• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

On June 19, 2016 at 1:04 AM, Starbuck said:

I can't see the video...

Lame! I knew something was up when I could watch it with no issues. I posted it as a gallery image, hopefully you can watch it HERE.

On Monday I did some more DL and light BP for reps to get the blood circulating to my tired muscles from Saturday.

Then I had a chance to go watch the 2016 International Raw World Championships because they are apparently 10 minutes from my house! I watched a friend of a friend lift in the Master's division, I was so impressed with how strong everyone was. I know duh, these are the best powerlifters in THE WORLD, but it's one thing to see a youtube video or read a record and another to watch it be broken!

I'm going to go back on Friday when the Super Heavyweights are going in the Open division. So excited! Apparently Bill Kazmeier was there and I wandered all over the convention center trying to stalk him but I didn't see him. :(

• Like 1

Hi! I am not in on this challenge, just lurking around. 

I love your Rick and Morty theme :) 

I'm also looking forward to the 25th - I am competing in VA's Strongest in Richmond, I'll be sending you good vibes for your contest.  Those are weird weight classes you have, one that is a 20 lb window and then just open ended categories on either side, ugh. I am jealous of the keg throw and truck pull. I have never thrown a keg. I have a truck pull, but seated. I so much prefer a good harness pull. I also have a max log C&P and an 18" DL as part of a DL medley. 

I think maybe I saw you comment on a video of my far-more-awesome-than-me training buddy Vivian (missvfit) on her instagram pics from USS nationals - small world.

Are you just resting this week? I am doing a light workout tonight and then no more gym until Saturday which I find very frustrating - but more free time!

Hi! I am not in on this challenge, just lurking around. 

I love your Rick and Morty theme  

I'm also looking forward to the 25th - I am competing in VA's Strongest in Richmond, I'll be sending you good vibes for your contest.  Those are weird weight classes you have, one that is a 20 lb window and then just open ended categories on either side, ugh. I am jealous of the keg throw and truck pull. I have never thrown a keg. I have a truck pull, but seated. I so much prefer a good harness pull. I also have a max log C&P and an 18" DL as part of a DL medley. 

I think maybe I saw you comment on a video of my far-more-awesome-than-me training buddy Vivian (missvfit) on her instagram pics from USS nationals - small world.

Are you just resting this week? I am doing a light workout tonight and then no more gym until Saturday which I find very frustrating - but more free time!

YOU TRAIN WITH VIVIAN???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

YOU TRAIN WITH VIVIAN???

Next time you see her please tell her Strongwoman Radio is the shit!

Good luck on your comp I'll be sending good vibes your way too!

Yeah, we used to be at the same gym, now we are not, but we still meet up pretty often to commiserate about lifting and cutting and all that. She is basically awesome and her hair is even better IRL. If you follow strong woman radio she has talked about her hunger buddy - that's my husband. We are having her over tomorrow night for his amazing bulgoigi to celebrate her USS success and support eating meals! I haven't listened to SWR in a long time, but if you remember way back on episode 13 they has Dustin on and he is one of my regular lifting buddies at my new gym. I think i stopped around episode 16 I should start listening again, they have had some cool guests. I think I was mentioned briefly in an early episode, either the strongman showdown, or the one where Nicole is a guest.

On June 21, 2016 at 10:25 AM, lwow said:

I did my last heavy training on Sunday. I did some light dumbbell work with my husband on Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday I did a light olympic lifting session, working mostly on explosiveness (power snatches!) You'll see a lot of articles about taking an entire week off or more before a comp. For me personally, I stop full training a week out but still continue to do light stuff until 48-72 hours out. I feel like I'm more rested and recovered that way instead of just stopping "cold turkey."

Yes today and Friday are pure resting, except for walking around and stretching. That is the hardest part! I am so ready to just go throw things around! :onthego:

On June 21, 2016 at 3:03 PM, lwow said:

Yeah, we used to be at the same gym, now we are not, but we still meet up pretty often to commiserate about lifting and cutting and all that. She is basically awesome and her hair is even better IRL. If you follow strong woman radio she has talked about her hunger buddy - that's my husband. We are having her over tomorrow night for his amazing bulgoigi to celebrate her USS success and support eating meals! I haven't listened to SWR in a long time, but if you remember way back on episode 13 they has Dustin on and he is one of my regular lifting buddies at my new gym. I think i stopped around episode 16 I should start listening again, they have had some cool guests. I think I was mentioned briefly in an early episode, either the strongman showdown, or the one where Nicole is a guest.

And I already thought you were cool before! Now you are a semi-celebrity. B)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Battle Report of my Competition yay!

Here is a link to a separate thread where I did a full write-up. I even got to wear a Rick And Morty shirt at the comp to help bring the theme full circle :D.

YOU ARE AMAZING! I'm getting caught up on threads, so I'm keeping this short. But I just want to say that you rock and I'm inspired!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

YOU ARE AMAZING! I'm getting caught up on threads, so I'm keeping this short. But I just want to say that you rock and I'm inspired!

Thank you so much! :redface-new:

Today was my last day at my Barbell Club. Since I'm starting my pharmacy internship rotations next week I won't be able to train regularly, so it wasn't worth the money or the drive. I am going to still drop and visit my coach, hopefully at least once a month because he's good people. So of course on my last day we maxed out and I participated in the NF virtual meet!

Snatch

Attempt 1 44kg (tied old PR)

Attempt 2 46kg (good!)

Attempt 3 48kg (all good!)

C&J

Attempt 1 63kg

Attempt 2 65kg

Attempt 3 67kg (Press out! My arch nemesis argh!)

I will say I'm happy I have a new best total 113kg (Last total at my meet in April was 105kg) And as for pressing out - it used to happen much more often, like whenever the weights went above 120#. I've gotten more consistent at a clean lockout, but pressing still creeps back in (apparently) on max attempts. Gotta keep working to fix that!

I watched "Inception" with the husband a few days ago. It is still really good, but it has been ruined a bit because the whole time this kept running through the back of my mind:

tumblr_myr3bebGGG1ql91j6o1_500.gif""

• Like 3

So what do you do the Saturday after a Strongman Competition?

ANOTHER Strongman competition of course!

My gym where I normally train needed a weekend off after hosting the meet, so I was going to just train on my own. Then I head that Big Tex Gym was having a "grand re-opening" and a BBQ. In addition to lots of sponsors and giveaways and an open house, they also hosted an informal push/pull powerlifting meet and a strongman competition! It was $5 entry fee, INCLUDING a plate of BBQ, so I was practically making money by going. I decided to just go, have fun, not worry about any PRs and just have a fun training day.

There were 3 women who signed up. One woman was a powerlifter and this was her first time trying strongman. She was super sweet and one of those people with a great attitude that just loves hanging out with other people who like to pick up heavy things. This sounds sappy but it was truly a joy to compete with her. The other woman had done one or two strongman competitions before and she was also really nice. I thought she was going to be at a disadvantage because she was significantly lighter than us, but actually she still kicked ass and gave us a run for our money.

There were also about 20 men there competing, all of events were fairly light/doable because the competition was designed to be fun, for beginners, and to get people excited about strongman. It was awesome! I think more gyms should consider doing smaller, "unsanctioned" meets exactly for this purpose. It ran quickly (we were done in 3.5 hours!) and everyone seemed to have a great time.

Okay the events (and women's weight):

1. Yoke carry 250# for 50ft 

2. Sand bag carry 25ft (100#), Sand bag carry 25ft (125#) , sled push 25ft (I don't know maybe 175#?)

I had so much momentum pushing the sled across the finish line I almost crashed into a truck LOL

3. Log Clean and Press Away (120#) for reps

This was my best event! I either got 5 or 6 reps I don't remember

4. Farmer's handles max Deadlift, 3 attempts 

I did not strategize this well haha but no worries. I did 250#, 290#, 350#. And 350# still felt fairly light, I probably could push a 1RM close to 400# (200# per hand). Good to know for next time!

5. Atlas Stones 48" bar for reps (115#)

I forgot my duck tape again! And the other girls didn't even know that's a thing you might need, so we all tore up our forearms together. A few of the men were able load to the 220# stone for reps with no tape or tacky! I was super impressed by that.

So overall, this small informal competition ended up being one of the most fun ones I've ever done! I took 1st place overall, one point ahead of 2nd. It was a surprise because I hadn't even been really paying attention to scores. (Lol that's why I don't know any of my times).

Oh and by the way... Pro Strongman Brian Vickers was there to run the competition! He was super nice, encouraging, and did a great job streamlining the meet. He did small demonstrations before each event for anyone that was new, and wouldn't let people quit if they still had time left :D

• Like 4

I was on vacation (again) and TOTALLY missed this update. That sounds like a blast, to have a fun competition that does not try to wipe you out! Congrats on taking 1st place! Oh and on the um free BBQ. ;) That alone would have gotten me in the door. Although it's gonna be years before I can lift like that. I also LOVE that you are wearing a nerdy t-shirt. Seeing that is making my day. Nerd shirts for the win! You got some guns going on under that thing too. 

What's next on your lifting agenda? 

• Like 1

On July 7, 2016 at 0:48 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I was on vacation (again) and TOTALLY missed this update. That sounds like a blast, to have a fun competition that does not try to wipe you out! Congrats on taking 1st place! Oh and on the um free BBQ. ;) That alone would have gotten me in the door. Although it's gonna be years before I can lift like that. I also LOVE that you are wearing a nerdy t-shirt. Seeing that is making my day. Nerd shirts for the win! You got some guns going on under that thing too. 

What's next on your lifting agenda? 

Haha thanks! I'm pretty sure my best lifting days are when I'm wearing something geeky. :D

I am actually starting a 15 week training program for my first powerlifting meet in October! I won't be doing 4 week challenges for a while, probably just posting in my daily battle log, which is still under my old "Albeus51" name. BTW  - does anyone know if there any way to edit the text of a post "Topic"?

Anyway my shenanigans will be posted HERE for the time being.