• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

tumblr_nwfxl5SHir1ujuk5ho1_540.gif

I really just wanted to do a Rick and Morty themed challenge. This one is more of the same - right now my life is revolving around the 2016 Hill Country Strongman Classic YEAH!!!

It is going down Saturday, June 25th at the Austin Convention Center (as part of the Naturally Fit Games).

I sprained my wrist about 2 weeks ago, which really sucked. It was a giant wrench in my carefully planned training and peaking program, which was quite frustrating.

tumblr_o43h2wSYJi1ujuk5ho1_500.gif

Thankfully now it is on the mend thanks to bone broth, RICE, e-stim, acupuncture, and all the fruits. ALL THE FRUITS.

I wish there were more weight classes for women. At this NAS competition there are only three:

1. less than 140#

2. 140-160

3. 160+

This is lame because a 165# 5'5" woman would be competing head to head with a 220# 5'11" woman. I know they do it that way because not enough women compete at local events to break the classes down further, but it just doesn't seem right.

However, as a woman who currently weighs 214#, at least I don't have to worry about cutting weight. So for the month of June I'll be doing this:

635954209588398498-314677240_63595190723

• Like 2

Team #foreverbulk. You and @Sam Ashen can compare notes.

I love following your strongman prep! There is one near me in August and I want to go just to watch. I'm going to try to wrangle my sisters to go with me.

you are one strong-ass-woman!

• Like 1

That's ridiculous that the weight classes are so wide in range!

How do you like acupuncture? My yoga instructor keeps telling me to try it, but I've always been skeptical.

On June 11, 2016 at 8:29 PM, Grizzy said:

That's ridiculous that the weight classes are so wide in range!

How do you like acupuncture? My yoga instructor keeps telling me to try it, but I've always been skeptical.

I did one session this past Monday, and I'm doing one more tomorrow. Overall I thought it was very calming - basically mediated in a dark room for 30 minutes while relaxing music played. I hardly felt the needles at all when they were placed, and then once they were in place I didn't feel any pain or discomfort. I can't say if overall it really helped. It definitely didn't make anything worse. My wrist is feeling much better (about 90% healed now ~18 days post injury). However, I employed a LOT of tactics to maximize recovery, so it is very hard to isolate one thing and say that it definitely was or was not beneficial.

I say if you find a place nearby that interests you and other things haven't worked - why not give it a go? At this time I couldn't recommend it above or in place of another form of therapy/recovery without more personal experience (or convincing clinical data).

3 minutes ago, Brovatar Korra said:

I did one session this past Monday, and I'm doing one more tomorrow. Overall I thought it was very calming - basically mediated in a dark room for 30 minutes while relaxing music played. I hardly felt the needles at all when they were placed, and then once they were in place I didn't feel any pain or discomfort. I can't say if overall it really helped. It definitely didn't make anything worse. My wrist is feeling much better (about 90% healed now ~18 days post injury). However, I employed a LOT of tactics to maximize recovery, so it is very hard to isolate one thing and say that it definitely was or was not beneficial.

I say if you find a place nearby that interests you and other things haven't worked - why not give it a go? At this time I couldn't recommend it above or in place of another form of therapy/recovery without more personal experience (or convincing clinical data).

Thanks for the thorough reply! I don't have any specific injuries, my yoga instructor just recommends it in general for... health? Or something?

On Saturday night I went to a friend's birthday party. I had about 3 beers over the course of 4-5 hours on a full stomach, and barely felt buzzed. Unfortunately after getting home and crashing, I woke up about 4 am and puked all over the bathroom. :grey:I guess beer just doesn't agree with me anymore? I was more angry about losing all the protein I had with my meat-filled dinner. I had a great time at the party though!

giphy.gif

Sunday Workout Part 1:

I went to the Strongman gym mid-morning to practice 18" deadlifts with straps. Hit a new PR!

1. DL singles - 135, 185, 225, 275, 315, 335!

2. Log Press - 70, 90, 110, 130

(I was planning to work up to 150 on log, or even attempt a new PR at 160, but 130 felt terrible so decided to call it there. Going to hit log again on Tuesday, and 18" DL again on Thursday)

Sunday Workout Part 2:

Went to Gold's Gym in the afternoon and convinced my husband to come too, even though he hates leg days :pride:

1. Leg Press 90x8, 180x8, 270x8, 3 sets of 360x8

2. Leg Extensions 80x8, 3 sets of 95x8, drop-set 75x8

3. Calf Raises 3 sets of 105x10, drop-set 75x8 (slow tempo, pause at top and bottom)

Calories/Macros for the last 7 days:

Calories 3,028 (Goal 2700-2900)

Carbs 371g (Goal 300-330)

Fats 115g (Goal 100-120)

Protein 136g (Goal (125-155)

Fats and proteins are actually okay, within the spectrum I want them at. Carbs have creeped up, I need to bring them down about 50g (about 200 calories) to be in that sweet spot for all 3 macros. Damn you cereal and fruit for being so delicious. Getting much better at honing these in over the past few months!

cute-rick-and-morty-gif-444.gif

• Like 2

Ah, i see i see, a new thread for a new challenge. That Anto guy's blogs read well, so you could guess he does his research before posting instead of just vomiting broscience all over his part of the internet. 

• Like 1

Going to follow along for strongman goodness.  Congrats on the new PR.  I've always wanted to try the 18" deadlift.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pat G said:

Ah, i see i see, a new thread for a new challenge. That Anto guy's blogs read well, so you could guess he does his research before posting instead of just vomiting broscience all over his part of the internet. 

How Bro-science spreads :D

rick-morty-barf.gif?w=650

Monday's Workout Part 1:

Went to Gold's for an old fashioned shoulder day.

1. Overhead Press (Strict, standing) - decided to hit a new best 3x3

45x5, 65x3, 85x3, 95x3, 105x3, 115x3, 115x2, 110x3

Seeing as 115 was a new best 3RM (yay!) why I tried to do 3 sets of that was in retrospect ambitious dumb. Now I know next time to go for 110 3x3.

Also no wrist pain woo-hoo!

2. Incline BP 30# DB, 3x6

3. Karlsen Flyes 12.5# DB, 3x8 with 8 second hold on last rep

4. Three-way shoulder raises 10# DB for front and side, 7.5# for rear delt - 3x8

5. Face Pulls (cable) 40# 3x8, drop-set 30# 1x10

6. Hammer Curls 15# DB 3x8, drop-set 12.5# 1x8, drop-set 10# 1x8

Monday Workout Part 2: OLY

Drove to barbell club to test out snatches. Worked on singles all the way up to 45kg, and wrist felt great woohoo!

Then did speed squats 3x5 at the end just to get some blood flow to the legs. Were still kinda sore from Sunday's leg workout extravaganza.

This was the last day of body-building type stuff. From here on out it is going to be very event specific movements, lots of speed/explosive work.

• Like 3

Tuesday

Much needed rest day. I tried to relax but I kept just thinking about the competition and starting school!

1038b3e4793d8d2e0ba5a4020f5843b0.gif

Did do some productive stuff - I gave the dog a bath, and got an eye appointment scheduled so I can get a new perception and new glasses. Also played Assassin's Creed Syndicate. AND watched some of the new Netflix Voltron series. It is made by the same people who made Korra, and so far it is pretty great.

1 hour ago, Brovatar Korra said:

This was the last day of body-building type stuff. From here on out it is going to be very event specific movements, lots of speed/explosive work.

Don't tell the bros that you are stepping out on bro time! I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next. 

To be honest the body-part-per-day type workouts like "shoulder" day have always boggled my mind. Like how can you do all that shoulder work at once? How do you even get the last few exercises in? Are your shoulders not toast by then? At this point I am preferring full-body workouts. 

1 hour ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Did do some productive stuff - I gave the dog a bath, and got an eye appointment scheduled so I can get a new perception and new glasses. Also played Assassin's Creed Syndicate. AND watched some of the new Netflix Voltron series. It is made by the same people who made Korra, and so far it is pretty great.

