Crew of the Aluminum Falcon

DarK_RaideR

Thanks for setting this up guys! I was thinking we needed to do this this morning.

Should we start with some introductions?

My name's Blonde-E, I'm a 26 year old female engineer. I'm married to one evil genius who plays with lasers all day. We have two cats, though I am the crazy cat lady. I consider myself a polymath (how's that total nerdom?) and love to learn new things and talk about all subjects. But I fail most basic nerd standards (ie video games and fantansy/science fiction details) however I can appreciate the passion for them. 

Looking forward to rocking this challenge with the gallant crew!

• Like 2

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it - Charles Swindoll

Current Challenge

Typos? - I blame the phone

Heyo! Thanks for the intro @Blonde-E!  It sounds like we have a lot in common in terms of jobs and kitties :]

I'm a 28 year old physicist/project manager.  My boyfriend and I have three special needs cats - one of which is only missing an eye and is slightly blind in the other eye so she's the least special-needs out of the bunch and is actually pretty normal.  I proudly identify as a crazy cat lady - no shame.  We also have four snakes.  I'm currently part time getting my PhD in physics (right now I have only my masters) while I'm working full time. My driving force behind fitness is I want to lift all the heavy things, and hike all of the places. I belong to a bunch of nerdoms, my favourites being (in no particular order) Doctor Who, Borderlands, Kingdom Hearts, Battlestar Galactica, Batman (+ DC comics in general), Dark Tower, Harry Potter, Buffy and Supernatural.

• Like 2

Oh my gosh we have so much in common @Raxie! I totaly want to pick your brain on the project manager stuff at some point. My evil genius husband is working on his PhD in physics, hoping to be finished in December. What is your research in (if you're that far along yet)? Also BSG is one of my favorite nerdy passions! 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

1 hour ago, Blonde-E said:

Oh my gosh we have so much in common @Raxie! I totaly want to pick your brain on the project manager stuff at some point. My evil genius husband is working on his PhD in physics, hoping to be finished in December. What is your research in (if you're that far along yet)? Also BSG is one of my favorite nerdy passions! 

I probably won't be doing it for a few years because of scheduling issues (I need to ask for time off work to be able to do my research portion, classes part time is one thing, research part time is another) - but I plan on doing it in quantum optics/quantum control.  I'm not sure where science will be on those two fronts in a few years so I'm not settling on anything super specific quite yet but quantum control is a hugeeee interest of mine and it's definitely not going anywhere as a topic of interest and research.  Feel free to send me a PM any time if you want to talk about project management stuffs - or anything else for that matter! :D

• Like 1

29-y-o legal professional here, only recently adopted the first cat that's really mine. My main training method is crossfit, but I'll freely try other stuff that catches my interest, such as tricking and Krav Maga (still haven't found a parkour gym around). I've also caught the OCR bug, doing my first one last September and travelling abroad to run a Spartan with another member of The Rebellion

• Like 2

Ah crew thread, good idea!

I'm 41 (yikes!), Computer Storage Architect, NF background story in my signature. Originally from the UK these days I live in the Land Down Under, enjoy Olympic lifting and train with a coach at a Crossfit gym. Love playing competition squash and do a lot of walking with my dog. I did my degree in French language and literature, lived in France for a year when I was younger.

Nerd creds, love fantasy and sci-fi books/movies and play video games from time to time. Recently built a new gaming rig for Star Wars Battlefront and Skyrim. I'm also into Scuba Diving, Surfing, Fishing, Boating, Cars and Motorbikes. 

We've got a very active 3 year old miniature poodle and a very cranky 17 year old Blue point Birman cat!

large.bb_bag.PNG.aecec2eeb331fe2a8118dd9

large.marlowe_with_stick.jpg.583a430e1b0

large.smilyM.jpg.be3e465995009f3d2461878

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

60 days to 5k (July-Sep 2021)

I haven't forgotten about my crew duties, no worries! It has just been a little hectic around here.

I am not counting my daily walks towards this mini-challenge, since I understand it to be something above and beyond what we normally do.  So I have a quick mountain hike I will get in before work tomorrow (do we get bonus points for elevation?).  I'll catch up with everyone as soon as I have a minute, though it looks like our crew is doing fantastic!

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Intros – fab idea. I’m Ki (kee), 46yo Human Resources Trainer also working in system integration. I’m also in school, returning for a BA in Communication to transition into social media.  Crazy Cat Lady Cred™: two 6yo rescue cats, Xander (Bengal mix) and Wesley (Turkish Van). They’re both from big boys because of their breeds (Wes is just shy of 20lbs) so it’s a bit like having catdogs.

Ck30nPQWkAAwlk-.jpg

I’m new to NF and this will be my first challenge (I work at a hospital and picked up an ugly virus two weeks into my first challenge in April, so I think of this as my first real NF challenge opportunity). My fitness goal is to lose weight and get back to Olympic lifting, crossfit, and doing triathlons, all of which I was doing just four years ago. I’d like to lose enough weight to also be comfortable hiking, rocking climbing and mountain biking – there’s a great facility right around the corner from me.

I geek out over anything Tolkien, but I also like Vikings, Harry Potter, Black Sails, Hamilton, Guardians of the Galaxy. And dinosaurs – love dinos

• Like 3

Level 3 Dwarf Ranger

MFP | Epic Quests | Challenges: 1

Nay, I will not walk backward in life. 
~ Túrin
The Children of Húrin, J. R. R. Tolkien

Just recorded my 4 miles so far towards the mini! I ended up going for my 2 mile run that I should've done yesterday after my soccer game because I had a work out high. To me that totally counts since it wasn't scheduled for today. :congratulatory:

• Like 1

Current Challenge

11 hours ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

A Messenger Pigeon arrives from The Flailing Ranger carrying tidings of well-wishes for the Aluminum Falcon's continued excellence and success for the upcoming battle, praising the crew for their performance thus far.

Pigeon pie for afternoon tea, aargh!

I should be able to get some distance in tomorrow.  I also rowed a little extra today beyond my challenge to get some extra bits in too, not much though.  Unfortunately I'm putting most of my cardio work into rowing this time around and it's so exhausting it's hard to go "beyond" my challenge for that, so sorry I'm not really pulling my weight in the walking!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Blonde-E said:

Crew of the Aluminum Falcon! The other ships are losing us! Its time to band together and see how far we can get with the last 2 days we have left in our walking challenge! Who's with me?

Another 4 on the board for me, we're sitting in 4th at the moment ;) 

I should get another 4 in tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, Raxie said:

I should be able to get some distance in tomorrow.  I also rowed a little extra today beyond my challenge to get some extra bits in too, not much though.  Unfortunately I'm putting most of my cardio work into rowing this time around and it's so exhausting it's hard to go "beyond" my challenge for that, so sorry I'm not really pulling my weight in the walking!

All good, don't feel guilty at all it's just for fun! Someone's got to pull the oars when the wind drops, we'll be looking to you for that in the coming weeks! :) 

• Like 1

I squeaked in 2.4 miles today to get my five miles.

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman