*Insert Rebel Yell Here*

Hey,

My name is Brandon. I know, totally a rocking introduction so far right? Well, where do I start but with my name? I'm between 5'10" and 6'0" (Estimation), pushing 202lbs last checked this morning with no food and a glass of water. I'm falling into the acceptable range of the Body Fat% chart (Not obese, but not Physically fit) with around a 36" Waistline. Calorie Cutting and intermittent fasting has brought me down from the 240-260lb range of weight I was at a year ago. At this point, I'm more interested in getting Fit, with a healthy diet, routine and lifestyle for the sake of my mental health (Depression and anxiety ugh...) I'm happy to have lost the weight I have been struggling with for years, but I know its not enough, and I'm very tired of feeling like crap all the time. Diet and a poor routine are to blame and I know this, I have no workout routine, and eat whatever I get my hands on. (Nothing fast food cause that bucket got kicked with liquid calories). What I need are ways to track progress to keep up my motivation to continue to improve, a workout routine that I can stick to and adapt over time to suit my needs (Like when body-weight training becomes less productive than starting out), and since 80% of this is diet, I need help with food as I am inept in this area. I'm looking forward to something like a Ranger/Assassin hybrid to point towards a general direction for my goals--->http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/05/10/real-life-role-playing-what-is-your-profession/<---

I've been through the wringer over the past few years and it has affected me in multiple ways. Physically, emotionally, and mentally. (Guess that's why its the wringer huh?) Well, I've decided that it's time to change, and I know I cannot hope to do this alone (That's where y'all come in). My family, from the earliest time I can remember, has had a dastardly aversion to anything green. Everything is flour, rice, pasta, bread etc. I can't tell you how much I never want to see another box of hamburger helper again! Alas, as an adult it has left me without any knowledge of how a proper eating habit, portion control, or vegetable fit into life. I am forced to turn my life on its head and spin it around in order to see what way is up or down anymore, and I need you all for support, guidance, and information (aside from what I have been able to gather so far). 

Speaking of what information I have managed to gather so far, it is just overwhelming learning all I have seen on the Nerd Fitness blog. It makes me happy to learn, but daunting to see how large of a mountain I must climb. I know I want to get to the top, and find the next mountain. I need to start one step, one foothold, and one breath at a time. Please help with any advice you have regarding meals, recipes, shopping lists, workout routines, meal planning, honestly anything!!! I'm just ready to leave this life behind, and step into a new skin.

Tomorrow I start with the beginner body-weight workout routine/circuit outlined here--->http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/<--

So far the plan is stretching, some jump-rope to warm-up, body-weight circuit, and to do this every other day for starters (Documentation included if someone could explain the best way to actually document these things properly). Without a good base of nutrition though, I'll just be trying to outrun my fork, which I know I can't do. I'm fighting a lifetime of bad food ideals, and I am quitting cold turkey, which I know i can do as long as I have some good recipes for that turkey! I'm practicing the intermittent fasting, cut out all liquid calories (Yay H2O and Black Coffee), and watching my actual calorie intake, its my quality of calories that is awful right now as well as the ever elusive "Balanced Meal". I'm open to all Paleo and non-Paleo ideas. Heck, I'm open to any ideas so long as its not a twinkie diet XD.

Thanks for taking time to read this as I know it is long winded, and I look forward to the collective wisdom of everyone up here who cares to throw in their two cents. "Help Obi-wan, you're my only hope" Yeah, NF You guys are my last and only hope here to escape the pull of the dark side. (Trust me, anxiety in general has had me reconsidering posting dozens of times over the course of typing this out) Getting control of diet, and a healthy regiment is a step I hope to use to conquer both depression and anxiety before I resort to the pharmaceutical option (which I fear)

Anyway, that's enough about me for the time being. Seriously, kudos to anyone who actually cares enough to read all of this!

• Like 2

Welcome to the Rebellion Brandon.  There are plenty of people and resources here to help you with your diet and cooking skills.

What is considered a "good" diet or a "balanced" meal varies depending on who you ask (even here LOL).

If you want to find specific recipes (depending on you cooking skill level), there is a recipe section here in the general forums and I know the Rangers Challenge Thread (and believe some of the other guilds as well) have recipe sections in them.

If you need help with your cooking skill level just give me a shout or tag me (type @ and the person's screenname) and I will do anything I can to help.

• Like 1

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

Hey! 

(Apologies if this gets a bit garbled, I'm starting to get tired and the translation from brain to mouth gets a little bit "squiggly" when that happens. Yay for prescription pharmaceuticals!)

So, you have a tough path in front of you, huh? It's really hard to break free of the habits built throughout childhood and then reinforced as adults. The fact that you have recognised it and even want to change is something to be proud of in itself. And yeah, it's a long, slow journey, but it will be worth it in the end. If you do it slowly and build new habits then then there's far less chance of you falling back into old patterns when the initial enthusiasm wears off. 

You said that you wanted to start with bodyweight exercises until "bodyweight training becomes less productive". Well.... Have you seen where bodyweight training can take you? You would be amazed at what you can achieve using just your body and some very basic equipment. For example...

50683ce08f3a7b1d0adc552901f12ddb.jpg

Meet Waldo. He's a member who has undergone a fantastic transformation using nothing but bodyweight exercises. You can see the full thing on his website strengthunbound and he explains the progression of exercises to keep the difficulty up. 

Now I'm not telling you that you shouldn't lift weights or anything, but since you seem to like the bodyweight circuits I thought I'd share this with you. Even if it's just for (a little more) inspiration. ;)

As for food, diet, and veggies - there are tons of posts in the Recepi Book section but there are usually lots of people in the same boat as yourself. There's bound to be lots of ideas on how to start introducing healthier options into your diet, but you could always start a thread for people who are trying to do this and get others to join in and share ideas. (If there's not one there already!) I've certainly seen lots of people have this as one of their challenge goals. 

I saw your response in matty.lou's thread so I hope I haven't repeated anything in here. Sorry if I have, lol!

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Thank you both for the information, as I am new to forums in general when it comes to posting rather than searching for information. I saw your reply on @matty.lou's post  @Guzzi and will try to take the information there, and here to heart. The last thing I want to do is become overenthusiastic and fall flat on my face across the board again. Thanks also for the bodyweight link too, I'm loving digging through that blog as well and I'm finding quite a few things I needed (His calorie counting tips are extremely helpful since I was a bit lost on how to do that without a "nutrition label")<-----I wish I could type that more sarcastically HA! With the small space he has, he has been able to do everything he needs, which fits my situation perfectly. 

@bker1370 Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate the offer of help (I'll need it) Question, must I wait for July 7th to join the 4 week challenge? If so Ill probably just do a mini challenge for myself inbetween now and then so I can get in the habit of doing this.

Thanks again to you both for taking the time to read and respond to me! @Guzzi, I'll be keeping a particular eye out for your posts and replies as they seem to be very informative and encouraging from what I've seen!

No you don't have to wait, you can jump in any time just make it a two week challenge the first time 

• Like 1

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

Hi @pyrotech0001! I'm in a similar boat. Lost a little weight, want to focus on bodyweight exercises, and eat way too much pasta. (My neighbor just gifted me pizza... What to DOOO?) I also tried IF last year, and although it seemed to work for a while, I didn't keep the focus.

Thanks for the strength unbound link, @Guzzi.

• Like 1

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

On 26 June 2016 at 2:22 AM, pyrotech0001 said:

Awesome, I'll jump right into the thick of things then! @bker1370

Just had a thought, if you start a challenge now then it would be worth posting something in the "chat" thread for your guild. Just so that the guild leader knows you've joined in and can keep an eye on you/help you out with any thing. It's not necessary but might be helpful. ;)

@M_J you're welcome! It's a really good site with lots of good info. Waldo can sometimes come across as a bit gruff when he posts on here (simply because he doesn't sugarcoat anything) but he's a really helpful guy with a LOT of knowledge. And an awesome six pack. ;)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously