Crunchtime

pyrotech0001

So, I'm two weeks tardy to the party, with two weeks remaining. By that logic it seems its time for me to put in 200% effort! Here are my goals!

DIET

Make at least 1 meal a day completely paleo

1 day a week of Intermittent Fasting

Fitness

Follow the Beginner Body Weight Routine 3 times per week

Use Couch to 5K app 3 times per week (Not same day as Body Weight Circuit)

Level up Life

Devote 10 minutes to reading every day

~Brandon~

• Like 1

Just finished my first day running with c25k. Boy was I surprised by how winded I was by the end of it. Ate a banana 15 minutes prior to diving in. Warmed up beforehand with some jumprope, jumping jacks, squats, and pushups. Cool down involved stretching in various ways and light yoga. All in all, I feel like it's a great start to an even greater life.

• Like 2

Also, having re-read your introduction just now, I would encourage you pop into the ranger general chat thread and introduce yourself.  We are a very friendly bunch.  I saw you mention battling depression and anxiety and I know a number of our member deal with the same battles (I count myself fortunate to not be one of them) and likely will have a great deal of advice to help you with those parts of your journey.

Also, since you are starting with us on week 3 I will copy our top encourager's weekly battle speech over here for you.

Credit for the following belongs to Tanktimus the Encourager

"Rangers, the lies of week 2 were no match for the truth. We have conquered and stand tall as week 2 fades into oblivion. Week 3 now comes before us. The theme for this week is HOLD FAST. There will be temptation to let off the gas, to take it easy. We've done well in the first two weeks haven't we? We can cruise through the second half of the challenge. NO! HOLD FAST and we will conquer. HOLD FAST and we will get stronger, faster, more flexible, and bigger or smaller (depending on goals, possibly both). HOLD FAST to the discipline that has brought you this far. HOLD FAST to the goals on which you are focused. You are not working on your goals to get to some goal that will let you quit worrying about fitness for the rest of your life. You are building your body and mind so that you can be healthy. We are not striving towards a destination, we are striving to walk the path in a worthy manner. HOLD FAST to that path, and do not stray. We are Rangers aboard the Ranger Train, where the only gear is forward and the only speed is FASTER! Hold Fast to the tracks, lean into the curves and stand ready for bumps and jumps. Life will try to throw us so HOLD FAST to your place on the train to health.

You are wiser, stronger, faster and better looking than you think you are. Don't quit now, HOLD FAST to your goals.

You got this.

Hold+Fast+3-15.jpg?format=2500w

"

• Like 2

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

I'm so happy to see you all so interested and encouraging. I didn't realize how much it would mean till I saw it. That being said, it is with a heavy heart that I reminisce on my failures thus-far as well as my successes. 

DIET

Make at least 1 meal a day completely paleo- Failed (I See this requires more planning than I had anticipated, and may have been setting the bar a bit high at the moment)

1 day a week of Intermittent Fasting- Success (thus-far as well as being able to do it on more than one occasion so far. I'm happy doing this twice a week in the future.)

Fitness

Follow the Beginner Body Weight Routine 3 times per week- Failed (I neglected this for reasons described below.)

Use Couch to 5K app 3 times per week (Not same day as Body Weight Circuit)- Success (I'm quite happy with this app and its gradient for training)

Level up Life

Devote 10 minutes to reading every day- Success ( I have also gone beyond this expectation which makes me quite happy, and thinking of adding in writing again in the next challenge as I do so miss it.)

Between Saturday and Sunday(Working shift of 7pm Sat-7am Sun) I had an overwhelming amount of work to do,appointments to keep, and commitments made in advance. I was pulled just a bit too far that day. Got off work, ran my 1st day of c25k, went to church, doctors appointment, then family dinner all before getting home and going to bed around 11pm sunday evening. Over 32 hours operating and then I collapsed in exhaustion. I was happy to sleep but awoke to such a heavy depression (Had some personal issues crop up in those 32 hours too) that I just couldnt drag myself out of bed. Once I did, all I wanted to do was find comfort, and I hadn't cleaned out the cabinets just yet (Foolish mistake thats been remedied as of writing this) so I found comfort in the forms of glorious cheesecake, pizza, and made from scratch cinnamon apple pie with freshly made whipped cream (a couple slices of that pie had me melting). This was over the course of Monday evening, through today (Wednesday not Thursday)this was also only the worst offenders. Meals were not even close to healthy (Chili with beans, Cheesesteak sub from a local pizza joint, and steak/rice/gravy.) All I could manage was to control the portions at least and not to overdo it in all areas at least. When I came back here today and saw all that had been said here and my heart broke a bit knowing what I'd managed to do. It was a reminder too, and I want to thank you all for it. I may have failed but its time to respawn (Glad to get it out of the way early I suppose and show me where exactly I have gone wrong thus-far) I'm going to shake this off, get back up, and keep pressing onward because otherwise, I'd just be forced to look at failure staring at me, mocking me, and I can't stand that. I'll keep failure in the rear view, while keeping my eyes on the future. 

Here is my amended goals for the remainder of the challenge.

Diet

*PORTION COTROL*

Cut out unnatural sugars (Preferably permanently)

Try at least 1 new vegetable every day (Snack, or meal inclusion)

1-2 days a week of Intermittent Fasting (8 on 16 off)

Fitness

Follow the Beginner Body Weight Routine at least 1 to 3 times a week

Use Couch to 5K app 3 times per week. No excuses or exceptions (Not same day as Body Weight Circuit)

Level up Life

Devote 10 minutes to reading or writing every day

Structure a schedule that can be followed dutifully (To help know what to do when instead of flying by the seat of my pants)

I've loosed the reins slightly but added smaller, more achievable goals that also intertwine (Multiple birds, few stones as possible) 

I have new strength and better goals I believe. Feel free to speak your minds and throw me advice where applicable. I look forward to reading!

@bker1370 Thanks for the encouraging literature and it seems quite adequate in its timing too.

@Rebel_Timelord I am quite happy with the c25k app and also happy to have a fan of one of my favorite fantasy worlds (The good doctor) following me in this quest.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, pyrotech0001 said:

I may have failed but its time to respawn (Glad to get it out of the way early I suppose and show me where exactly I have gone wrong thus-far) I'm going to shake this off, get back up, and keep pressing onward because otherwise, I'd just be forced to look at failure staring at me, mocking me, and I can't stand that. I'll keep failure in the rear view, while keeping my eyes on the future. 

I took an entrepenerial course last year. The trainer said something that sticks with me: "If you're going to fail, do it quickly."

Rather than have last week define you, you used it as a learning experience and allowed yourself the flexibility to readjust.

Glad to read you're enjoying C25K. I'm not running this challenge, but you've got me missing it enough that I may do so on my next challenge.

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

Hey. I know you feel bad about what went wrong, but you have done the best thing possible in using it as a lesson and making changes.

I'm going to let you in on a secret here... **Shhhh! Whisper now**  

In the beginning you are going to make mistakes and you're going to slip up. That's because what you're trying to do in hard! You're trying to change habits that have been built over years and years. if it was easy then heck, we'd all be doing it! But it's not. 

So I'll tell you another thing that you're going to do. You're going to pick yourself back up, you're going to learn from your mistakes and you're going to keep going until this becomes easy

What you're NOT going to do is feel bad that you made mistakes or see it as a failure. You faced an Epic Boss and you didn't beat him first try?!! When you're health points were already low from battling Self Esteematron and the Depressionator (cheesy I know, sorry :D)   Well now it's time for Round 2 and this time you have learnt some tricks to help you and you've taken out his armour  i.e. getting rid of all the crap in the house. Round  2 is on! **Ding ding!**

I think you have absolutely done the right thing by altering your goals. Small steps that form the basis of permanent change are what it's all about, and cutting sugar is a really worthwhile goal. It will help you massively in the long run. There are a couple of things I would suggest though. 

Rather than thinking of your goals as having a fail/succeed outcome (which runs the risk of "I failed so now I might as well quit! Where'd that cheesecake go???"), why not think of it as something to aim for each day?

That way every day you complete your goal is a success but you don't feel like you've blown the whole thing if you do slip up. At the end of the week you can score yourself as XX out of 7. Or you could have a point system. Every day you achieve your goal you get a point, if you succeed every day during the week you get 3 bonus points, making a scoring system of 1-10 for the week.  Just a thought. :)

The other thing I was going to say was that trying 1 new vegetable each day seems like a hard thing to do. Not only will you have to find 7 new vegetables, but figure out what to do with each one. Plus you'll probably have leftovers that will go to waste if you're having a different veg the next day. 

Why not simply aim to eat vegetables evey day and award yourself bonus points for every new vegetable you try?

Sorry for the rambling, I'm a little sleep deprived right now. ;) I hope some of that^^ is useful to you and I'm so glad that you are sticking around. :encouragement: 

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Been following along and I think it's great that you leaped into this, guns blazing, and that you're still with it despite some setbacks. I could tell you, most of us could tell you, that our journeys are mostly setbacks. Success is mostly a matter of getting up one more time than you fall down.

But in response to  your comment that eating paleo requires preparation, I do have some advice to make that easier. This little routine changed my life, diet-wise.

1. Get a Foreman Grill. Even a small one.

2. Buy a bunch of pork chops and some ziplock bags. My routine is, when I'm at the grocery store, I buy pretty much whatever they have on sale (usually because it expires soon).

3. While you're there, buy the cheapest pack of frozen veg you can find. California mix, oriental mix, julienne. Whichever.

4. Take the pork chops home and put two or three of them into each zip-lock bag. Make a neat stack of them in the freezer.

So now, whenever you have to eat, and you haven't made other arrangements (no fresh veg, no fresh meat), you just plug in your foreman, thaw your pork chops enough to separate them (I find tossing the stack in the microwave for a minute, flipping them and doing it again usually does the trick), put them on the grill. Put a cup of veg in a bowl, cover with water, microwave for 5 minutes, check if they're warm, if not another couple of minutes.

(I also liberally salt everything while cooking, and I also like allspice on my pork, but you can experiment to taste)

And in twelve minutes you'll have a perfectly acceptable, perfectly paleo meal. It won't be fine cuisine. But it'll be tasty enough, 100% paleo, and super, super easy. If I'm in a rush, running late, whatever, I can come home, plop my kid down with his homework, and have dinner for three on the table in less than twenty minutes.

Happy hunting!

• Like 3

Nimdyd: Level: 2, Human Assassin -  "Not In My Dungeon, You Don't."

STR:5 DEX:4 CON:7 INT:2 WIS:3 CHA:2

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 Current Challenge: 4

"The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second-best time is now."

-Taoist proverb

4 hours ago, pyrotech0001 said:

@bker1370 Thanks for the encouraging literature and it seems quite adequate in its timing too.

Glad to be of help.  Tank posts us an inspirational speech like that in our Ranger Guildhall every week (sometime on Sunday, usually in the morning).  This just so happened to be this week's.  However, his speeches are usually quite timely in their application.  They frequently are just what we all need to hear at just the right time.

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

I don't think it's "failing" so much as realizing what you need to do when you hit a snag! I think if you kept trying to push through then you would be doing yourself a disservice. :D Good luck with the rest of your challenge!

• Like 1

Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try. - Gail Devers

Current challenge: New Game

Previous challenges: 2017 Challenges: Strategy 2Strategy 1 | 1-3 1-2 | 1-1 | Reset
2016 Challenges: 432 | 1 | .5

Hey all, So far I'm still on track in the fitness section of my goals, and diet goals are still strong for the moment. Today I got my hands on the ever dreaded in my household spinach. Albeit it was in a salad of dried cranberries, walnuts, sprinkle of feta cheese, grilled chicken, and some sauce I found to be too strong for my taste. Other than the sauce, everything else was great and well portioned for the package I grabbed on the way to work (premade salad but organic and locally sourced). My feelings on spinach are not as dark as they once were (I Can see why Popeye could down can after can of the stuff). As for the life goals, I'm reading again although not particularly with books but more like online research (Which is still reading technically =p) and through that research I am building something that resembles a routine that can allow flexibility when needed. All in all, I'm enjoying a nice comeback.

@Guzzi I Actually really like the point system idea you put forth and I want to use it in my grading scale on my next 4 week challenge. Thanks for making something generally hard to judge overall, a lot more simple in the form of a recognizable system. Makes it easier to judge progress this way too and the extra 3 points from following through a full 7 days of GOAL X Seems like a good motivator. *Side note* I did not necessarily mean a new veg everyday but vegetables in general with that goal.

