• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hazard

~ No Power In The 'Verse Can Stop Us ~

1 hour ago, tenaciousglee said:

Question: I can do 10 standard pull-ups, but I don't have the setup at home to try archer pull-ups, which was the next variant in the Assassin Force Academy mini.  Any problem with me using weighted pull-ups as my more difficult variant?

No weight.  Find a harder variation you can do.  Even if it's only 1 rep per set.   Pull higher/explosively.  Do clapping pullups.  One-arm pullups.  Lever-Rows.  Get creative.   One of the fundamental purposes of our Assassin minichallenges is to learn new things.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hazard said:

No weight.  Find a harder variation you can do.  Even if it's only 1 rep per set.   Pull higher/explosively.  Do clapping pullups.  One-arm pullups.  Lever-Rows.  Get creative.   One of the fundamental purposes of our Assassin minichallenges is to learn new things.

I was afraid (and kind of assumed) you were going to say that.  Glad I asked!  One-arm-assisted pull-ups, here I come.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lilmissbri said:

So, is there a link to a pull-up progression list or something? I tried looking on the nerd fitness site. But that's just, "Do a pull up" which I cannot do. BIGGEST WEAKNESS = twig arms. They have never been strong and I've always wanted to be able to do at least one chin-up/pull-up! It's literally the reason why I dropped out of gymnastics cause my upper body strength was terrible...

I digress. Is there a link or something? Any help would be appreciated!

I look forward to this challenge!

tumblr_mbajfq0vza1qe8mqro1_500.gif

Here's a link to the progressions from a few mini challenges ago.  It starts with pull-up negatives, but it sounds like Inverted Rows are also an acceptable place to start.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aFD3hafXkJBYA8Bi1JKxGfEZMTr-suzmjYtjFy2G8lg/edit#gid=0

This is also a good resource.  I know several assassins use SBW progressions:

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/pull-up-progression.html

• Like 3

Man i wish i could use my resistance band scapular rows for this, but i could do those all. Day. Long. I'm only *supposed* to do them in sets of ten, but i *could* do sets of 30. And its way too hot to go to my typical haunts for inverted rows (maaaaybe later this evening ) and I'm still nervous to get back to my assisted pulls (stupid shoulder injury )... i miss my pull ups :P

Hopefully I'll figure out something soon :)

• Like 2

Luckily for me my NFA body weight workout today included assisted chin ups.  I don't have my bar set up yet so I modified with inverted rows 5 palm away and then AMRAP (usually about 5), and did a total of 4 sets.  I might be a wee bit sore tomorrow but it feels so great right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tenaciousglee said:

Here's a link to the progressions from a few mini challenges ago.  It starts with pull-up negatives, but it sounds like Inverted Rows are also an acceptable place to start.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aFD3hafXkJBYA8Bi1JKxGfEZMTr-suzmjYtjFy2G8lg/edit#gid=0

Thank you!

This is much appreciated. I shall have to find a playground or something. I tried using my desk for an inverted row... eh, I don't want to do that again.

Thanks again!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

*Whispers* Glad to know I wasn't the only one. Seems I'll have to give it another try though!

You're not the only one for sure. I think the idea behind the series is great, but there are some parts to the series (and movie) regarding the Reapers (?) things that I refuse to watch. I am NOT a zombie/cannibal fan, I'm not a fan of anything scary honestly, so I skipped finishing this series at all once I discovered this story line.

• Like 2

Could we possibly link to whatever the current thingy to do is up in the original post on page one? This whole one giant unwieldy thread thing is driving me a little nuts trying to find the post I am looking for!  Totally understood if that is too much for you guys to have time to get to. <3 you and all that you do!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Natasha Romanova said:

Just to clarify (cause I am a dodo like that), we are count each single one or are we counting them per rep?

Count each rep.

1 hour ago, Alexandrite said:

You're not the only one for sure. I think the idea behind the series is great, but there are some parts to the series (and movie) regarding the Reapers (?) things that I refuse to watch. I am NOT a zombie/cannibal fan, I'm not a fan of anything scary honestly, so I skipped finishing this series at all once I discovered this story line.

I'm with you on the Reapers. Love everything else about the series, except those "things", and did not like the movie at all either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexandrite said:

I can understand! BUT just to give you a heads up. The Reavers only show up in a few episodes ("Serenity" and "bushwhacked" correct me if I am in error!!) and again in the movie "Serenity". I find the reavers the only scary parts in the series. :)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

Could we possibly link to whatever the current thingy to do is up in the original post on page one? This whole one giant unwieldy thread thing is driving me a little nuts trying to find the post I am looking for!  Totally understood if that is too much for you guys to have time to get to. <3 you and all that you do!

