• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Owlet

Harder Better Faster Stronger: The Owlet Edition

Harder Better Faster Stronger!

a great song for working out to, and also what I'm aspiring to!

Looks like I'm going with a Daft Punk theme this time around lol. Better find a picture, hmmmm...

matthias-clamer_daft-punk-cocktails-3.jp

An interesting take on the classic beach body, but since it's mid-winter here the clothing is about right ;) Anyway, the point is I'm going to work out like a machine while it's cold and miserable so by the time summer rolls around I can lounge around drinking cocktails with umbrellas (let's be honest, it'll probably be a beer, slightly warm, with sand in it.) Actually this outfit will probably still be appropriate in summer, my city isn't exactly renowned for it's summers. Or beaches for that matter. I'm getting very off track. I'm not good at themes ok.

Main Quest: as mentioned before, become Harder, Better, Faster and Stronger! The last few challenges have been more about life goals, less about fitness, and I'm feeling the itch to get back into challenging myself physically. Much progress was made in the life area but I need a break. No doubt life will throw something in my path but at least I can try and focus on the physical for a bit!

Fitness Goals: (Faster Stronger! Literally!)

• Complete 1 bodyweight workout per week, with increases in reps or difficulty each week
  • Complete 1 workout incorporating 'animal movements' (Gold Medal Bodies) per week, increase difficulty
  • Handstand practice 5 days per week, 10 minutes (planking, wall stands to start with)
  • 1 yoga session per week, either guided or using a video at home
  • 1 run per week, unless it literally rains every day (not impossible at this time of year)
  • Research new workouts, exercises etc, find yoga videos/programs 

Diet Goals: (Harder! As in, less fluff more buff)

• 4 grain-free dinners per week. Upping this from the 3-per-week I did last challenge
  • 2 grain-free days per week. While I'm at it, might as well do whole days eh
  • track what I'm eating. Because I'm curious and because I think this makes me behave better with my eating.
  • research diet - I think I eat pretty well, I cook most of my own food and it's pretty healthy. But I'd like to know more about how much protein etc I should be eating, and intermittent fasting and all that kind of stuff. 

Level up your Life Goals: (Better! In general! lol)

• Meditate every day, morning and evening. I got out of practice with this during the last challenge
  • In bed by 11pm, lights out by 11:45. Also got out of the habit with this, sleep is not going well lately.
  • Make an effort to see my friends. This means at least one catch up with a friend every week. I neglected a lot of my friends for the last couple of months as I was flat out painting. I worry about losing them though, and I don't want to be that person who only contacts friends when they need support - I want to be there for my friends when they need support too.
  • Start journaling again, specifically about good stuff. I tend to not write unless I am having a bad time, but that means I end up with a book full of pain and hurt and forget all the good stuff. As it is, I tend to remember traumatic stuff far better than happy stuff, which is a bit shit really. I want to concentrate more on being happy. Will try to do this once a week.

Not grading anything at this stage, since last time I did that I got too stressed out about high scores and sabotaged my overall quest to be happy and at peace. Might try and work in some rewards though since I'm not very good at that and because winter is grim and I can get pretty down sometimes. I'd really like to go horse riding but it's difficult getting to any of the riding schools around here as I don't have a car. Need to work out some kind of solution. 

I'm struggling to maintain a coherent theme here sorry guys! But hey, here's a gif that incorporates Daft Punk and ponies, double win!

giphy.gif

• Like 6

Your title made me burst out laughing. I'm going to blame lack of sleep. ;) But yaaaaaaay Owlet thread! Going grain-free sounds so hard. Go you!

• Like 2

Just now, fleaball said:

Your title made me burst out laughing. I'm going to blame lack of sleep. ;) But yaaaaaaay Owlet thread! Going grain-free sounds so hard. Go you!

I'm going to ignore the lack of sleep comment and claim it muhahaha! And damn I just realised I should've put 'research new recipe ideas' in there too so I don't end up eating the same thing 3 nights in a row lol. 'Cause that's totally what I do sometimes.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Owlet said:

I'm going to ignore the lack of sleep comment and claim it muhahaha! And damn I just realised I should've put 'research new recipe ideas' in there too so I don't end up eating the same thing 3 nights in a row lol. 'Cause that's totally what I do sometimes.

