Training to Become a Superhero

"Life doesn't give us purpose. We give life purpose." The Flash

Day one of training was a success! Alarm set off at 3:50am and I was able to defeat my laziness and get out of bed, into some PT clothes, and out the door to the gym. The gym was nice and empty, just I had hoped. Today's workout made me a little nervous because I didn't want to look like a total buffoon around the other (3, insert eyeroll here. Sometimes, my brain can be quite ridiculous) people in the gym. Even though I've done Crossfit for two years and am comfortable with the lifts, for some reason, doing them inside a regular gym without my normal support group, is terrifying. But superheroes don't let fear stop them and neither will I. I was able to use 20 seconds of courage and just hopped on a machine and started my workout. Seen below:

Warm-up:

• 15 minute walk to gym
  • 1000m row at 2:30 pace, about 10 minutes to complete

Bench Press:

• Warm-up:
    • 1x8x45lb(empty barbell)
    • 1x5x55lb
  • Working Sets
    • 5x5x65lbs
      • Each set felt a little on the easy side. However, today was mostly about conquering my fears and getting comfortable lifting by myself. Next workout, I plan on adding 5lbs to each side for a total of 75lbs.

Barbell Squats: This is the move that terrified me the most, even though I love squats. I had never used the type of rack we had in the gym, being used to a smaller power rack. I didn't know how to change the pegs to my height and I didn't want to look like an idiot! However, I just summoned up the rest of the courage I had left and asked the guy next  to me how to set it up correctly to my height. Even superheroes need help sometimes! It turns out the guy was not incredibly condescending (like my poor brain was afraid of) but very nice and understanding and he helped me get everything set up correctly. Fear of squat rack, conquered!  (Also found out, they have the type of racks I am comfortable with towards the back of the gym! Yay!)

• Warm-up:
    • 1x8x45lb(empty barbell)
    • 1x5x65lb
  • Working Sets
    • 5x5x85lbs
      • Sets felt good weight wise, however I need to work on driving my heels into the ground and not leaning forward to my toes. I will add 5lbs on each side for next workout. 

Incline walk on treadmill: 10% incline for 10 minutes

Pushups: 3x10, 30 second rest between each set

Planks: 3x:30 secs, 30 second rest between each set

Overall, a really good day in the gym. I conquered fears and I can say I am more comfortable in a traditional gym setting!

Evening:

Went on a three mile walk to complete my 10k steps and to add some mileage to the Ranger Airship Mini-Challenge. 5.71 miles walked total, 2.71 miles contributed to Mini Challenge. 

"She needed a hero, so that's what she became."

Character Bio and Epic Quests

Challenges:

Battle LogFitbit

Challenge 1: Day 2

Today was an active rest day, so I stayed away from the gym and focused on getting my steps in for both my Walk to Mordor and a few miles extra for the Ranger Mini Challenge. Total miles completed today was 6.13mi. The first 10k steps took me 3.85mi and the remaining 2.28mi went towards the Mini challenge. I also managed to drink 89oz of water, exceeding the goal of 64oz. Overall, a great day!

Challenges:

Battle LogFitbit

Didn't do so well last week in getting to the gym. I only did one day of strength training with the barbell. There was no excuse for missing the gym, I just generally gave into laziness.

Today is Day 1 of strength training for Week 2. According to the schedule I made for myself, I should be lifting every M, W, F, however, I couldn't drag myself out of bed yesterday morning. I don't the think the 4am time is going to work. It had advantages with all of the lifting platforms being opened, however, I just feel exhausted at that time of day. This morning I woke up an hour later and was able to drag myself to the gym to make up for missing yesterday. Unfortunately, it was a dead-lifting day and the lifting platforms were taken, so I just decided to swap the move for front squats since I found an open power rack. I guess I could have dead-lifted anywhere, the thought just didn't cross my mind this morning. 

Workout today below:

Warm-up: 800m row

Front squats:

1x10@bodyweight

1x10@barbell (empty)

5x5@85lbs, weight felt good all the way, with a little bit of a push at the end of each set for the last rep

Push Press:

I tried adding weight this time and doing these strict but my wonky shoulder wasn't having it. Therefore, they devolved into a push press. I had to use a little leg each time to get the lift started. 

3x3@65lbs

Cooldown:

15 minute walk

Overall, this definitely wasn't the workout I wanted to do, but I am happy that I was able to get to the gym and put some type of work in. I'm going to aim to get back on schedule this week. On a good note though, I've been reaching my 10k step goal throughout the week. I'm inching my way closer and closer to Mordor!

Challenges:

Battle LogFitbit

Completed today's workout:

Zombies Run: 2.48 miles in 39:18. (MI 1-15:20, MI 2- 15:16, MI 3- 17:19)

Goal pace:

Score Good Low: 09:40

Minimum to pass PRT 10:30.

Situps: 3 sets of 25

Goal: 100 in 2 mins

Pushups: 3 sets of 10, 10min rest, 2 sets of 10

Goal: 45 in 2 mins

Challenges:

Battle LogFitbit