Adorkable Saves Her Summer

Hi Guys!! I'm back.. I'm going to finish this challenge... errr, I guess I need to get started first! : ) I've been reading through alot of your challenges to get more ideas.  I just want you all to know, that I have been soda free for the past 16 days, yup, all of June!!!! In tandem w/ that, I have been active 9/16 days of June.  My goal is 3x/week of NF workouts so I'm killing that! This challenge is going to be about leveling up my diet and continuing the good habits I've developed in the last 16 days.. soooo...

I'm going to work on 3 things, the first of which is what I mentioned above, plus 2 new goals:

1.) Continue not drinking soda AT ALL & doing the NF workouts 3x/week!!! I'm tracking this on a cute little calendar from fitlosophy at my desk.  I'm like a small child! I loooove getting to mark my calendar each day for my activity & my workouts.  The green corner is for no soda & the blue star is for my workouts.

145a37713b99887b956ddf0f9a0c515b.jpg

2.) Everything I eat must have less than 5 ingredients.

Confession time.  I'm a yo-yo/fad dieter.  I'm always trying something.  I'm over it.  Generally, that results in me eating phenomenally for a week and then binging FoReVeR!! I don't want to do that.  This challenge I'm just going to make one little change.  This should limit me to nearly primal & reasonably healthy.  I don't eat a whole lot of "junk" food anyway.  My 2 major nemesis' are soda (GONE!) and ice cream.  I've replaced the ice cream w/ a nice cream recipe I found on pinterest.  It's not like crazy healthy, but it certainly isn't the large mint oreo blizzard I was making a habit of eating almost every night.  It's just peanut butter, frozen banana, greek yogurt, and a tiny bit of chocolate chips.  It's delicious.  I store it in individual 150 calorie servings.  Bam.  Done.  So -- This one should help me clean up my diet w/o doing anything crazy. 

b2293a07143c32dd4cd10a97162e7e5b.jpg

3.) Run 1x/week.  

My cardio is horrendous right now.  I've always had exercise induced asthma & never really been able to keep up w/ anything that involves the smallest bit of cardio.  My fiance & my dogs love to trail run.  Hell, I can barely keep up walking w/ them, let alone running.  I always want to go big or go home.. again.. I fail at that.  1x/week though, that should be doable. This should challenge my willpower muscle and then next challenge I'll add a day, so on and so forth.  I'm just going to start off doing C25K Week 2 for this month.  It keeps me moving and gives me some rest.  Eventually, I would like to be able to run a solid mile w/o walking. 

Scoring - I'm not the biggest "gamer", I'm more of a nerdy bookworm nerd. ; ) so the scoring things that some of ya'll do exhaust me.  I'm going to do this old school.  I'm just going to add a red star for my run each week, and a purple corner for my daily eating to my calendar.  Then of course, I'll update ya'll at some frequency.  I'm going to hold myself accountable for 1x/week, but I'll try to do more.  I like to use these forums like a journal kind of... ridiculous selfies after workouts and food pictures. : ) 

Here is the first ridiculous selfie. This was post kettlebell class Monday night.

a84ead893e104fb769e30143f6c1701e.jpg

Here goes nothing.... ! 

• Like 2

Current Challenge Thread ---> Here!

Mom. Wife. Engineer. Kicking Ass & Taking Names!

One of the gal's in our Facebook group gave me a great idea for loot today! Fractional plates. 

If any of you have followed me before you know that I was gifted an awesome Rogue squat rack, bar bells, and bumpers for Christmas, but I don't have any plates less than 10#s.  It makes it sort of hard to level up! Bam. 25 xp!

Ohhh! I forgot my selfie today.  I've gotten out of the habit I guess. : ( However, my friend & I went to the gym on lunch and did NF Gym 5A.  That's assisted pull-ups, goblet lunges, & dips. 

The only things I've eaten today have been yogurt and my chicken, brussel sprout, cauliflower concoction I made for lunch all week.  So today's going super well.

Ice cream is a struggle! 2 recipes my wife and I figured out are a healthy sorbet: Basically make a smoothie and freeze it in ice cubes then toss it in the blender (Our smoothie included white wine and strawberries...delicious). Second recipe is do the same, but with a protein shake! I discovered this one when I added ice to my shake and it started to turn into ice cream...it was the most pleasant of surprises!

