Alexandrite Does It All For Stardew

Yes, it does come in quite handy to have Dr. Focker and his PT skills, haha. Now if only I could convince him to let me go elsewhere for a massage! He likes giving them to me and he is pretty good at it, but I always want the hour long relief that a regular massage gives and he is usually only able to do about 5-10 minutes before an interruption happens or his hands get tired (since he uses them for work too). I consider myself lucky though.

The game self control is hard. Luckily Stardew Valley is like Harvest Moon in that it plays in "real time" so I can play through one day in the game for about 15-20 minutes of gameplay. I am usually able to get about two or three days in and then the kids need something, the baby wakes up, it is time to do a meal, or something. I am able to "accomplish" something from start to finish in a game day or two, so that helps with satisfaction, haha.

Saturday:

Dishes - 5

Volunteer stuff - 5

WaniKani - 5

Laundry - 5

Family Fun Day - 5

Swimming for kids with others - 5

Gameplay time - 20 minutes

Bank Status Currently - 0

This is fathers day weekend so it is all up to Dr. Focker.

Finally, week 1 was pretty successful overall in trying out this challenge idea. I like the format and I feel less stress and more rewarded. Week 2 I will have a super epic goal of doing squats at least once a day every day. If I can do that I will earn some "encouragement" game time. I am apparently just fine at adulting and learning and even friending stuff when we get down to it, but the physical stuff I am not pushing myself on.

Sent by my Navi-powered device!

• Like 5

Ugh oh the long massage, how I would love that. Maybe start giving the hubbs hand rubs to promote longer back rubs? Lol anything to get that "put me to sleep" long massage. And fantastic week 1! Success through gaming really is amazing. Who would have thought it could be easier to take care of the body by rewarding with games instead of food. Love it here ❤️

• Like 1

Just a quick thought, summary later:

I have 11% left on my phone as I hide in the bathtub from the craziness downstairs (Dr. Focker is giving me unwind time). What do I do? WaniKani reviews, because I want those game minutes.

I may have also spent 4% of that battery searching for an appropriate gif before I came to my senses...

Priorities.

• Like 5

your challenge is going so great! I am, as always,  in awe of your productivity.

my husband was kinda touching my back yesterday and I got ticklish, and he said "oh well, guess that's too bad for backrubs..." and I was like: "WAIT A MINUTE I THINK IT MEANS WE JUST HAVE TO PRACTICE MORE." 

but, yeah. I mostly try to schedule massages. :)

• Like 2

So Monday:

Lots of adulting - 15

Laundry - 5

Gardening - 10 (see note below)

Some squats - 3 (for effort)

Thank you cards - 5

Dinner - 5

WaniKani - 5

Maybe some other stuff but I cant remember.

Game Time Played - 30 min

Bank Status - 18 min

So the reason for the bump on gardening yesterday was because I almost gave up on it. First time out we were outside maybe 10 min before baby woke up, son buried himself in dirt and got upset about being dirty, and daughter wanted food so she faked having to go poopy which made us all have to go inside. I took care of everyone, loaded the baby into the baby carrier on my chest, and got my frustrated, tired butt back out there. We gardened for another hour of just minor weeding, covering potatoes with more straw, and caring for some planta getting choked by weeds. Earing raspberries happened early on, they are yummy. Cherries were not so sweet so we let the birds go for them. AND THEN! When Dr. Focker got home I went back out and set up sprinklers for the lawn, fixed the drip lines for the garden, and watered everything. He actually suggested if I wanted to I could get a sitter in the morning so I could go garden without worrying about the kids. I think I will just have some patience and grace and understand that a new house, new baby, and huge garden are not all going to = success that year, haha.

I also made dinner from practically nothing and we didnt go out to eat, win!

Today is shaping up well with more tallies. Havent done squats yet because I feel off today, sore throat and head cold type symptoms. =( Mama got worn down I think. Off to rest and relax.

• Like 3

Been having thoughts lately about what causes me to beat myself up so much on little excuses and failures when overall I am succeeding beyond a lot of normal levels. I just don't want to be seen as lacking in who I define myself as, I suppose. Or I have pretty high mental standards for myself that don't match up with reality? Either way, the fact that I still have not consistently done my squatting exercises has been bothering me. And then tonight I realized that I actually HAD done them, out in the garden last night as I planted sweet potato slips and weeded and set up more drip line. It may have not been perfect form but there is a reason why the squats are my target exercise right now. It is good for my body. And I tend to do them naturally in a lot of different settings. It felt good to acknowledge this aspect.

