• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miss_marissa

Miss Marissa cures her case of f&*!arounditis

I have a mean case of diet fuckarounditis and have no idea what I want goals wise. This is me:

"YEA PR's!!! I Wanna bulk!"

2 weeks later

"competition coming up I need to lose weight to make my weight class"

4 weeks after that

"Ugh I'm getting kinda flabby, I should cut"

1 week later

"OOO COOKIES!!!"

giphy.gif

Need to get my act together and figure out goals and I'm asking for your help. I did want to cut to look good at my brother's wedding (July 30) but I'm still riding that PR train from my competition (Choo choo motherfuckers) and want to keep that going.

I got a DEXA yesterday and here are my results:

dexa.jpg

My goal in my head was if I was below 22% I would bulk and if I was above that I would cut. 25.4% is good, but it could certainly be lower without sacrificing strength. 22% would bring me to about 135 lbs. But honestly, I'm not sure? I look fine, I feel good, and I kinda want PRs. But I also don't want to get overfat if I start to bulk. Note the image that most of my fat is "dat ass" I won't be looking to compete again until probably October at the earliest, most likely January. And it would be USAPL so none of this cutting to 60 kg nonsense again. 

Moar data plz?

right arm: 4.9 LBM, 2.0 fat

left arm: 5.0 LBM, 1.8 fat

(my puny little arms :( so tiiiiiiiiny, LBM needs to be like TWICE THAT BIG!)

right leg: 17.0 LBM, 8.7 fat <-- fattest part at 32.5%

left leg: 17.4 LBM, 8.3 fat

torso: 49.4 LBM, 13.6 fat <-- leanest part of my body at 20.9%

So... options:

1) Continue with the plan. Cut until the wedding, maintain for a few weeks and then bulk

2) Maintain until the wedding, then bulk immediately

3) Bulk, bulk, bulk #foreverbulk

• Like 7

Reserved for goals once I get my shit together.

So I think I’m going to maintain for this challenge. I’m feeling run down, tired and just generally poopy. Partly because I partied to hard this weekend, partly because I think I’m fighting some sort of virus, which I think I contracted when I was cutting for competition (I'm fighting a serious skin rash right now which I've never had before, pityriasis rosea, developed starting the day after my competition). Also, based on everyone’s opinions here, probably not the best time to cut.

Generally having a negative attitude about things right now so keeping it simple. I've been out of town 3 of the past 4 weekends, the 4th being memorial day, and I also predict a busy challenge period so I don’t want to overload myself:

June 18: train w/ coach, Mr. J football game

June 19: Father’s day, BFF baby shower

June 22: Baseball game

June 24: 4 year anniversary w/ Mr. J

June 25: more football

July 4: America

July 5: Hopefully summerfest (Blink 182)

July 7: Mr. J birthday

Goals:

1) Track all the things. Can’t eat maintenance if I don’t know what maintenance is. Don’t stress about eating too much, too little, in the right proportions, or “bad” foods.

2) Lift. At least 3x/week. Some form of movement every day.

3) Drink water. At least half gallon. More is better.

Life Goals:

1) Don't be a hoodrat (challenge 1)

Look fabulous. Take selfies. Post here.

2) Don't get too fat (challenge 2)

Walk or bike to work. 2x/week minimum.

3) Read (challenge 3)

Continue reading at least 3x/week.

4)    Don’t be a hermit (challenge 4)

Leave my apartment on either Saturday or Sunday. Should be easy with my social calendar this challenge.

5) Clean (challenge 5)

I have been shit with my cleaning since moving. I’m keeping up on the kitchen, but not anything else. Deep clean minimum one room per week. Rooms are my car, my bathroom, living room, bedroom and kitchen. Also, nag Mr. J to do his bathroom and his parts of our bedroom (the dresser). Deep cleaning includes everything applicable: sweep, mop, vacuum, dust, disinfect, shine/polish, organize all surfaces in said room. This probably won’t be a compounding challenge goal, just a one time

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Your bones only weigh 5.7#?  Are you a bird?

I asked about that, saying it seemed low as well. The lady said that they can differentiate between actual bones and things like bone marrow/cartilage which are counted as "not bones"

3 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Based on earlier discussions I am curious:  Do you have Waist, Hips, and Neck measurements handy?

EDIT:  And I think you are 67.0 inches tall.

No.

about 65.5"

At my weight this makes me terrified to get a DEXA scan, which I was planning to do at the end of the summer. Seeing my fat laid out like that would be alarming. Although I have seen my x-rays and CT scans, so I kind of know what to expect. 

