Glass - no. 14: ...but i must try

Glass

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

-This months theme inspired by my favorite band, who i saw last week: :3

Ahh. Trying hard. All i know is to always choose reality. Even if it hurts. Sit with the pain a little bit. And then you will realize how strong you can be. 

I'm scared of a lot of things. Rejection, low self-esteem, humiliation, the opinions of others... But really, I'm starting to see that my approach was all wrong. Instead of denying or minimizing it, I should just accept myself and my fears and let me get hit with the full gravity of my negativity and anxieties. Wallow in the pain and then realize how strong you are. A certain kind of peace develops. Because its okay. Being able to acknowledge your feelings, even ones youre scared to admit, gives you the strength you need to be in the moment and even enjoy it. Life. Everyone says they want adventure. Their eyes gleam in excitement. At the good. But what about the bad? That's as essential to adventure as the good. Pain and fear is adventure too. How unfair to not gleam at their thought! 

One of my favorite authors, Ayn Rand once said something about a face that had nothing to hide or run away from. I admire that, because it takes a lot of courage to face things you are scared of. And what a wonderful feeling of strength that accompanies it. I must try. Even if its painful. Because its always worth it to be honest with yourself and with what you want. 

Just my thoughts at the moment.

--

Love no. 1: SOCIAL

Stats: +1 sta, +1 con +2 wis, +1 cha   

1) Read/clean up online resources, aoc, social circles pdf

2) am/pm reflections

3) volunteer for big brother program after japan trip/set up some meetups

--

4) Books, read spark joy, organize downstairs area and minimalize. Read 'Courage' on plane to/from japan, and finish Rhinoceros book

5) Watch documentaries and movies

6) Watch interviews, tattoo stories, simple pickup

--

7) Go out/Hang out

Love no. 2: GUITAR

Stats: +1 dex, +2 wis, +1 cha  

1) Study AUG course

2) Update songbook with enoch's songs, make it look good

3) sign up for cccc guitar classes

--

4) Play guitar scales, ear training, set up rocksmith

5) Practice ear training/music theory with phone apps

6) Youtube singing courses

7) Learn 1-3 piano songs (limit to your love, simple chord songs)

--

7) Lessons with scotty, play with people (ask greg), 

Love no. 3: JIU-JITSU

Stats: +3 str, +1 dex, +1 sta, +1 con

1) Learn new things (grapplearts.tv, online resources, jiujitsu university book)

2) look into yoga classes 

--

3) Drill what you know at home, training in the moment, start habit in home dojo with puppet

4) Yoga, finish coach.me

5) Cook more often, simple and healthy meals

--

6) Classes at the dojo, go to more meditation events, train for tournament?

tumblr_o4nj9w047M1qhri3co1_500.jpg

• Like 5

"You have in you the seeds of greatness and the seeds of destruction. The seeds you nurture will prevail. Choose wisely."

"Spring comes, the grass grows by itself" ~Zen proverb

Those are great goals!  And I'm super jealous you are taking a trip to Japan.

• Like 1

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

On 6/11/2016 at 11:40 AM, MichiruSedai said:

Those are great goals!  And I'm super jealous you are taking a trip to Japan.

Thanks! I'm super excited spent a lot of time planning with my friend, planning on living it up B)

tumblr_nahir9rTVL1tebisoo1_1280.jpg

6-11.

-25 minutes on joint locks for shoulder, bicep, elbow, wrist. Its really about attacking the joint, immobilizing movement through your other arm, leverage, legs etc, then "bending the stick" lol

-Jamming with enoch, refresher.

-Hanging out, texting to hang

6-12.

-Lots of hanging out... shopping and driving and eating

• Like 3

"You have in you the seeds of greatness and the seeds of destruction. The seeds you nurture will prevail. Choose wisely."

On 6/12/2016 at 2:26 PM, Schaengel said:

Those are some nice goals :)

Do you already know good youtube singing classes?

