Kylie comes back

kylie

After a long time of not doing challenges here, I think I need the accountability of it once more. I've been doing pretty well, eating fairly well and exercising quite a bit but I think I need to step my game up a little now. I've been doing weights in the gym so I'm definitely stronger than I used to be but I now have a little more fat than I'd like so I want to get rid of some of that.  With that in mind, here's my approach:

1. Drink more water - 2.5l per day. I've always struggled with drinking enough, and I also hope this will help make it easier to cut down on snacking.
  2. Eat better. My meals are fine, pretty good actually but my downfall is evening snacking and desserts. I really can't cope with nothing after my dinner but my goal is that on work days I can have something very small - 100kcal approximately though that is a guideline not a rule. Non-work days are a little more open but I need to not be excessive here.
  3. Exercise a little more. I've been managing to make it to the gym about twice a week for weights work and I want to keep this up whilst adding some cardio. My overall goal is at least 5 days of exercise per week, with 2+ gym days. Other exercise can be anything, and we hike a lot on weekends at the moment so that definitely counts.

I also have a life challenge on the go right now, so I'm going to detail that here too. I recently heard about The Minimalists and after listening to some of their podcasts I realised that we have a house full of stuff and I don't ever use most of it. They have a challenge where you start on the 1st of the month and get rid of 1 thing, then 2 on the 2nd etc. It starts out super easy but gets trickier pretty quickly! I'm still on track for June and it'll be good if I can keep it up until the end.

• Like 5

I really like your challenge. I have more of an issue with afternoon snacking than after dinner snacking, but one thing that helps me is only allowing myself fruits and veggies. I'm still eating, but at least it's fewer calories, and it helps meet my daily veggie goal.

I also love the minimalism challenge. I live in a small apartment, so I don't have as much stuff. I still managed to put together a large box of stuff for charity, and a few stacks of items to give to family and friends. The give away piles are all things they can honestly use, like my spare yoga mat and brand new sheets that are the wrong size for my bed, not just stuff I don't want. It feels so good to get it out of the house!

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

Woot, welcome back! I respawned and started this round of challenges too, after a long absence, for the same reasons. 

I like your minimalism challenge. I tried building a capsule wardrobe at the end of last year and it has really made a difference; I only buy stuff that fills a hole in my needs, and serves multiple functions, and that means that travelling and moving is so much easier. Plus I don't have to think too hard when I get dressed in the morning. Minimising our house stuff is a little trickier as my boyfriend is a bit of a clutterbug... Oh well! We'll work on that. 

Good luck with your challenge! I'll be following along and cheering you on. :D

• Like 1

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

STR 0 | DEX 0 | CON | STA 0 | WIS 0 |CHA 0 

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

Yesterday went pretty well. I think I drank about 3l of water, managed not to snack in the evening (that was hard!) and just had a little dark chocolate for dessert. I did 25mins on the cross trainer in the evening too.

I got my daily minimalizing done too, yesterday's included amongst other things my rock collection (everyone has one of those right?!) and my university notes that I hadn't previously looked at for years.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, fiddle-on said:

I really like your challenge. I have more of an issue with afternoon snacking than after dinner snacking, but one thing that helps me is only allowing myself fruits and veggies. I'm still eating, but at least it's fewer calories, and it helps meet my daily veggie goal.

I also love the minimalism challenge. I live in a small apartment, so I don't have as much stuff. I still managed to put together a large box of stuff for charity, and a few stacks of items to give to family and friends. The give away piles are all things they can honestly use, like my spare yoga mat and brand new sheets that are the wrong size for my bed, not just stuff I don't want. It feels so good to get it out of the house!

I would probably also struggle with afternoon snacking but my approach to that is to refuse to allow myself to buy food at work, so if I didn't bring it with me, I can't eat it. It works because I'm too tight to buy food when I know I don't really need it, but when I'm home and it's all around me I find it a lot harder. I agree with you, it definitely feels good to clear stuff out. I've managed to sell a few things too which is nice.

15 hours ago, salambander said:

Woot, welcome back! I respawned and started this round of challenges too, after a long absence, for the same reasons. 

I like your minimalism challenge. I tried building a capsule wardrobe at the end of last year and it has really made a difference; I only buy stuff that fills a hole in my needs, and serves multiple functions, and that means that travelling and moving is so much easier. Plus I don't have to think too hard when I get dressed in the morning. Minimising our house stuff is a little trickier as my boyfriend is a bit of a clutterbug... Oh well! We'll work on that. 

Good luck with your challenge! I'll be following along and cheering you on. :D

Good luck with your challenge too salambander! I haven't tried the capsule wardrobe idea yet, although since most of my clothes are a little tight right now, I sort of have one unintentionally! I have been trying to get rid of one item of clothing per day this month, along with my main minimalism challenge and I'm finding it pretty hard. The advice I've heard when your partner isn't so keen on minimising is just to go ahead and do your stuff, and hope that when they see how much easier it makes your life, they will follow along without you having to nag them. I'm lucky that my partner has less stuff than me and doesn't seem against my minimising. I am careful not to throw out any of his stuff without asking him though.

• Like 2

Wednesday:

Water: 2.8l. Dessert: piece of dark chocolate. Exercise: upper body and core at the gym. Minimising: 15 random things.

Thursday:

So hard!

Water: 2.5l, just. I felt a bit off most of the day so didn't drink much which meant I had to drink a lot in the evening. Dessert: a small bowl of icecream and a piece of chocolate, not great but not awful. Exercise: nope, we're going for a 2 night backpacking trip this weekend so rest and packing instead. Minimsing: 16 books, I know I will never read them again, but getting rid of books is so hard.

Thursday was a bit of a rubbish day, I felt a little unwell and sticking to the challenge was hard. I also think that I hadn't realised how much I was eating in the evenings, and now that I've cut that right back, I'm hungry! I felt like I was hungry all day Wednesday and Thursday so I might need to add a little more breakfast, I do want to lose weight, but I don't want to feel rubbish constantly to achieve it.

Backpacking this weekend, so I'll continue sticking to the water goal, and the exercise is a given! I've minimised for today already and hope to catch up on the other days once I return. The no snacking / dessert goal is on hold as I hate big breakfasts / lunches when hiking so I tend to just have a lot of snacks through the day. I reckon if you're hiking carrying a pack, you can probably get away with it.

• Like 1

Ok so it all went a bit wrong for a week.

Backpacking was awesome. We did nearly 27miles and 2600m of ascent over the weekend. I didn't really track water but I drank plenty and I caught up on my minimising when I got back home after.

Unfortunately I'm gluten intolerant and I got glutened whilst I was away. Consequently I felt pretty unwell last week. Headaches, stomach aches, fatigue, depression. I managed to keep up with the minimising which I'm really proud of myself for as it's getting hard. I think I exercised once, other than that, just doing a day at work seemed super tiring. I didn't track water but did still try and drink more than usual. The dessert / snacking goal I gave up on.

Anyway that's over now. This week I'm back at it. Yesterday I did 25mins on the elliptical trainer. I got my 2.5l of water and there was no snacking. I also got rid of my 27 items. That goal is getting really challenging. I feel like I've been through all areas of the house now and have got rid of the easy stuff so finding more is hard.

I've also been thinking about my eating. I have a tendency when I'm at work to snack all day. I know I do this so I plan my food for the day accordingly, basically I'm having the equivalent of my breakfast and lunch, but spread out over the day. Whilst this means that I'm not eating an excessive amount of food, it does mean that I get used to eating almost constantly, or at least every hour or 2. I think this might make the evening harder as I am used to eating all the time and there are yummy snacks available at home! So for these last 2 weeks, on top of trying to stop evening snacking, I am going to attempt to just eat my 2 meals at work, and not spread the food over the day.