Re: Baby steps, baby.

durfette

Whoops! Totally first placed this in the wrong forum at first. Can you say n00b? XD

Hey there! 

My name is Becca, and this is my first challenge! I'm really looking forward to being a part of this community.

As I list my goals, I'm going to place an asterisk next to my non-negotiable goals. I have started several times to begin developing healthier habits, but I think where I fall short is the "All or Nothing" mentality. I'm trying to show myself more grace this time around. I'm going to strive to do more than just the basics, but I understand for me to make lasting changes, baby steps are the way. So I'll have a plan, but if things get tough / busy / stressful, I will fall back on the basics, indicated by asterisks. 

Diet: 

• Eat veggies with 2 meals a day*
  • Track all meals on MyFitnessPal*
  • Go three days in a row each week without sweets (ice cream, chocolate, dessert, etc..) 
  • Stay below daily calorie goal
  • Try one new NF / paleo recipe each week.

Fitness (will adjust as necessary):

• Mon - Wed - Friday: NF Level 3 Gym workouts 
  • Wednesdays and Saturdays: Cardio workout (run, spin class)
  • Tuesdays and Thursdays: NF Yoga session
  • 2 NF workouts / week*

Life: 

• Read two books*
  • Write in journal once/week
  • Write two blogs
  • Plan intentional one-on-one time with husband once a week

Will be updating probably around weekly! 

• Like 3

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

11 hours ago, durfette said:

I have started several times to begin developing healthier habits, but I think where I fall short is the "All or Nothing" mentality. I'm trying to show myself more grace this time around. I'm going to strive to do more than just the basics, but I understand for me to make lasting changes, baby steps are the way.

It's a nice approach you're taking with yourself here. I daresay that we'd all benefit from this kind of pragmatic approach.

Grace & peace to you on your journey this next four weeks!

• Like 1

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

I decided I needed a way of tracking my success, so I'm using some inspiration from other fellow challengers and am going to try a point grading system. I'm not going to do percentages because that's setting me up for stress. Instead, I'm going to do ranges. If I do the basics, I'll earn a B, because that's above my average and little positive changes are better than nothing. I get an A if I excel the basics. I get a C if I fail to do the asterisked challenges. 

Diet: 

• Eat veggies with 2 meals a day* (2 pts per veggie, total of 4 pts per day)
  • Track all meals on MyFitnessPal* (1 pts per meal, total of 3 pts per day)
  • Go three days in a row each week without sweets (ice cream, chocolate, dessert, etc..) (1 day=1 point, 2nd day in a row=2 points, 3rd day in a row=3 points, etc... up to 7, then resets)
  • Stay below daily calorie goal (1 pt per day)
  • Try one new NF / paleo recipe each week. (2 pt per new recipe)

Max weekly: 86
Total Max: 344

Scoring

C average: <219 points (~ <55 points weekly)

B above average: 220-264 points (~55-66 points weekly)

A excelling: >264 points (~ 67 points and above weekly) 

Fitness (will adjust schedule as necessary):

• Mon - Wed - Friday: NF Level 3 Gym workouts (3 pts / workout)
  • Wednesdays and Saturdays: Cardio workout (run, spin class) (2 pts / workout)
  • Tuesdays and Thursdays: NF Yoga session (2 pts / workout)
  • 2 NF workouts / week*

Max weekly: 17

Total Max: 68

Scoring

C average: <36 ( <9 points weekly)

B above average: 36 - 44 (~9 - 11 points weekly)

A excelling: >44 ( >11 points weekly)

Life: 

• Read two books* (5 pts / finished book)
  • Write in journal once/week (2 pts / entry)
  • Write two blogs (5 pts / post)
  • Plan intentional one-on-one time with husband once a week (3 pts / date)

Total Max: 40 points

Scoring

C average: > 10 points

B above average: 10-25 points

C excelling: 26-40 points

This definitely feels like a trial run, so I'm not sure this system will work for me. But it's worth a try! 

PCkcS10XqAoBa.gif

• Like 3

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

Found you! I like the system you're using. The basics - eat pretty well, get some exercise - will get you pretty far, and I like the idea of treating that as a starting point and adding on extra, more ambitious things on the days when you have more energy but being okay with just doing the core basics on the days when you've got a lot going on. It's not only showing yourself kindness, it's also pragmatic because it's more likely to stick long term. The all-or-nothing mentality is so seductive...but also so counterproductive. Took me longer than I would have liked to learn that lesson.