Also where in Japan are you going? :)

Thank you sir :) I have a couple links, been researching but now I have to make time to do it... .lol

-Going all over the place! Kobe, Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo... 2 weeks <3

tumblr_o5j0voMIKv1rs8w78o1_1280.jpg

6-13.

-BJJ class! Went through the nitty gritty of guard passes, over under, knee slide, same side and opp side, stack pass... Then mount escapes, and shrimping, keeping elbows between their knees, point leg straight outside, use other leg to wrap under and into half guard, alternating with the normal sweep. mmMm combinations.

-Played and set up rocksmith... I love the arcade games because they strengthen reflexes and muscle memory. I dont like the songs, because it takes a lot of work to just figure out what to play and to play it in time. i guess it might just be hard because i have to play in time and its honest and i dont know how many songs i actually like... session mode seems advanced, once i learn the scales and how to improvise. can learn something from the tone machine too.. also signed up for conservatory classes!

-reflections and living

6-14.

-Stuffed my bjj puppet, finally, I need more used clothes and sheets..... i'll go back home and ask for more.

-Beach, reading, talking.

6-15.

-BJJ class, what to do vs. turtle (control same side, lift it up, insert hook, grab wrist of other, get collar again, insert another hook, pull to rear, get a choke)

-Practiced hearing each individual note in a chord on piano. Then tried it on organ. slow and steady progress. THe louder you sign the note, the more confidence you get, and the more commitment and thats really the best way to guess. no hedging or ear tuning up. make it loud, the note and pitch you are trying to test to see if you got right.

-reflections

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Glass said:

Thank you sir :) I have a couple links, been researching but now I have to make time to do it... .lol

-Going all over the place! Kobe, Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo... 2 weeks <3

If you find some good courses it would be awesoem if you could share them...so far I haven't yet found something I would describe as "totally awesome" ;)

Awesome. Kyoto is so nice, Tokyo too (if you find the time you could make a day trip from Tokyo to Yokohama...it's only half an hour away and a really nice harbour city that many people  talked to missed to have a look at  :) )

• Like 1

My NF-Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58102

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Member of the League of Epicness, Hellfire Club!

...would like to be a Nac Mac Feggle ;)

On 6/14/2016 at 5:59 AM, Schaengel said:

If you find some good courses it would be awesoem if you could share them...so far I haven't yet found something I would describe as "totally awesome" ;)

Awesome. Kyoto is so nice, Tokyo too (if you find the time you could make a day trip from Tokyo to Yokohama...it's only half an hour away and a really nice harbour city that many people  talked to missed to have a look at  :) )

For some reason Yokohoma completely was off my radar when we were trip planning... xD Going to disneyland too, I could have planned it so much better but its good enough that its happening anyway, so no complaints! Coulda been better but coulda also never happened in the first place, so I am content. I'll take it as it is, it is enough :)

I researched a little bit and these look good... haven't really explored them in depth tho :P

1) https://www.youtube.com/user/voicelessondotcom

2) https://www.youtube.com/user/AussieVocalCoach

3) https://www.youtube.com/user/madameunreality

-the first one especially! let me know what you think

• Like 1

tumblr_o6g747R9Ak1rs8w78o1_1280.jpg

6-16.

-Work 1-10, think I just thought about packing and prepping for the trip, made these goals, then slept.

6-17.

-Work 8-6, sleep/nap, then going out a little with a friend, then sleep

6-18.

-Work 8-8, packing, driving, sleeping.

• Like 1

tumblr_nztoa4R3iA1r6kaa9o7_400.jpg

WEEK ONE REVIEW

Social: 9/7 A (129%)

Guitar: 3/7 F (43%)

Jiu-jitsu: 4/7 (57%)

Overall: 16/21 C (76%)

-Strange week, out of 9 days but I just made it out of 7. Even then a lot of days working, and my off days I spent socially hanging out, so no regrets there. Otherwise just prepping for my trip. Not bad though! Now for the fun part of enjoying my vacation :)

• Like 1

Just gonna post this ahead of time to get it out of the way and off the checklist... 

tumblr_o57nfiE2lc1rs8w78o1_1280.jpg

GOALS FOR 2 WEEK JAPAN TRIP: 6/19-7/2

-Well, I'm not trying to get my daily passions done during this trip. Obviously, I should enjoy my time there with no responsibilities, people I like, in a new place with new adventures and new experiences. So no being at home or in a coffee shop reading or on my laptop. Sure there will be some of that, maybe, if I have downtime, but that will be just a bonus. Taking the next 2 weeks off then... So enjoy! I'll pretty much be leveling up my social every single day.. enough to overshadow guitar and jiujitsu, which I won't encounter organically there, probably. Anyways, I'll try to update everyday anyway, though I won't be doing it if it's too much... 15 min a day should be manageable. 

Got a lot of airplane and train time though, so I do expect to get some stuff done with that free time traveling, though I won't have high expectations for that. So, here is what I want to do for the next 2 weeks starting next sunday:

no. 1: social

-Read my books: spark joy, bring me the rhinoceros, freedom

-Read aoc slides, consolidate and visualize the course, reflect

-Read social circles pdf

-Read myschedule pdfs, get that job training done

-Read subaru pdf, understand my car a little better

no. 2: guitar

-Read pdfs of scotty's guitar lessons, take notes

-Maybe a little ear training, though I probably can't be loud

no. 3: jiu-jitsu

-Read pdfs of grapplearts.tv, visualize, add to grid

-Yoga with khanh

I don't know how much I'll get done but let's aim high. 

"Aim for the stars, because even if you miss you'll still be in the clouds."

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ~ Eli ~ said:

That's a very courageous way of approaching situations. I like the part where you say that pain and fear is an adventure, too. There's a lot of truth to that. :) 

Yay, another Rocksmith player! The minor pentatonic scale that they use in the arcade games are present in many of the songs that The Black Keys play. That definitely helped me with my reflexes. And I also tend to just skip over the crappy heavy-metal songs. :P 

Good luck with the rest of the challenge! And have fun in Japan!

Haha thanks man :D Leaving tmr!

How long have you been playing rocksmith? Or guitar in general haha. Play in a band?

• Like 1

tumblr_o459vhzAGz1v6x6i5o1_540.gif

Update!!

-Got back last night. Didn't get all my goals done, but thats fine. Still in the clouds B) 

-Did a little bit of reading, but being on the airplane, even for double digit hours, is mostly made of sleep, watching their movies, eating, listening to music. Did do a little bit, but its hard to concentrate with neighbors and the noisiness and the limited room. Still, got some reading done, finished Spark Joy, and read my subaru manual a little lol. Did one night of yoga and did a tiny bit of ear training. Ear training is annoying because its so much failing but after it  you feel good about progressing. its 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Keep taking those steps!

Now for Week 4! Legoooo

• Like 2

tumblr_mxbo2j8jCN1rydhapo1_500.jpg

7-3.

-Woke up, bought cvs stuff, went to barnes and noble to catch up a little, fixed iphone screen, lunch with mom, played life is strange with a friend, slept, drove home, maybe cleaned a little.

7-4.

-Worked 3-10, before that I cleaned up a little bit. Woke up really late, the jetlag is really affecting me, sleeping at random times. Need to recover from itchiness too. 

7-5.

-Worked 8-4, then went to the beach and read Rhinoceros and Quiet. Went back home, cleaned, and fell asleep at 9 pm o.o

• Like 1

tumblr_nd1a3lTeuq1rs8w78o1_1280.jpg

7-6.

