• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rivanariko

Does Coconut flour taste like... coconut?

I'm a baker.

By that I don't mean that I'm a professional baker (though I did decorate cakes for a while), but I bake quite frequently. You could say that it's one of my "coping skills". When I'm upset I bake. If I'm really upset, I bake bread because you get to beat on it. But mostly I make things like cookies, cupcakes, muffins, biscuits, etc. I find it relaxing and I love to experiment with it the way some people enjoy experimenting with flavors in cooking. I'm an okay-but-not-good cook, but I'm an awesome baker.

I'm trying a paleo experiment (as absolutely terrifying as that is for my grain-addicted self) and I've been looking up Paleo baking recipes. Super excited about all of the possibilities, but most of them call for coconut flour and I HATE coconut. Has anyone baked with it? Can you taste the coconut flavor in baked goods?

On the same line, what about coconut oil? Right now I mostly use olive oil, but I'm curious about coconut, but again, I would be incredibly sad if all of my food suddenly started tasting like coconut...

I tried baking with almond flour a few years ago, and while it works for things like bread or muffins, it doesn't absorb the liquids like wheat flour does, so it wasn't very successful for cookies, at least with my recipe. It's certainly something that I'm looking forward to playing with though.

It all depends on what you make. This week I made coconut flour "bread" (it was more like biscuits) and I did taste a hint of coconut (I ate them in the morning with my eggs and veggies so it wasn't really that strong) On the flip side, last week I baked myself some Paleo brownies that I added a tbsp of coconut flour to absorb some of the liquids (trust me a little goes a LOOONG way) and I could really taste the coconut in the finished product. Odd considering there was more coconut flour in the bread but I could taste it more in the brownies. I personally prefer it over Almond flour, mainly because there isn't that really nutty taste, but they both have their uses. Experiment/Enjoy! :D

Edited by CRM114

I've often heard that chocolate is a palate cleanser, if you eat a piece of chocolate then drink wine, you can taste the alcohol much more. Perhaps it let's the coconut flavor shine through the same way.

I don't care for coconut flakes, but that's more of a textural issue. I love coconut milk, oil, flour, and especially rum, lol!

The texture of coconut flakes is my primary hatred of them, but I think I associate the taste with the flakes, which makes me gag a little bit. I wonder if I can buy a really tiny bag to experiment with... don't know what I'll do with anything if it turns out coconutty though... Husband doesn't like coconut either.

Don't let me scare you, tbh I can taste it more when I cook with coconut oil than when I bake with the flour. It isn't overpowering or a meal breaker or anything. Just buy a small bag online and try experimenting (like I said a little goes a LONG way, it absorbs more than normal flour so technically you can either 1/2 or 1/4 the amount of flour you would normally use) there are a ton of recipes online. :)

I hate coconut flour, I use it only if I know whatever I am making will overpower it flavour wise, I like coconut but not the flour. I prefer to bake with almond flour, I usually make banana bread for breakfast each day.

I tried baking with almond flour a few years ago, and while it works for things like bread or muffins, it doesn't absorb the liquids like wheat flour does, so it wasn't very successful for cookies, at least with my recipe.

Did you try making macaroons? Not really a cookie, but might be a suitable replacement if you want that sweet fix.

It really doesn't taste much like coconut. It takes on the flavor of whatever is around it. It will impart anything with a faint sweetness and a hint of coconut, but that's rarely a bad thing. it's definitely not overpowering.

Did you try making macaroons? Not really a cookie, but might be a suitable replacement if you want that sweet fix.

I don't remember what the recipe was that I was trying to adapt. A close friend of mine was put on a very restrictive no grain, no sugar, no dairy diet to try to help with IBS (looking back, it was very similar to Paleo) and she was depressed because she had to sit and watch her family eat bread and cookies while she chewed on celery. So I tried to make her cookies... I think the failure was due to a combination of trying to substitute almond flour for white flour and honey for the sugar. I ended up with almond-honey muffins rather than cookies. Which were still good, and she about died from happiness, but not quite what I was aiming for.