Water... does it actually matter?!

Eugenides

This has been something I've been curious about for a while. Does it actually make a difference to drink 8 glasses of plain water a day (versus, say, tea or coffee or other non-caloric beverages, or whatever liquid you get from food). I've always hated drinking cold water unless it's incredibly hot outside, and I really don't like plain water in general (sparkling is okay). I'm definitely not dehydrated, but I usually only drink water if I'm at the gym or particularly thirsty, typically opting for hot tea or coffee or sparkling water instead. 

Have you actually noticed a difference in terms of training when you are drinking more water, or do you know of any studies about it? 

Eugenides, level 1 thief assassin

STR 3|DEX 4|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 2|CHA 1

Short term goals:

• lose 10 lbs. by 12/31/18
  • get mile pace to 10 min./mile

Ambitious long term goals:

• 100 standard push-ups without a break
  • Hand-stand push up

“He whines, he complains, he ducks out of the most obvious responsibility. He is vain, petty and maddening, but he doesn't ever quit.” 

2 hours ago, Hazard said:

Drink more, or less, as needed.

do.gif

Eugenides, level 1 thief assassin

STR 3|DEX 4|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 2|CHA 1

Short term goals:

• lose 10 lbs. by 12/31/18
  • get mile pace to 10 min./mile

Ambitious long term goals:

• 100 standard push-ups without a break
  • Hand-stand push up

“He whines, he complains, he ducks out of the most obvious responsibility. He is vain, petty and maddening, but he doesn't ever quit.” 

I drink a lot of water.  There have been tons of studies about how much water to drink.  Some say just get enough water through all sources.  Some advocate drinking explicitly a certain amount of water.  I drink at least a gallon of water a day.  And if we're counting when I take a 2qt pouch of crystal light to make a gallon of weak lemonade, I probably drink close to 1.5 gallons of water a day.  I don't base this off any study.  I just apparently need this amount of water. 

I feel better when I'm well hydrated.  When I am dehydrated, my muscles and joints feel a little achy.  If I get dehydrated, my weight pinballs around by several pounds (down a few pounds from what I'm missing in water and then up several pounds as I hydrate).  I sleep better when I'm well hydrated. 

I go through a lot of water for a few reasons.  I'm fairly large (120kg) so there's some economy of scale.  I get a good sweat in probably 6 days a week (3 days lifting, 3 days other activities).  I don't make a special effort to drink that much.  It comes pretty naturally.  I think ultimately, you just need to pay attention to hydration and see about how much water makes sense for you.  I would not want to cut back to 8 cups a day.

• Like 2

Intro

Challenges: #1#2#3#4, #5

Do you feel dehydrated, what color is your pee? 

Some of that stuff about not counting beverages with caffeine is within reason. If you are someone who drinks caffeine regularly and your body is used to it, it's not going to have a huge diuretic effect. VS someone who never drinks coffee, if they have some, then yes they might pee a bunch. But we build a tolerance to the effects of caffeine. 

Being in the medical field I'll tell you this from that perspective: ANYTHING WITH LIQUID COUNTS AS A FLUID AND YOUR BODY WILL GAIN FLUIDS FROM IT. This includes fruit, pudding, soup, ice cream, tea, coffee, water, etc. if it contains a liquid your body will get the liquid out of it. If someone has a fluid restriction for a medical reason they are told that includes everything that contains high levels of liquid including soup ice cream etc. 

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

Tea and coffee are actually not that great at hydrating you - they generally have the opposite effect. 

They're great low cal drinks (depending on what you put in them of course) but not a very good source for getting water/hydrated - which seems so silly because they're made of water! 

Have you tried flavouring your water with fruits? Or having warmer water if you don't like cold?

2 hours ago, LadyLameness said:

Tea and coffee are actually not that great at hydrating you - they generally have the opposite effect. 

Sorry to come back on this but this is a medical myth which has been repeatedly debunked.

Unless you are unaccustomed to caffeine, tea or coffee won't cause any increased urinary activity which could cause dehydration.

Great summary on the BBC here: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140402-are-coffee-and-tea-dehydrating

• Like 1