Ha I only included that in case it wasn't supposed to be amusing. =P I totally hear you on the food thing. I'll make a gigantic batch of something and wind up eating it for days. and/or just make the same thing every day for a week for other meals. Super lame. 

• Like 1

Thanks Dreamspin! I hope I got this lol. 

So after all my big talk of concentrating on physical stuff this time around my mind obviously felt left out and decided to cause a stir yesterday. Got all upset over nothing, and knew it was nothing, but still couldn't stop crying. I'm counting yesterday as part of week zero and starting the challenge today, take that mind! Severely sleep deprived and still feeling a bit shit but at least the sun is shining and I will hopefully get in a nice walk at lunchtime. 

11 hours ago, fleaball said:

Boo, owlet brain! Booooo! :( I hope the day gets better. 

It did get better thanks, just took a while heh. Went for a very non-exerting walk at lunchtime, more to get some sunshine than actually exercise. Then meditated after work and did my 10 minutes handstand training. Managed to get a bit more to the bottom of why I was upset yesterday and actually felt better after that. Stupid brain and insecurities. Constantly amazed at the lies my brain tells me. 

Very pleasant evening though - Game of Thrones night with the flat mates, which means delicious cheese and other snacks. And then they brought out a birthday cake for me :D a week early but one of my flat mates is out of town for my actual birthday. Best ambush surprise cake ever haha. Definitely not a grain-free day lol, although dinner was. 

cake_the_cat_by_tinystrawberri-d4evh64.g

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Dreamspin said:

That sounds like a fun night, happy early birthday! :-) 

Thanks! It was indeed fun. Especially since the neighbour's cat came to visit for the evening and cuddled up next to me :D aafbdaf77c0becc21807d33a9a0de88e.jpg

Good day today. Finally managed to get a decent sleep last night - I read Buddhist theory/history to put myself to sleep lol. Hopefully some of it stuck but if not, at least it made me sleepy. 

Grain-free today! Relatively easy, partly because I had leftovers for lunch so didn't have to panic eat grains. Did bodyweight workout and managed 3 set of 10 full pushups (I say full... really that just means I didn't rest my knees on the ground, but I also didn't lower myself very far) Super stoked cause I couldn't even do one at the start of this year. 

Meditated before and after work, and did some extra planks and random exercises for handstand training. Just checked facebook and feel icky - I really need to stop doing that, most of the posts there just make me angry or depressed at the state of the world. NF is great though. Time to research new workouts and diet stuff. Oh yeah and a book I ordered ages ago finally arrived today yay! Final book in the Dune series, so pumped. 

• Like 4

Caught up with 2 friends today, one over lunch and one over dinner and then watch Harry Potter :D Hadn't seen either of them in ages and it was so great to catch up and rant and laugh. Also stopped me feeling so paranoid that maybe I've been too hermit-y and my friends have all moved on. So long as I've got these two though, it'll be fine. After all:

68179f2d765b75cff135de189fd17ee0.jpg

Also meditated, and ate pretty much grain-free all day except dinner since my friend made pasta. Didn't eat very much though cause it felt all heavy in my stomach. Ice cream felt much better ;) oops. 

No exercise today, gonna have to make more effort over the next few days to get my goals in. Bedtime is still a work in progress - managed lights out by 11:30 on monday but closer to 12:30 last night. Been reading Buddhist theory before bed in an effort to switch my brain off. I figure I will either learn useful stuff or fall asleep, so it's a win either way lol.

• Like 4

Today was... a day. Mostly pretty boring to be honest, just work, then animal movements at lunch time, then more work. Eating felt like a chore today even though I didn't eat much and should've been hungry due to working out? I dunno. Mostly grain-free anyway, apart from some corn chips - I don't even know if they count, but they felt heavy in my stomach so I guess so. God I'm becoming so boring, I can't even eat corn chips happily anymore? Ah well, so long as I can eat chocolate and cheese ;)

Finally saw the friend I had a falling out with last week. She invited me over for a drink after work with a couple of old work mates and my immediate reaction was nuuu I've got too much else to do tonight and also aghhhh scary/awkward/uncomfortable don't wanna NOPE. But the more I thought about it the more I knew I should go - we'd patched things up via text but face-to-face time is really the only way to mend a friendship, and better sooner rather than later. Plus she's moving out of town for a while tomorrow. And it was actually ok. I think having other people there was good, meant we didn't have to talk about anything sensitive and instead just enjoy each other's company. Still not totally over it but at least the ball is rolling now and hopefully at some stage we'll be back to normal. 