Anyway, let's beat down the inner voices that tell us we aren't doing good enough. I need that energy and focus for something else. I have been frazzled, stressed out, unable to handle the demands my children are putting on me, and feeling sick because my body is not coping well. No amount of taking baths or hiding out to read or game play will help me with this one.

I feel like such a poser. But you know what? Who I am needs to be something I want to be, not something I always will be.

• Like 5

Okay - in all seriousness, you are my hero. I have a hard enough time keeping patient with my 4 year old nephew (The kid is the light of my life, but a week with him is exhausting), and you are doing so well on all your goals on TOP of being a mother of three. 

You parents out there like that are awesome and true superheroes.

• Like 3

Thank you. I guess I should mention a few factors to my success:

Dr. Focker - I pull the "another person with functional hands, I NEED your help!" card a lot. He does everything that falls by the wayside, including recycling (I could care less about it when I am surrounded by child chaos).

My ADHD?: I don't talk about this... at all...anywhere. Back when I was a senior in high school my parents put me through testing for it and the lady said I have it but I had created so many coping mechanisms and was so high functioning she couldn't classify it. So I brushed it off as the medical world being dumb about stuff again. At that point I had already gotten into college despite having a low GPA and didnt really care. However, I read an article yesterday about adults with ADHD and a LOT of the observations and comments rang true to my life. I walk around the house and spend 5 minutes on 8 different things at a time, eventually getting them all done before Dr. Focker gets home. OR I stop myself in the middle of doing something, I have no idea why I am doing it, and Ive lost all train of thought on things I really need to get done. So my successes and failures on NF quests really reflect the way my brain works like this. I do a set of squats, then get distracted by doing three other things and remember them only later in the day. Or I start writing a letter and stand up to stretch, end up vacuuming a room, stop to get a drink, start cooking a meal, then remember the letter and try to go back to finishing it, then accidentally burn food or forget an ingredient. And the vacuum is still staring at me. Haha.

I have learned that Dr. Focker helps balance me out in my tendencies. I take on way too much and he helps me pare it down and focus one thing each day that we feel is important. Anything else I get done beyond that is something extra. And I write stuff down more. And I do the NF forums more frequently than FB becauae it is better for recording instead of getting distracted. =)

• Like 4

Do you get that hyper focus, too? ADHD in adults can be really serious and make everything a lot more difficult than it has to be. And it's never too late to get help, if you want that. It sounds like you're really getting a lot of stuff done regardless, but I totally get your feeling of it not being enough. Especially when I move from one thing to the next and back again without real structure I feel like I wasted lots of my energy on moving between things instead of getting stuff done. Even if I did get stuff done ;)

Anyways, glad you're still going strong :)

• Like 2

ADHD makes housework a completely different ballgame. I started to make myself breakfast, turned on the burner, set the pan on it and somehow found myself in the bathroom brushing my teeth. Nothing burned up since nothing was int he pan, but still, how does that even happen?! I ran a whole load of laundry the other day but had forgotten to put any soap in. I started running a myself a nice hot bath, stepped out of the room for a second to grab ?? and when I came back found the tub almost full - of COLD water. 

You are amazing. I can barely manage myself, husband, and dog. I really don't know how you do it with kids.

And, persoanlly, when I got diagnosed last year with ADHD, it changed everything! It can be really helpful to know that your brain just works differently and it's not that there is something wrong with you. It helps to stop all the questioning about why something simple like doing the dishes is nothing to other people but is a huge challenge for you (me!). ADHD brains just work differently. We have other amazing talents that are way cooler than dishes anyway ;) I wonder if having recently had a baby has effected your ADHD?

• Like 3

Thanks so much for all the sharing. Good to know that locking myself out of my house or car habitually is totally normal for this and not being able to finish dishes without expending 3x willpower is also. I never thought about the pregnancies making things worse/changing things. I will have to look into that more!

Because I am exhausted and have a raging headache (screaming kids + obvious food reaction to some jerky) I am skipping the tally for today. I cleaned kitchen and mounds of dishes, got the house put together for guests, and enjoyed our little a/c unit as it got warmer today. Dr. Focker is sweating it out upstairs but I refuse to suffer when cold air is available.

Planted sweet potatoes yesterday, set up drip line for them, and tested it today. It works! Yaaaaaay. Also, big news on the homesteading front. My father has a friend getting rid of a $1500+ chicken coop. I guess it was their experiment and now they want it gone, so we get it for free if we come take it apart and haul it off! 4th july weekend we will take a trailer over and bring it back. Not sure if Im ready for chickens but hey, its a super nice coop. Cant turn down the opportunity!