-Woke up at 4 am... fckn jetlag or sickness or whatever. went to starbucks, no internet.. ugh but went back home and cleaned the whole bookshelf area... looks great now! afterwards guitar camp where I played with 2 professional musicians and other adult enthusiasts... was nervous but was great! it always seems like going out of your comfort zone is like that... have fun with it. 2 more days! Then went back home, relaxed, and a twenty minute nap turned into a six hour one >_> missed bjj class, but went to buy groceries then wasted a little time, then got to my desk and just tidied all my stuff, my physical lists and movie lists and caught up with everything refelctions. Still in  it might sleep in an hour or so. still gotta reflect, play guitar a little, and maybe organize the tv area. 

7-7.

-Lets see.... woke up, went to guitar camp for 4 hrs... learned a hell of a lot. maybe i should ty to memorize the songs better I really blank out sometimes. Gotta figure that block out. Then, went to starbucks and was super productive decluttering. Read my car's manual (briefly) did some job stuff, organized my onedrive, and set up my listings to sell these two graphing calculators I had around the house. Only worth 10 bucks a pop now xD Then my neighbor came over and we drank and watched Orange is the new black. Lmao, and messed around with making a song. Okay, then sleep.

7-8.

-guitar camp again, so bitter sweet! Then did the schedule for many hours, then sleep, then went out.

7-9.

-Work 8-8, then went out. Lol thats it.

• Like 4

On 7/11/2016 at 4:52 PM, ~ Eli ~ said:

I just realised that I didn't respond to this -- sorry! :( 

I've been playing guitar for about 12 months and Rocksmith for about 11 months. :) I'm not nearly good enough to play in a band yet! :lol: I hope to be someday, though.

I hope you had a super awesome time in Japan (I watched a documentary about it a few days ago -- it looks amazing. You're a lucky man. :P) That guitar camp sounds pretty epic! I hope the rest of the challenge was all right? *nudge*

Haha yea it was sick. But at the same time I also missed the US too. 2 weeks is a long time. And lol, time to do the review and set up for next challenge!

tumblr_o3y6jo9ODL1qcuwqmo2_540.png

week four review.

Social: 7/6

Guitar: 3/6

Jiujitsu: 0/6

Overall: 10/18 F (56%)

-Poor week in terms of passions, but I went out a lot, and went outside of my comfort zone often. Also recovering from my trip, jetlag and sunburn and injuries and the like. So moving on.

• Like 1

tumblr_o8h8uim7a81rvpbxco1_1280.png

challenge fourteen review.

Ok, so here we are. The most incomplete challenge ever, but thats with a two week trip to japan right in the middle of it. So thats more like a two week challenge. Also, one week was recovering and the first week was complicated by getting ready for the trip. so you could say that this challenge, the one about trying, was a success. I stepped outside of my comfort zone on numerous occasions. Thought statisitically it doesnt look great, I am proud of what I have accomplished, look back on this month with glory and happiness, and look forward to the next one. I am going to levle up since I did still try and got a good amount done, got a good amount of growing in. 

--

Action no. 1: SOCIAL

16/12= A 133%

Stats: +1 sta, +1 con +2 wis, +1 cha   

monthly goals: Finished reading 'spark joy' and organized a little

Action no. 2: GUITAR

6/12= F (50%)

Stats: +0.5 dex, +1 wis, +0.5 cha  

monthly goals: signed up for cccc guitar class, rocked it, set up rocksmith

Action no. 3: JIU-JITSU

4/12= (33%)
Stats: +1 str, +0.3 dex, +0.3 sta, +0.3 con

monthly goals: nothing

tumblr_nxdgo8eCau1s4uwt4o1_1280.jpg

level up!

str 24.4 dex 15.8 sta 25.5 con 26.0 wis 42.6 cha 30.7 

+str 1 dex 0.8 sta 1.3 con 1.3 wis 2 cha 2.5 

Level 15. Adventure Knight. 

=str 25.4 dex 16.4 sta 26.8 con 27.3 wis 44.6 cha 33.2 

• Like 1