@Nimdyd

@deathbyshiny

@bker1370

You are all also right about me not needing to call this a failure. More of a setback really (Which is not uncommon in the business of being a hero now is it?)

Thanks for the encouragement all and helping me stay accountable!

• Like 4
On 2.7.2016 at 6:08 AM, pyrotech0001 said:

@GuzziToday I got my hands on the ever dreaded in my household spinach. Albeit it was in a salad of dried cranberries, walnuts, sprinkle of feta cheese, grilled chicken, and some sauce I found to be too strong for my taste. Other than the sauce, everything else was great and well portioned for the package I grabbed on the way to work (premade salad but organic and locally sourced). My feelings on spinach are not as dark as they once were (I Can see why Popeye could down can after can of the stuff).

Sounds yummy! I have yet to make spinach salad, mostly because the spinach at the farmer's stand is rough and I prefer to put it in risotto, pasta etc.

Hey all, sorry for the MIA (My computer died XP) Well its fixed and I'm back to report in. 

Scale:Bronze=1-3 Silver=4-6 Gold=7-10

Score based on number of days achieved. Full completion bonus points awarded for total of 10 points.

Example. Goal is 7 days total of Eating paleo. Reality completed 7 days for 7 points+3 points for achieving the goal.

Diet                                                                                                                                  Diet Overall Score      7/10 (GOLD Star) 

*PORTION COTROL*

Cut out unnatural sugars (Preferably permanently)                                                                7 Days Achieved   10/10 (GOLD STAR!!!)

Eat at least 1 vegetable every day (Snack, or meal inclusion)                                                5 Days Total           5/10 (Silver Star)

1-2 days a week of Intermittent Fasting (8 on 16 off)                                                              2 Days Achieved  10/10 (GOLD STAR!!!)

Fitness                                                                                                                       Fitness Overall Score      4/10 (Bronze Star)

Follow the Beginner Body Weight Routine at least 1 to 3 times a week                                  1 Days Achieved     3/10 (Bronze Star)

Use Couch to 5K app 3 times per week.                                                                                 2 Days Achieved     5/10 (Silver Star)

Level up Life                                                                                                        LVL Up Life Overall Score      4/10 (Bronze Star)

Devote 10 minutes to reading or writing every day                                                                 6 Days Achieved     6/10 (Silver Star)

Structure a schedule that can be followed dutifully                                                                 0 Days Achieved     0/10 (No Stars)

Total Score       5/10 (Silver Star)

Well, I see where I can improve, and where I am happy with. I never got around to making that structured schedule but really, since life is kinda hectic, even if I made it idk if I could have followed through. I'd need to make more of a task list of things I'd want to achieve that day based on my overall goals as well as those listed here. I'm happy to be learning throughout this process and I am looking forward to actually starting a real 4 week challenge soon.

@Guzzi, @bker1370, @Nimdyd, @Kucki68, @deathbyshiny, @Rebel_Timelord, Thank you all for the support and following along with me. I hope this score system isn't too convoluted for y'all as it helps me have a quantifiable system of achievement, but I want it to be understandable for people who want to keep up with me. Anyone who has ideas for the next 4 week challenge goals feel free to suggest them to me! I'd love to hear from you all!

• Like 4

Yaaaaaay! Looking good! It's great to see how you've stuck to those goals even though you couldn't get online. Well done!

I hope you don't mind but I shared your thread with a another newbie who is looking at joining in the new challenge. I was explaining how having a grading system is important so that you can keep working past any slips rather than feeling like you've failed the whole thing. I also explained that I expected you to come back strong for the next challenge! (Not knowing that you were suffering technical issues) :) 

As for your next challenge, I'd stick with the same goals. See if you can make these into permanent changes. Just my two cents. ;) 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

@Guzzi Thanks for the idea for the point system, as you can see, its useful. I also feel honored you'd send a newbie my way for anything being a newbie myself and all. For the next challenge the Diet and Fitness goals will remain the same, the LVL up life is going to be slightly changed. Will tag ya when I Throw up my challenge later on and see what you think. I'd like these habits to become permanent changes and I think after doing them for 4 weeks rather than a week +/- a few days will go a long way to establishing these routines.

• Like 1