Re: Baby steps, baby.

durfette

I want to create a reward system to help motivate me to keep doing what I'm doing (besides the whole look good, feel good stuff). Something tangible to look forward to at the end of the challenge. Like a dog chasing a bone. But hey, if it feeds the chickens then that's better than nothing!

147ocP1IfCRqGk.gif

So if I get an "A" in each of these areas at the end of the four weeks, I get...

Diet: new brand protein powder (I've been using free stuff from my work, which is pretty good buuuut.... I'm getting tired of it. a change up may get me excited for morning smoothies again)

Fitness: New yoga mat something to also get me pumped for continuing on

Life: A new car freshener. Or maybe perfume or a candle for the house. I just love things smelling goooood. It lifts my mood way more than I think is normal. 

At the end of each challenge, regardless of grade, I'm going to put $20 in a savings jar to save up for a Fitbit or something big and fitness related like that.

What are some of your rewards? I was surprised it was so difficult for me to pick things that I actually considered rewarding that didn't involve food. I think once I reach my goal weight I will grant myself a spa day to pamper up. But that is a long way off. 

• Like 3

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

@Kucki68 I tried chicken pesto stuffed bell peppers (this have mozarella, so not 100% paleo) found here. Then I took some ground beef and cooked it in a skillet with a chopped half onion, fresh basil leaves (this was seriously soooo good), and some chili powder. It wasn't too fancy, and I just served it over some romaine lettuce and spinach. You can serve it with any dressing or none. I served it with a side of cubed sweet potatoes with Chili Lime seasoning from Trader Joe's and those were on point! 

• Like 2

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

4 hours ago, durfette said:

@Kucki68 I tried chicken pesto stuffed bell peppers (this have mozarella, so not 100% paleo) found here. Then I took some ground beef and cooked it in a skillet with a chopped half onion, fresh basil leaves (this was seriously soooo good), and some chili powder. It wasn't too fancy, and I just served it over some romaine lettuce and spinach. You can serve it with any dressing or none. I served it with a side of cubed sweet potatoes with Chili Lime seasoning from Trader Joe's and those were on point! 

These both sound very tasty!

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

Yay for your first week success! Eating is hardest for me on days off. More free time means more time I am tempted to snack...I really need to address boredom eating. Thankfully (??) lately I have had no days off which makes sticking to my food plan easier.

I like your rewards. I loooove scented candles. Vanilla is my favourite. It drastically improves my mood, too.

I got myself a Fitbit as a reward/motivator and I really love it! Let me know if you get one and I can add you as a friend.

• Like 2

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

On 6/21/2016 at 3:01 PM, durfette said:

What are some of your rewards? I was surprised it was so difficult for me to pick things that I actually considered rewarding that didn't involve food. I

I got a yoga mat and a pedometer so far.  You could also buy some good music to workout to, a new workout outfit, or a kitchen gadget if you are cooking.  OH!  I bought a new cookbook too.

If you are looking for good recipes - the NF site has some good ones.  Love their stir fry

• Like 2
On June 21, 2016 at 3:01 PM, durfette said:

I want to create a reward system to help motivate me to keep doing what I'm doing (besides the whole look good, feel good stuff). Something tangible to look forward to at the end of the challenge. Like a dog chasing a bone. But hey, if it feeds the chickens then that's better than nothing!

Go for it! It takes a lot of discipline to meet a challenge, so marking the milestone is entirely appropriate. Celebration is an often overlooked practice--a missing beat in the rhythm of life.

• Like 1

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

On 6/22/2016 at 3:01 AM, durfette said:

What are some of your rewards? I was surprised it was so difficult for me to pick things that I actually considered rewarding that didn't involve food. I think once I reach my goal weight I will grant myself a spa day to pamper up. But that is a long way off. 

