Buck Does Just About the Same | Part 6

UnknownUser

1. Sleep; Get in bed before 11 PM or as early as 10:30.

Gotta get that sleep. I'm still shooting for 10:30, but shooting for earlier seems to help occasionally. If I try to go to bed earlier, I procrastinate earlier. :D

2. Food; Eat healthy stuff that makes you feel good; avoid junk food.

I still feel that i've been doing well with this goal. However, I have been essentially skipping breakfast for the past few days. That's not good. I'm going to try to remedy that as best I can.

3. Workout; Practice Aam Ka Jutsu and work with the kettlebell.

I still want to do kettlebell workouts and work toward justifying a heavier bell. I am also going to continue my martial arts training (my main focus). However, i'm going to switch my workout schedule around so that my lifts will be on Monday and Thursday, and my martial arts training will be on Tuesday and Friday. I don't know if that will stick, as I have yet to register for classes. I do know which classes I want, but I can't be certain that i'll get them. We'll see how that pans out.

4. Code; work on your projects at least once a week, hopefully more.

I need to keep improving my skills, so i'm going to commit to doing as much work as I can when i'm not working on homework.

Feel free to follow along and call me out if I need it. Keep being awesome.

Hail Hydrate!

06/11:

Food:

• Breakfast: 4 tbsp. of peanut butter and a cup of coffee
  • Snack: 4 tbsp. of peanut butter
  • Lunch: 1 veggie bag with chicken and rice
  • Snack: a cup of coffee
  • Dinner: two veggie patty burgers with 2 egg, onion, tomato, and 2 pork sausage

Workout:

rest day

The warehouse work has been kicking my butt. All the strength training prepared me for lifting heavy stuff without hurting myself. It feels good knowing that.

Sleep:

11:09 PM; 6:00 AM (~6 hr 51 min)

Code:

- Did some main project work. I squashed some bugs, and after another round of testing, I think that this massive update i've been working on will be ready for release.

• Like 1

06/12:

Food:

• Lunch: 4 tbsp. of peanut butter, a banana, a cup of coffee
  • Snack: 5 cups of peppermint tea
  • Dinner: 3 slices of gluten-free works pizza (take out)
  • Dessert: 6 almond & sea salt & dark chocolate bark thins (store bought)

Workout:

rest day

Sleep:

10:56 PM; 6:00 AM (~7 hr 4 min)

Code:

- Worked on the restaurant project. It only took me a few hours, but I realized that what I was doing was terribly inefficient. I scrapped what I had and started a new version of the project. I put ~4 hours in to focusing purely on the searchable menu.

---

16 hours ago, Kishi said:

Huzzah, man, glad you're learning how to use your strength in the real world. You're only as strong as how much of it you can use outside the gym.

Good to see you again, boss.

Glad to be here :D

• Like 1

06/13:

Food:

• Breakfast: 4 tbsp of peanut butter, 5 dried apricots, and two cups of coffee (also tried out some dried pineapple and dried peach, both tasted bad)
  • Lunch: cashews
  • Snack: 2 tbsp. of peanut butter, two slices of gluten-free works pizza, and 2 chocolate & almond bark thins
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with 3 eggs, half a tomato, and 2 pork sausage
  • Snack: tried 3-4 dark chocolate almonds (64% cocoa) and a cup of peppermint tea with honey

Wow...a lot of snacks.

Fun fact, i've had that canister of peppermint tea for 3 years. Yeah, 3 YEARS. Been slowly whittling away at it. I've got something like 4 bags left. That's a good 20 or so cups of tea. Yum. :P 

Workout:

lifted a few things at work

Sleep:

11:00 PM; 6:00 AM (~7 hr 0 min)

Code:

- Worked on search field event handling for restaurant project. I figured out the event handling for when a user changes a search filter dropdown.

06/14:

Food:

• Lunch: 1 peanut butter sandwich, a few handfuls of cashews, 4 dried apricots, and a few chocolate almonds
  • Snack: 4 tbsp. of peanut butter, a few chocolate almonds, and a cup of peppermint tea
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with chicken, onion, and rice
  • Snack: 2 tbsp. of peanut butter

Workout:

nothing intensive

Sleep:

11:05 PM; 6:00 AM (~6 hr 55 min)

Code:

- none

06/15

Food:

• Snack: 4 tbsp. of peanut butter and a cup of coffee
  • Breakfast: 1 veggie bag with 3 eggs and 2 pork sausage
  • Lunch: a chicken sandwich with tomato and relish
  • Snack: 3 x PBJ toast with a cup of peppermint tea
  • Dinner: none

Workout:

none

Sleep:

11:37 PM; 6:00 AM (~6 hr 23 min)

Code:

- Work on the restaurant project. I thought about setting up a DB to restaurant data and a form to access/update that data. Then I realized that it was highly unlikely that the owner was paying for anything beyond FTP access. So, I scrapped that idea, and went with adding an XML file and reading from it in my main script. Last night, I started working on filtering content. I still have to do all the data entry, but I want to get the searching and sorting functionality worked out before I do that.

---

Yesterday, I felt absolutely horrible and then I had some really bad issues with my stomach. I didn't leave the house, but I did get a bunch of stuff done. I even applied for a Theme Wrangler position at Automattic (the for-profit owned by the same guy that started WordPress.org). Funny enough, I was listening to a WordPress podcast in which they touched on imposter syndrome. I can tell you that I was having some serious imposter syndrome when I was writing that email and even now. It'll be pretty cool to see what they have to say, and what Matt Mullenweg thinks of my skills.

I feel better today BTW.

• Like 1

Eesh, well, I'm glad you're feeling better. Stomach stuff is no joke. I'm glad you were at least able to be productive from home, and I hope that you find solutions to the problems with the restaurant menu stuff you're working on.

Also to hell with Impostor Syndrome. Everyone's fakin' it, it's not just you. :D

06/16

Food:

• Breakfast: 4 tbsp. of peanut butter and two cups of coffee
  • Lunch: 3 eggs, 2 pork sausage, sauteed tomato and onion, on a toasted onion bun
  • Snack: a peanut butter sandwich with a cup of coffee
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with chicken and rice

Workout:

none

Sleep:

11:45 PM; 6:00 AM (~6 hr 15 min)

Code:

- I essentially finished the prototype for the restaurant menu. As a proof-of-concept it works. I just have to enter a ton of data.

---

16 hours ago, Kishi said:

Eesh, well, I'm glad you're feeling better. Stomach stuff is no joke. I'm glad you were at least able to be productive from home, and I hope that you find solutions to the problems with the restaurant menu stuff you're working on.

Also to hell with Impostor Syndrome. Everyone's fakin' it, it's not just you. :D

I know that I am not alone with the Imposter Syndrome. Still, it's such a weird feeling. I've been plotting about counter acting it, and using it to my advantage.

• Like 1

06/17

Food:

• Lunch: 3 eggs, 2 pork sausage, sauteed tomato and onion, on a toasted onion bun
  • Snack: a peanut butter sandwich and two cups of iced peppermint tea
  • Dinner: a peanut butter sandwich and a cup of iced peppermint tea

Workout:

• Cook Drill @ 25
  • 2x2x10 one-handed squats @ 25
  • 2x2 TGU (alternating) @ 25
  • 2x4x10 one-handed swings

Sleep:

11:18 PM; 7:30 AM (~8 hr 12 min)

I got up at 6, and realized that I needed a little more rest, so I set a timer for an hour and a half.

Code:

Tried my hand at a program called Sketch. From using it for ~5 hours, it's pretty cool. It's an entirely vector-based mocking program. I'm testing the waters by mocking up a basic WordPress theme. So far so good. I have to say that my favorite feature is symbols, they let you setup a master version of a group of objects and then use it throughout your design. When you change the master, every copy changes with it.

I've got 25 days left on the trial, and I may end up buying it. I can say that it is much easier to work with compared to Illustrator or Pixelmator (which is what I used for mocking up my portfolio theme).

06/18

Food:

• Snack: a peanut butter sandwich and a cup of iced tea
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with chicken, rice, and onions

Feeling better on the stomach front, so far.

