Butternut takes over the garden of Success!!

Butternut

Hola!   This is round challenge number 3 for me!  I keep reading about all the guilds and I can't stop with looking at each one and thinking "oooh, that sounds like me... no this one does... Maybe Ranger... No Druids... hmmm..."  

So here I am! Plus i like to find read new people's challenges.  

Quick overview of me

Age- 27 and 3 quarters. 

5'8"

I am a wife with 4 kids (two are dogs and the other are humans)

Been the "chubby one" of my family my whole life until I replaced negative people with positive people.  I'm comfortable with my body because I'm done focusing on my "child hood role"  

Took my measurements for fun (well this wasn't really fun but I did it to see if I can improve on them without focusing on them). I'm feeling kind of vulnerable posting them.... I may do this in the end.. not sure or just keep it to myself. :) 

Here's my challenge:

Number 1: Focus on accomplishments, not body measurements.

• As I've said before I've always been the "chubby one" but I want to stop focusing on trying to lose my love handles (I really don't think they will ever leave my side... no pun intended)
  •  I'm going to focus on doing things that will keep me active and raise my confidences
    • Plan:
      • I want to ride 400 miles this challenge (already rode 65 the other day). 
      • Be able to climb a rope (I'm going to put one in a tree in my back yard)

Number 2: Weight train

• Were re-doing our house a little so I put all my dumbells away and I'm not taking classes this summer so no free gym :(.
    • Plan
      • Bring dumb bells up again from basement into my room or living room where I see them.
      • Do my 2 min work out at least once a week (I do 2 min reps. for each muscle part to see how many I can do in 2 mins)

Number 3: Find the kid in my heart 

• I've lost my goofy positiveness in the last few years.  My spontaneous actions have diminished and reasoning like an adult has snuck in with my age. 
    • Plan (Diet, sleep, and positivity)
      • Elimanate sugar and grains as much as possible (this is to have energy.)
        • Ever since I did the whole 30 a few months ago, I found I lose all my energy the minute I have more then a fist size of any grains.
        • We are are family that loves to eat so if we have grains (tortilla chips, buns, etc.) eat with dinner.
      • Food portions
        • DO NOT OVER EAT (Over eating = Nap needed)
      • Keep up with my sleep routine (devices off by 9:45)
      • Instead of judging myself all the time with "I should not be negative" i'm going to replace it with "what am I experiencing and why?"  
        • I want to let it flow
      • Do something off the wall with kids a couple of times a week

I told myself I would keep it simple this challenge, but of course I need to over explain and be thorough. 

Anyways, wish me luck and I can't wait to read other peoples goals!

• Like 6

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

I like this challenge, especially the goofiness and great self-confidence building.

Also rope climbing is badass.

I'm following, of course!!

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

Hi there! 

I love your challenge! I super admire any mom with younger kids trying to make positive changes. It can take a lot of gumption to say "I need this for me!" instead of using motherhood as an excuse for not taking care of yourself. I'm really excited to see your updates! 

What do you consider something "off the wall" that you want to do with your kids?

• Like 2

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

On June 13, 2016 at 2:39 PM, pepperlint said:

I love your rope goal! That sounds like something a hero should be able to do. I may have to make that one of my epic quests! I definitely couldn't do it as a chubby kid, and I even more definitely can't do it now!

Driya

Ah! A hero!!! Exactly!! Lol. I've never been able to climb rope, I still remember in gym class in 7th grade there was a girl, she was one of those girls that was nice to everyone and so humble, and she did 20 pull ups on a bar and climb the rope like it was nothing.  As I was the chubby girl on the side lines thinking "holy shit" 

On June 14, 2016 at 8:17 PM, Rebel_Timelord said:

Wishing you luck! Summertime is a great time to "find the kid in your heart."

Thank you! It is, with the sun shining, it's hard to stay inside.

On June 13, 2016 at 10:01 PM, Severine said:

I like this challenge, especially the goofiness and great self-confidence building.