Keep up the good work. I like how you created a way that works for you! Still trying to do that here, I'm constantly tossed between the RPG gaming way of setting goals and a grown-up way...if that exists. 

• Like 1

Human Urban Ranger

Level 2: STR: 5, DEX: 4, STA: 2, CON: 3, WIS: 4, CHA: 1

"He must become greater; I must become less." John 3:30 

CHALLENGE

I can't believe week 1 is almost over. I came into the game late though! : ) 

1.) As you can see from my very first post, I've gotten in all of my workouts this week & haven't had a soda! Boom Day 17!!

2.) I may still have to rethink the food goals.  I thought the 5 ingredient thing would work but so far it hasn't.  We had a friend over for dinner last night & my fiance made a delicious summer meal... read: not healthy.  Hot dogs, hamburgers, corn on the cob, potato salad (homemade) & homemade cherry cobbler w/ ice cream. Arrrggghh. He's trying to be healthy too, and that really has been our only meal this week that was total crap. Anyhow, I had my prepped lunch today which was chicken w/ roasted brussel sprouts & cauliflower.  It was delicious.  Dinner is russian roulette tonight because I'm eating w/ my parents. 

3.) I haven't done my run yet this week.  I'll either do it tonight or Sunday.  

• Like 1

Week 2!! Here goes nothing:

1.) Workouts & soda are good! I made it through yet another family event w/ 0 soda.  That's such a big deal, I almost have the MIL & mom on the same page.  They've stopped buying cherry coke for when I come over.  Whoot.  My chart looks phenomenal. 

2.) Food goals.  Sucking.  I *think* my goal for this challenege is going to be simply to eat Paleo for breakfast & lunch 80% of the time.  So that leaves me 2ish variances for lunch/breakfast a week.  I'm also including yogurt in this for my paleo-ish.  I have no issues w/ dairy & love me some yogurt.  Dinner I will watch my portions but not put any constraints on it.

3.) I failed the running last week.  I'll do two this week and count that as a win I think. : ) 

Mid-week update:

1.) Still solid.  Nothing new or really even exciting to report. Oh, except for a see a whole lot of BW squats in my future for the mini-challenge! : ) 

2.) Yesterday was a failure.  I just wasn't prepared. : / So I'm just using them as my variances for this week.  Today breakfast was yogurt so ok.  Lunch was steak & a sweet potato.  Also on point. I think this may be a sustainable small change for me. 

3.) I did the thing this morning! I got up and ran.  Here's the deal, my fiance get's up for work at 6:15a for work, normally I sleep until 7:30a then get up for work myself.  Yesterday, I got up early to volunteer w/ the local United Way which meant that I got up at the same time as he did.  It wasn't so bad.  I didn't die.  So this morning, when he woke me up to say good bye.. I laid in bed and mumbled to myself a bit, but ended up getting up and heading to the gym. I got last week's C25K workout in today!!!! It was pouring down rain & gross, and I still chose to get out of bed and run.  And.  It felt amazing. 

Here's a pre run selfie at 7am! Ugh. I hate mornings. 7a12349523c0fb202a3ee5c751e979dd.jpg

Fitbit Proof

ff1bc19d455da513584d6484161b655b.jpg

Treadmill Proof

31b53b579dc68c04c85976ba4218f54e.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jmk said:

How's it going?  Haven't heard from you in the Dowager yet this week!

Heeeyy-- So here's a funny story... I've been checking the main mini-challenge all week and Week 2 wasn't updated.  I'm like ok, maybe someone forgot something.. la ti da.. went on w/ my week.  I got bored yesterday and read through that entire thread... at which point I found the squat challenge.  Whoops, so I'd missed half the week.  In the good news dept, my workout on Monday had 40 squats in it... and I just did another 20 for you while I was typing this... we're hitting the gym again on lunch and I'm going to tack some extra squats on there! Maybe Cindy when I get home just for shits & giggles. 

Anyhow.. goal wise I'm still going strong!!

1.) No news is good news! No soda & my 3 workouts are going well. 

