~ No Power In The 'Verse Can Stop Us ~

Hazard

4 hours ago, Briniel said:

And there goes my plan of giving the series another go.

...maybe...

LOL!! You will like it! Try the firefly series and don't freak out if you see a Reaver ship and it is not one of those two episodes.... all you will see is the ship. So nothing to fear... ;) except getting caught by the Alliance! LOL, but seriously those two episodes will be the only scary ones.

• Like 3

Now I am wanting to watch them again while I knit!! Did these a couple months ago. Not too happy with how they turned out. I did double ply (2 strands of yarn). I think it made them too bulk. Gonna try it again with 1 strand.  1 was going to be hubby's and the other was for my 4yr old son. :) Also still have to work on pom poms to get them right.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1qK_KUqyg3tdGNxX0dFYmdyQW8/view?usp=sharing

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Hazard said:

How often were you doing them? And for how many sets and reps?

3 sets of 1 attempted rep with my circuit training, every other day. I don't know if it matters, but I was also doing 3x4-7 scap pulls, and 3x 12-14 tricep rows at 22.5lbs in the same circuit. Maybe overdoing it?

1 hour ago, Fenyx said:

Oooooor it could just be you're overzealousness has you doing too many at a time, totally not an old thing. Calling you out on the forums!! ❤️

Hush, you. Guilty as charged, but hush, you anyway! :)

• Like 1
Now I am wanting to watch them again while I knit!! Did these a couple months ago. Not too happy with how they turned out. I did double ply (2 strands of yarn). I think it made them too bulk. Gonna try it again with 1 strand.  1 was going to be hubby's and the other was for my 4yr old son.  Also still have to work on pom poms to get them right.

Those are nice :D. Double play is usually good for that thick norther area type of hat, but I guess different patterns will change the thickness too. I made on for my husband that he uses for sleeping at work in the rack and when he pulls it over his eyes he says it blacks out all the light lol. And the Pom poms. I have so many patterns for em and they all look so good when I can take the time to actually play with em, my earliest ones always turned out a bit... Well they were always a bit on the pitifully unfluffy and skinny side lol.

And@Manarelle! I no shush ❤️

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Elennare said:

I just picked up a giant exercise band so I can attempt assisted pullups on my bar at home this evening.  We'll see how it goes...

I hope you like it! I find these really great to work on mimicking more of the actual range of motion for a pull up and if you get multiple thicknesses you can do what I did...Start using both, then drop the just using the thicker one, and then drop to just using the thinner one and then drop to NO ASSIST WOOHOO. :)

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

3 sets of 1 attempted rep with my circuit training, every other day. I don't know if it matters, but I was also doing 3x4-7 scap pulls, and 3x 12-14 tricep rows at 22.5lbs in the same circuit. Maybe overdoing it?

How long can you hold a dead hang?

Also, what's a tricep row?

4 minutes ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

I hope you like it! I find these really great to work on mimicking more of the actual range of motion for a pull up and if you get multiple thicknesses you can do what I did...Start using both, then drop the just using the thicker one, and then drop to just using the thinner one and then drop to NO ASSIST WOOHOO. :)

I picked up a medium one, that may not be enough of an assist.  If it's not, my plan is to also get the light one and use them together. :)

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Hazard said:

How long can you hold a dead hang?

Also, what's a tricep row?

I... have no idea on the dead hang. It no longer felt like a challenge, so I stopped doing it. I generally went straight from pull-up attempts to scap pulls, so at least 10-15 seconds, for sure. I can give it a go tonight. 

Apparently called a one-arm bent-over row, not tricep row:

One-Arm-Bent-Over-Row.jpg

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

This is a fantastic idea! I have some of the Black Mountain bands and didn't even think of doubling them up. 

3 hours ago, Natasha Romanova said:

Now I am wanting to watch them again while I knit!! Did these a couple months ago. Not too happy with how they turned out. I did double ply (2 strands of yarn). I think it made them too bulk. Gonna try it again with 1 strand.  1 was going to be hubby's and the other was for my 4yr old son. :) Also still have to work on pom poms to get them right.

