum score: 55 points. Doesn't leave me a whole lot of room before I lose the squat shoes.

As an added bonus, I have dragged my wife (heretofore referred to as Kerri) into the challenge so she can earn some cool new gear too. But she doesn't work for a living, and has trouble making herself eat actual meals, as a result she snacks on bad stuff, and eats way too much at dinner time. So her goals are basically the same as mine, except count for every day.

Goal 1: eat breakfast every day, earn a point for each day (28 total points)

Goal 2: eat a soup for lunch (or salad), earn a point for each day (28 total points)

Goal 3: eat a 400 calorie dinner, earn a point for each day (28 total points)

So her maximum possible earnings are 84 points, and her reward levels are:

wrist wraps: 40+ points

knee sleeves: 55+ points

squat shoes: 70+ points

And because I really need a place to keep track of all of this stuff, I'll log it here (sorry for everyone who doesn't care, but it's convenient for me).

Today she didn't eat breakfast (no point scored)

Today she didn't eat a soup for lunch (no point scored)

Today she ate the same dinner as me (no point scored)

0/3 so far. New maximum score: 81 points.

She has more room before she loses a prize, but she also has more opportunities to miss, so I tried not to set her targets too high.

Anyway, that wraps up the recap for day 1. Hope everyone elses day went at least a little bit better that mine.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Following along for squat shoes goodness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's hoping I don't disappoint...

5 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

I think it's pretty cool that Kerri is doing this too! 

Yeah, I'm really happy to finally be getting her back into the idea of leveling up her life!

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

What shoes are you going to get!

I actually don't know yet. I have extremely wide feet (like H or G or something?) and haven't found many super wide squat shoes (they're all like c and d width). 

I did find these: 

http://thewodlife.com.au/products/inov8-fastlift-mens-black?variant=9089155397

they're in Australia, they're a little wider than adidi powers, they're a little cheaper too. I suspect I'll go that way, but I'm definitely open to suggestions if you, or anyone else, has any.

So I've come to the end of day 2. Let's recap:

goal 1: ate my bowl of cereal this morning before going to bed after night shift. 1 point scored

goal 2: ate my salad after getting up and before going to the gym. 1 point scored

goal 3: ate 3 slices of thin crust pizza, giving me right about 400 calories. (145 per slice, so a little over, but not so much that I'm concerned). Wasn't supposed to eat pizza, but life gets messy sometimes. 1 point scored.

3/3, I'm pretty happy with that. 

Kerri's day was basically the same. Cereal for breakfast, soup for lunch, and 3 slices of thin crust pizza for dinner. 3/3. Pretty good there too.

• Like 2

Monday's workout.

squats:

142kg 3x5

ever have those days when it just feels easy? Today was supposed to suck because I only got half the sleep I should have (first day off after nightshifts) but it just felt great instead.

bench:

86kg 3x5

i always wonder if I'm doing this wrong because my chest never feels like it's done any work.

RDL:

105kg 3x5

wore my belt for the first time doing these. Felt way easier on my core, and allowed my hamstrings really feel it. I'm seriously hoping as these continue to get heavier they start to provide more assistance to my deadlifts. Time will tell I guess

Tuesday equals day 3. Days without the gym always feel so damn long.

recap!

eat breakfast: 2 servings of crunchy nut cereal and 1 servings of 2% milk. 1 point

eat salad lunch: 168g of rotisserie chicken with salad and tzatziki dressing. 1 point

400 calorie dinner: 110g roast lamb and roasted zucchini, leak, mushrooms, broccoli and cauliflower. 1 point

3/3 for day 3. Running total would therefore be 6/7. Not bad so far, just trying to hold it together at least through the first week, which isn't easy considering not my parents invited us for pizza tonight. If we hadn't had it last night I don't think I could have said no.

kerri's day 3.

eat breakfast: same as me, 1 point.

eat soup lunch: 1 tin of chunky beef soup, 1 point

400 calorie dinner: same as me, 1 point.

so now she's at 6/9 so far. If she keeps it up she might even earn herself some cool new gear along with me.

• Like 4