Balsquith brings back the routine

Balsquith

Balsquith brings back the routine

My last challenge was rather amusingly titled ‘Balsquith doesn’t give up’ and saw me disappear from the face of the earth after barely 2 weeks. The challenge itself wasn’t badly set up and I will be keeping parts of it here.

This time around I will have 1 key goal, 2 goals to support it and a couple of additional goals.

Key goal: Get up to my alarm everyday

This goal is the key to everything, it is less about me being a heavy sleeper and groggily hitting my alarm clock and more about me already being mostly awake but just not wanting to get up, due to having no desire to and no plan. As such, success in this goal reflects me having actually got my life a little bit in order.

Supporting goal 1: Morning routine.

In order to give me something to get up for, I want a little bit of a plan. As such I want to re-establish a morning routine. I have many plans for this, but for the purpose of this challenge I will keep it very simple. Every day I will do the following upon getting up:

1. Say ‘Today will be a great day’

2. Drink a glass of water.

Supporting goal 1: Evening routine.

As with the morning routine I have a number of ideas of how I want this to be, but will start by ensuring that I have a nice tidy place to live in. So every night before bed I will do a least a bit of tidying (no minimum). This can be clearing the table or doing the washing up. This will settle me down in the evening and ensure that I have a nice clear space to wake up to.

Fitness goal: Exercise 3 times per week.

I started going to a crossfit-esque gym recently and have spent much of the time recovering from muscle soreness (even with almost a week between sessions). Hopefully this will get better enough that I can do 3 sessions in a week.

Money goal: Create weekly budget and stick to it.

In a previous challenge I started recording my daily expenditure, which is great except for the fact that I haven’t changed how I actually spend my money. In this challenge I will set a reasonable budget and stick to it, allowing me to actually have some money to put in savings at the end of the month.

• Like 3

Wood Elf Ranger - Level 10

STR 11.75|DEX 11.5|STA 9.25|CON 11|WIS 11.25|CHA 8.5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Progress (Day 2)

Successfully completed 2 days from 2!

Successfully completed 1 day from 1!

No sessions yet this week - still have sore legs from the weekend.

Budget plan created. Unneccessary things not bought :)

Overall a great start. Hopefully I will get over this muscle soreness phase rapidly so that I can get to the gym.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Good start. Last month I started the morning routine of drinking a glass of water, and am continuing it this month.  I'm noticing that drinking the water really does help wake me up.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Sounds like a good solid challenge, particularly liking the morning routine idea. Looks like you're off to a great start too!

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Woohoo crazy old man finally found his shipmate.

Nice simple goals here, looking forward to your progress. DOMS suck when they take so long to recover from. I suggest ease back on the intensity level at the gym. Muscle soreness is good, but not when it prevents you from getting in three workouts in the week.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

15 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Good start. Last month I started the morning routine of drinking a glass of water, and am continuing it this month.  I'm noticing that drinking the water really does help wake me up.

Thanks Elastigirl. Drinking a glass of water seems to be a nice constructive habit to form, I know it is healthy and as you say, it does seem to be very good at telling the body it is now awake.

11 hours ago, Jarric said:

Sounds like a good solid challenge, particularly liking the morning routine idea. Looks like you're off to a great start too!

Cheers Jarric. Feeling quite positive about the start too :)

11 hours ago, Thom Ulfhedinn said:

Woohoo crazy old man finally found his shipmate.

Nice simple goals here, looking forward to your progress. DOMS suck when they take so long to recover from. I suggest ease back on the intensity level at the gym. Muscle soreness is good, but not when it prevents you from getting in three workouts in the week.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

Thanks Thom. I tried to keep it simple, I can always add more if things are going well.

Amusingly, I did try to ease back at the gym this last time, having not been able to straighten my arms, or lift them overhead for the best part of a week after the first time. However, the DOMS still managed to get me - legs this time. I guess it is tough getting back into sport - but I definitely feel that regularity of training shouldn't be disrupted by too much soreness.

• Like 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Progress (Day 3)

Successfully completed 3 days from 3!

Successfully completed 3 days from 3!

Successfully completed 1 of 3. Given all of my muscle soreness recently, I decided it would be good to put in some alternative forms of exercise to keep me to a somewhat regular schedule so I dusted off nerd fitness yoga and did Water Series A - it was great fun. I should probably do yoga more often

Having a nicely economical week

Another good day, moving in the right direction. :)

• Like 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Progress (Day 4)

Successfully completed 4 days from 4!

Successfully completed 3 days from 3! Albeit a bit distracted by the football.

No exercise today (except for mini challenge walking). Currently completed 1 of 3 for the week - booked in for Thursday and Saturday.

Still having a nicely economical week

It is going so well, it is almost boring, but I should celebrate this great start and dig in for the weekend when the routines often go a bit haywire.

• Like 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Progress (Day 5)

Successfully completed 5 days from 5!

Successfully completed 5 days from 5!

No exercise today, but did go for 2 relatively lengthy walks to and from work (I skipped using one of the underground lines) for the mini challenge. I was intending on going to the gym in the evening but the England vs Wales football match drove me to drink so I rethought my plans.

Beer and steak and kidney pie at the pub wasn't budgeted but it was a football match.

The challenge is going very well at the moment, it hasn't yet started to lead to my life in general taking an upturn, but it gives me a slightly different mindset which I hope will start to filter through into other areas. I have been enjoying the extra walking that I have got in this week, I should try to keep this going.

• Like 3

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Week 1 round-up

Success! Completed 7 days from 7!

Mostly Success! Completed 6 days from 7!

Good effortl! completed 5 days from 7!

Good effort! Exercised 2 from 3 times for the week. I did also get in 11.75 miles of extra walking in for the Rangers mini challenge which I was quite happy with.

Good effortl! I ended the week just over the budget that I set myself, this resulted from an unnecessary splurge towards the end of the week when I was feeling a bit down. Something to watch for in future.

Overall a very good first week. I successfully completed my key goal and the others all went well. This week I need to be a bit better planned to fit in 3 workouts for the week. My budgeting went very well until the end where I undid all of the good work. Even here I did relatively well though, so just cause to be mindful rather than unhappy with the effort.

• Like 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Sounds like an excellent week 1.  Here's to an even better week 2

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

Progress (Week 2 Day 2)

Yes. Successfully completed 9 days from 9!

Yes. Successfully completed 8 days from 9!

Yes. Successfully completed 6 days from 8! Has been a little tricky but have managed to fit this in around all the football that has been going on.

No exercise yet this week. Sessions planned on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Have already started squatting for the mini challenge though.

Surprisingly expensive first day of the week, will be trying to keep this under control.

Another good start to the week. My 'getting up to alarm' chain has now reached 9 days :)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Good job, especially on getting up to the alarm...  I'm going to have to make that challenge sometime soon myself.

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

17 hours ago, bker1370 said:

Good job, especially on getting up to the alarm...  I'm going to have to make that challenge sometime soon myself.

Thanks. It is a good challenge for me as the worst that can happen is that I don't use the time wisely as opposed to having a lie in, which for me always seems to result in my feeling lethargic anyway. It is early days again, but hopefully I can get this habit down.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Progress (Week 2 Day 3)

Yes. Successfully completed 10 days from 10!

Yes. Successfully completed 9 days from 10!

No. 6 days from 9! Got home late from watching the football and the evening routine was replaced by getting to bed as soon as possible.

No exercise yet this week. Sessions planned on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Squatting for the mini challenge underway, got 90 sqauts done in 4 sets yesterday.

Another unexpectadly expensive day due to being persuaded to go out and watch the football. I had a great night with some nice people, but I will have to be a bit stricter for the rest of the week.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Progress (Week 2 Day 4)

Yes. Successfully completed 11 days from 11!

Yes. Successfully completed 10 days from 11!

Yes. Successfully completed 7 days from 10! It was a busy evening with football and gym, but I made sure that I started my evening routine before I lost all motivation, pleased with myself.

Yes. Went to a crossfit sessions and did lots of fun things including farmers walks and handstand practise. Also did a few more squats, although I am being careful as they seem to upset my leg somewhat.

It is turning into an expensive week with too many meals out or, like last night, ordered as take-away. Today I am definitely going to be eating out again which won't help. This seems to be an area I need to be a bit stricter on, without stifling the little bits of social life that I have emerging.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Doing great so far! The budgeting thing's so hard; when you figure out how to make it work please teach me!

• Like 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Week 2 round-up

Success! Completed 6 days from 7! (13 from 14 for the challenge)

Good effort! Completed 5 days from 7! (11 from 14 for the challenge)

Must try harder! completed 4 days from 7! (9 from 14 for the challenge)

Success! Exercised 3 from 3 times for the week. (5 from 6 for the challenge) I also did 1215 air squats as part of the Rangers mini challenge which is way more than I intended to do -  great support from the crew.

Must try harder! I ended the week over the budget that I set myself, and about twice as much over the budget as I was in the first week. Admittedly I managed to tip myself over the budget by buying a fairly expensive ticket for a concert in 2017, but that is no excuse. I must try harder this week.

Overall another relatively good week. I successfully completed my key goal with just one day were I didn't set my alarm in order to rest as much as my body needed. All the other routines went fairly well but began to lose a little focus - something I will have to watch. This week I managed to fit in 3 workouts along with lots of air squats so a good week on this front. My budgeting wasn't as good as it could have been and I need to put in a week under budget to make up for the first 2 weeks where I was over it.

• Like 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

On 24.6.2016 at 11:07 AM, Jarric said:

Doing great so far! The budgeting thing's so hard; when you figure out how to make it work please teach me!

Haha, clearly I have no idea whatsoever about budgeting, so don't hold your breath!

• Like 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Progress (Week 3 Day 2)

Yes. Successfully completed 14 days from 16!

Yes. Successfully completed 13 days from 16!

Yes. Successfully completed 10 days from 15!

No gym today, but I went last night, so 1 of 3 for the week so far.

Last week was expensive, this week I want to get under my budget and hopefully make up some of the previous week's damage.

Basically happy with how it is going, but a little worried that my morning and evening routines are the bare minimum and a little chaotic, they certainly haven't settled into place yet as I hoped they would, still better the minimum than nothing at all.

• Like 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Progress (Week 3 Day 3)

Yes. Successfully completed 15 days from 17!

Yes. Successfully completed 14 days from 17!

No/partially. Completed 10 days from 16!

No gym today. Sessions 2 and 3 planned for Thursday and Sunday

I am not very strong at saying no when social interactions come up, this is not really a bad thing, but it is hurting my budget a bit.

Another reasonable day. My evening routine is turning into a bit of a mess, almost always due to watching tv when I should be slowing down and preparing myself.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10