• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hazard

~ No Power In The 'Verse Can Stop Us ~

20 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Well, they didn't actually *kill* it hence Serenity and the comics, but yes every FireFly fan ever is still pitchfork-level pissed at Fox.

Also, I know it's the wrong fandom, but I'm thinking maybe we should have gone with 1000 miles?

via Crapatalk

Imma just leave this here...

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/27m4wn/where_the_proclaimers_are_prepared_to_walk_to/

• Like 5

BANG!

sputter sputter sputter

("What was that?"

"Sounded like the engine?"

"What'd you do to my engine?!"

"Hu..whaaa --"

"Jian ta de gui get somebody back there to fix it!")

"Zhen Dao Me -- what a way to start a job...."

http://www.cheese-magnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/firefly-out-of-gas-serenity-drifting-1024x655.jpg

ATTENTION CREW

We've had a uh..... sliiiight malfunction with the engine.  We're dead in the water until it gets restarted.  Everyone's as got a hand free head back there for some shifts cranking that thing.  Once it turns over, we should be good to go.

How to Participate:

• The engine’s fairly large, so we’ll be doing strong pulls to getting it spinning again.
    • You can perform any pullup progression variant you like, so long as your AMRAP (As Many Reps As Possible - in one set) is less than 10 reps.  If you can perform more than 10 reps in a set of your chosen variant, you need to pick a more difficult one.
  • You may perform as many reps per sets as you’d like, but exercise difficulty is determined by your AMRAP, not by how many reps you choose to do.
  • Log your total reps on the crew roster.  We need a total of 1000 reps to get the engine started.

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/disp/fc9caf17677357.562bd4449a67d.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Yes. Without going over-the-top about it, go watch the show, it's highly worth it. Then watch the movie. Then join the ranks of people who curse Fox for killing a fantastic idea. 

Despite worry that I might be thrown out of the ship for this blasphemy, but I started watching the first episode yesterday and switched to something else about half an hour in... I feel like there's something I'm missing. Maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker and some of the puns or lingo goes right over my head? Sorry... :( Still going to participate of course, if you'll still have me ;)

Speaking of which... uh oh.

8 minutes ago, Hazard said:
    • You can perform any pullup progression variant you like, so long as your AMRAP (As Many Reps As Possible - in one set) is less than 10 reps.  If you can perform more than 10 reps in a set of your chosen variant, you need to pick a more difficult one

Just to be on the safe side, do inverted rows fall under the term "pullup progression"? I can't do 10 of those...

• Like 4

Ach, my treadmill has no power here! ...So, erm, I suppose I'm going to have to go find a way to try to make a bar so I can learn how to do pull-ups. *rolls up sleeves and heads to Google*

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Briniel said:

to be on the safe side, do inverted rows fall under the term "pullup progression"? I can't do 10 of those...

Absolutely.  Inverted Rows are a great exercise to do even after an Assassin is able to do Chinups/Pullups.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Finisterre said:

Can we still add miles to our ship exploration?

Yup.  Unless you want to stay in your bunk the whole journey. :o

• Like 5

@Briniel I don't think you will need to be booted, but I can say you should try giving it to episode 3 and through it. When I first watched the show years ago with a buddy I was not into it, but once I got past the first half hour (maybe that's the thing) I was absolutely hooked. Otherwise though it doesn't matter our differences so long as you help keep this gorram ship in the sky!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Briniel said:

Despite worry that I might be thrown out of the ship for this blasphemy, but I started watching the first episode yesterday and switched to something else about half an hour in... I feel like there's something I'm missing. Maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker and some of the puns or lingo goes right over my head? Sorry... :( Still going to participate of course, if you'll still have me ;)

It's also a bit of a dialect with Chinese thrown in the mix, so for a non-native English speaker, it might be a challenge yes.

Don't worry about getting every thing they say. You'll get the jest of it and that's just fine.

Think of it as a western in space. If that sounds fun, stick with it. It's worth it.

Welcome to the fandom :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Briniel said:

Despite worry that I might be thrown out of the ship for this blasphemy, but I started watching the first episode yesterday and switched to something else about half an hour in... I feel like there's something I'm missing. 