Thinking of going three days in a row without sweets makes me kind of twitchy ;)

I like your reading/blogging/relationship time goals! Definite quality of life improvements :)

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

14 hours ago, Severine said:

Found you! I like the system you're using. The basics - eat pretty well, get some exercise - will get you pretty far, and I like the idea of treating that as a starting point and adding on extra, more ambitious things on the days when you have more energy but being okay with just doing the core basics on the days when you've got a lot going on. It's not only showing yourself kindness, it's also pragmatic because it's more likely to stick long term. The all-or-nothing mentality is so seductive...but also so counterproductive. Took me longer than I would have liked to learn that lesson.

Thinking of going three days in a row without sweets makes me kind of twitchy ;)

I like your reading/blogging/relationship time goals! Definite quality of life improvements :)

Thank you Severine! I really appreciate your support. :)As far as sweets go, I've been doing pretty okay. It hasn't really been a temptation yet. I know it'll hit soon cuz I'm a sugar fiend, but the first couple days have gone smoothly. I read an article (I think from Greatist? I'll try to find it) about how if you're feeling tempted, if you just tell yourself "I'll have it another time." instead of "I can't have that." it'll train your brain to allow sweets to pass you by. 

3 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Congrats on your first challenge! What book are you working on right now?

Thanks! I'm almost done with Footsteps in the Dark by Georgette Heyer! I don't read a lot of mysteries, so this has been a fun read for me. I keep hearing the Disneyland Haunted Mansion song as I read it though. haha!

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Previous I

Ello Durfate!

Love the goals.  I'm glad to hear going without the sweets hasn't been a temptation.  You got an awesome system to pass those cravings.  

Spending time with the hubby, good one too.  Do you know the five love languages? Is yours quality time?

Anyways, I hope for the best for you and your goals, and please share what recipe you choose for your weekly goal!  Paleo meals are so yummy.  

• Like 2

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Hell yeah to baby steps !

Deconstructing the habits into a smaller baby-steps, so that it integrate in our daily routine smoothly.

So easy that skipping (or doing) it feels weird. That's what we learn from our rebel leader, Steve.

All the best for the journey ! Will cheer you along the way ! :congratulatory:

• Like 3

[ Rzqnzhf ][ Half-Elves ][ Level - 1 ]

[ STR - 3 ] [ DEX - 1 ] [ STA - 1 ] [ CON - 2 ] [ WIS - 1 ] [ CHA - 0 ]

Setting Up the First Player

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world"

9 hours ago, Butternut said:

Spending time with the hubby, good one too.  Do you know the five love languages? Is yours quality time?

Anyways, I hope for the best for you and your goals, and please share what recipe you choose for your weekly goal!  Paleo meals are so yummy.  

I'm familiar with the five love languages and mine is either (or both?) quality time and physical touch. Like, I just want my back scratched all the time. Like so:

gJlIQ3JBEXckM.gif

Hey @Casbin! Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the support! Feel free to lurk. :)

And thank you @Rzqnzhf! I read Steve's blog for a long time, and I'm glad I finally took the plunge to join the community! 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Previous I

Okay guys, I'm feeling really vulnerable about posting this, but here it goes:

The big WHY:

I want to be healthy so I can ALWAYS BE READY. Ready to hike, ready to lug big bottles of solvents arounds the lab at work, ready for photos, ready to run around with kiddos, swimsuit ready. I want to be strong enough to FIGHT GENETICS. In my family, I have a history of heart disease, breast cancer, thyroid issues, asthma, diabetes, etc... Some of this isn't avoidable, but a lot of it can be helped with smart choices. I want to choose to act rather than be acted upon by DNA. I want to be FREE of ADDICTION. I want to overcome an obsession with food and a fear of being hungry. I want to be DAUNTLESS. I want to dance again and play ultimate frisbee with friends rather than feeling insecure about not running fast enough. I want healthy ways of dealing with anxiety. I want to be secure in who I am. I want to raise a HEALTHY FAMILY. I want to set my future children up for success with a healthy lifestyle. I want to be a mom in a bad way, and I especially want to be a GOOD mom. 