Firefly is great to knit with :) What were you making? Needle size makes all the difference with 2 strand knitting

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Firefly is great to knit with :) What were you making? Needle size makes all the difference with 2 strand knitting

Here is the site I used for the pattern. I did what she wanted to try next (2 ply / 11 needle). Not thrilled with it, so I am going to try her orginal directions with 1 ply/10 needle)

http://keiylasblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/cunning-jayne-cobb-hat-revisted.html

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Dead-hang hold for 30 seconds, then my un-calloused hands started hurting. :) Arms are fine, breathing's fine, core is fine. I'm actually pretty proud of that, minus the wimpy hands.

Good. 30 sec was the target time I wanted to see.

Now use a chinup grip.  Jump (or use a chair to help get into position) to the top position of a chinup.  All the way up.  Arms fully bent, head above bar.  Stay there.  Find out how long you can hold that Flexed Arm Hang.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Hazard said:

Good. 30 sec was the target time I wanted to see.

Now use a chinup grip.  Jump (or use a chair to help get into position) to the top position of a chinup.  All the way up.  Arms fully bent, head above bar.  Stay there.  Find out how long you can hold that Flexed Arm Hang.

Oof, drastically lowered. First try with hands about 7"/ 18cm apart - 10 seconds and unhappy elbows. Second try with hands wider than shoulders - just over 4 seconds, but no pain. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Oof, drastically lowered. First try with hands about 7"/ 18cm apart - 10 seconds and unhappy elbows. Second try with hands wider than shoulders - just over 4 seconds, but no pain. 

That puts you at the Flex Hang training step in my progression plan. 

1 to 2 times per week.  A few sets each time.  Get your hold time up.  A person who doesn't have the strength to hold themselves firmly and securely at the top of the chinup can't reasonably expect themselves to be able to do full-range chinups.

And obviously, use the grip width that doesn't give you injury-type elbow pain.

If you choose to do this, poke me again when you've developed a 20+ second flexed hold time.  Then we'll get you working on my next step.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Hazard said:

That puts you at the Flex Hang training step in my progression plan. 

1 to 2 times per week.  A few sets each time.  Get your hold time up.  A person who doesn't have the strength to hold themselves firmly and securely at the top of the chinup can't reasonably expect themselves to be able to do full-range chinups.

And obviously, use the grip width that doesn't give you injury-type elbow pain.

If you choose to do this, poke me again when you've developed a 20+ second flexed hold time.  Then we'll get you working on my next step.

tumblr_mj35q0wStC1s5dg2fo1_250.gif

You got it. Thank you muchly. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Hazard said:

I love so much the spirit of helping out that these competitions build. Just one more reason these are the best fitness boards in the 'verse.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Pavowski said:

I love so much the spirit of helping out that these competitions build. Just one more reason these are the best fitness boards in the 'verse.

Agreed! This is why I can't bring myself to join the Scouts permanently. Assassins are the best. 

• Like 4
On 6/15/2016 at 4:25 PM, Hazard said:

Count each rep.

Ok, sorry to be a bit thick on this ... I'm new to the whole NF workout and trying to learn.

What constitutes a "rep"? Is that a set of 10?

I don't have any hanging bars so I tried using my kitchen table doing the inverted pull up - nice sturdy country wooden table, so great.

I managed to do 3 the first time and 2 this morning. Does this even count? Or do I need to get to 10 before it counts as "1"?

Again, apologies to the crew for my ignorance. I'm just a passenger trying to do my part in a moment of crisis.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Gaelle said:

Ok, sorry to be a bit thick on this ... I'm new to the whole NF workout and trying to learn.

What constitutes a "rep"? Is that a set of 10?

I don't have any hanging bars so I tried using my kitchen table doing the inverted pull up - nice sturdy country wooden table, so great.

I managed to do 3 the first time and 2 this morning. Does this even count? Or do I need to get to 10 before it counts as "1"?

Again, apologies to the crew for my ignorance. I'm just a passenger trying to do my part in a moment of crisis.

You would count each pull up or variant, for you that would be 5 towards the crews goal.

• Like 3