Rilla reports in for her first official challenge!

Rilla

Hello!  I've been a long time lurker, but am going to take this opportunity to join in my first challenge.  I've joined the NFA, and will be working through the missions there.  To not overload myself (a key to success for me I think!) I'm doing the following for the next few weeks:

1) Exercise every day in some way:  Running, Yoga, eventually lifting (running 3-4 times a week, others on the off days).  Even if it is only for 15 minutes.  Building a habit is the most important in this case.  I've been doing this lately, so I think four weeks is in reach.  We'll see!  To get the Gold for this challenge, I won't skip.  A silver skips no more than twice, bronze no more than four times.  Anything more, and I'll still give myself kudos for trying!!!

2) Track all my food:  I'm doing this on myfitnesspal.  I've noticed that when I give myself a pass on this, all my food standards go out the door... goodbye apples and hello icecream!  So, myfitnesspal (and apples), here I come.  Same standard as above for Gold/Silver/Bronze/Kudos.

3) No liquid calories:  I've cut the soda down to nothing in the past week - now I just need to keep it that way.  This one is definitely possible if I can just keep at it - and as long as I have caffeinated peppermints to keep away the headache.  Same standard for G/S/B/K as above.

I'm starting with these three.   I'm trying to get ready for a big hiking/camping trip with my family at the end of June, so I want to be sure I can keep up with my family!  My father, uncles, sisters-in-law, and brothers are all really fit, so I don't want to be the one huffing and puffing when we're in the Narrows at Zion National Park!

There are so many more things that I could work on, but I'm taking the NFA "small steps" motto to heart this time. 

Wish me luck!!!

Rilla - Rebel, aspiring Scout/Adventurer

Thanks for all the support and the well wishes!

Day one went very well - definitely got in my exercise!  We went for a 9 mile hike and boy are my feet tired!  But it's good practice, it was beautiful outside, and although pretty hot, was in the shade most of the time.  It's not quite as long as the longest hike we'll take, so I'm definitely back to run/jog/walking, especially hills, but maybe I'll give myself a pass and do yoga tomorrow morning. :) 

No issues with points two and three.  A minor victory on the eve of the challenge though - I ended up at an event with drinks, and I used my drink tickets for water.  I was pretty proud of myself for not thinking "it's the last night before the challenge!  hurry, drink some soda!"

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll end up checking in nightly - my job is pretty demanding during the week and sometimes I don't even log in to my computer at home.  But I'll make a point to do so as often as I can!

Good luck out there to my fellow Rebels!

• Like 1

Good luck with your challenge! And congrats for not getting that soda. It can be really tempting, especially if you need the caffiene. 

I hope you have all the fun possible at Zion National Park! It's so beautiful there! It's amazing!

• Like 1

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

@Guzzi and @Bookish_badger

Thanks for checking in!  Things have been going pretty well, actually!  I've logged all my food, even those on the days where I ate all of the things.  Which happened. :)

I've also been successful in saying no to calorie drinks, except on Father's day, when my dad asked to split some fresh squeezed pineapple juice.  Not so bad.  Although I think this rule is going to be broken - I'm about to go on a desert hiking trip, where they recommend drinking sportsdrinks to keep yourself from getting heat stroke.  I probably won't try my luck and i'll just give myself a pass for that part of the challenge.

More amazingly, at least to me, is that I have kept up with the exercise every day portion of my challenge.  I've either gone running, hiking, or done yoga every day for the past three weeks.  Even if that meant yoga was just a 6 minute mini-session.  At least it was something!  

So - my apologies for not checking in - I have a hard time logging on to my computer at the end of the work day.  But I'm off to Zion National Park in less than 48 hours!  So far, so good!

Thanks again for the support!

~Rilla

• Like 2

Have fun at Zion! Maybe you could switch on and off? A sports drink and then refill the bottle with water once (or twice) before throwing it away and getting another sports drink? Gatorade has about 450ml of sodium per liter, and you lose about 900ml of sodium per liter of sweat, so you can use that math to help. I don't remember doing a lot of sweating in Zion, but you might be hiking different trails. Are you going to get your feet wet? We didn't do that, but I really wanted to! 

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

Looking good! And I agree with you about the pass for the sports drinks, though @Jane Eyre Is My Patronus's suggestion of switching with water is really good. 

I hope you have fun on the trip, I am seriously envious of you right now! ;)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 6/28/2016 at 9:29 AM, Rilla said:

More amazingly, at least to me, is that I have kept up with the exercise every day portion of my challenge.  I've either gone running, hiking, or done yoga every day for the past three weeks.  Even if that meant yoga was just a 6 minute mini-session.  At least it was something!  

That's and awesome feat ! Maybe by now you're already addicted to some physical activities. Because I know I do ! It's like an itch for moving or something haha

[ Rzqnzhf ][ Half-Elves ][ Level - 1 ]

[ STR - 3 ] [ DEX - 1 ] [ STA - 1 ] [ CON - 2 ] [ WIS - 1 ] [ CHA - 0 ]

Setting Up the First Player

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world"

And...the results are in (belatedly).

1) Exercise every day in some way:  Running, Yoga, eventually lifting (running 3-4 times a week, others on the off days).  Even if it is only for 15 minutes.  Building a habit is the most important in this case.  I've been doing this lately, so I think four weeks is in reach.  We'll see!  To get the Gold for this challenge, I won't skip.  A silver skips no more than twice, bronze no more than four times.  Anything more, and I'll still give myself kudos for trying!!!
.....Gold!  I didn't skip at all, even if it meant just doing a quick 6 minute NF Yoga video.

2) Track all my food:  I'm doing this on myfitnesspal.  I've noticed that when I give myself a pass on this, all my food standards go out the door... goodbye apples and hello icecream!  So, myfitnesspal (and apples), here I come.  Same standard as above for Gold/Silver/Bronze/Kudos.
....Gold!  No skips. :)  I even tracked everything while in Las Vegas at an all-you-can-eat buffet.  Not that it stopped me from eating, but I wrote down every darn thing.

3) No liquid calories:  I've cut the soda down to nothing in the past week - now I just need to keep it that way.  This one is definitely possible if I can just keep at it - and as long as I have caffeinated peppermints to keep away the headache.  Same standard for G/S/B/K as above.
....Silver!  Just one skip.  I had a drink of pineapple juice with my dad on Father's day.  Pretty understandable and hard to say no because then he'd not order one for himself since I was paying for dinner.  So technically silver, because rules, but am happy with my choice.

And for loot - I bought myself an Instapot pressure cooker. :)  Yay!

Ok - I'm going to join the next challenge (since i missed the last one.  Thanks all, for the encouragement along the way!

~Rilla