I'm going to have to check that series out. That seems exactly like something my partner and I would enjoy. 

Wednesday

Went to Gold's with my husband, he did a full upper body workout. I just did bench press with him working up to 3RM, and I hit a new best of 175# yay! We also did some bike sprints at the end, which he did not care for :P

Thursday

18" DL with bands

I've never used bands before, this was tough in a new way!

Here is what was loaded on the bar: 135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 195x3, 205x3

We did some fun math and figured out that the bands were adding about 80# of resistance at the top. So when I picked up 205 off the ground, by the time I was holding at the top in the lockout it was about 285# in hand.

Bands were tough because they were new, and felt weird, but I do think it really helped with working on explosiveness off the blocks, and really engaging my glutes to push my hips through at the top. 

The competition weight for the 18" DL is going to be 375#, max reps in 60 seconds. The best I've pulled so far in training is 335#, so I'm getting pretty nervous about this event. Last year I zeroed the car deadlift, so this year if WHEN I get one solid rep I am going to consider that a huge personal victory.

Atlas Stones

Played with 114# stone, practiced lapping the stone 3 times, then loading it to 52" platform on the third time. Did this for a total of 4 sets, and oh man was I smoked at the end. Also my forearms were getting mad at me because I forgot to bring duck tape.

I think it would pretty great to get this design on the side of a backpack or purse or book bag or something:

raf,750x1000,075,t,101010:01c5ca27c6.u2.

• Like 4

On June 15, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

To be honest the body-part-per-day type workouts like "shoulder" day have always boggled my mind. Like how can you do all that shoulder work at once? How do you even get the last few exercises in? Are your shoulders not toast by then? At this point I am preferring full-body workouts. 

Hehe yeah doing 5-6 exercises all on the same major muscle group is rough. I definitely had to build up some work capacity to do it. My shoulders are toast by the end for sure, but it makes me happy :triumphant:

I don't train this way all the time though, this is the end of about 3-4 months of purposeful hypertrophy work. The downside is I only end up doing big movements (squat, BP, DL) once a week, and I really need to squat and bench more than once a week to improve my technique and maximal strength.

As for my bro-tastic workouts, I'm sure lat pulldowns and calf raises will still sneak their way in once in a while...

• Like 3

Friday

1. Power Hang Snatches - doubles working up to 40kg

2. Power Cleans - first time practicing cleans since wrist injury! Practiced at 35kg and did about a billion reps (okay it was probably 12)

3. A few jerks to loosen up overhead, and 3x5 light back squats for speed and explosiveness

4. Trap Bar Carry - 225# for 50 feet x 4

Tomorrow is Strongman Saturday! We are going to play with kegs, atlas stones, and log press, probably my final time touching these implements until game day on the 25th. Gonna try to get a few pictures if I can.

Strongman Saturday was super fun!

1. Keg Toss for height

Good news everyone! The women's bar is going to be set at 11 feet instead of 12 feet, woohoo!

I can throw the 25# kegs over just fine, still can't get the 30# to go over. It keeps falling just short, like 2" short, argh!

2. Atlas Stones

All tacky-ed up I hit 115, 140 and 170 at a height of 50" easy. When I lapped the 208 I felt something twinge in my stomach and I was immediately like, OH NO HERNIA! Luckily it was just a twinge, I guess I forgot to take a deep breath and stabilize my core. It scared me though! Then I told my coach "okay I'm gonna try it again." And he said, "NO! You're done." And I was like fine. And then when he wasn't looking I loaded the 170 again. :devilish:

3. Log Clean and Press

Did 70, 90, 110, and 130. 130 did feel pretty heavy, but a friend said it looked really smooth and easy so I should just go for 140. And I did and made it, but afterward my arms felt like wobbly noodles.

The whole day ended up taking about 3 hours, and I ate a lot of tacos when I was finished. Didn't have a chance to get any photos really. My coach took a video, which actually doesn't have anyone doing anything! But I guess you can see what our gym looks like. I'm the lady in the black t-shirt with her back to the camera walking away.

I think this should work:

• Like 5