2.) Breakfast today was yogurt w/ a snack of celery & almond butter before lunch.  Lunch is a hodge podge of random fruits & veggies w/ some leftover chicken.  

3.) I ran again this morning!! That's 2 days in a row ya'll.  AND I LIKED IT!!

799905ad20765053a78093a74ed13f09.jpg

9ef4767c4e7f65e1e124c03c36301761.jpg

1 minute ago, adorkable2007 said:

Heeeyy-- So here's a funny story... I've been checking the main mini-challenge all week and Week 2 wasn't updated.  I'm like ok, maybe someone forgot something.. la ti da.. went on w/ my week.  I got bored yesterday and read through that entire thread... at which point I found the squat challenge.  Whoops, so I'd missed half the week.  In the good news dept, my workout on Monday had 40 squats in it... and I just did another 20 for you while I was typing this... we're hitting the gym again on lunch and I'm going to tack some extra squats on there! Maybe Cindy when I get home just for shits & giggles. 

Anyhow.. goal wise I'm still going strong!!

1.) No news is good news! No soda & my 3 workouts are going well. 

2.) Breakfast today was yogurt w/ a snack of celery & almond butter before lunch.  Lunch is a hodge podge of random fruits & veggies w/ some leftover chicken.  

3.) I ran again this morning!! That's 2 days in a row ya'll.  AND I LIKED IT!!

Sounds awesome!  Have a great day!

Goal Weight: 145

Current Challenge

Found you! Good job getting in all those workouts so far.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Friday check in --

1.) Still going strong.  Day 24 without soda!!!  : ) 

2.) Breakfast & lunch are exactly the same as yesterday.  Thrilling I know.  I've got to do some thinking on what kind of protein I want to eat w/ my veggies next week.  I'm tired of chicken. 

3.) I've actually managed to get in 3 days of running this week.  I've kind of enjoyed it.  My calves & abs are killing me.  It is really funny to me that my abs are sore. I never would have guessed! 

850bd3d60cb7935ba04d6cd3e1e64813.jpg

• Like 1

The abs are sore both from holding yourself upright and the extra strain on breathing. Well done getting those runs in.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

@Tanktimus the Encourager seriously!? I suppose I've just never ran enough to notice!! 

@Darger glad to see you're hitting your community goals! ; ) 

Otherwise, I had a fabulous weekend depsite the weather.  Saturday was HOT, HOT, HOT so I just sat on the porch at my families antique store w/ my mama and took a nice (and well deserved) rest day.  Food was on point though since mom serves hamburgers & I don't like them w/ a bun anyhow. ; ) 

Sunday .. well when it rains it pours.  I started the day out w/ my hour long spin class which I loooove.  It always makes the day better.  Then we did our normal family dinner at my soon-to-be inlaws house.  They're very old school, so everything they have to eat may not be totally "healthy" but it is all made from scratch & generally home grown.  We had an Asian dish yesterday call beef & lime.  It was delicious.  That part of the day was phenomenal.  Went to Meijer, got groceries, saved $60 on what would have been a $200 bill. Bam.  Then, came home & started our Sunday chores.  We only do the cleaning/laudry/etc on Sundays so this is our thing.  I was sitting on the bed putting up laundry like always.  and I hear an odd dripping noise in our master bath.  I'm thinking, maybe we didn't get one of the faucets shut off? Nope, of course not.  We had a ginormous storm yesterday & the roof was leaking.  I mean, it was leaking into the bathroom.. maybe it could have just leaked in the tub or sink instead.. nope of course not.. it dripped right on the floor.  Ugh.  So we'll be dealing w/ that mess tonight.  

Otherwise, I have NFA Gym Level 5A planned for lunch today & a Kettlebell AMP'ed class this evening.  I'm almost to an entire month w/o soda!!!

• Like 1

Keep up the good work on those workouts.

It ended up being a double gym day. Sort of. NFA Gym Level 5A for strength and my kettlebell class for cardio. We use extremely light weight but it really gets the heart beat going.

I'm contemplating starting Stronglifts.. I'm getting a lil bored w the NF work outs and I can't level up yet because I haven't hit my chin up. I like the idea of the easily trackable progression of stronglifts.. Hmmm..