Yup, finding non food reward is quite a challenge. But luckily, my old shoes got stolen (that's the unlucky part), which gave me an idea to get a new one. Yesterday ! :victorious:

• Like 1

[ Rzqnzhf ][ Half-Elves ][ Level - 1 ]

[ STR - 3 ] [ DEX - 1 ] [ STA - 1 ] [ CON - 2 ] [ WIS - 1 ] [ CHA - 0 ]

Setting Up the First Player

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world"

Week 2 Recap

I had a really hard time last week. I'm seeing a counselor tomorrow about the anxiety I was feeling. Someone posted this article on the Bookface, and I really related to a lot of it. So maybe that's what it is. We'll see. The past couple of days I emphasized a solid morning routine involving reading and prayer time set aside specifically, and that really helped me start the day conscious and calmer. I also broke down and bought some new protein powder before the end of the challenge. >.< I wasn't motivated AT ALL to eat a good breakfast and would procrastinate it until I ate stupid stuff out of hanger. I bought Dymatize ISO-600 Birthday Cake flavor and I've liked it pretty well! I've made a protein shake (with little else other than the powder and almond milk) for breakfasts twice and I was really impressed with how full I felt after. I liked the texture and the flavor was pretty good. Still a bit of an after taste, but the colder the milk and if you add ice it makes it less noticeable. That worked to help get me out of the funk. and it's easy-peasy! I feel a lot more optimistic about how this week is going. I felt stronger this week, and stupid DOMS didn't reign supreme like it did the first week. I upped the weights a bit since it was feeling too easy. BAM. I also bought a new scale because my other one was a spinny one that wasn't accurate (like, it said my weight fluctuated 10lbs in a week). So I got a fancier digital one that supposedly tells you your BMI, body fat% and water weight. I don't think those last ones are super accurate or helpful...because science. But it's been helpful. 

Weekly Totals:

Diet: 42 points

Fitness: 13 points

Life: 3 points

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Previous I

12 hours ago, durfette said:

I also broke down and bought some new protein powder before the end of the challenge. >.< I wasn't motivated AT ALL to eat a good breakfast and would procrastinate it until I ate stupid stuff out of hanger.

Sounds like a good move to me, sometimes you just have to adjust to new facts and the fact that you are now having a filling breakfast sounds good to me.

• Like 1
On June 29, 2016 at 1:57 PM, durfette said:

I had a really hard time last week. I'm seeing a counselor tomorrow about the anxiety I was feeling. Someone posted this article on the Bookface, and I really related to a lot of it. So maybe that's what it is. We'll see. The past couple of days I emphasized a solid morning routine involving reading and prayer time set aside specifically, and that really helped me start the day conscious and calmer. I also broke down and bought some new protein powder before the end of the challenge. >

You're taking some really proactive steps here to deal with the anxiety you're feeling. Counseling, rituals, prayer and nutrition are all excellent ways to help you manage and cope during this difficult time. Grace and peace to you. 

• Like 1

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

Sorry about the tough week.Great attack plan on battling anxiety. I find that starting my day with prayer really keeps me calmer and less anxiety prone during the day.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Week 3 Recap

I crashed and burned pretty hard emotionally once I hit the weekend of this week. With my friend's funeral and other deaths, it was just hard all round. But I think I'm learning some healthier ways of handling stress and high-emotions, even if it's just a tiny inkling better. Something I struggle with also is just getting exhausted from trying to make healthy eating choices so much. I know eventually it'll become habit and I won't have to use as much willpower. But what do I do until then? 

Upon realizing that it's only the third week, and I still have a fourth week to finish strong on, I feel better. One weekend doesn't break the bank on everything. So the numbers are gonna look a little pathetic this week, but I'm going to try reeeeal hard to not beat myself up and get too discouraged. Tomorrow, I'm going to do really well. and this week is going to be awesome so I can end this challenge strong! 

Total Weekly Points

Diet 25 points

Fitness 13 points

Life 18 points

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Previous I

39 minutes ago, durfette said:

Week 3 Recap

I crashed and burned pretty hard emotionally once I hit the weekend of this week. With my friend's funeral and other deaths, it was just hard all round. But I think I'm learning some healthier ways of handling stress and high-emotions, even if it's just a tiny inkling better. Something I struggle with also is just getting exhausted from trying to make healthy eating choices so much. I know eventually it'll become habit and I won't have to use as much willpower. But what do I do until then? 