Thanks! I need it. It hit me a couple of months ago when I was being in decisive about yet another thing with my husband and he said to me "Butternut, I can't be your confidence" it hurt but it hit a home run in my, I gotta do something about this!

8 hours ago, durfette said:

What do you consider something "off the wall" that you want to do with your kids?

Aw shucks, thanks duefette for your kind words.  Off the wall? I don't know. I think it would be like out of the blue saying "let's pitch the tent!" Or if it's raining go out and become mud people.  Or just plain acting goofy to make them laugh.

My 11 year old is getting to the peek of his "your embarrassing me mom" but he still had that kid that wants to play (as long as his friends aren't around). I only have maybe this summer to get one last childish fun with him. So I gotta soak it in.

• Like 2

Thanks durfette :), from what I've been reading from you, you'd be a pretty rocking mom!

Okie dokie, quick update before I go outside in the BEAUTIFUL day

Number 1: Focus on accomplishments, not body measurements.

• This week I rode 5 miles, just to keep my body aware that I am not giving up riding.
    • Total miles this goal---- 70
  • I said no to dessert last night (I think I should put this under diet, but it was a huge accomplishment for me)
  • I am still in search for a rope.  I went to the hardware store yesterday, they didn't have anything thick enough.  And the rope we have for the tire swing looks like its going to snap. So I am still in the process of that

Number 2: Weight train

• I brought the weights up and my cast iron kettle (I don't have a kettle ball, but my cast iron tea pot works just as good, I just need to not hit myself with the spout)
  • Going to do my 2 min work out either today or Sunday

Number 3: Find the kid in my heart  (Diet, sleep, and positivity + Weirdness)

• Diet I've been doing great with no sugar or grains during the day
    • The other night though I had a slice of strawberry rhuburb pie with ice cream, I woke up stuffy and bloated.  I'm growing convinced every time I eat that stuff that its not worth it anymore.  Even though it was fun because kids were not expecting to have dessert and it was fun to eat with them (we hardly ever do dessert in our house, so its a big when we do)
  • Sleep,I'm back to my ritual some what, and its working.  I sleep like a baby, well not like a baby because they wake up every couple of hours and they also poop in their diaper.. I don't wear diapers.  But I have been sleeping a lot better. Haven't checked my fitbit stats for restlessness yet.
  • (Long STORY!!!) For positivity and spontaneity, Wednesday I roller bladed while my son rode is bike, and my 6 year old "jogged" to the park.  We played monster (I pretend sleep while they run past me), I played a couple of rounds of ga-ga ball with son, and ran around with my daughter. 
    • It was super hot and my daughter was going to not want to "jog" back home.  Her face was redder than a cherry and she also had fallen so she had a mark on her stomach. I saw that she was about to start up with "Can you carry me, I am hurt" So I got into role playing.  We were secret agents that got pushed off a helicopter by an evil Villian named Evil.  We were stuck in a dessert and daughter got bite before we got pushed off (that was the "boo boo") she said it was a rattle snake.  I than said we are in the dessert and our "hut" is a mile away, we need to watch out of more snakes (cars) and wild dingo's (Dogs,) and crazy poisonous lizards (stray cats).  My son, being his age wasn't really for it, so I gave him the house keys and gave him the mission to get home and pour us some juice with ice so we can replenish when we get home, he then thought that was pretty cool because he got to go ahead of us.  My daughter and I proceed dodging dingos, hiding from snakes, and we didn't see any lizards.  She totally got into the role playing, her name was secret agent Walker.  It was so cute and cool.  

Plan to accomplish by next update

• Find Rope
  • Ride at least 40 miles
  • Go 2 days STRAIGHT without added sugar or grain
  • Check fitbit on my sleep patterns.
  • Come up with names for son and daughter because I'm tired of writing out "My daughter" and "My Son"

Until than, thanks for reading and supporting me! 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Butternut said:
  • I am still in search for a rope.  I went to the hardware store yesterday, they didn't have anything thick enough.  And the rope we have for the tire swing looks like its going to snap. So I am still in the process of that

For the rope, you might look into "battle rope" at 1.5" diameter.  You can look in a sporting goods store (it's for crossfit), but it would be cheaper on Amazon.  Check it out at a store first, because it's intended use is shoulder exercises.  I'm not sure how pliable it is to tie.  Otherwise, I don't know if anyone uses rope thicker than 1/2" except boat anchors.