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

Okay - in all seriousness, you are my hero. I have a hard enough time keeping patient with my 4 year old nephew (The kid is the light of my life, but a week with him is exhausting), and you are doing so well on all your goals on TOP of being a mother of three. 

You parents out there like that are awesome and true superheroes.

I can't even have a proper conversation with a child! It just feels weird to me. If they try to interact me, I usually give them a dirty look so they get scared and leave me alone :D So yeah, handling 3 kids is a superpower itself.

I don't know much about ADHD, but seeking help might be a good idea. I've heard a lot of positive experiences with medicines.

I'm so excited for your sweet potatoes! I really want to try them out, but can't seem to find any :( I wonder if I can grow them in a pot (I live in an apartment and I don't have a garden).

• Like 1

I can't even have a proper conversation with a child! It just feels weird to me. If they try to interact me, I usually give them a dirty look so they get scared and leave me alone So yeah, handling 3 kids is a superpower itself.

I don't know much about ADHD, but seeking help might be a good idea. I've heard a lot of positive experiences with medicines.

I'm so excited for your sweet potatoes! I really want to try them out, but can't seem to find any I wonder if I can grow them in a pot (I live in an apartment and I don't have a garden).

Thank you! I did do medication for a short time back in high school and it absolutely sucked. Changed my behavior and moods negatively, and I didn't feel like myself at all. So I stopped when i got to college. I have a degree and I did quite well without, so I think just figuring out new ways to help me now is best.

Also, check out this for growing sweet potatoes in buckets! http://fivegallonideas.com/growing-sweet-potatoes/

Finally, coop picture from previous owner;

17942f69d114a68a97d261de041f9c61.jpg

• Like 3

I haven't felt much like getting on here and updating lately. But here is yesterday:

Mowed lawn while wearing baby - 5

Cooked breakfast - 5

Vacuumed upstairs - 5

Started work on moving office stuff from guestroom to upstairs "library" - 5

Laundry (because 2 of 3 kids pottied themselves) - 5

Skipped nap to write an important reference letter for someone - 5

Dishes done before bed!! - 5

WaniKani throughout day - 5

It was a very successful day overall, plus Dr. Focker and I have had lots of time to talk and enjoy not being interrupted now that our bedroom is separate from the Little Ones. I didnt get any game play time in, so bank is at 40. I probably wont be able to play much in general now because the in-laws arrive by RV today to stay in town until September. I am fortunate enough to have wonderful in laws, but Dr. Focker is a funny and stubborn man at times, and he got it from his parents. I need to grow some thicker skin before they get here.

I will update as possible, but forgive me if I havent caught up on your challenge threads. I will try to get there!

• Like 4
On 24.6.2016 at 3:25 PM, Alexandrite said:

I am fortunate enough to have wonderful in laws, but Dr. Focker is a funny and stubborn man at times, and he got it from his parents

That's such a nice way to word it :) I hope you'll have a good time.

• Like 2

Okay, we are just going to skip over the weekend... it was my daughter's birthday, in-laws arrived, other family friends arrived, nothing went as planned but it all turned out okay, and life will be fine.

Monday:

Cleaned house in general, kitchen specifically - 5

Laundry - 5

Cooked meals - 5

I dont really care about listing anything more right now. I have had a terrible bout of postpartum depression/exhaustion hit Sunday night, and I can't seem to shake the emotional funk. I feel okay now because I've had my cry, but I still have lingering feels. And everyone around me expects me to just "be normal" especially Dr. Focker right now because he is under stress from guests and such too. It has been ridiculously hot again (90s) and no a/c upstairs is pissing me off in irrational ways.

Anyway, I will spare the emotional regurgitation and just say I will sleep, wake up, do what I can, keep my kids alive, and repeat until I can figure things out. The cycle of guilt for feeling the way I do even though I have so many blessings in life is definitely eating me up. If anyone has any encouragement (especially if it is bible based, but any and all) that would be great.

And if you're curious, no, I haven't had any substantial time to myself in many weeks. I give up naps so I can get stuff done or I take naps so I feel a bit better only to fall behind on financial or errand stuff. Seriously feel like I am life-drowning here.

• Like 1

I don't know if I have a lot of words of encouragement, but I have loads of sympathy and empathy. Because my husband has some serious mental issues dealing with undefined, loud noises (like babies crying), I constantly feel like I can't have time to myself and right now, this is wearing on me quite a bit.

I guess my encouragement is that it's ok to be upset about things regardless of the good things you have. And you're not alone and we can get though it. :)  (I have to keep reminding myself of all of the beautiful baby smiles - that's what keeps me going some days.)

<3

• Like 3