Upon realizing that it's only the third week, and I still have a fourth week to finish strong on, I feel better. One weekend doesn't break the bank on everything. So the numbers are gonna look a little pathetic this week, but I'm going to try reeeeal hard to not beat myself up and get too discouraged. Tomorrow, I'm going to do really well. and this week is going to be awesome so I can end this challenge strong! 

Total Weekly Points

Diet 25 points

Fitness 13 points

Life 18 points

You're right it can be will power draining to  make changes in eating healthy. It is fine to start with small steps, you don't have to make all the changes at once. If you manage one healthy meal a day, or add one veggie to a meal, you are heading on the right road.  

• Like 4

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

4 hours ago, durfette said:

Something I struggle with also is just getting exhausted from trying to make healthy eating choices so much. I know eventually it'll become habit and I won't have to use as much willpower. But what do I do until then?

It takes time and there will be moments when you drop off the waggon, but every meal you eat healthier than before is a win. So what if only your breakfast was healthier and you had less ideal meals for the rest of the day, that still is one more meal than you had before.

The other thing is trying to make the unhealthy stuff as hard to come by as possible. Do not keep it in the house (if you can) and buy the healthy stuff when you have the willpower so it is the default stuff lying around when you are low on willpower.

Funerals and deaths are always horrible and a time to take good care of yourself, even if that means dialing back on the challenge for a bit.

• Like 1
On July 5, 2016 at 10:39 PM, durfette said:

I'm sorry about your recent losses. Sometimes you just have to do the best you can under the circumstances, which I'm sure you did. I'm glad you're recognizing your growth.

Regarding willpower... I try not to think too far out, like the whole challenge or even the whole week. I just try and coach myself through the next hour or meal or whatever. That seems to help me. No craving lasts forever.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2016 at 10:39 PM, durfette said:

I crashed and burned pretty hard emotionally once I hit the weekend of this week. With my friend's funeral and other deaths, it was just hard all round. But I think I'm learning some healthier ways of handling stress and high-emotions, even if it's just a tiny inkling better. 

Mental health is just as important as physical health. :( So sorry for your losses, that is hard. I am also trying to find better ways to handle stress, I find that coloring in one of those adult coloring books works wonders for me, and it's fun. :) (If I don't default to playing video games, of course.)

• Like 3

Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try. - Gail Devers

Current challenge: New Game

Previous challenges: 2017 Challenges: Strategy 2Strategy 1 | 1-3 1-2 | 1-1 | Reset
2016 Challenges: 432 | 1 | .5

34 minutes ago, deathbyshiny said:

Mental health is just as important as physical health. :( So sorry for your losses, that is hard. I am also trying to find better ways to handle stress, I find that coloring in one of those adult coloring books works wonders for me, and it's fun. :) (If I don't default to playing video games, of course.)

Here here!  I couldn't say it better myself.

• Like 2

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

On 7/5/2016 at 10:39 PM, durfette said:

Week 3 Recap

Total Weekly Points

Diet 25 points

Fitness 13 points

Life 18 points

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles you've been having! Happy thoughts and good stuff coming your way!

• Like 2

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

On 7/6/2016 at 1:24 AM, Kucki68 said:

The other thing is trying to make the unhealthy stuff as hard to come by as possible. Do not keep it in the house (if you can) and buy the healthy stuff when you have the willpower so it is the default stuff lying around when you are low on willpower.

We've been pretty good about not keeping it in the house, but it is important to note how easily accessible junk food is. I'll have to rethink some things with this. Thank you for the encouragement! Even though I thought I was taking baby steps, I guess I wasn't thinking in terms of contingency plans when things went awry. I'm definitely thinking about this as I plan for my next challenge. 

On 7/7/2016 at 5:06 PM, Rebel_Timelord said:

I try not to think too far out, like the whole challenge or even the whole week. I just try and coach myself through the next hour or meal or whatever. That seems to help me. No craving lasts forever.