27bf43ce51e5f055b55316f218e08c1e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, adorkable2007 said:

I'm contemplating starting Stronglifts.. I'm getting a lil bored w the NF work outs and I can't level up yet because I haven't hit my chin up. I like the idea of the easily trackable progression of stronglifts.. Hmmm..

The barbell is your friend. The barbell is life. The iron calls to you. Answer the call.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, adorkable2007 said:

I like the idea of the easily trackable progression of stronglifts..

I really really REALLY liked the stronglifts app when I did it. Simple and slick looking. I recommend it. 

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

@Lifter5 -- I think I'm hopping on that boat beginning on Friday -- it's a July thing for me. : ) 

Plusss -- I think I've figured out my next goals for July.  This trend is working well for me so.  In July, I will continue 3 workouts / week & no soda and add two more. The two newbies will be cutting out bread/pasta/etc & having veggies w/ 2 out of 3 meals per day.  

Today was a rest day for me.  I'm feeling the double session yesterday so I figured today was a day to take it easy.  Tonight's productivity goal is to get my bat cave cleaned out.  IE, I have an amazing squat rack / work out room at home that was waaay to cramped up until about a week ago.. when I sold the desk that was in it so I could have more space.  Since then, all the shit out of the desk has been sitting randomly all over the room, thus making all of my wonderful equipment unusable.  I'm going to start strong lifts at home so I need that space! : ) 

Oh & I get loot on Thursday!!! I'm buying myself a set of 5# plates for home since I only have a pair each of: 10#, 15#, & 25#.  It's kind of hard to increase incrementally with those weights!!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, adorkable2007 said:

I'm buying myself a set of 5# plates for home since I only have a pair each of: 10#, 15#, & 25#.  It's kind of hard to increase incrementally with those weights!!

niiiiiiiiice. Can't wait to see your threads once you start SL

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

Workout 4 in today! : ) I've leveled up my weights over the last month which is AMAZING! Here was today's workouts vs this same workout 1 month ago:

NFA Gym Level 5 (sorta; I guess I screwed up the rep scheme on the external rotation. whoops)

4 rds:

5 reps Deadlift - Started at 50#s - Today was 90#s

5 reps OH Press - Started w/ 25#s - Today was 40#s

5 reps DB row - Started w/ 10#s - Today was 20#s

5 reps each arm external rotation - Started w/ 5#s - Today was 10#s

I'm pretty proud of those numbers.  They are by far not my highest ever, but since starting over and using stupid dumbbells or Smith machines at Planet Fitness we're doing ok.  I got my Fort of Solidtude cleaned out last night so that I can lift w/ my actual barbell at home.  Thank God. 

Now -- I'm off to ponder my goals some more.

• Like 3

Guys! It's the last day of the month.  I know it's not the end of the challenge.  Let's face it.  I'm using this sort of like a battle log. Buuut I'm sooo excited because I have successfully finished 1 month of 2 goals probably for the first time ever.  Seriously.  I feel like I'm on top of the world.  My calendar is gorgeous! I'm waiting for this months #goalgetter calendar to come out from fitlosophy so I can print the next one. Eeek.  It's soo pretty.

d4df8694b7852451cf78d29492ef2196.jpg

I'm still waffling on July's goals.  Granted.  I'm not going to start them until next Tuesday.  I'll go thru the weekend w/ no soda, of course, but I don't want to set myself up for failure on a holiday weekend.  We don't have big plans this weekend, but I'm sure some great food & choice adult beverages will be consumed. ; ) 

My thoughts on the whole goal thing keep changing, but I think I've finally settled on do-able ones.

Goal 3: No empty carbs. IE bread, pasta, cakes, cookies, etc etc -- Corn / potatoes / sweet potatoes are ok only after a workout. 

Goal 4: Eat an actual sit down breakfast 3 days/week.  I'm hoping this will jumpstart my metabolism & establish a morning routine that is better than my current.  Roll out of bed, wash face/brush teeth, throw on clothes, & get to work.  : ) 

Goal 5: This isn't so much a goal -- but the God forsaken scale is going into the closet for a month!!!! 

• Like 2