• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Starbuck

Starbuck survives nocturnal life.

I'm working night shifts for this entire challenge. For me, working nights is not particularly conducive to functioning well. So, this challenge has to be all about working out what is most important to me, coming up with achievable goals and just generally surviving.

Goals

Lift three times a week.

This is pretty straight forward and on the surface seems easy because I was managing four times a weeks previously (despite crazy work hours and then being away). However, during this block of nights it will be hard. The 12.5 night shifts + commute + being an overtired zombie, make it pretty difficult to get anything done on days that I am working

- Week one is an exception for this goal. I'm testing today (so excited!) and the plan is for the rest of the week off.

Yoga (or similar) at least twice a week.

I was recently on holidays and found myself surprised at just how stressed I was. Then I went to a yoga class and was amazed at how much better I felt after it. This needs to be a priority. Pilates or Barre classes at my studio also count towards this goal. 

Don't eat too terribly.

Going very easy on myself with food goals. Night shifts almost always involve a lot of junk food snacking. My plan is to only focus on minimising sugar. Anything else is fair game at this point. I'll even accept having a small amount of sweet things - I just don't want to be mindlessly eating a block of chocolate every night.

Also, bonus points for every time I prepare food for myself. 

Make use of my days off.

I tend to get very down on myself when I feel like I have not effectively used my time off. So, on my days off, I want to be able to list a couple things that have been achieved. This is mostly about addressing my mindset - sometimes spending a day doing nothing but sleeping and sitting around watching TV shows is actually just what I need.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Hey there Starbuck! Good luck on your challenge! Yoga FTW! I need more yoga in my life.

Hey there! Thank you. Yoga is pretty fantastic!

Sunday 12th June

Finished my first block of nights that morning. Was the day of attempting to normalise sleeping patterns.

Went to fancy doughtnut place with a friend. Happy with myself for only having half my doughnut.

Monday 13th June

Went to yoga. First class back at my yoga studio (I just got back from a month away) and with one of my favourite instructors. It was lovely.

Had the other half of the previous days doughnut, but otherwise no obvious sugar. Had pasta with pasta sauce for dinner...that kinda counts as preparing food at home. 

Also went to the supermarket, the post office, and got a gift for a friend who's just had a baby.

Tuesday 14th June

Got a haircut.

No obvious sugar.

Testing at the gym with new PBs in everything.

• 80kg squat (previous best was 65kg) - Felt like I had a bit more in the tank, but coach stopped me there because my form was starting to slip. Very happy with this because squats have been a big weakness for so long due to injuries.
  • 55kg bench press (previous best was 50kg) - Happy to (just) get this. Bit frustrated though, feels like my form is just not right on bench at the moment. Need to have a chat with coach about it.
  • 120kg deadlift (previous best was 105kg) - Pretty happy with this. Apparently still need to use my legs more.

Only video I got was my 110kg deadlift. 

• Like 2

Damn!   You smoked that 110kg Dead.  Good work.  Subbing to follow along.  I remember working nights during summers back in my college years.  I actually liked it, but not sure if I'd start losing my mind with so little sunlight if I did it for more than 3 months at a time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

those are some sweet PRs!!

also, teach me your ways of only eating half a doughnut in one sitting.

I need to be taught the ways of eating fewer than like... four doughnuts in one sitting.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2016 at 4:38 PM, SevenofSeven said:

Hey, hey, finally catching up. Welcome back yes? Your deadlift was awesome!

Thanks! I disappear from here far too often. Hoping to do a better job at sticking around this time.

On 6/16/2016 at 2:47 AM, Rooks said:

Damn!   You smoked that 110kg Dead.  Good work.  Subbing to follow along.  I remember working nights during summers back in my college years.  I actually liked it, but not sure if I'd start losing my mind with so little sunlight if I did it for more than 3 months at a time.

Strangely, I think I get more sunlight on my drive home from the night shifts then I do when I'm working days (I tend to leave home before the sun rises and leave work after it's set).I'm just not very good at sleeping during the day, which doesn't help.