It's linked in the guild info/announcement thread.  Much easier for me to post them there with limited clutter.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hazard said:

It's linked in the guild info/announcement thread.  Much easier for me to post them there with limited clutter.

AHA. Did not even think to check there for mini related stuff for some reason >.< faaaail.

Thank you!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hazard said:

Also, no.  No dumbbell rows.  We don't do weighted exercises in Assassin minis.  There are bodyweight alternatives.

Ouch. I can't do a pull up. Barely manage a hanging dead man when I tried it at the park. I read in NF that the dumbell rows are the way to get started so I have been doing that. I want to do the inverted rows but my kitchen table is not up to it so will try assisted pull ups -- just have to bring a stool to the park I guess. Haha. But if anyone has any other suggestion on what I can do.. then it's pretty much welcome. 

13 hours ago, Lilmissbri said:

So, is there a link to a pull-up progression list or something? I tried looking on the nerd fitness site. But that's just, "Do a pull up" which I cannot do. BIGGEST WEAKNESS = twig arms. They have never been strong and I've always wanted to be able to do at least one chin-up/pull-up! It's literally the reason why I dropped out of gymnastics cause my upper body strength was terrible...

I digress. Is there a link or something? Any help would be appreciated!

I totally feel you there! I have struggled with weak upper arm strength despite my "bulky" arms. I have been trying the progression I saw here - https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/ - but I have only managed the dumbbell rows. 

12 hours ago, Hazard said:

Do clapping pullups

*gasps* sounds hard *goes to google to check* 

806791.gif

12 hours ago, tenaciousglee said:

This is great. Thanks for always being such a great resource. I have tried SBW but the pull up progression he suggested was an assisted leg pull up. And he suggested I used the door jamb but be careful I don't break it. Not so confident of the door jamb and still figuring out how to manage a pull up at home. I guess I will really have to swallow all my shyness and do a pull up at the park! 

Agh! If I manage even just ONE PULL UP then this mini has served its purpose for me! 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Alexandrite said:

And there goes my plan of giving the series another go.

14 hours ago, Natasha Romanova said:

I can understand! BUT just to give you a heads up. The Reavers only show up in a few episodes ("Serenity" and "bushwhacked" correct me if I am in error!!) and again in the movie "Serenity". I find the reavers the only scary parts in the series. :)

...maybe...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tenaciousglee said:

I was afraid (and kind of assumed) you were going to say that.  Glad I asked!  One-arm-assisted pull-ups, here I come.

Correction: close-grip pull-ups, here I come!  Did a set of 6 and a set of 3 this AM. These seemed like a more reasonable progression than jumping to one-arm pull-ups.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hazard said:

Have you tried a Chinup?   I.m.o, people shouldn't bother with pullups until they can do a chinup.  Chinups are easier, and the strength gained from chinups carries over to the pullup.

I started out with chin-ups, albeit on a very narrow bar, and my elbows were extremely unhappy with that. I switched to a doorway pull-up bar thing, and have been using the handles so my palms are facing each other. Went from barely lifting myself to getting chin level with the bar in 1 month, and then my shoulder started hurting on the decent. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or just old and broken. :P 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

I started out with chin-ups, albeit on a very narrow bar, and my elbows were extremely unhappy with that. I switched to a doorway pull-up bar thing, and have been using the handles so my palms are facing each other. Went from barely lifting myself to getting chin level with the bar in 1 month, and then my shoulder started hurting on the decent. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or just old and broken. :P 

How often were you doing them? And for how many sets and reps?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elleica said:

Agh! If I manage even just ONE PULL UP then this mini has served its purpose for me! 

If you don't get a pull up by the end of this mini don't get discouraged. It can take people over a year to go through all the progressions and just get one. I've been working on pullups for about 6 months now and can do, maybe, a half rep. Just keep working on different parts (scapular raises, assisted pull ups, dumbbell rows, Australian pullups (inverted rows), etc) you'll get there eventually!

• Like 1

I started out with chin-ups, albeit on a very narrow bar, and my elbows were extremely unhappy with that. I switched to a doorway pull-up bar thing, and have been using the handles so my palms are facing each other. Went from barely lifting myself to getting chin level with the bar in 1 month, and then my shoulder started hurting on the decent. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or just old and broken.  

Oooooor it could just be you're overzealousness has you doing too many at a time, totally not an old thing. Calling you out on the forums!! ❤️

• Like 2