It's pretty awesome to be able to see dat ass though. Now you know the distribution and it's pretty awesome. You are looking pretty lean my friend.

Also, all of your options end with a bulk... How much would you want to cut? Instead of cutting you could just bulk less? And skip the horrible calorie deficit all together.

Also, knowing that your bones only weigh like 5# pretty much throws most of those "I'm just big boned" theories right out the window....

• Like 3

Human body composition, Volume 918, by Steven Heymsfield, Timothy Lohman, ZiMian Wang, and Scott Going p. 291:

As a percentage of body mass, the dry, fat-free skeleton comprises about 3% of the body weight in the fetus and newborn and about 6% to 7% of body mass in the adult.

Ha!  I guess you learn something new every day.  I always counted skeleton as part of the lean body mass.  I guess I just was breaking it down into fat and not-fat.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

about 65.5"

Wow!  It is a good thing I did not do anything serious at work this morning because I totally mathed wrong.  x.x

Let's see if I am awake in the afternoon......

29 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Based on earlier discussions I am curious:  Do you have Waist, Hips, and Neck measurements handy?

Prediction:  Waist + Hips - Neck = 53 inches

Curious how much I missed by.

1 minute ago, Sam Ashen said:

Wow!  It is a good thing I did not do anything serious at work this morning because I totally mathed wrong.  x.x

Let's see if I am awake in the afternoon......

Prediction:  Waist + Hips - Neck = 53 inches

Curious how much I missed by.

I'm not taking measurements so  you're going to be curious for the rest of your life. #sorrynotsorry

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wildross said:

Interesting.  I thought bones were a much higher percentage...

I think the major delta is that this is just the pure calcified dry mass and does not include water in the bone tissue, marrow, cartilage, etc.  A fresh skeleton is something like 30% of your mass.  Think about the Georgia O'Keefe sun dried desert skulls.

Even so, this seems a couple pounds shy of 6%.  It's not an exact science, I suppose.

9 minutes ago, Grymm said:

I think the major delta is that this is just the pure calcified dry mass and does not include water in the bone tissue, marrow, cartilage, etc.  A fresh skeleton is something like 30% of your mass.  Think about the Georgia O'Keefe sun dried desert skulls.

Even so, this seems a couple pounds shy of 6%.  It's not an exact science, I suppose.

My bones are apparently also "above average/healthy" for my age and size. With the blue band being "healthy"

TUurjHh.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

My bones are apparently also "above average/healthy" for my age and size. With the blue band being "healthy"

TUurjHh.jpg

Yay!! and they should be. :) That is what lifting does. And why I'm hoping I'll never fall and have a broken hip. Just gotta keep lifting until I start pushing up daisies. That's the idea anyway. 

• Like 4

DEXA scan makes your butt look big :P

I'll second SS, if you like how you look/feel maintain weight and keep lifting. I guess if you maintain bodyweight and get gainz you'll eventually lean out a bit, but that's a problem you can fix with donuts... and any problem you can fix with donuts is a good problem.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, SpecialSundae said:

Maintain. There's no need for massive bulk and cut cycles to get stronger.

This. Recomp ftw.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I've seen recent pictures of you. FWIW you look great the way you are.

Awwww. thanks :)

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

At my weight this makes me terrified to get a DEXA scan, which I was planning to do at the end of the summer. Seeing my fat laid out like that would be alarming. Although I have seen my x-rays and CT scans, so I kind of know what to expect. 

It's pretty awesome to be able to see dat ass though. Now you know the distribution and it's pretty awesome. You are looking pretty lean my friend.

Also, all of your options end with a bulk... How much would you want to cut? Instead of cutting you could just bulk less? And skip the horrible calorie deficit all together.

Yea she showed me the picture and she goes "and this is where people say 'yea I already knew that'" (wrt to fat distribution)

It was an experience! I probably won't get another for at least 6 months, probably a year.

They all end in a bulk because I want to add mass, look bigger, lift heavier. The only reason for the cut was the wedding to look good in my bridesmaid dress.

1 hour ago, SpecialSundae said:

Maintain. There's no need for massive bulk and cut cycles to get stronger.

21 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

DEXA scan makes your butt look big :P

I'll second SS, if you like how you look/feel maintain weight and keep lifting. I guess if you maintain bodyweight and get gainz you'll eventually lean out a bit, but that's a problem you can fix with donuts... and any problem you can fix with donuts is a good problem.

Well you saw me last week!!! Lol Mmmm donuts. 

• Like 2