On 6/16/2016 at 9:59 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

those are some sweet PRs!!

also, teach me your ways of only eating half a doughnut in one sitting.

On 6/17/2016 at 1:47 AM, Grizzy said:

I need to be taught the ways of eating fewer than like... four doughnuts in one sitting.

It was a ridiculous gourmet doughnut that had cookie dough on top...so it probably was the equivalent of at least a couple normal doughnuts. Though, actually I am kinda proud of me for being able to stop. I definitely haven't always been able to do that. 

On 6/17/2016 at 2:19 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I don't know why I haven't been to your thread sooner. There is some amazing stuff going on here! 

Not to mention the assumed Battlestar Galactica name reference. <3 

Definite Battlestar Galactica name reference - Starbuck is pretty amazing. 

On 6/17/2016 at 4:45 AM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Nice DL!  Well done!

Thanks!

Somehow just lost the post I was typing with a bit of a daily update.

Don't really have time to redo it now. So here's a brief update of the last few days:

- Been on nights since Wednesday.

- So sleep deprived right now.

- Reasonably happy with how things are going with the goals.

Try to quickly update on the post I lost. 

Wednesday 15th June

Went to yoga.

Had four squares of chocolate at work. 

Very successful day for preparing my own food. Cooked these pork ribs prior to work. Very happy with myself for that. 

Thursday 16th June

A nurse on one of my wards brought it cupcakes and I had one. 

Nothing else to report.

Friday 17th June

Didn't sleep well at all through the day.

Had another one of those cupcakes at work.

Saturday 18th June

Even worse sleep then on Friday.

That ward was all out of cupcakes, but had a sponge cake instead - I had one piece.

Overall thoughts on Week 1

Pretty happy with how I went with testing my lifts. Feel like getting to the gym as much as I want during this night block will be really hard.

So nice to be back at yoga!

Still happy with myself for making those ribs - got three meals out of them! Need to do something like that more often. 

It was definitely possible for me to go crazy with eating sugar on the night shifts. I feel like I was reasonably restrained for me.

Sleep deprivation is horrible. 

• Like 3

Sunday 19th June

Recovery day from nights. Can't think of anything much that was achieved.

Didn't eat any sugar.

Monday 20th June

Got to an early morning Ashtanga yoga class.

No obvious added sugar.

Did two loads of washing and met with someone at work about a payment that I still haven't received.

First day of my new program:

#Squat
20 x 6 
40 x 6 x 2 
50 x 6 
55 x 6 x 3 
40 x 10 

#Bench Press
20 x 10 
32.5 x 10 x 3 

#Pause Squat
42.5 x 3 x 5 

#Good Morning
20 x 8 x 3 

• Like 1

Tuesday 21st June

Yoga in the morning and tennis in the afternoon.

Didn't get to the gym. 

Had lunch with a friend and then went to this amazing dessert place - shared a cheesecake piece and had a (ridiculously over the top) hot chocolate. I actually only managed a tiny bit of the hot chocolate and only half of my share of the cheesecake. Even then it felt like sugar overload.

Wednesday 22nd June

Went to hometown to visit my Nanna and also a friend who has recently had a baby. 

Was offered sweet things and didn't refuse (cookies and a slice of caramel mud cake).

Got to the gym:

#Bench Press
20 x 5 
30 x 3 
40 x 3 x 2 
42.5 x 3 x 5 

#Seated Cable Row
30 x 10 x 3 

#Bench Press
40 x 4 x 4 

#Hammer Curl
5 x 10 x 3 

#Lateral Raise
5 x 5 x 2 

• Like 2

Thursday 23rd June

Had planned to spend the daytime cleaning my bedroom and generally organising my life. I did get a bit done, but I'm frustrated at how much of a mess everything this is at the moment.

No sweet things that I can think of.

First deadlift day of the new program was tough:

#Deficit Deadlift
60 x 5 
70 x 5 
80 x 3 x 2 
85 x 5 x 5 

#Front Squat
30 x 10 x 3 

#Romanian Deadlift
30 x 10 x 3 

Skipped abs because I ran out of time before work.

Friday 24th June

No obvious sugar.

Actually made it to the gym, even though I was in the middle of my night shift block:

#Bench Press
20 x 5 
30 x 5 
42.5 x 3 x 2 
45 x 2 x 2 
42.5 x 3 x 2 

#Wide Grip Cable Row
30 x 10 
35 x 10 
40 x 10 

- I was working with a friend and didn't notice that she was secretly upping the weight.

#Overhead Press
30 x 9 
30 x 5 x 2 

- Were supposed to be sets of 10, but I was just too tired. Should have dropped the weight.

#Tricep pushdown
? x 12 x 3

- Weight isn't marked on the machine. 

Saturday 25th June

Had pre-work dinner with a friend and ended up getting churros.

Not much else to report.

Overall thoughts on Week 2

Really happy that I managed to get to the gym four times. 

I'd hoped to get another yoga class in...but can't really complain given that I met my goal.

Not entirely happy with the amount of sugar eaten. However, pretty happy that I was at least able to stop eating when it became too much on Tuesday- in the past I definitely would have finished it, despite feeling awful.

I'm feeling disappointed with how much I've managed to achieve on the days off. Finding it difficult to find a balance between being motivated to get things done and not being too hard on myself.

Apologies for the absence. Had some internet issues earlier in the week. And now I feel like my brain isn't functioning after some very tough few nights. I've somewhat forgotten the start of last week. I know that I didn't prepare any food at all, and don't think I had any obvious sugar on my days off. 

Monday 27th June

Went to Barre. 

Don't think I really achieved anything - but it was post nights day.

Tuesday 28th June

Went to early morning yoga. 

Went shopping to get myself new jeans (all of mine have fallen apart recently). Also hit up Lorna Jane - got some full length tights that I can convince myself that I needed and some tops that were probably unnecessary. 

Went to gym. Was planning on Squat day, but my working sets were feeling super hard (DOMS from barre) and I realised that Wednesday was going to be insanely busy at my gym (everyone testing for nationals) and getting a bench would be near impossible - so decided to switch days on my program.

#Squat
20 x 5 
40 x 5 
50 x 3 
60 x 4 

#Bench Press
20 x 10 
30 x 5 
40 x 3 x 2 
45 x 2 x 4 
45 x 3 x 3 

#Seated Cable Row
30 x 10 x 3 

#Bicep curl
(Bar + 5kg) x 10 x 3

#Tricep Pushdown
? x 10 x 3

Wednesday 29th June

Was glad that I'd decided to switch to bench on Tuesday - took nearly 2 hours for there to be a spot where I could bench. 

#Squat
20 x 5 
40 x 5 
50 x 3 
60 x 4 x 6 
42.5 x 10 

#Pause Squat
45 x 3 x 5 
#Bench Press
20 x 10 
35 x 10 x 3 

#Good Morning
20 x 10 x 3 

Thursday 30th June

Sent off my postal vote.

Ended up joining a 24hr chain gym, which I think will be a good thing. My gym doesn't have the greatest opening hours, so it will be good to have a back up that I can train at. 

Found it tough doing deadlifts the day after squats.

#Deficit Deadlift
40 x 5 
60 x 5 
82.5 x 3 x 2 
90 x 4 x 5 

#Leg Press
80 x 10 x 3 

#Hamstring Curl
16 x 10 x 3 

#Leg extension
20 x 10 x 3 

Friday - Saturday

Hard to express how tough my night shifts (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) were this week. Extremely busy and just a big emotional toll - dealing with death in young people.

I definitely had too much sugar. I don't really care. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2016 at 8:45 AM, SevenofSeven said:

The deaths of young people really do suck! Tough going having night shift and having that on your plate.

Your lifts look great though. Nice numbers! :)

Definitely one of the worst parts of this job. So much respect for people who deal with it all the time. It isn't for me.