Getting to the bottom of (walking) things

Basement Cat

Everyone is an expert right?! Don't let them Negative Nancy's (no offense to all you positive Nancy's) get you down. Best to just avoid all that.

Smart move to take a little break to let yourself heal up. Hopefully that will solve that issue and you can get your walk on without trouble.

You ever had any interest in saving Middle Earth? Or even just checking out the different destinations in Middle Earth? Say Mordor?? I just figured I would ask with all the walking you are doing and your desire to get those Hobbit feet. Here is the link if interested :P  Walk to Mordor

• Like 2

I am well aware of the Walk to Mordor challenge, but I always find it discouraging because it takes so long to accumulate the mileage to 'get' anywhere. It's more of a goal I would keep in the back of my mind than make a priority. There's also the abstraction thing. In the WTM, you don't get a clear visual of how far you've gone. It's all numbers with markers, which are not the same as actually going somewhere. With walking and running, I get visual feedback on how far and how fast I went. That's much more rewarding for me.

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Don't listen to her. As you say, she should wonder why she's having so much trouble. I don't run anymore (I'm sorry, it bores me to death) but I've been doing it with minimalists shoes for a long while and never injured myself.

I say listen to the nice one!

• Like 2

When I let go of what I am,

I become what I might be.

MDA is full of stories of how people did it the conventional way for years and were amazed how much better they felt when they switched to 'primal' ;)

5 hours ago, zenLara said:

Don't listen to her. As you say, she should wonder why she's having so much trouble. I don't run anymore (I'm sorry, it bores me to death) but I've been doing it with minimalists shoes for a long while and never injured myself.

I say listen to the nice one!

^^yes, this!

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Ok! So, tomorrow is the day I resume walking, in minimalist shoes! I will walk part of the way completely barefoot and put on my DIY sandals at the 2 km mark. The sidewalk will be nice and cool in the morning, so that will be fine.

My feet are completely healed, so yay! In fact, they itch a bit where the blisters were because of the dead skin. The whole mess has scarred into a callus, so there's that gained.

Here's to walking free of pain!

• Like 4

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Monday June 27th

Achievement get: My Tender Sole

I walked 2 km completely barefoot, then I put my shoes back on after a generous application of vaseline. I put on my DIY sandals for a bit, but the laces inflamed a blister between my toes (grrr).

Otherwise, the barefoot walking has done wonders to exfoliate the soles of my feet. Also, it was raining today so it was nice and refreshing to my feet. I'm going to stick to walking in the morning only for now. I will try to push a little further every morning. My heels feel a bit bruised, but that's because I need to correct how I walk.

• Like 2

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Achievement get: Achilles heel

Achievement get: Honorary Hobbit

I did it! I walked the whole distance to work (7.3 km or 4.5 miles) barefoot! My pace was a lot slower than was usual for me. I can usually walk the distance in 85-90 minutes with shoes; it took me 120 minutes barefoot. The shorter stride really makes a difference.

I'm hoping that in the following days I'll be able to go faster. The time to beat is 120 minutes. I'm taking the bus in the evenings to avoid over stressing my feet.  I do feel a bit sore. but not blister sore, so that's good.

• Like 4

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Tuesday update: I do have a small blister on the side of my big toe, but it is manageable. I'm guessing that the way I stepped made my toe rub too much, but at least I learned from that.

I hope we get rain again soon. It's very pleasant to walk in the rain barefoot. :)

• Like 4

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

On 6/28/2016 at 6:38 AM, Basement Cat said:

No walking today. I'm giving my feet a chance to rest because I strode too heavily on my heels yesterday and they still feel tender. Back to it tomorrow though.

I happened on your thread and have been reading through.

Really cool that you are walking barefoot. I love doing that too, though I do it on hiking trails, not in town.

I also found that when I'm walking barefoot, the toe box comes down first, with a smooth rolling down onto the heel. This is gentler on the foot and feels more natural, again, when going it barefoot.

Good luck on the goals. :)

• Like 2

- Level 1 - Water-bending Elf - Aspiring Druid Adventurer -

STR 1/ DEX 3/ STA 1/ CON 1/ WIS 4/ CHA 1

Spoiler

NFA4 - EQ1 - My Character - My Nerd Thing: A Walk Around The World

Current: #3QiGong & Back to Basics; #3Mini(Assassins); #3Mini(Adventurers)

Previous 2016: PVP:Walk of Life(Mar-Apr16) - #1(Apr/Rebel) - #2(May/Druid) -

"We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one." -- Doctor Who, the 11th

Thursday. Ok, so I went on a very short walk because it's raining buckets and I was soaked after five minutes. I need to plan for rainy days. *grrr*

At any rate, I enjoy walking in the rain, that's not the issue. If it's still raining tonight (and so the road is cool), I'll go walking around the neighborhood then.

• Like 2

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

On 7/9/2016 at 3:24 PM, Basement Cat said:

I accumulated about 115 miles this month and I was aiming for 200, but oh well. Stuff happens. ;)

you'll get it next month...and 115 is nothing to be ashamed of! I aspire to that...maybe after my move!

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda