I've mostly been a lurker in the forums, but have appreciated the insights and encouragement I've received from this community.  I started my fitness journey about four years ago, shortly after my father's last open heart surgery, with the goal of getting into shape, losing weight, and shaking the specter of heart disease and cancer from my life.

I've made pretty good progress, albeit somewhat slow, losing about 60 pounds over the last four years.  I think being treated for low-Testosterone was a major factor, because it gave me the energy I needed to start exercising, lifting weights, and making the dietary changes necessary to reach my goals.

But I just suffered my first major setback (if you don't count the minor alligator bite to my hand a couple of years ago -- Over 1-1/2 years alligator bite free!).  While squatting on Friday, I felt a slight tinge in my left adductor area.  No pain, so I set the bar back, rested 10 seconds, and then tried to do one more rep.  I collapsed in pain as my left leg gave out and I felt an excruciating pain and tear in my groin.  Luckily, the squat rack had guards in place that prevented the bar from falling on me.

After two visits to the doctor and an ortho consult, the diagnosis is in:  severely torn left adductor maximus muscle and inguinal hernia.  Waiting to hear from the surgeon now for information on hernia repair, but ortho doctor thinks the adductor will have to heal before I can have surgery.

So after over 4 years of dedicated effort at fitness, I find myself unable to pick up over 5 pounds (per doctors orders) and unable to flex or walk without pain in my groin.  The prognosis is months for recovery of just the hernia.  Not sure how long for the torn adductor.

Needless to say, I am severely disheartened, the "just go ahead and eat a half gallon of ice cream because you're hurt and nothing is going to matter at this point" disheartened.  Not real sure what to do at this point health-wise other than to carefully watch my diet since exercise (even walking) is out the window for the next several months.  (Note: I'm done with the pity party - no more ice cream - back to watching my diet).

Any advice on how to continue to make progress or just to maintain my gains during this long period of recovery and injury-imposed inactivity?

Thanks,

Greg Lee

Valdosta, GA