So that's 3 friends in 2 days, definitely achieving that goal lol! At some point I want to get back to doing more art but I guess it's kind of nice to take a wee break for now. Went to a Buddhist meeting tonight and a lady gave a great talk about her experience of putting on a solo art exhibition recently. So good to hear someone else - a proper artist and adult lol - talk about the stress of doing something like that and all the self doubts and second guessing and wanting to call the whole thing off etc... made me feel a lot better about how emotional I was about putting my paintings in the group show last month. And although I wasn't so happy with my experience, hearing how successful she has become and also how she still gets all the psychological shit but was able to overcome it, was really encouraging. So maybe at some point I'll put myself out there again and show some work. ugh..

In other news, failing at bedtime goal a bit. Managed it on monday but been late since then. There's just so much to read and watch and dooo I don't wanna sleep dammit! And the reward for waking up is I get to go to work lol, so that isn't exactly a great incentive to wake up early. sleeping-kitty-cat.jpg

• Like 4

Working week is over :D phew. Ate grain-free all of today except for a slice of birthday cake just now. Meditation X2 done. Went for a lunchtime walk/run and did some cartwheels and handstands. So cold and windy though it gave me a headache, even with the sun shining. Did some research into pistol squats and will be adopting the Gold Medal Bodies progression. Would love to find something similar for walkovers - I've always wanted to be able to do a walkover but never managed it. Can do a handstand into a bridge but don't have nearly enough core strength to get any further. 

Bit of a meh day to be honest. I did at least book a horse riding lesson for next week though :) Already so excited. 

• Like 2

Week 1 Roundup:

Fitness Goals: (Faster Stronger! Literally!)

• Complete 1 bodyweight workout per week, with increases in reps or difficulty each week Done
  • Complete 1 workout incorporating 'animal movements' (Gold Medal Bodies) per week, increase difficulty Done
  • Handstand practice 5 days per week, 10 minutes (planking, wall stands to start with) Done
  • 1 yoga session per week, either guided or using a video at home Done
  • 1 run per week, unless it literally rains every day (not impossible at this time of year)  Done
  • Research new workouts, exercises etc, find yoga videos/programs  Done

Woo all green! Run was very short but still technically a run and the first in a while so hopefully will help me get back into the habit. Yoga was hard! I looked up ashtanga yoga on youtube and went with the first video where the voice of the person taking the class didn't annoy me (I'm fussy like that). Turned out to be 90 minutes long and definitely not beginner level. I stopped at the 60 minute mark because I had other stuff to do with my day and they were putting their ankles behind their head lol. I am rather sore today - mainly my hip flexors, which I find weird since I don't remember using them but I guess I must've. Looking up exercises to relieve pain and strengthen hip flexors, looks like I need to strengthen my glutes - which I was meant to be doing anyway as well as various hip stabilising muscles to help avoid ankle and knee problems. 

Diet Goals: (Harder! As in, less fluff more buff)

• 4 grain-free dinners per week. Upping this from the 3-per-week I did last challenge Done
  • 2 grain-free days per week. While I'm at it, might as well do whole days eh Done
  • track what I'm eating. Because I'm curious and because I think this makes me behave better with my eating. Done-ish (need to track last few days oops)
  • research diet - I think I eat pretty well, I cook most of my own food and it's pretty healthy. But I'd like to know more about how much protein etc I should be eating, and intermittent fasting and all that kind of stuff.  Forgot this goal oops

Level up your Life Goals: (Better! In general! lol)