• Like 2

Intro

Challenges: #1#2#3#4, #5

Another strong vote in favour of becoming mud-people :D

That story about roleplaying with your daughter is amazing! You are the coolest mum. Imagination is a wonderful thing to encourage in a child.

I seriously get excited every time I read your thread. There is so much love and vitality and general awesomeness going on in here!!

• Like 2

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Hi! Glad you're back too! I love your goals. I feel like reading your thread is going to help me be more positive too--every post so far has made me smile! Good luck!

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

Thank you everyone for your kind words!  Grymm, thanks for the advice!  I priced checked online and found the hardware store in the next town over had it about the same price.  I love giving small town business before I give it to the internet, (as long as its reasonable!!)

• Like 2

On 6/17/2016 at 8:45 AM, Butternut said:

I don't have a kettle ball, but my cast iron tea pot works just as good, I just need to not hit myself with the spout)

I love the improvisation!!! 

• Like 2

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Ah! I am alive!  

Crazy update:

• Got my rope (woop!) haven't put it in a tree yet. (Sad face)
  • I rode 48 miles with my hubby on the 18th.  I've been keeping track of my miles on my chalk board in my kitchen, I got 68 + 12 + 48 + 12 + 12 + 13  
  • Added sugar and grains have been a failure but a learning process.  Last weekend I went hog wild on beer and ice cream, then bread.  I felt like shit for several days.  Mainly because I had the mentality of "well since I've already been eating it, might as well keep eating it."  Plus my son bought me a cow tail, it was super sweet, I couldn't refuse it.  
  • But I am on day 3 with no added sugar (Eee---ow!!!), and the only grain I had is my son made homemade tortilla's and a yogurt parfait, again, I couldn't NOT eat it.
  • I am getting excited because I feel I am getting more strong minded about my choices.  I am in the mind set up "setting myself up for success" if I eat wheat, drink alcohol, or sugar, I sleep in.  I need to get my miles in to hit 400 miles. To do that, I need to ride before hubby goes to work. 
  • Another reason I need to wake up early is because I LOVE MY "ME" TIME!!!  I can't get it during the day with the kids, and at night my husband is all up in my business.. haha, I don't actually talk like that.  But anyways I get high anxiety if I don't have time for myself everyday.  It sounds selfish, I know :( but its something I have accepted about myself, this is why I need to wake up at 5:30 am. So I need to set myself up for success, I am not willing to eat sugar because I become a crabby mom and a Bi@#$% wife, because I don't get peace and quiet drinking my coffee.
  • Still haven't come up with names for son and daughter....  

Its been driving me crazy not being able to get on here and read and write.  Reading other peoples challenges inspires me to keep on track and work harder.  Writing helps me plan things out and also see that I am doing good (or bad).  I am so negative towards myself, so when I write things that I have DONE, it makes my negative chatter box shut up.

Oh, Off The Wall Update:

• Took kids to the river down the road and we swan in it.  Its a canoeing river, and its very clear and the kids and I had a blast
  • On summer solstice we pitched a tent and waited for the full moon to come out (first full moon on summer solstice in 73 years)
  • Went to a dear friends daughters birthday party, they had a blow up obstacle course. I was the only adult that ran with the kids through it, it was bad ass!  I played for an hour with them.  

• Like 2

quick goals to finish off week:

Ride bike with Son *at least 5 miles

ride 50 miles (split up)

Get rope tied up in tree

Write in journal, keep working on self talk.  "Be curious"

Thank you Kucki!  The kids did have a blast (I might have had more).  There was a little girl who was too small to climb up the bumps to the slid, she had to sit on the sidelines and watch the older kids play on it.  So this is when I took action and rounded up kids to help me hoist her up.  She was so happy.  I got an upper body workout and balance points because that girl was a heavy 3 year old!  

