Yet another new recruit

I've spent a considerable amount of time reading a lot of the past NF blog posts but this is my first time "joining". My story seems similar to many others (in a good way). I realized in August that I was in the worst shape of my life at age 34 and with a 1 year old. I started with a variant of Atkins (TNT diet, not too far off from the concepts of Paleo) and I did the Couch to 5K program starting in October. I did run my first 5K (the longest I've ever run in my life, by the way) on New Years Day (36 minutes). Since that time, I've basically hit a slump. I haven't regressed too much (thankfully). Sticking to my diet about half the time with relatively minimal exercise. I haven't deteriorated too much, but my gains have stopped as well. I've signed up for another 5K in a month, and I'm planning on a Sprint Triathlon in June. I've bought the Rebel Strength guide, but have to decide my priorities (running/triathlon vs weight training).

I started to a shade more than 250lb and now I'm hovering in the low 230's (228 as a low so far).

My "Level 50" character - a healthy person who will live as long as I can for my family who is a role model for my children and able to keep up in life's activities without my body slowing me down.

Nice to meet everyone!

-Brian

glad you're here! congrats on all your progress already! slumps do happen sometimes but a great way to get through them is to try something new and challenging. personally, i like taking fitness classes at the gym - it exposes me to new ways of getting and staying fit and sometimes i find new activities i actually enjoy :) spring is just around the corner so pretty soon the weather will be nicer for things like biking and hiking...or sports...or....

From one new recruit to another - hi!

Congrats on running that 5K; as somebody with the endurance and speed of a

, I admire what it must take to do something like that. Doing a triathlon sounds exciting. Can't wait to hear how that goes for you.

"Oh while I live, to be the ruler of life, not a slave, to meet life as a powerful conqueror, and nothing exterior to me will ever take command of me." - Walt Whitman

Wake up...

!