I'm gonna hit submit before I change my mind. :hopelessness:

• Like 7

Current Challenge

Previous I

I'm glad you shared. Your pushing yourself out of your comfort zone to get into a more comfortable zone! :) some people go their whole life never trying to push passed that or acknowledging they should to live happier.

Im glad you didn't delete your post. It's good to fight that vulnerability.  It shows courage. 

• Like 2

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

@Butternut Thank you so much! I really appreciate you saying that. 

I just realized I never gave you the paleo recipes i used this week! I made stuffed pesto chicken peppers here on Monday and then I just cooked some ground beef with fresh basil (this was seriously ground breaking), half an onion, and some chili powder then ate it over romaine and spinach on Tuesday. I guess the mozzarella in the peppers wasn't completely paleo, but  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Previous I

On 6/15/2016 at 11:15 PM, durfette said:

The big WHY:

I want to be healthy so I can ALWAYS BE READY. Ready to hike, ready to lug big bottles of solvents arounds the lab at work, ready for photos, ready to run around with kiddos, swimsuit ready. I want to be strong enough to FIGHT GENETICS. In my family, I have a history of heart disease, breast cancer, thyroid issues, asthma, diabetes, etc... Some of this isn't avoidable, but a lot of it can be helped with smart choices. I want to choose to act rather than be acted upon by DNA. I want to be FREE of ADDICTION. I want to overcome an obsession with food and a fear of being hungry. I want to be DAUNTLESS. I want to dance again and play ultimate frisbee with friends rather than feeling insecure about not running fast enough. I want healthy ways of dealing with anxiety. I want to be secure in who I am. I want to raise a HEALTHY FAMILY. I want to set my future children up for success with a healthy lifestyle. I want to be a mom in a bad way, and I especially want to be a GOOD mom. 

That is really beautiful. A really inspiring picture of a life fully lived :)  I know you can get there, and it's going to be amazing along the way!

On 6/16/2016 at 6:28 AM, Butternut said:

You're pushing yourself out of your comfort zone to get into a more comfortable zone!

Okay, I don't know if you realize it but that is a real catchy turn of phrase and a fantastically eloquent way of expressing a really important idea. I may quote you on that later, Butternut :)

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

On 6/15/2016 at 10:15 PM, durfette said:

The big WHY:

I've hovered my pointer over the 'send' button so many times while reading and re-reading my posts here, but I love throwing caution to the wind and just speaking my mind every once in a while. It's liberating, but I know it takes courage, so bravo! Further kudos for having a wonderful message to share. It seems you are getting in shape for all of the right reasons, so there's nothing to be ashamed of here.

I only just found this thread, but I can relate to how hard a baby steps approach can be. The all-or-nothing strategy used to be great for meeting my short term goals, but it never set me up for long term success with fitness. It's reassuring to know that other people are adopting a baby step approach as well. Glad to have you aboard, and here's to your continued success!

• Like 2

Week 1 Recap

I felt pretty good about this week. I had some struggles, but I think I've done a good job owning up to them (shown in battle log). Weekends are the hardest for me to eat well since there isn't as much structure in my weekends. And Sundays are always busy with church and meetings. I need to think about how to tackle weekend health better. And getting in the habit of eating salads when we eat out.

I was suuuuper sore this week too. It was pretty humbling, actually because when I first looked at the workouts on the Academy I was all "that's it!?" so I used heavier weights than I normally would have and daaaaang I'm sore! I also had some pain in my bad foot from the lunges and running, but I hope that's temporary soreness since it's not used to doing those things yet. I'll take it easy and opt for a bike rather than running if I do cardio this week. 

Largest triumphs of the week:

• Trying two recipes, both of which both my husband and I really liked
  • Working out on Saturday morning
  • Eating veggies before pizza on Friday
  • Asking a worker at my gym to show me the assisted pull-up machine--and then using it! 
  • Working out at lunch!

Total Weekly Points

Nutrition: 59 points (A)

Fitness: 15 points (A)

Life: 18 points 

Thank you so much for everyone's help and support! I really value all that you've said to encourage and give help. Looking forward to resetting this week after a hard Sunday. Happy Monday, y'all! 

• Like 4

Current Challenge

Previous I