• Meditate every day, morning and evening. I got out of practice with this during the last challenge Done, mostly (only once per day over weekend)
  • In bed by 11pm, lights out by 11:45. Also got out of the habit with this, sleep is not going well lately. Poor. 
  • Make an effort to see my friends. This means at least one catch up with a friend every week. I neglected a lot of my friends for the last couple of months as I was flat out painting. I worry about losing them though, and I don't want to be that person who only contacts friends when they need support - I want to be there for my friends when they need support too. Done for sure lol, saw friends wednesday, thursday, friday, saturday, sunday.
  • Start journaling again, specifically about good stuff. I tend to not write unless I am having a bad time, but that means I end up with a book full of pain and hurt and forget all the good stuff. As it is, I tend to remember traumatic stuff far better than happy stuff, which is a bit shit really. I want to concentrate more on being happy. Will try to do this once a week. Nope

Not bad for week 1, I achieved all my fitness goals, most of my diet goals, and most of my side quests. Mood was a bit up and down (when is it not :() but I found having lots of physical goals was actually a nice distraction and often a positive part of my day. Birthday was also a nice highlight, spent the evening with a few friends just hanging out and played some board games. Wee bit gutted because I just realised I'm going to have to cancel the horse riding lesson on wednesday - I completely forgot that I'm going to a screening of Aliens that night. First world problems I know, but I was just really looking forward to horseriding and now I won't be able to go for a couple of weeks. Still, the horses aren't going anywhere and I've waited this long, I can wait a lil longer! Here's to week 1.

• Like 4

Another bleh day... I think I need something big to look forward to/work towards. I feel like I don't have any direction/purpose lately. (but also don't feel like doing anything in particular)

On the plus side though, I made two phone calls just now (ugh) to re-book horse riding lesson for a different day and make a physiotherapy appointment to get my back checked out - a recurring injury that I'm pretty sure is due to my abysmal posture but I tweaked it doing yoga the other day and it just occurred to me that now I can claim accident compensation on it and hopefully get it fixed at last (or at least learn how to avoid tweaking it so often) So yay for silver linings and yay for beating fear-of-phone calls once again.  

Stayed away from grains and carbs all day, even though work was heaving with delicious treats, phew. And now to watch game of thrones and have kitty cuddles with the neighbour's cat :) Bad day became good day. 

• Like 2

You could always come visit and do the Spartan with us. ;) That's a goal. 

High five for phone calls and kitties! Sorry for the general bleh though. Makes sense coming down from the stress and excitement of the art show, but that doesn't make it any better. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Hi Owlet! Your Week 1 summary has so much green! That's awesome! 

Thank you :) Yeah I actually did pretty well with goals, not entirely sure why I've been feeling bleh. Onwards and upwards though eh.

15 hours ago, fleaball said:

You could always come visit and do the Spartan with us. ;) That's a goal. 

High five for phone calls and kitties! Sorry for the general bleh though. Makes sense coming down from the stress and excitement of the art show, but that doesn't make it any better. 

Haha man that would be cool! I don't even know what's involved in a Spartan but I'm sure it would be fun!

Yeah you're probably right, I think I just expected to be over that by now. Guess I'm not ha. Still, short week next week cause I'm visiting my Dad and will get to have kitty cuddles, dog pats, horse cuddles and whatever it is you do with sheep - feed them probably lol. Looking forward to a mini-holiday.

Another grain-free day today (apart from a slice of birthday cake...my friend baked one and brought it over on saturday, just as we'd finally finished the first one lol. Can't bear to waste it so eating it I am!) Made a delicious soup for dinner - yam and ginger. Than watched an episode of Vikings. Droool.

Did bodyweight workout today and handstand practice. My arms/wrists/shoulders are still so weak. Can barely hold a wall stand for a few seconds. Baby steps.

Morning and evening meditation done. Not always very focused but still beneficial. 

Shoulder/back still pretty sore, hoping the physio session on friday helps.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Owlet said:

Haha man that would be cool! I don't even know what's involved in a Spartan but I'm sure it would be fun!

Running/walking 3-5 miles and obstacles (or burpees if you can't complete the obstacles). Jooooooin us. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Running/walking 3-5 miles and obstacles (or burpees if you can't complete the obstacles). Jooooooin us. 

My explanation was just going to be "death" but this is a little more detailed. 

• Like 2