I felt the same way the first time I watched it.   Call to Adventure doesn't happen until about minute 44.   Until we open Pandora's Box (so-to-speak), everything is just a slow shift away from Mal's post-war status quo.  For me, it was worth it to keep watching. Turned out to be the best non-cable t.v. series I've ever seen. 

• Like 5

I felt the same way the first time I watched it.   Call to Adventure doesn't happen until about minute 44.   Until we open Pandora's Box (so-to-speak), everything is just a slow shift away from Mal's post-war status quo.  For me, it was worth it to keep watching. Turned out to be the best non-cable t.v. series I've ever seen. 

Pandora's box indeed, full of kick-ass and crazy

via Tapatalk

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Gaelle said:

@Finisterre

Just curious - are you referring to the Finisterre in France or Spain? I see you're from Scotland - I'm not aware of one in your parts.
Love the name too by the way.

Neither :D  We don't have one around here, but it's part of my horse's full name (which I didn't pick) and I like it :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Briniel said:

One option is to skip the pilot episode and instead start with the second episode (The Train Job.)  FOX felt the pilot was too slow which is why The Train Job aired first and basically reintroduces the crew.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Briniel said:

Despite worry that I might be thrown out of the ship for this blasphemy, but I started watching the first episode yesterday and switched to something else about half an hour in... I feel like there's something I'm missing. Maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker and some of the puns or lingo goes right over my head? Sorry... :( Still going to participate of course, if you'll still have me

*Whispers* Glad to know I wasn't the only one. Seems I'll have to give it another try though!

• Like 3

Did one! according to my calculations, I could singlehandedly finish this challenge, provided I continue at this rhythm for a year or so.  (of course what´ll prolly happen is the guild will do the next 900+ pullups in the next 24 to 48 hours, "friendly"-competition style.

also... does chin-ups count as a pull up variation?

• Like 3

So this camp I am at for the week is great, but my only internet access is by nonchalantly lounging near one of the private staff residences. 

I should be able to to log pull ups though! I am on it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hazard said:

You can perform any pullup progression variant you like, so long as your AMRAP (As Many Reps As Possible - in one set) is less than 10 reps.  If you can perform more than 10 reps in a set of your chosen variant, you need to pick a more difficult one.

Question: I can do 10 standard pull-ups, but I don't have the setup at home to try archer pull-ups, which was the next variant in the Assassin Force Academy mini.  Any problem with me using weighted pull-ups as my more difficult variant?

5 hours ago, Hazard said:

How to Participate:

• The engine’s fairly large, so we’ll be doing strong pulls to getting it spinning again.
    • You can perform any pullup progression variant you like, so long as your AMRAP (As Many Reps As Possible - in one set) is less than 10 reps.  If you can perform more than 10 reps in a set of your chosen variant, you need to pick a more difficult one.

So, is there a link to a pull-up progression list or something? I tried looking on the nerd fitness site. But that's just, "Do a pull up" which I cannot do. BIGGEST WEAKNESS = twig arms. They have never been strong and I've always wanted to be able to do at least one chin-up/pull-up! It's literally the reason why I dropped out of gymnastics cause my upper body strength was terrible...

I digress. Is there a link or something? Any help would be appreciated!

I look forward to this challenge!

tumblr_mbajfq0vza1qe8mqro1_500.gif

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lilmissbri said:

So, is there a link to a pull-up progression list or something? I tried looking on the nerd fitness site. But that's just, "Do a pull up" which I cannot do. BIGGEST WEAKNESS = twig arms. They have never been strong and I've always wanted to be able to do at least one chin-up/pull-up! It's literally the reason why I dropped out of gymnastics cause my upper body strength was terrible...

I digress. Is there a link or something? Any help would be appreciated!

Not sure if the Captain... err... GM would accept dumbbell rows, but  I've been following the NF Pull-up Progression for a while now - can do almost one complete pull-up, not bad for barely doing a 3-second dead hang 5 months ago! Personally, I did negatives before assisted, but I'm stubborn. Give those a try!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

can do almost one complete pull-up, 

Have you tried a Chinup?   I.m.o, people shouldn't bother with pullups until they can do a chinup.  Chinups are easier, and the strength gained from chinups carries over to the pullup.

• Like 4

Also, no.  No dumbbell rows.  We don't do weighted exercises in Assassin minis.  There are bodyweight alternatives.

• Like 4