Anim Attempts A Plan

Anim07734

The path had become a wide plain without Anim noticing.  Objects in the distance promised great accomplishments, but with so many to pick from, he kept switching focus and making only minimal progress towards any.  Buckling down, Anim chose two of the closest that continued to tempt him and formed a plan to get there.  The others would have to wait.

I tend to take a chaotic view of training, just doing whatever sounds fun at the time.  It normally isn't a problem, since I accept that any progress is going to be slow and often unmeasurable.  But after kicking myself out of a rut last challenge, I really want to hit a milestone or two.  So it's time to retry this whole "workout plan" thing.

My chosen shiney objects are:

-a good free handstand - I've been working on this off and on for 2 or 3 years, and have been "so close" for a year now.  "Good" is currently defined as long enough for pictures as Nightcrawler.

-sub-30in waist - This is where I was all of high school and college, though I also had no muscle at the time.  I put on ~4in when I moved away from home, before I decided to I was too out of shape to enjoy myself.  I've been hovering between 31-32in for the past couple years, which is healthy, but I'd really like to lose the excess.  I'm currently at 31in after a month of calorie tracking.

The deadline for both of these will be Dragoncon (2Sep), as continually improving my Nightcrawler costume is my biggest motivation right now.

Additional motivation is this pic I found while looking for pieces for my next round of improvements:

Young-Nightcrawler-580x457.jpg

To get there, I'll be working on the following for this challenge:

Weekly Workout Plan:  To allow myself some flexibility, these can be completed on any day, so long as I don't do two of the same thing in a row.

2 strength workouts - warmup (typically 1.5mi run); 5+min handstand practice; alternate: A- AMRAP pullups, AMRAP pushups, 1min rest x5; B- AMRAP dips, AMRAP chinups, 1min rest x5; ~10min cooldown (stretching/yoga)

2 sprint/sports workouts (this will be my "leg day") - I've got 3 intramural soccer games this month, plus my office meets for pickup games Friday mornings, if we don't have meetings; my other option will be 100m sprint, 100m walk x10 with a 800m+ jog to warmup and 400m walk to cooldown followed by stretching/yoga

1+ strenuous yardwork for at least an hour (active rest days, plus I have to get projects done)

Sleep management:  I'm now 0 for 2 on this goal.  I'll be good for a week, then hit a snag, so just have to keep focusing on it until it sticks.

-In bed by 10pm on work nights

-Out of bed by 6:30am on work days

Calorie/macro tracking:

I managed to track every day last challenge, but I'm officially burnt out on it.  I've got a pretty good feel for what I should be eating now though, so I'll continue tracking my weight and waist weekly.  And if they start to go the wrong direction, I'll go back to tracking everything.

Complete projects, at least 3.  I'm parring down this list to really focus on things that are currently in progress or coming up on deadlines.  I reserve the right to add to the list, but only upon completion of at least one project.

-Collect and frame family pictures

-Front flowerbed remodel

-Necromunda gang assembly and painting (miniatures)

-Grifter gun props

-basic Kid Flash costume (will be improved as time allows in future challenges)

And since I'm late starting this thread:

Weekly measurements (taken each Monday):

Weight: 147lb

Waist: 31in

%BF: ~15.2%

Today's workout was a 1.5mi run followed by soccer.

• Like 2

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Awesome challenge planned. I should steal your sleep management goal one of these days!

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Following for Nightcrawler awesomeness!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Weekly measurements:

Weight: 145lb

Waist: 30-7/8in

%BF: ~15.0%

I'm pretty sure the weight "loss" is just dehydration, since I didn't get nearly enough water yesterday.  But we'll see how it looks next week.  Pretty happy with the fat loss after a week of no calorie tracking, though.  Just have to stay mindful of what I'm eating and not binge when I decide to cheat a little.

Missed my second sprint workout last week due to storms and lack of motivation, but got both strength workouts in.  Yard work ended up being leaf blowing and mowing, which didn't feel strenuous at the time, but my arms complained plenty afterwards.  I tried doing some digging on Wednesday after work, but the mosquitoes were out in force, so I called it early.

