Suzy Q Rangers On

Sooooooo, my challenges have slowly lost steam over the past few months.  I'm online a heck of a lot less thanks mostly to work being a whole lot more demanding.  And yet I yearn to be here, and wear my NF hoodie with pride!  So, a battle log it is.  I need to be here when I can.  And say things like:

1. My kid accused me of being a wimpy ranger when asked to help with the extension ladder.  So, I pulled the darn thing off the wall and carried it over my shoulder.  Fifteen minutes later, a tree swing was swinging high.

2. I ran an easy 5k around the neighborhood by accident - I remembered the wrong route, and thought I was running far less.

3. I took and ACED the cub scout camp swim test after many years of avoiding the plunge.

4. I tore up my hands on the playground yesterday.  Hot monkey bars are no joke.

So I'm back here in the battle logs to have a base to Ranger On and catch up with amazing rebels as inspiration and time permits.

• Like 4

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

Rangerly deeds of the week:

1.  Dear husband inspired me on Thursday.  I was hemming and hawing about my morning run.  The clouds looked menacing.  I was considering maybe reading my book and "running" on the elliptical instead.  But then...in saunters  my sweetie, covered in sweat from his even-earlier morning run.  Ok, fine!  If he can do it, so can I.  I dragged myself outside, but stayed close in the neighborhood just in case of storms.  A little less distance, but faster than normal.  One split even came in less than an 11 minute mile!  Woo hoo!

2.  Two words.  Adult swim.  10 minutes of swimming blissful laps with NO splashing.   Ahhhhhhhh.

• Like 2

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

On 6/23/2016 at 9:26 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Ah....here you are!  

On 6/26/2016 at 2:07 PM, weaver said:

Nice!

On 6/28/2016 at 7:58 PM, Yraen said:

Hi there! Was worried that we had completely lost you. Way to go on the easy 5k and all the other awesome.

You guys are the best.  I figured I'd be mostly hiding out over here in the battle logs, but you tracked me down.  Thanks for thinking of me!

A couple rangerly deeds lately:

• Rented pedal boats for AN HOUR of pedaling.  Lovely day to be on the lake.  Legs felt it the next day!
  • Followed the boating with a hike containing not just one...but three...letter boxes to find.  My family was very patient with me as we had to puzzle our way through some sketchy clues.  We also discovered some really cool rock formations while hiking.
  • Evening kick ball in the back yard is now a thing in my house.  My youngest son brings a ton of energy to the game.
  • The morning bike ride is also a thing now.  It's just a few minutes through the neighborhood with my kids, so not much exercise.  But it's great to start the day doing something active we all enjoy.
  • I've been making excuses lately because of my torn up hands, but I got back to doing my push ups this week.  I will not lose them E.V.E.R.
  • Like 3

suzyQlou * Ranger    

3 hours ago, suzyQlou said:

You guys are the best.  I figured I'd be mostly hiding out over here in the battle logs, but you tracked me down.  Thanks for thinking of me!

• Rented pedal boats for AN HOUR of pedaling.  Lovely day to be on the lake.  Legs felt it the next day!
  • Followed the boating with a hike containing not just one...but three...letter boxes to find.  My family was very patient with me as we had to puzzle our way through some sketchy clues.  We also discovered some really cool rock formations while hiking.
  • Evening kick ball in the back yard is now a thing in my house.  My youngest son brings a ton of energy to the game.
  • The morning bike ride is also a thing now.  It's just a few minutes through the neighborhood with my kids, so not much exercise.  But it's great to start the day doing something active we all enjoy.
  • I've been making excuses lately because of my torn up hands, but I got back to doing my push ups this week.  I will not lose them E.V.E.R.

I love everything about this post!

Nice job, SqL!

~Emerald_Dragonfly

Level 13 Warrior

6 hours ago, suzyQlou said:

Letterboxing! As a fan of all things remotely related to treasure hunting I very much approve. And right on getting back to push ups!