Oh my gosh, this is such a groundbreaking concept for me, as silly as that sounds. Thank you! I will really think about cravings that way now rather than thinking "I will have to deal with this craving until I'm thin in 6 months" rather "I will wait this one out until it passes." Thank you! 

On 7/8/2016 at 7:22 AM, deathbyshiny said:

I find that coloring in one of those adult coloring books works wonders for me, and it's fun

I actually have a few of those I forgot about! Thank you, I'll try that. :)

Thank you so much everyone for checking in on me. It was really heart warming to return to the boards and see so much positivity radiating from you all! Thank you!

I will post something more tangible soon to recap my first challenge. But I'm doing a lot better. I'm a lot more aware of how I respond to things, and am working with safe people like my family and counselor and church leaders to work through some issues. I don't feel like I finished strong, but I think I am in a better place mentally to head into Challenge numero dos. 

Again, thank you all sooo much. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Previous I

Week 4 Recap: 

ehhh, so I died a bit by the end of the week. Didn't track at all Fridday-Sunday, but was rolling with the punches of family stuff. Here are the totals:

Diet: 17 points

Fitness: 8 points

Life: 10 points

and now, the moment you've all been waiting for.....

GBvkxysAR8Svm.gif

(drumroll)

First Challenge Results

Diet: 136 points (C average)

Fitness: 49 points (A! I get new yoga mat or something along those lines!)

Life: 49 points (A! I get something that smells nice!) 

Lessons learned: 

-My anxious eating is way worse than I thought it was

-How I will continue to work towards a pull up with the assisted pull-up machine (<<< awesome possum contraption, right here)

-This community is the best, most hilarious, encouraging, safest place on the internet ever. 

-Being aware of how messed up your mentality has become is really painful

-Losing friends your age sucks

-Losing your baby friends sucks too

-Dementia is even suckier than I thought, especially when it's in your family

-I reach an emotional wall where the only thing I am capable of doing is playing Sims or taking a nap, so fighting once I reach this point of exhaustion leads to binge eating and a grumpy-gilled Becca.

-I need to figure out a healthy way of coping with binge eating. I listened to a John Green podcast today, and someone asked him about how he gave up smoking and his answer was really encouraging: he said he had tried to give up smoking so many times over the course of years, and what really helped was nicorette gum. It isn't the healthiest for you, but it's a lot healthier than cigarettes. So for now I'm looking for a slightly less damaging alternative for when I feel anxious or lost or sad etc... Maybe gum? suggestions welcome. 

-Things that help anxiety: a morning schedule, enough sleep, prayer and scripture study, looking up / reading my family history, playing Sims, playing piano, writing book reviews, taking notes while I talk to my family on the phone, identifying specific emotions, list-making. 

-I don't think running is in the cards for me yet based on the pain I felt in my foot. Maybe I can focus on a walking goal next challenge to practice walking properly on my recovering foot and giving it a chance to keep healing while stretching it with proper stride length. 

-I need a contingency plan for the next challenge for when the sky falls (i.e., loved ones die, loved ones sue your other loved ones, when you have to write about the progression of a loved one's dementia, other issues with loved ones). Again, suggestions welcome.

-Some really great paleo-ish recipes to incorporate into a weekly rotation!

-Meal planning makes a huge difference.

-Change is slower and harder than I thought it would / should be. and that's okay. 

I might add to this as I think of things, but this is where I'm at now. I think for the next challenge I'm going to stick with the Rebel group. I thought I'd move on to Ranger, but I'm not sure I'm there yet. siiiigh. I'm looking forward to starting again and setting more effective, attainable goals this coming challenge. I'm grateful for this challenge illuminating trouble areas and some specific things I can do to make lasting positive changes. I actually feel really surprisingly optimistic, and I really think that is due largely in part to my different mindset, how humbling it has been to seek counseling and to lay a lot of myself bare on the interwebs on these forums, all of your positive encouragement and empowering stories. So thank you thank you! I hope to see you all soon in the next challenge! 

l0NwC1gJIigcRXpaU.gif

• Like 5

Current Challenge

Previous I