Managed to get my Kroot gang assembled and base coated last week, so now I just have to decide if I'm going to paint them now or work on costumes first.  For those unfamiliar with Necromunda:  it's a small (8-12 models) gang warfare scenario set in a Warhammer 40k hive city (similar to the megacities in Judge Dredd).  Most gangs are hive-born humans with different equipment for flavor, but I'm using some of the expanded rules for wasteland nomads who occasionally raid the city.  The Kroot are survivalist aliens that I had been planning to customize for part of my Tau army, but since I quit playing 40k, they've just been sitting around.  So I now have 13 fully customized Kroot: 3 in stealth suits with plasma weapons, 4 with lasguns, 4 with melee weapons and pistols, and 2 with long guns.  I'll see if I can get pictures, but that may have to wait until they're painted to see any detail.

• Like 1

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Weekly measurements:

Weight: 146lb

Waist: 31-1/8in

%BF: ~15.5%

I did not watch what I was eating last week, at least not consistently.  There were just too many long days at work that became easy excuses to grab Taco Bell on the way home.  I still didn't end up too terribly, so I'll keep pressing without calorie tracking, but another week like that and I'm back to it.

I also missed a strength workout due to lack of energy.  I was fairly active at work though (climbing around various target vehicles), so it seems to have balanced out.  I'll try to get in a third this week to get back on schedule, but I'm not going to stress about it.

And since I promised pictures, here's some of the minis I built for my kroot gang:

27336615233_43527a1803.jpg27337531924_0d2ce5e764.jpg27915779826_587d5d6123.jpg

Keen, the long gunner, waiting for his shot;     Vorpal, with plasma cannon and cutty blade;  and Frost, the first guy I built and painted as a test run.

For reference, this is what Kroot are supposed to look like, but I gave them Fire Warrior armor, or Stealth Suit armor for the leader and heavies.

And as a bonus, here's my current work in progress:

27670637890_8f882995ac.jpg

With any luck that mess will end up as a pair of pistols for my brother's Grifter costume.

• Like 3

Not really sure what to say about last week.  I was doing well until I got into the holiday weekend, then managed to gorge myself to the point where I still feel vaguely sick.  I was also unable to get consistent measurements, so I'll have to wait until next week to see the actual results of those bad decisions.

On the project side of things, I found out the rock I want for my flowerbeds is on back order for at least another month, broke my second shovel handle, and spent one night screwing up the first Grifter pistol and another tearing it apart so I can try that step again.  I also get to completely redesign the back of the guns, as following the pictures makes a weapon that can't be held by a human (thanks comic artists).  I did manage to get my Kid Flash mask cut correctly on the first try (pretty much unheard of), but now have to order more worbla before I can finish it and start figuring out how to attach the goggles (in the works) and ears (haven't started).

So yeah, it was a week.  It happened and I'm glad to put it behind me. :witless:

• Like 3

Weekly measurements (only a day late):

Weight: 143lb

Waist: 30-3/4in

%BF: ~14.8%

End of challenge thoughts:

-Handstands are progressing nicely, though I think I can make greater progress (and actually reach my goal in time for Dragoncon) if I move up to training 3x a week.

-Waist measurements are finally moving in the right direction.  Going to have to rethink my diet goals to make sure it stays that way.

Goal results:

-I missed a couple workouts because things came up, but my main concern is how many excuses came up when things weren't perfect for my planned workout.  I also don't feel like the sprint days were as much leg work as I'd like (especially since my limiting factor was breathing in the 80-90% humidity).  I'm going to have to rethink my plan and add in some more flexibility moving forward.

-I'm now 0 for 3 on set bedtimes, so it's time to completely rethink this goal.  I'm also feeling more rested lately, so I need to track down the cause and focus on that.

-I didn't cut as much off my waist as when I was calorie tracking and I had close to a week of feeling sick after binging 4th of July weekend.  But I also HATE calorie counting...  I've got some ideas to try next challenge, depending on how that goes I'll develop a longer term plan.

-Projects didn't go particularly well this month.  I made progress, but didn't finish anything.  On the plus side, I'm about to have 7.5 cubic yards of river rock blocking my garage, so the flowerbed will be difficult to ignore. :playful:  I also managed to get my Kid Flash goggles shaped correctly, so they're just waiting on the ears so I can paint everything at the same time.

• Like 2