Workout:

rest day

Sleep:

12:05 AM; 6:00 AM (~5 hr 55 min)

Code:

Did some more work with Sketch. I mocked up the single and page layouts, there wasn't much to change. Then I put my automation scripts on Github for future use. Making the bash script rely on a passed directory path instead of a hard coding one was interesting. I actually ended up using Python as well as the bash script, which I don't really know how to code in. I figured it out though. Now when I start a new theme, I can simply clone the files. Cool right?

06/19

Food:

• Lunch: In-N-Out double-double (no cheese, with grilled onion) and animal fries
  • Dinner: none
  • Desert: a bowl of chocolate ice cream
  • Snack: 1 tbsp. of peanut butter and a banana

Workout:

rest day

Sleep:

11:20 PM; 6:00 AM (~6 hr 40 min)

Code:

Started customizing the basic theme, and putzed around with Sublime Text and Terminal mutli-window configurations. There's this thing called GNU screen that allows you to run multiple bash sessions in a split screen and you can set it up however you want. There also happens to be an awesome individual that made a plugin for Sublime Text that essentially does the same thing. I got a little more than an hour of work on the theme.

---

17 hours ago, Kishi said:

Is that how coding works? Doing stuff until you can't read it anymore, and then just fudging it as you go?

Sounds like art in a way. :D

Dude pretty much. I've been coding for a bit more than a decade now. The vast majority of programming languages are essentially the same. The difference is how they can be applied and their syntax. By Googling for things like, "bash scripting+how to split string", or "python+how to return dictionary" I can piece together the code that I need to solve a problem.

Python's reliance on indentation to determine scope kinda weirds me out, but otherwise I think it's pretty nifty. If you've used regular expressions at all, it's a massive pain in PHP and JavaScript, but in Python all the functionality is there. I actually exclaimed, out loud, "Python is SO nice!" because of that.

Programing is very technical, but it is equally a creative process. It doesn't require artistic skill, but I think it definitely helps. Notice how most designers/artists are able to pickup programming, but the reverse is less common. :D I for one do not have the patience or the innate artistic skill to be strictly a designer or an artist. The most intense artistic thing i've done is a vector illustration of Yggdrasil. That Illustrator file had several thousand objects in it. It took something like a minute and a half to save or open.

Speaking of which, how's the coding coming along?

Hype!!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, buckswrath said:

Speaking of which, how's the coding coming along?

Haha, not so much. With something having finally gone right on the job front, I've not been focused so much on learning to code, which I was going to use as an in for certifying through the local colleges. Of course, it's still not a bad skill to pick up and doing so might permit greater flexibility in terms of making lateral shifts in the job that I'm starting tomorrow.

HERO

• Like 1

06/20

Food:

• Lunch: 1 veggie bag with chicken and around 2 cups of rice
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag (zucchini, carrots, cauliflower, lima beans, and bell pepper) 3 eggs and 2 pork sausage, and a peanut butter sandwich (not combined :P)

Workout:

skipped it

Sleep:

12:20 AM; 6:00 AM (~5 hr 40 min)

I also took a nap from 7 PM to 11:30 PM, so it's more like ~9 hr 10 min. :D

Code:

- none

06/21

Food:

• Lunch: a peanut butter sandwich
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with BBQ chicken and rice

I slathered some chicken with a mix of barbecue sauce and a drizzle of Sriracha, and added salt and pepper. Then I seared it all in a lovely cast iron pan. It was really good.

Workout:

got instruction on blocks, locks/holds, and my front-punch form (I now have another variation to work on)

Sleep:

10:50 PM; 6:00 AM (~7 hr 10 min)

Code:

- More theme customization, forced myself to focus on mobile layout and avoided getting sidetracked. Almost finished with that part. It's generally considered easier to design from a mobile layout to a desktop layout because there's more screen real estate to work with.
- Worked on an issue that cropped up in the main project.

Turns out that I worked for 6 hours and 19 mins yesterday, didn't even realize that till I looked at toggl.

06/22

Food:

• Lunch: tuna salad sandwich, a pear, and a cup of coffee
  • Snack: 2 tbsp. of peanut butter and a tuna salad sandwich

Workout:

rest day

Sleep:

• Bedtime: 11:50 PM
  • Woke: 6:00 AM
  • Duration: 5 hr 13 min

^ Guess who got a new Fitbit. This guy. :D

Code:

More main project work. Finished up the bug fix from the other day, and made a few minor design tweaks.