It's been a month since I last checked in, so here are some rangerly deeds to share:

A few weeks ago, I pulled a drowning child (not mine) out of a local swimming pool.  I felt mostly panicked, but also a big rangerly.  I am planning to sign up for a cpr class...maybe with my son...before summer is over.  Luckily we were at a public pool with a lifeguard nearby.  I need to feel more in control in situations like this.  Funny how I had forgotten any instructions on handling water emergencies that I had ever learned in the past.

Also I spent a long weekend with my family at Shendandoah National Park a few days ago.  Plenty of hiking to waterfalls and lovely views.

0TLbk7d.jpg

We even met a nice bear a few feet away from Skyline Drive.

GWZ2U8u.jpg

Gotta say, my eating wasn't especially on track on vacation. And I had some woes with a sore ankle that just doesn't always cooperate.  So I'm newly motivated to come back here and dig back into the lifelong journey I've begun.

• Like 4

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Mostly back on track this week.  Eating goals met 3/5 and workouts 4/5.  Babysteps are needed yet again, but I'll get there :)

• Like 2

suzyQlou * Ranger    

On 8/9/2016 at 11:55 AM, Elastigirl said:

Wow, way to Ranger life, saving a drown child, what an awesome thing to do, glad you were there. Fun hike pictures too!

Good to see you, Elastigirl.  Thanks for the encouragement!

suzyQlou * Ranger    

On August 12, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

How has this week been going for you?

Thanks for checking in. Last week was pretty good. Hit 3/5 eating goals and 4/5 workouts. At the beach now and staying mostly on track. Dragged my butt out of bed to run this morning, and have enjoyed swimming with my boys. They have FINALLY discovered there's an ocean here...not just sand!

• Like 1

suzyQlou * Ranger    

More of the same last week - 2/5 eating goals and 4/5 workouts.

But this week is off to a better start.  I managed to get 2/2 workouts in so far despite BACK TO SCHOOL changes to my morning schedule.  This year my kids are split between elementary and middle schools.  So my mornings are just tricky...until we figure out a good routine.

Oh, and it was totally worth it to bake and eat chocolate chip cookies for when the kiddos got off the bus yesterday.  I'm not regretting that bit of goal-missing at all.

frog-eating-a-cookie.png

suzyQlou * Ranger    

I'll start with the good news for the week:

My family took our first ever family bike ride on an ACTUAL BIKE TRAIL.  Success!  Granted, we rode for only four miles, but we proved we can do it.

I did some new monkey bar stunts at a new playground.  One set had a V shape in the middle that I was able to get down (but not yet up).  It felt really freaky, but after the third try, I did it!.  The other was short, and I was able to cross it with bent knees.  Yay!

And now the other news.  I hit only 1/5 on my weekly eating goal.  The scale was indeed scary this morning (even though scales are bad, etc).  I've been maintaining a pretty constant weight since April, so this might be just the wake-up call I need to get back on track.  5/5 on the workouts, though, since I'm counting the playground workout.  At least my heart is in the right place.

I started planning a new "marble jar" mentality for the eating goal.  When I self-talk myself out of a bad choice, I reward myself with a marble.  First prize for a full marble jar is going to be ???  Well, I'm not sure yet, but it will be good.  I used to have a rewards system in place for every 5 or 10 days I met my eating goals.  That system kind of fell apart, though, after a while.  It's easy to binge after the first mistake per day.

ae596420e79ec50109c3154baf7ca93f.jpg

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Two great things:

1.  Volleyball started again!  Yay!  My rec league takes a break over the summer, but it felt awesome to be back in the game last night.

2.  I finished building my son's floating steps.  He fancies himself a future American Ninja Warrior, and I am happy to encourage him!  I may have over-engineered these things so that a full sized Ranger could use 'em easily :) 

M6WnXUy.jpg?1

• Like 3

suzyQlou * Ranger    

7 hours ago, suzyQlou said:

Two great things:

1.  Volleyball started again!  Yay!  My rec league takes a break over the summer, but it felt awesome to be back in the game last night.

2.  I finished building my son's floating steps.  He fancies himself a future American Ninja Warrior, and I am happy to encourage him!  I may have over-engineered these things so that a full sized Ranger could use 'em easily :) 

M6WnXUy.jpg?1

Coolest mom ever!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27