Mj, pictures, gotcha!  I will work on that! :) My furriest children keep me active.

Ok update Ahoy!!

• Got rope in tree CHECK!
    • Kids and I have been playing in it since then, Hubby showed us how to climb it like a champ (Or should I say chimp?). Kids and I are still working on it.
  • Rode 33 miles yesterday,
  • Rode 4 miles with son
  • Been reading "Level Up Your Life," so I wrote out my Alter Ego, that was fun and got my mind on a good track.

I'm coming to a realization that I don't want to cut out sugar and grains all together.  I am going to finish my challenge with cutting it out as much as possible, because I do have a wedding to go to on the 9th and I want to wear my favorite dress (Without a beer gut), but after that I just want to focus on wellness, portions, and what I know.  

I know that stuff makes me feel like shit, I ate pop corn (which I've always loved with every bone in my body) last night with kids, and I felt like shit, but maybe because I ate an ENTIRE bowl!!!  Sometimes I don't think its the wheat itself, or the sugar, its the amount I take in at once.  I've held on to my childhood role of over eating for the fear of food not being here tomorrow, but now as an adult, that isn't the way it is, but my habits are still there. Until lately.  I feel I am forming into a new mind set, a compassionate mindset in what I want and turning it into what I need.  I'm finding if i give into that child hood role, listen to it, I can compromise with it. Does that make sense?  

Quests for this beautiful three day weekend:

• Ride Saturday and Sunday morning
  • Work every day on rope
  • Weight train (get kids involved)
  • Write down my accomplishments on paper, so I can see (still not taking body measurements... nope, won't do it)
  • Keep positive
  • Possibly go see Finding Dora!!!! (get small popcorn....) :)

Everyone have a fantastic weekend!  I will tune in on Monday! 

• Like 2

Ok, 2 days left :( 

Miles are upto 251 miles, I'm beating myself up that I won't make it on Sunday. I'm bumming mainly because I preached to my kids about my goal. BUT this will be a great opportunity to do it next month, to show my kids I know what I did wrong, fix it, and finish the goal!  I am going to do it the next challenge.

I did do a circuit training with weights with my kids outside. We tied rope to a sled and pulled my youngest, did push ups, walking lunges, squats, and sprints, took 20 mins.

I'm going to finish these next 2 days strong with no inflammatory food for the wedding I'm going too where I'm going to enjoy a couple of beers!

• Like 3

On 6/28/2016 at 6:07 PM, Butternut said:

I get high anxiety if I don't have time for myself everyday.

For real! me too! 

On 7/1/2016 at 7:05 AM, Butternut said:

Does that make sense?

So so so much sense. I relate to that idea of overeating because you have this inner feeling that the food won't be there tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, Butternut said:

BUT this will be a great opportunity to do it next month, to show my kids I know what I did wrong, fix it, and finish the goal!  

I think this is such an important lesson to teach children! that sometimes we don't quite make it to our goals, but it's important to back up.

Seriously, every time I read your updates I nod my head in agreement, saying "amen!" to this and "PREACH SISTA" to that.

11FolPTxx0jw64.gif

You are so uplifting and real and I admire how you balance everything! You're going to rock whatever you wear to the wedding because you are strong and confident, even if it isn't your favorite dress. And you enjoy the heck out of yourself because weddings are so fun!!! 

• Like 2

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

I agree with everything @durfette just said, except the part about weddings being fun ;)

I definitely think that showing your kids that success doesn't always mean blasting through your goals on the first try. Sometimes it means an attempt followed by thoughtful analysis and readjustment and then getting it later through intelligent planning and perseverance. It's part of building emotional resilience in kids, I think, to prepare them to handle failure with grace and humility and determination.

Also seconding the demand for cute dog pictures.

• Like 2