---

Edit: Trying out a new format for the Sleep category.

Tunes of the day:

06/23

Food:

• Snack: 4 tbsp. of peanut butter and a banana

Workout:

got some instruction on my punches, low-contact sparring, and I did about 50 roundhouse kicks on the bag (each side).

I hurt my finger, so i'm not going to aggravate it by doing a KB workout. I'll do something kick oriented.

Sleep:

• Bedtime: 11:33 PM
  • Duration: 6 hr 8 min

Code:

Primarily worked on my theme, but I also spent some time trying to narrow down a really weird bug with the main project.

---

I'm not a huge fan of having all the weird effects going on in the beginning, but I do enjoy the beat.

06/24

Food:

• Lunch: 1 veggie bag with ground beef
  • Snack: a peanut butter sandwich
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with ground beef

Workout:

none

I totally skipped it. I was really focused on completing all the stuff I had laid out for the day. 

Sleep:

• Bedtime: 11:40 PM
  • Woke: 6:09 AM
  • Duration: 5 hr 47 min

Code:

- Completed a theme. I had set a goal to complete the thing in a week and I did! I used toggl to time myself and I spent about 19 hours in total.

- I did some troubleshooting for one of the users of my main project. The front-end of his website wasn't correctly recognizing that he (or his other users) were logged in! It turned out to be a simple site configuration issue.

---

Have good day!

06/25

Food:

• Lunch: 1 veggie bag with ground beef
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with ground beef and 2 eggs

Workout:

100 front-kicks each side, 150 side-kicks each side

Sleep:

• Bedtime: 11:09 PM
  • Duration: 6 hr 19 min

Code:

I worked on my main project.

---

On 6/25/2016 at 8:39 PM, Kishi said:

Whee, all the new music to listen to! Thanks for that!

Also, sorry to hear that you busted your finger like that. Not cool. :( Can see how kettlebell work would aggravate that kind of thing.

Get to feeling better, man.

My pleasure! I'll wait until tomorrow to decide if my finger can handle a KB, but i'm thinking that it'll need another day or two of not being pissed off. It feels better though.

• Like 1

06/26

Food:

• Breakfast: 6 tbsp. of peanut butter and a cup of coffee
  • Snack: peanut butter sandwich and a cup of coffee
  • Lunch: a baked sweet potato with 2 eggs and 2 pork sausage
  • Snack: 1 tbsp. of peanut butter
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with sauteed bell pepper, bacon-wrapped chicken, and rice

Workout:

rest day

Sleep:

• Bedtime: 11:54 PM
  • Duration: 5 hr 42 min

Code:

Worked on main project.

---

Tunes:

• Like 1

06/27

Food:

• Dinner: a baked russet potato with chicken and rice

Workout:

200 side-kicks

Sleep:

• Bedtime: 12:01 AM
  • Duration: 5 hr 35 min

I took a 2 hour nap around 6 PM, it was really needed. 

Code:

Main project work.

• Like 1

06/28

Food:

• Lunch: a baked russet potato with chicken and rice
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with 3 eggs and 2 pork sausage, and 2 tbsp. of peanut butter

Workout:

• Cook Drill @ 25
  • 30 two-handed squats @ 25
  • 2x15 one-handed swings @ 25
  • 2x10 clean and press @ 25

I just stuck with something light, I wanted to start using the hand again, but didn't want to kill the nearly healed finger.

Sleep:

• Bedtime: 11:21 PM
  • Duration: 6 hr 8 min

Code:

Main project work.

---

Time for some nostalgia.

• Like 1

06/29

Food:

• Snack: 2 tbsp. of peanut butter and a cup of coffee
  • Lunch: 1 veggie bag with 3 eggs and 2 pork sausage
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag (broccoli, bell pepper, and corn) with chicken and rice

Workout:

rest day

Sleep:

• Bedtime: 11:55 PM
  • Duration: 5 hr 48 min

Code:

Worked on main project.

---

• Like 1